Who replaces Ten Hag?

YouMo90

Laurent Blanc - Caretaker. By Christmas, He is a dead man walking unless things drastically improve. It's becoming eerily ole/Moyes saga again pre-winter schedule of results

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I'd genuinely like us to go for McKenna, if we can have reasonable confidence on ability to get respect from the squad. Knows most of the side, got best out of Bruno, and Rashy, Shaw and co. were very good as well/

And this is obviously after we fix the recruitment structure, where the recruitment team is the one deciding who to sign instead of the manager

flameinthesun

I'd genuinely like us to go for McKenna, if we can have reasonable confidence on ability to get respect from the squad. Knows most of the side, got best out of Bruno, and Rashy, Shaw and co. were very good as well/

And this is obviously after we fix the recruitment structure, where the recruitment team is the one deciding who to sign instead of the manager
The problem with Mckenna is that this current United football structure has swallowed and spat out more experienced and resolute managers. Throwing Mckenna into the seat when he is going to face all the same problems as the previous managers probably won't make a difference.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude

Are you out of your mind? We have to get a manager with a cv much better than Mckennas.

Hughie77

Mckenna is doing a great job at Ipswich, so is Carrick at Boro.. both of them are quality coaches and managers . Those two wouldn't gey the respect at Utd off the players you'd get maybe 70% of them ,until the transfer structure changes then coaches of there quality seen be others but not at utd won't get chances

Marcus

Maybe we don't have to replace EtH. Just start vicious rumours that Conte will be the next United manager if things don't improve. Let's use psyops for good.

FortunaUtd

Keep Ten Hag until the summer and then get in Nagelsmann after the Euros. Let us pray we also have new footballing executives by then.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
We’d have to make adjustments to the squad, but we need to anyway so it doesn’t change much in that sense. I don’t think Rangnick or his style of football wouldn’t work here, outside of a short interim period we’ve not really tried it. To me that style makes more sense for us than the way Ajax play, though with Ten Hag he admitted that’s not what we’re building toward anyway.
Probably fits better here than in the EtH thread (also @VP89 ), the question if Marco Rose could be a replacement for EtH. The problem is that anyone replacing EtH now has to be willing and able to work with the current squad. Everything else just ends in the next huge rebuild that United shouldn't be willing to afford due to it burning through time and money. So that's why I think Rose is a bad fit. A more versatile manager probably would be better.

However if you were willing to finally buy him the defenders needed to play a high line I could see him working.

And I don't see his CV as a problem. His time at Dortmund wasn't super convincing, but he had to deal with injury issues throughout the season that are on par to what we have seen at United and still was getting results and kept Dortmund in second place. Also I am pretty sure that the timing was just unlucky, as local boy Terzic won the cup as caretaker and then stayed at the club as "Technical Director" during Rose's time. That made him a lame duck from day one by no fault of his own.

Just imagine you Graham Potter starts the job at United after Ole had his caretaker half season and won the FA cup during this. And have Ole hanging around Carrington all the time. That's about how that Dortmund season was for Rose.

Matt Varnish

Probably the only manager I would want here, but not under this current structure. I would fully believe Carlo would put some of these players to the sword and get us playing some kind of recognisable football.
He certainly worked his magic at Everton, until he bailed out when Real came knocking.

Matt Varnish

Laurent Blanc - Caretaker. By Christmas, He is a dead man walking unless things drastically improve. It's becoming eerily ole/Moyes saga again pre-winter schedule of results
I wanted Blanc when Fergie retired, and after Moyes was sacked.
Not so sure now, he's more abrasive towards players than ETH.

