Who will be United's big signing this summer?

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
I know it’s an unpopular opinion but the best signing would be a coach like Pochettino, or one of these hungry young modern ones like that Hoffenheim one.. team needs intensity and faster, one touch build up and ruptures of opposing defensive system.
No, he needs to come back at home

Cal?

CR7 fan
I know it’s an unpopular opinion but the best signing would be a coach like Pochettino, or one of these hungry young modern ones like that Hoffenheim one.. team needs intensity and faster, one touch build up and ruptures of opposing defensive system.
The same Pochettino who has his brilliant attacking side well behind United?

Hawks2008

Given how much we like bringing in washed up players we'll probably go for the likes of Vidal.

Varun

Staff
Compare the transfer spending in last 2 years..
Spurs have a quality team and that's how you put points on the table. I really rate Pochettino but it's funny how Spurs fans resort to bringing up spending every time us being ahead of you this season is brought up. Unless of course, you'd rather have our CBs than yours, our striker than yours etc etc.

Sanche7

Vidal will never be our big name signing. He won't cost more than 40 mill and isn't that big a name anymore. I don't think that we will make a big name signing but if the chance arises to sign a world class player, then maybe we might.

Last edited by a moderator:

bebeanderson

Spurs have a quality team and that's how you put points on the table. I really rate Pochettino but it's funny how Spurs fans resort to bringing up spending every time us being ahead of you this season is brought up. Unless of course, you'd rather have our CBs than yours, our striker than yours etc etc.
No, I think recent history suggests that Pochettino would have made better use of the money, brought in better talent and built a more cohesive, and more offensive team.

midnightmare

No, I think recent history suggests that Pochettino would have made better use of the money, brought in better talent and built a more cohesive, and more offensive team.
That's a stretch, I think. Poch has yet to prove he can sign good players and then integrate them as required. His only really notable transfer "wins" have been Alli and perhaps Alderweireld, if you look beyond fitness issues. Wanyama maybe? Who else? Dier? Wimmer? Sissoko? I can't see how you say that he'd have made better use of money when he's not demonstrably done so in the past. He has now had two transfer summers where he's been asked to build from a position of strength.

He may have had lower spend caps, but he's not proved his ability to strengthen the team in the market - so I'd say that the jury remains very much out on that count and to say that history (recent, at that) suggests he'd have made better use of the money than Jose is a massive leap, at best.

Varun

Staff
I don't really care enough to debate a hypothetical. My point was simple. Regardless of how much you've spent compared to us, the simple fact is that your team is as good and given its the players on the pitch that win points and not how much the team spends acquiring these players, that's how the managers should be judged as far as this seasons results are concerned.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
That's a stretch, I think. Poch has yet to prove he can sign good players and then integrate them as required. His only really notable transfer "wins" have been Alli and perhaps Alderweireld, if you look beyond fitness issues. Wanyama maybe? Who else? Dier? Wimmer? Sissoko? I can't see how you say that he'd have made better use of money when he's not demonstrably done so in the past. He has now had two transfer summers where he's been asked to build from a position of strength.

He may have had lower spend caps, but he's not proved his ability to strengthen the team in the market - so I'd say that the jury remains very much out on that count and to say that history (recent, at that) suggests he'd have made better use of the money than Jose is a massive leap, at best.
Besides the players you've mentioned, Son, Dier, Trippier, Davies, Sanchez are all some of the incoming players under Pochettino. And all these should reasonably be seen as successes ... not least because they all usually (or frequently) play in the Spurs starting XI.

Considering that (a) the majority of the current Spurs best XI were signed (or else made first team regulars) under Pochettino; and (b) the entire cost of Spurs' best XI is little more than United paid for Pogba .... it's pretty much beyond debate that Pochettino would have made better use of the money than Mourinho.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
The same Pochettino who has his brilliant attacking side well behind United?
It's brilliant how you take a snapshot in time from a mid-season point ... and ignore the actual end-of-season tables in recent years.

roonster09

FA Cup Predictions 2023/2024 winner
Scout
It's brilliant how you take a snapshot in time from a mid-season point ... and ignore the actual end-of-season tables in recent years.
Yeah because Glaston never used table from mid season rather than end of the season when he was talking about how goal difference adds as a point.

