Who replaces Ten Hag?

Chairman Steve

The collective hivemind of INEOS know better than to go for Southgate. International football is different to club football and managers who stay in international football for a long time seem to find it difficult to get back into club football. Managing internationals is usually either your first managerial job or your last one.

I remember Chris Coleman getting bigged up from the media for biggish clubs off the back of his Wales stint, but ended up with struggling Sunderland in the Championship followed by stints in China and Greece.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
The collective hivemind of INEOS know better than to go for Southgate. International football is different to club football and managers who stay in international football for a long time seem to find it difficult to get back into club football.
… he said hopefully, but with a sinking realisation. :wenger:

Roboc7

There isn’t a stand out candidate but the current manager doesn’t stand out either and he is as good as sacked. I don’t buy Southgate rumours, I’d say Potter is a possibility though.

I do wonder if Luis Enrique would be interested but could be too much compensation. I do think McKenna will be in the frame of Ipswich go up, would be a risk and maybe too early but wouldn’t shock me if he got the job.

USREDEVIL

Oh feck off! We really are going to end up choosing between that gimp Southgate, Potter or Tuchel. I'd wager Utd never even contacted his agent.
Not that i'm an expert on Bayern, but they don't come across as the type of club to question their prior decision. They are pretty a pretty thoughtful and decisive club.

binary bot
If INEOS make the right changes then it's not the worst thing in the world if we don't get the right guy immediately. Obviously it would quicken the whole process up but restructuring should be happening in the background to ensure switching managers isn't the end of the world.

lex talionis

Pretty much. He so far a has picked his jobs carefully to ensure his own personal development and will now be able to lead his record breaking team into his first CL season. He won't leave, and we also have other indicators for that like Bayern's DoF Eberl just praised his loyalty (as an explanation why Bayern won't be able to get him in the summer). He might still come to United, but not this summer. So he shouldn't be the one to replace EtH.
That's what I thought, and leaving Leverkusen right now would be poor form. I'm still in the camp that we although we might be able to do better than ten Hag, the pickins are slim and we could do a lot worse.

If we were to keep ten Hag, what I would want to see is player recruitment taken out of his hands. Even Martinez, as brilliant as he is, now raises doubts about his ability to remain fit. And I would want to see him wield a firmer hand with malcontents like Rashford. If both were somehow assured, and if the only realistic options were Southgate and Potter, I would keep ten Han for another and last season but I would not extend his contract at this point.

frix26

No issue : Unai Emery. Quickly given Villa an identity. Well-respected abroad and has the nousse to succeed in Europe.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Tuchel is a no brainer really. Yes, he failed in Bayern but it was mainly because in Bayern manager is not in charge. Players are above a manager.
He is perfect manager for us. Proven, knows how to win stuff, loves discipline, plays attacking football and tactically very advanced.

Darlington Padgett

No issue : Unai Emery. Quickly given Villa an identity. Well-respected abroad and has the nousse to succeed in Europe.
I think we need the stability that he might bring, even if he doesn't work out, he will lay the foundations for the next manager.

OsloRed

I do think ten Hag would've done a lot better in a more normal situation, but the question is if it's too far gone by this point. The football we played at points last season was good and the mood around the club was great, but given what has happened this season I'm doubtful we'll ever get back there. A part of me wants us to just go for McKenna and see what happens, the signs are good and a young, exiting manager like him succeeding here would be a great narrative.

Toshey

Supports
Levski Sofia
Since every handsom spanish footballer turns out to be amazing coach, give it Juan Mata and see what happens!

yamo123x

Ive been ETH in all along but i think his time is up now. How a coach can not see how tactically poor we are... and is too stubborn to change the formation, approach and personel. The less said about some of the players and their stinking attitude the better.

For me we need a strong manager who is tactically sound and has the presence/personality to deal with the man utd job. There are very few contenders out there and those that do fit the bill are impossible to get or just wouldnt come.

There are 2 stand outs for me, Unai Emery at Villa, who is gettable IMHO and Naigelsman. Talk today that the latter might be off to Bayern again once he leaves German National team, maybe Tuchel comes into the equation but he is volatile and isnt a long term option really.

ShinjiNinja26

The list of potential new managers is shortening on a weekly basis it seems. I’m really starting to warm to the idea of Emery taking over. It will be difficult to get him out of Villa though, especially if they secure CL football. He also needs the perfect set of conditions to take the job as well, he rejected Newcastle before taking the Villa job as it wasn’t the right fit for him.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Yes he would and I'd put money on the fecking tea lady doing better too!
You probably think you could do a better job yourself
Surely fans now realise success at a small club with hardly any expectations is zero indication of being able to handle managing Man United (De Zerbi)

miliebrowndivorceattorney

Maybe Sean Dyche? Last night, that was a sackable result i haven't seen Ten Hag deliver yet. On the other hand, Everton seem stuck in the same spiral as us: they have a mismatched squad and not really made an overhaul or a clear style. INEOS imo is right to maybe even more than Ten Hag implement a standard routine that is gonna be played throughout the club in all teams. But the Everton result last night shows to me: be carefull what you wish for. We ain't that bad yet. And we certainly should not buy Branthwaite.

spwd

You probably think you could do a better job yourself
Surely fans now realise success at a small club with hardly any expectations is zero indication of being able to handle managing Man United (De Zerbi)
Yes I believe I would because the first thing I'd say is forget absolutely everything that pillock told you.