FCAES_7

Not sure if been mentioned, but if we will replace Ten Hag (I think we shouldn't) , and I know I will be butchered for bringing it up, I would get Ole back. we played our best football under him since Fergie, but then Came the Ronaldo issue and went all down hill! I just feel he was treated unfairly by the board and fans, and I don't know any manager that will accept the circus we are in, he knows most of the players, wanted our big signing in Sancho might help there, and then assess by end of the year when the takeover or or whatever happens with the club is clear.

mu4c_20le

I wanted Blanc when Fergie retired, and after Moyes was sacked.
Not so sure now, he's more abrasive towards players than ETH.
He would've been great right after Fergie. The team needed someone strong and reputable to maintain its standards during a crucial period of transition.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
He would've been great right after Fergie. The team needed someone strong and reputable to maintain its standards during a crucial period of transition.
Mourinho was definitely the man for the job at the time. We had an aging squad but still full of warriors. He would've won us another league title, we would've gone into the wilderness after but we ended up doing that anyway.

Affirmation

https://x.com/StretfordPaddck/status/1718945505160442071?s=20

We could have had it. Michael Carrick was giving more responsibility to Kieran McKenna and Mike Phelan was being fazed out. They were picking the right lineups for the time and the team was playing a lot better and were more together. I think it's clear that Ole Gunnar Solskjaer had begun to turn away more from the progressive influence that both Carrick and McKenna brought when the results began to slide a bit, that was his mistake. Ultimately though, Ole just wasn't going to work out long term. I still don't get why the club didn't give Carrick and McKenna the chance to turn it around though. Especially when we could have brought in a sporting director to help stabilise things and let them make changes to the coaching staff. Meh, would have been better than what we got anyway.

luke511

No way, he was very recently awful at Lyon.

FujiVice

We'll be in a position like we were in 2021. We'll sack Ten Hag and wait until the summer for a proper replacement. I just dont see who takes over now.

luke511

We need a manager that the players will respect, someone that was a great footballer, and has the balls to drop Rashford and/or Bruno when they're playing badly. Zidane would be the perfect solution but I really don't see us being so lucky. I'm curious whether Carrick has it in him.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Rooney, Meulensteen and Poch all suggested without a hint of irony.

Absolute madness.
He would probably end up being a mistake like the rest of our previous managers, but at least Poch would use the players he has instead of making us go through another round of transfer market madness. After ten years we should be replacing to refine the squad, rather than replacing to rebuild yet again.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

Not sure if been mentioned, but if we will replace Ten Hag (I think we shouldn't) , and I know I will be butchered for bringing it up, I would get Ole back. we played our best football under him since Fergie, but then Came the Ronaldo issue and went all down hill! I just feel he was treated unfairly by the board and fans, and I don't know any manager that will accept the circus we are in, he knows most of the players, wanted our big signing in Sancho might help there, and then assess by end of the year when the takeover or or whatever happens with the club is clear.
Once again we are infiltrated by Liverpool fans.

gaffs

:lol: :lol:

I hate using laughing smilies, but this is honestly ridiculous.

De Zerbi is PL proven after one good season at Brighton? With a team great setup above him picking the players, a squad left behind by Potter that was already on the up, under no pressure whatsoever, it's absolutely night and day to what he'd have to deal with at United.
Why is that ridiculous?

Ineos have recruited Farioli who has had a superb start at Nice. If the apprentice is working there, why not recruiter sorcerer at United?

He has taken Brighton to the next level. To European football. Look at his success at Sassuolo too.

Yes, Potter did a great job and their recruiting and analytics dept are first class, but De Zerbi is the one coaching them.

He has been able to stamp his style on the team. Something Ten Hag hasn't been able to do.

He's done nothing in his career to suggest he could handle the huge pressure, the inflated egos, and the extra responsibility he'd have here.
ETH had no experience in dealing with big ego players and it shows.

Some may argue he made a right royal feck up of his handling of some of United's starts.

He couldn't keep Ronaldo on side and where did that leave us? With Wout Weghorst.
Fallen out with Sancho at a time when we need wing options. He decided to vent his frustrations at the Arsenal loss by calling out Sancho. Sancho may be a pr1ck, but what good has come from that?
Stripped Maguire of the captaincy. Can't sell him and now he is starting in front of Varane.
Gives the captaincy to Bruno when all can see he is not upto it. Why did he give it to Bruno? Because he probably thought Bruno would throw a wobbly if he didn't get it.

