Who replaces Ten Hag?

Gandalf

So what happened to him at Bayern?
The comparatively weak opposition masked a lot of issues at Bayern which first Nagelsman and now Tuchel have discovered. The club was really not open to the degree of change that Nagelsman wanted and fired him for fairly flimsy reasons because he was not a yes man. That is not to say he would be the right choice and his difficulty in getting along with the Bayern board, as bad as they can sometimes be, is a red flag.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Are we approaching poll time yet? There's a solid number of reasonably realistic candidates out there (and some terrifying ones), might as well get a jump on it given Erik's gone as soon as CL maths allows.

WPMUFC

anyone claiming "just get southgate" is as deluded as "nothing is ETH fault" posts. We cannot let that footballing void get anywhere near our club.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Nagelsmann would be my choice. Rest I am not sure.
Pretty much this. Not convinced by the rest, and at least Bayern shouldn’t be in for him. Downside is we’d have to wait until after the euros.

giggs-beckham

Clueless
Are we approaching poll time yet? There's a solid number of reasonably realistic candidates out there (and some terrifying ones), might as well get a jump on it given Erik's gone as soon as CL maths allows.
I remember the poll at what seemed like a similar time.

giggs-beckham

Clueless
Pretty much this. Not convinced by the rest, and at least Bayern shouldn’t be in for him. Downside is we’d have to wait until after the euros.
I've got this nagging feeling he'll go to Liverpool and we'll regret it hard. He is the best we can get

Lee565

Could it be that ten hag has already peaked as coach?

It often happens to managers where they look good for a few years and then fade downwards, maybe his semi final ucl season was his peak or one of those freak one off's where some minnow european side go on a good run, I mean christ spurs were a dodgy var decision and a fit kane away from almost winning it that same season.

AshRK

God yeah, I hope not. Got a bad feeling we’ll end up with Tuchel.
I like tuchel as a coach. I feel if he is appointed we will definitely do well in knock outs type competition and probably win a trophy or two. But his stint with Bayern is a big black mark and then his football is way too pragmatic.

AshRK

Could it be that ten hag has already peaked as coach?

It often happens to managers where they look good for a few years and then fade downwards, maybe his semi final ucl season was his peak or one of those freak one off's where some minnow european side go on a good run, I mean christ spurs were a dodgy var decision and a fit kane away from almost winning it that same season.
I also think he has failed to adapt to the league. I feel he has a huge ego and would not want to listent to people who would say change his tactics. The fact he chose to make an excuse of shots conceded and suggested that is not a concern shows his naivety.

He is a decent coach who will find a decent job elsewhere but I don't think any top side will touch him l

Woziak

So what happened to him at Bayern?
He won the league in his first year, did pretty well in the CL and his wining team scored 97 goals from 34 games, his Red Bull Leipzig team came 3rd and 2nd and he reached the CL semi Final, the youngest manager to ever do that, I’m pretty sure he’ll turn Bayern down for United after the way they treated him, we should just be getting that done asap.

dabronxolivera

Supports
Al Hilal
anyone claiming "just get southgate" is as deluded as "nothing is ETH fault" posts. We cannot let that footballing void get anywhere near our club.
Its like going from sleeping under the bridge into the porch of a building. Same shit. But anyhow ETH needs to get sacked asap to salvage the rest of this season especially if we still want to qualify for CL. I still dont get why someone here would still defend a manager like him. He's a chancer

God yeah, I hope not. Got a bad feeling we’ll end up with Tuchel.
I"ll take Tuchel over the man in charge now

Last edited:

Redstain

Naglesmann or De Zerbi.

I think Julian is underrated given his stint at Bayern and contrasting it to where they are now shows some pedigree. Additionally, he took over one of the best managers of Bayern's recent era with how fantastic they were as a team under Flick.

I think both managers would be a monumental improvement to Erik. I think Erik has respectable accolades in Netherlands but he doesn't show much if anything to be building towards something sustainable at United.

I think there's a very realistic scenario where he begins to stagnate under the new structure, if his standard is so poor with players of his own choosing it's nonsensical to assume the hierarchy / scouts making those decisions for him will have a positive impact. It's not like this United team is lacking for competence there are a multitude of first team internationals who look like they've just met one another as soon as the whistle is blown.

Pscholes18

I’d like to see what Amorim would do with this squad. I genuinely think we have a lot of the parts to make his 3-4-1-2 or 3-4-3 work.
You are talking as if you want to bring in a manager to work with these players.....mate, most of these players need sacking. No one should be made to come in and manager this shite.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
But allegedly they are... they sacked those who sacked him relatively quickly and might now want to fix that mistake.

AneRu

I think it will have to be Nagelsmann or Thiago Motta. We won't have to change much to suit the way they play besides the players we already have to ship out and upgrade on anyway. If the former maintains what he played at Bayern, guess we are looking at a DM, a new 10 and a couple of CBs as key signings.