Surely you now realise success at a smaller club with far better everything than 99% of the league is zero indication of being able to handle managing Man Utd plus the last 11/2 seasons of proof (Erik)

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Yes I believe I would because the first thing I'd say is forget absolutely everything that pillock told you.

Surely you now realise success at a smaller club with far better everything than 99% of the league is zero indication of being able to handle managing Man Utd plus the last 11/2 seasons of proof (Erik)
I didn't advocate for ETH so you can wind your neck in.
I simply pointing out De Zerbi probably isn't better, like Moyes, Ole, Jose, LVG etc

spwd

Maybe Sean Dyche? Last night, that was a sackable result i haven't seen Ten Hag deliver yet. On the other hand, Everton seem stuck in the same spiral as us: they have a mismatched squad and not really made an overhaul or a clear style. INEOS imo is right to maybe even more than Ten Hag implement a standard routine that is gonna be played throughout the club in all teams. But the Everton result last night shows to me: be carefull what you wish for. We ain't that bad yet. And we certainly should not buy Branthwaite.
Yet again another wum.

LordSpud

A lot of people dismiss Southgate out of hand and I’m not his biggest fan but hed sure as shit set them up better than ten hag and get the best out of Rashy and Maguire
Southgate doesnt rate Rashford. That's why he's rarely a 90min guy for him.

Southgate is actually a pretty good judge of character though I will give him that. Will only pick the ones he truly trusts and steered well away from Sancho and Greenwood.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I would be incredibly disappointed in our new leadership if we're not already sounding out a replacement. We can't be left behind in the pursuit of a new manager.

TrailMonkey

Don't want de Zerbi... or Potter TBH.

Emery would probably question his sanity if he was approached to take over from ETH. Shambles of a club entering what might be the start of an upward curve. Lots of questions for him to ask no doubt, and personally I think he'd stay with Villa if he feels he can push their ceiling.

Naglesman I'd take but it's likely he'll stick with the German NT or return to BM. Tuchel has to be on the shortlist.

Telsim

I have yet to be sold on De Zerbi. He has a bit of fire in his personality, at least. Maybe some of that would be good. And has experience in the Premier League. But there are still too many questions about his ability. Lukewarm, but certainly better than Potter and Southgate, or another season of Hagball.

Rojofiam

There’s still a lot of question marks around De Zerbi but he’s certainly a better option than Potter or Southgate for me but that’s a pretty low bar anyway.
I have yet to be sold on De Zerbi. He has a bit of fire in his personality, at least. Maybe some of that would be good. And has experience in the Premier League. But there are still too many questions about his ability. Lukewarm, but certainly better than Potter and Southgate, or another season of Hagball.
I don't care if ETH stays for another season, because with new CBs and a DM I think we would play differently and his style could work much better.

But if he leaves, I don't care about that too much either, and I'd consider De Zerbi as an acceptable replacement...but we will need a lot of new, technical and athletic players for his ideas to work...same with ten Hag.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
I think its a bit odd that Man Utd has become a training ground for coaches. Why should United be De Zerbi's first shot at the big time?

Bayern are looking for a coach, Barca are looking for a coach, Liverpool are looking for a coach. Look at the people they're allegedly going after. I am not saying we should just copy what they are doing. However, its notable that they are looking at people who have won stuff. Whereas our bar to entry seems to be: 'Did ok at a smaller outfit and plays pretty football.'

It just makes you question the ambition. Liverpool are basically broadcasting: We had a top coach in Klopp and we're not going to settle for anyone who doesn't have some record of winning. Whereas linking people like Potter, Southgate and De Zerbi to us makes me think: 'What's the plan here?'

hobbers

Happily take a gamble on De Zerbi compared to the other 'favourites'

What happens when you stick with a failed manager stupidly long. Not only have we pissed away an easy top 5 place, Amorim and Nagels probably set for elsewhere.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
So it's looking like:
  • Nagelsmann to Bayern
  • Xabi Alonso waiting a year to go to Real Madrid
  • Ruben Amorim to Liverpool
  • De Zerbi to Barca? Or Luis Enrique?
If we are to get rid of ten hag, I'd probably put money on it being Potter who comes in. Maybe it's de Zerbi.

Gordon's Hill

I don't care if ETH stays for another season, because with new CBs and a DM I think we would play differently and his style could work much better.

But if he leaves, I don't care about that too much either, and I'd consider De Zerbi as an acceptable replacement...but we will need a lot of new, technical and athletic players for his ideas to work...same with ten Hag.
So your going to guess that if new CBs and a DM join, not that we know who they are or what they will play like, you 'think' he would play a different style and this 'could' work a lot better. Hmmmm.... I think the reality he just needs to go.

ShinjiNinja26

I think its a bit odd that Man Utd has become a training ground for coaches. Why should United be De Zerbi's first shot at the big time?

Bayern are looking for a coach, Barca are looking for a coach, Liverpool are looking for a coach. Look at the people they're allegedly going after. I am not saying we should just copy what they are doing. However, its notable that they are looking at people who have won stuff. Whereas our bar to entry seems to be: 'Did ok at a smaller outfit and plays pretty football.'
According to reports De Zerbi was pretty high up on Bayerns list and was maybe the alternative to Nagelsmann.