Even despite that, there's a chance that he could, given time, end up being a success here, but we'd undoubtedly have some very low points, and the fans would need to show some serious patience (the kind that Ten Hag isn't getting) when we inevitably have dips. Brighton are currently on a 4 match winless streak in the league, and are on 1 win in 7 in all competitions, that kind of form would be causing an uproar if it were United.

We can't afford to just follow the "If they don't work in his system, they are out" approach you suggest - if we could then we'd have done it with Ten Hag, as it is we have 2 emergency loan signings and a 37 year old Jonny Evans getting game time because the squad is threadbare and we don't have the money to get people in.
Yes, Brighton are on a poor run right now - they have lost to Chelsea, Villa and City in the last 7 games. All teams that United would struggle against.
Agree, expectations are very different, but consider why expectations are lower?
Because Brighton and De Zerbi have a cheap at feck team.

He brought his Brighton team, costing £16m to OT and played us off the park.

I would argue that De Zerbi is better equipped today to take on United than ETH was when he was appointed 18 months ago.

FCAES_7

Once again we are infiltrated by Liverpool fans.
There is nothing worst than calling me a Liverpool fan, but I forgive you!! back to the discussion if and that is a big IF who would take the position as manager till end of the season (Ole might not even take it) with all the circus surrounding the club as a whole. Ole finished 3rd and 2nd in his full seasons as manager a thing that didn't happen since SAF , was one save away from a European title, had our biggest victory in EPL history. He is not a bad manager as we paint him out to be, he struck a bad form before he got sacked even Ragnnick a football philosopher wasn't able to steady the ship after! he was facing a dominant City the best Liverpool team in more than 25years.

THE ZOL

Daddy Sancho
Supports
Al-Merreikh (Omdorman)
I don’t get why the Rene Meulensteen shout is being ridiculed.

The reason why we are in this mess in the first place is that we gave the keys to Moyes and he tore down an structure that was already equipped to, at the very least, be a serious contender if not dominate English football while being very competitive in Europe also. It is totally bizarre that the SAF system that was a guaranteed success was totally dismantled upon his retirement. The subsequent lack of continuity that followed has seen us move further and further away from the United we recognise and love. Ironically enough, our best period in the post SAF era was with a total novice of a manager, albeit with ex-players and coaches who understood what it was like to play for United and how instill the values, ethos and culture we associate with United on a day-to-day basis.

As for Rene, it is well known that he, alongside Carlos Querioz, was the tactical brain for the last great SAF teams. He was responsible for training drills when we were the team that had the most devestating in transitions in the world. Have a look at his book; René Meulensteen & Man Utd Methods of Success (2007-2013).

Not only does Rene understand the winning culture United had, he developed it. He is also acutely aware of the intense demands of the Premier League and how to train and select a squad that is able to succeed in that sort of environment.

Another thing Rene has in his locker is he coached the children at United. This is advantageous for several reasons. Firstly, prior relationships with our Carrington products such as Rashford and McTominay. Secondly, it’s clear that this United squad does not react well to tough love and Ten Hag doesn’t have the emotional intelligence to take that into account. Somebody that has literally coached children is probably better at handling the fragile egos at United. Football management is not just football tactics. It’s people management too. Coaches like Ten Hag, Mourinho and LvG didn’t understand this.

People say that we can’t sack Ten Hag because there is no alternative. Why should Ten Hag be given a free reign to keep up on this downward spiral we’ve been on since the 7-0 at Anfield in March? It’s a case of damage limitation.

Meulensteen in tandem with Mick Phelan would be perfect for a transitional period in order to steady the ship until a DOF puts in a football structure in place and we can get a higher profile of manager.