I think we need to take a serious look at Thiago Motta too. He is doing well at Bologna, he plays football the right way, on the way up and unlike before won't have to bothered by much beyond the actual coaching.

I also hope the INEOS team is watching and seeing what we are seeing then coming to the conclusion that we can't move forward with players like Bruno and Rashford. Get them out and rejig the line behind the striker, maybe get Eze and Olise from Palace or Olise and use Mount as furthest forward midfielder whichever way we do it but we need to move on and not burden the new manager with extracting them out of the team and dealing with all the flak that comes with that call.

CtrlAltDeLigt

Would rather keep ETH if we don’t get Naglesmann.

Those who think Southgate is the answer are probably looking to repeat mistakes of the past. Are you sure Southgate is a tactical saviour who hasn’t managed a club in how long.

Amorim, De Zerbi are too risky, given their experience. Naglesmann on other hand has won a title. Has a distinct style of play, has worked with big players. Also he seems uncompromising in his attitude, which I believe we need going forward.

ETH next season with better players has a better chance to work out than any new inexperienced manager.

Judas

Open to offers

Those who think Southgate is the answer are probably looking to repeat mistakes of the past. Are you sure Southgate is a tactical saviour who hasn’t managed a club in how long.

Amorim, De Zerbi are too risky, given their experience. Naglesmann on other hand has won a title. Has a distinct style of play, has worked with big players. Also he seems uncompromising in his attitude, which I believe we need going forward.

ETH next season with better players has a better chance to work out than any new inexperienced manager.
Does he though? What have you seen to suggest this is true?

AneRu

If we can't get any top target I'd be willing to chance an arm with Keiran McKenna, he hasn't done much but at least you know he can build something coherent and plays the right way. We are too inconsistent and shite at the basics with Erik that we can't achieve anything on this trajectory. Not seriously considering McKenna, by the way, but that's how prepared I am to move on from ETH.

Tarrou

I honestly can’t think of anyone realistic id be super excited about

I’d go with Nagelsman now if it were my choice, and he’s interested

We’d at the very least, be bringing in someone with a style of play befitting a club that wants to dominate games which any major could should want

I’m lost on what Ten Hag is trying to do, but it clearly ain’t that

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Nagelsmann was known to be a fine coach before Bayern so he should be considered. Ideally there would be someone more established but if not, we just have to go with potential.

amolbhatia50k

If we can't get any top target I'd be willing to chance an arm with Keiran McKenna, he hasn't done much but at least you know he can build something coherent and plays the right way. We are too inconsistent and shite at the basics with Erik that we can't achieve anything on this trajectory. Not seriously considering McKenna, by the way, but that's how prepared I am to move on from ETH.
Decent should. I’d prefer him to the likes of Potter and Southgate too. Again we really should not be signing Kerian McKenna at this stage with the infancy of his managerial career but given the names branded about, I’d actually be fine with it.

Walters_19_MuFc

“As a coach, I am where I am today because I had success through a certain training philosophy — complex exercises, tactical behavior to adapt to the opponent. Bayern players weren’t used to this” — Julian Nagelsmann.

And neither will United players.

amolbhatia50k

You are talking as if you want to bring in a manager to work with these players.....mate, most of these players need sacking. No one should be made to come in and manager this shite.
Well said. I get keeping some of it intact but ETH made the same mistake of pretending we need fine tuning. He’s spent a lot of course but the whole we need to play to our strengths / can’t play like Ajax bullshit is a big reason why he has failed. If the next manager too has to “make this lot worked” then like clockwork in a year and a halved time we’ll be sitting here with another version of the same shit team just with even more money spent.

gajender

I’d like to see what Amorim would do with this squad. I genuinely think we have a lot of the parts to make his 3-4-1-2 or 3-4-3 work.
We don't have CB's neither in number nor in quality then there is lack of quality wingbacks or wide midfielders before we even get to issues in other areas of the pitch .

amolbhatia50k

“As a coach, I am where I am today because I had success through a certain training philosophy — complex exercises, tactical behavior to adapt to the opponent. Bayern players weren’t used to this” — Julian Nagelsmann.

And neither will United players.
Good. Change them. The next manager to win the league at United will not be achieving it with what we have anyway. A combined hive mind of Sir Alex, Jose and Pep together would fail with this lot. ETH has failed but if we make the mistake of expecting a manager to make this lot, even with 200m of signings on top, work in the long run, then we are fecked. Even the supposed big names - Bruno as a 10 ensuring you lose the midfield and Rashford the most brainless attacker you’ll find - are not starring in any PL win in their careers.

Irwin99

We're really needing someone to come in with a clear idea of how they want to play, and who will work with the club structure to set a system in place.