The-Mezzala

Mckenna is doing a great job at Ipswich, so is Carrick at Boro.. both of them are quality coaches and managers . Those two wouldn't gey the respect at Utd off the players you'd get maybe 70% of them ,until the transfer structure changes then coaches of there quality seen be others but not at utd won't get chances
Carrick would he is a United legend and achieved more in the game than all those bums bar Casemiro and Varane have in football. He might be the best we can get also. I think De Zerbi is holding out for the City job and there not that many coaches out there better than Ten Hag tbh. The McKenna and Carrick suggestions make sense considering the squad we have.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
We need a manager that the players will respect, someone that was a great footballer, and has the balls to drop Rashford and/or Bruno when they're playing badly. Zidane would be the perfect solution but I really don't see us being so lucky. I'm curious whether Carrick has it in him.
I wouldn't want Carrick until there are players in the team who were his ex-team mates. Either that or he becomes highly respected before joining us.

The Hilton

Why is that ridiculous?

Ineos have recruited Farioli who has had a superb start at Nice. If the apprentice is working there, why not recruiter sorcerer at United?

He has taken Brighton to the next level. To European football. Look at his success at Sassuolo too.

Yes, Potter did a great job and their recruiting and analytics dept are first class, but De Zerbi is the one coaching them.

He has been able to stamp his style on the team. Something Ten Hag hasn't been able to do.
It's ridiculous because of how matter of fact the post was about how "if you don't fit his system, you're out". That's fantasy when looking at the United squad, we have 2 emergency loan players who are starting most games, along with a 37 year old Jonny Evans, as we can't afford to cover players who are injured, let alone phase out players who aren't an ideal fit.

Even discounting that, it's still not a very good suggestion - De Zerbi's biggest achievement is a good season with Brighton, coming in to a team comfortable in possession, that has been put together by their excellent data driven recruitment department. There was very little pressure on him or the team, given the players they lost. He's done a good job coaching them to play his style, but he was appointed because the team was ready for that. We're an entirely different proposition - we don't have players as comfortable in possession, we have extremely high expectations and there's a huge amount of pressure, we don't have a good recruitment system and have only just started to use data. There's nothing on De Zerbi's CV that suggests he's a good fit. Having said that, he could eventually turn us into a top possession based side, but we'd have to endure a lot of poor results during the transitional period, and it would require likely even more patience than that which has already run out for Ten Hag with some fans.

lex talionis

Regardless of who we might bring in, our big name players will do as they wish when it suits them.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
No one will do well with United until the club itself changes, it's pure delusion to think anyone can make this club great from this point and onwards by themselves, whether player, manager or director.
Club is rotten to the core and needs a giant load of pesticide before any building can be done.
You guys should just give up, you are customers and not supporters in their eyes.
Gary Neville pretty much agrees - and I certainly agree that until the vampires are exposed to sunlight and go "pooofff", nothing will improve

https://www.skysports.com/football/...uld-struggle-in-this-old-trafford-environment

Pscholes18

At this point if ETH is sacked I'd love a De Zerb type who would get us playing exciting possession filled football that CREATES CHANCES as we see Brighton do week in week out but at the same time has the backbone not to pander to any player on any wage at the club. Then again that's what I thought we were getting with ETH.

Seriously would give feck all if Rash and Bruno were sold. People act as if they are world class untouchable face of the club players and its just not true. Both avg at best. We could get a lot of money for Rash.

glasgow 21

We sell Fernandez, Sancho, Rashford Maguire ,Shaw, Casemiro & Antony with manager having no say in the matter and re invest proceeds plus 100m in team.

If its not ETH then Marcelo Gallardo or Rubien Amorim

umairmufc

No one should replace at this point but I believe SAF will be coming back as a sporting director.

gaffs

It's ridiculous because of how matter of fact the post was about how "if you don't fit his system, you're out". That's fantasy when looking at the United squad, we have 2 emergency loan players who are starting most games, along with a 37 year old Jonny Evans, as we can't afford to cover players who are injured, let alone phase out players who aren't an ideal fit.
I accept that circumstances with injuries dictate. But I honestly don't think that De Zerbi would completely drop his principles because he has a couple of injuries.

ETH has abandoned any hope of playing out of the back and now has his ball playing keeper punting it long.

Ten Hag abandoned what was working, i.e. Hannibal in midfield, and brought back McTominay just because he nicked a couple of goals.

It dont think you see these decisions from De Zerbi. Case in point, Evan Ferguson scores a hatrick v Newcastle. Next game, he is on the bench v United because De Zerbi believes Welbeck fits his system better v United.

Even discounting that, it's still not a very good suggestion - De Zerbi's biggest achievement is a good season with Brighton, coming in to a team comfortable in possession, that has been put together by their excellent data driven recruitment department. There was very little pressure on him or the team, given the players they lost. He's done a good job coaching them to play his style, but he was appointed because the team was ready for that. We're an entirely different proposition - we don't have players as comfortable in possession, we have extremely high expectations and there's a huge amount of pressure, we don't have a good recruitment system and have only just started to use data. There's nothing on De Zerbi's CV that suggests he's a good fit. Having said that, he could eventually turn us into a top possession based side, but we'd have to endure a lot of poor results during the transitional period, and it would require likely even more patience than that which has already run out for Ten Hag with some fans.
Yes, we are in a very different position, but we need to make a drastic change and hire a manager who bring in and stick to a system of possession-based football. Agree, there could be bumps in the road, but counter attacking, transitional football does not work at the top level. It is far too reliant on individual brilliance and the right kind of opportunities from the opposition. You cant just hire another manager to do the same thing and hope he brings form back to Rashford and Bruno.

Re De Zerbi's record, would you have said there was anything in Postecoglou's record to suggest that he could apply his methods on Spurs so quickly?

I don't believe that our players can't be coached to be more comfortable in possession. It would take a couple of signing to come in be linchpins of the new system, but I trust that with a good DoF and a coach like De Zerbi, we would start to see progress.

At the moment, we are going nowhere and there is little point in investing transfer more windows trying to become this ETH transitional side, as the players he has brought in for this, namely Mount, he doesn't play.

The Hilton

I accept that circumstances with injuries dictate. But I honestly don't think that De Zerbi would completely drop his principles because he has a couple of injuries.

ETH has abandoned any hope of playing out of the back and now has his ball playing keeper punting it long.

Ten Hag abandoned what was working, i.e. Hannibal in midfield, and brought back McTominay just because he nicked a couple of goals.

It dont think you see these decisions from De Zerbi. Case in point, Evan Ferguson scores a hatrick v Newcastle. Next game, he is on the bench v United because De Zerbi believes Welbeck fits his system better v United.

Yes, we are in a very different position, but we need to make a drastic change and hire a manager who bring in and stick to a system of possession-based football. Agree, there could be bumps in the road, but counter attacking, transitional football does not work at the top level. It is far too reliant on individual brilliance and the right kind of opportunities from the opposition. You cant just hire another manager to do the same thing and hope he brings form back to Rashford and Bruno.

Re De Zerbi's record, would you have said there was anything in Postecoglou's record to suggest that he could apply his methods on Spurs so quickly?

I don't believe that our players can't be coached to be more comfortable in possession. It would take a couple of signing to come in be linchpins of the new system, but I trust that with a good DoF and a coach like De Zerbi, we would start to see progress.

At the moment, we are going nowhere and there is little point in investing transfer more windows trying to become this ETH transitional side, as the players he has brought in for this, namely Mount, he doesn't play.
Ok so you've made a few points here, and some of them are reasonable so I'll try to address them individually.

ETH has not abandoned his hope of playing out from the back, nor did his style ever preclude long balls. You're also taking his use of the word "transitional" to mean counter attacking, when that isn't the system he's trying to put in place at all. We're currently aiming for an approach similar to Klopp in his Dortmund and early Liverpool days, winning the ball back in dangerous areas and trying to control the opposition that way. We're actually very good at generating those turnovers, we just haven't been able to convert them into chances or goals as well as we'd like. You can not like the system he's trying to put in place, but to be able to debate about it you have to represent it accurately, you haven't in that post.