It's just so pointless if we bring in another coach who thinks "I have players like Rashford, Bruno, Mctominay, AwB, Maguire etc. so I'll adapt to their strengths as players". Even the best players we have right now, if they don't fit the new manager's approach then they have to leave.

We started the game against Brentford with 6 players who have been here in Ole's first season or longer. The club needs to get better at offloading players who have had so many chances and we need a manager that will have that same level of ruthlessness as Klopp and Arteta have had in building their teams.

Walters_19_MuFc

Whether you think our players are shite or not, ten Hag should be doing a lot better with the squad he has at his disposal.

sparx99

We don't have CB's neither in number nor in quality then there is lack of quality wingbacks or wide midfielders before we even get to issues in other areas of the pitch .
Well we would need 4/5 signings but we need that regardless.

In a 3-4-3 I think there are clear roles for Onana, Martinez, Dalot, Mainoo, Garnacho, Rashford and Hojlund.

If everyone was fit today I’d start the below.

Onana

Varane
Maguire
Martinez

Dalot
Bruno
Mainoo
Shaw

Garnacho
Hojlund
Rashford

Whoever plays alongside Mainoo in our current formation isn’t stopping anything so we may as well not have them and put another CB in.

sparx99

They haven’t downed tools across the board like they did for Rangnick and there are a core of players that I do still like. It was only a few weeks ago we were cheering the photo of Hojlund, Garnacho and Mainoo.

I’m not saying keep them all but I’m up for trying a different formation.

justboy68

If we can't get any of the more established top targets I'd be willing to give O'Neill a go. He's very astute and has high potential imo.

Yakuza_devils

I hope SJR, Brailsford, Berrada and Ashworth already have a plan in place for next season. We need to be prepared to get the new manager and players in early for a good pre-season to get ready for next season.

After 2 years, it's simply not good enough from ETH, no ifs and buts. I can't take another season with ETH with this negative football.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
We need to be smart this time round and embrace the fact that this needs a massive rebuild and that in the meantime the manager will have to work with a hugely flawed squad. Sure having an attacking minded mentality is important but one must know how to switch things around up till we get rid of all the tripe. Thus there's no space for system managers, not yet

I believe that the manager's role should be diluted to that of head coach. We should bring in a top CEO, a top sporting director, dof, technical director and HoR like yesterday.

Once that happens then the head coach will focus mostly on tactics and man management. In such circumstances my choice would be McKenna

A- he speaks English as a first language, he understands the EPL and the country's culture.

B- he knows the mess united are in, whom to rely on and who the bad apples are

C- he certainly knows how to adapt to circumstances (youths, man utd, Ipswich)

D- he utilise a similar system that united currently use (4-2-3-1)

E- he lacks the reputation and the ego to stand to the huge changes united want to implement

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

It seems a return from Nagelsmann to Bayern becomes more and more likely so he is probably out of the race.

With Alonso not moving Liverpool might try to get De Zerbi so this means the 2 best candidates probably gone.

Tarrou

Maybe so, but it's completely unrealistic and basically impossible to do. Who is gonna pay for all that?

Some need to go, obviously, but some need to be worked with and confidence rebuilt. It isn't like we have any choice in the matter either.

The market is just too expensive to do a mass cull and re-buy. It can only happen over a number of windows. Great managers with the right setup around them can do that to players, not just improve their confidence but improve them as players technically and mentally. Fergie and Klopp being the obvious examples, but they are not the only ones.

The best managers don't need to just keep buying more players to improve the team like, for example like Ole (as much as I love the guy, he couldn't do that).

The main issue we've had over the past decade (IMO) is not the managers or the players (whilst some fault is surely on them too) but the setup behind them. feck knows if Ineos are gonna fix that, but if they don't then we're fecked for the forseeable, it doesn't matter who we buy and how much money we spend.

tjarligdrengen

We need to be smart this time round and embrace the fact that this needs a massive rebuild and that in the meantime the manager will have to work with a hugely flawed squad. Sure having an attacking minded mentality is important but one must know how to switch things around up till we get rid of all the tripe. Thus there's no space for system managers, not yet

I believe that the manager's role should be diluted to that of head coach. We should bring in a top CEO, a top sporting director, dof, technical director and HoR like yesterday.

Once that happens then the head coach will focus mostly on tactics and man management. In such circumstances my choice would be McKenna

A- he speaks English as a first language, he understands the EPL and the country's culture.

B- he knows the mess united are in, whom to rely on and who the bad apples are

C- he certainly knows how to adapt to circumstances (youths, man utd, Ipswich)

D- he utilise a similar system that united currently use (4-2-3-1)

E- he lacks the reputation and the ego to stand to the huge changes united want to implement
i was thinking the same about McKenna.

He also is a pragmatic and innovative manager who looks on the upcoming opponents and prepare tactics against them. So often different approaches against different teams.
now we have one… let the other team have tons of shots on us…

I’d say go for him!