Regarding Postecoglou, his record involves regularly winning things, he's won the league title at most of his clubs and at Celtic he did so in a high pressure environment where he was expected to win, nothing less was acceptable, and that's an important feather to have in the cap. It's also worth keeping in mind that he's only 3 months into his time at Spurs, and while their start has been great it remains to be seen how he fares over a longer period. But his CV is way above De Zerbi's at the moment.

As for De Zerbi, you're offering him a benefit of the doubt that you aren't allowing Ten Hag. If it would take a couple of lynchpins for the new system to work, then a fair comparison to the current situation would be for both of those lynchpins to be injured, and us scratching around in the bargain bucket for emergency loan signings.

I do agree with you about Mount not playing, I'd rather see him playing more regularly and us going all in with this new system, the only way we'll get better at it is by sticking with it through the bad times (as we would need to if we brought DZ in).

spiriticon

If no manager can seem to train progressive football into our hopeless team, then I'm not against giving Antonio Conte a run.

In terms of setting up a proper defence and counterattacking team, he's pretty good at it.

gaffs

Ok so you've made a few points here, and some of them are reasonable so I'll try to address them individually.

ETH has not abandoned his hope of playing out from the back, nor did his style ever preclude long balls. You're also taking his use of the word "transitional" to mean counter attacking, when that isn't the system he's trying to put in place at all. We're currently aiming for an approach similar to Klopp in his Dortmund and early Liverpool days, winning the ball back in dangerous areas and trying to control the opposition that way. We're actually very good at generating those turnovers, we just haven't been able to convert them into chances or goals as well as we'd like. You can not like the system he's trying to put in place, but to be able to debate about it you have to represent it accurately, you haven't in that post.
I understand what he meant by "transitional" football. But he abandoned if after a couple of games. Just like he abandoned his plan of playing out of the back at the start of last season once beaten by Brighton and Brentford.

The idea was to have 2 x 8s (Mount and Bruno) playing further up the field. It left us completely exposed and wide open in midfield. As seen v Wolves and Spurs. And this was when we had a full team, minus Hojland.

Regarding Postecoglou, his record involves regularly winning things, he's won the league title at most of his clubs and at Celtic he did so in a high pressure environment where he was expected to win, nothing less was acceptable, and that's an important feather to have in the cap. It's also worth keeping in mind that he's only 3 months into his time at Spurs, and while their start has been great it remains to be seen how he fares over a longer period. But his CV is way above De Zerbi's at the moment.
Agree, Postecoglou has more honors to his name, but they are from Japan, Australia and Scotland.
I would argue that successful years in Seria A and the Premier League counts for just as much as winning trophies in farmers leagues.

As for De Zerbi, you're offering him a benefit of the doubt that you aren't allowing Ten Hag. If it would take a couple of lynchpins for the new system to work, then a fair comparison to the current situation would be for both of those lynchpins to be injured, and us scratching around in the bargain bucket for emergency loan signings.

I do agree with you about Mount not playing, I'd rather see him playing more regularly and us going all in with this new system, the only way we'll get better at it is by sticking with it through the bad times (as we would need to if we brought DZ in).
ETH has had the opportunities to sign his lynchpins - over 400mil spent. De Zerbi and Brighton have spent a quarter of that in the same time period.
Beyond Martinez, I dont think you could say any have been bona fide successes.

hn4united

Would rather have Mourinho Part II if we went back to old managers.

Mourinho did well with a shit hand. Too bad his ego got in the way and he deservedly got sacked.
I would argue that his ego and arrogance is what our club needs…

MegadrivePerson

Are you out of your mind? We have to get a manager with a cv much better than Mckennas.
I would be open to Mckenna.

We have had multiple failures with managers with a great cv.

There's not exactly an abundance of great managers around currently anyway.

Mckenna would be a really bold interesting choice.