Irish Jet

Supports
Anyone but Rashford
Gianluigi Donnarumma
I would probably stab somebody.

My guess would be Milinkovic-Savic - Classic Mourinho player and Lazio will be looking big money. People say he's too similar to Pogba as if it's a problem, he's actually much stronger defensively and it could make for an immense three in midfield. Alex Sandro or Gareth Bale would be my next guesses.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
Yeah because Glaston never used table from mid season rather than end of the season when he was talking about how goal difference adds as a point.
A large GD does effectively add a point to any gap - but this has precisely nothing to do with my earlier post.

roonster09

FA Cup Predictions 2023/2024 winner
Scout
A large GD does effectively add a point to any gap - but this has precisely nothing to do with my earlier post.
It has. Just like how you used table in midseason to prove whatever point, anyone can use it too.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
It has. Just like how you used table in midseason to prove whatever point, anyone can use it too.
I have sometimes used a table mid-season to evidence a points-gap at that moment in time. I have never used it as implied evidence that the table will stay that way until the season ends. There's a difference between the two things.

Anyhow, this is all off-topic, so my here endeth my comments on the matter.

Mush Yusuf

We definitely require a third midfielder that can sit in next to Matic but can anyone think of someone?

sunama

Baghdad Bob
You want a new toy. I get that.
But consider that that new toy may look all nice and shiny in the window, but our current toy is far more accomplished and superior, in almost every way.
The new toy has never even a won a trophy before and like Moyes (who also had never won a trophy), Poch will most likely fold under the pressure to win to trophies.

Fans need to understand that when there is no pressure, humans can perform brilliantly. But when pressure is exerted on them, those same brilliant humans have a tendency to crack. It takes a very special kind of personality to manage MUFC (as we have found out in the last 3 years) and right now, IMO Jose is probably the only manager on the planet capable of doing what appears to be, a ridiculously difficult job.

RMD83

I don’t think we will see a big marquee name this summer. Maybe a handful of very good promising players to improve the quality throughout the squad. Names like fabininho, milinkovic Savic, kovacic, Jorginho have all been recent links (I accept they all may be spelt wrong but I can’t be bothered to check). I’m not expecting all of these or hold much value to names linked in the papers at this time of the year but I wouldn’t be surprised if this was the level we are looking at. Of course these would be marquee signings to some extent but not like Pogba, Sanchez level signings.

Denis79

Let's give Mourinho the same amount of time, 3-4 years like Poch has had at Spurs before making outrageous statements like that. Let's see where Mourinho will have us by the end of his current contract, I got a feeling it won't be to shabby.

Devil may care

I have sometimes used a table mid-season to evidence a points-gap at that moment in time. I have never used it as implied evidence that the table will stay that way until the season ends. There's a difference between the two things.

Anyhow, this is all off-topic, so my here endeth my comments on the matter.
The thing is, and this is despite the fact I actually like your manager and I much prefer how he sets Spurs up to play than how Jose sets us up to play, the bottom line remains that for all the plaudits you have won precisely nothing, while even in our worst spell for 2 decdes we've picked up 3 trophies in the last 2 seasons, those are the true barometer of success, not making up the numbers in the top 4 or bragging about how little you've spent.

Chairman Woodie

The fullback positions need to be sorted out. I hope Timothy Fosu-Mensah and Axel Tuanzebe can help fill the void at RB. I don't know who can fill the void at LB. But I have long given up on Luke Shaw. Pity about Daley Blind.

I don't see why Herrera or Fellaini can't partner Matic in a midfield three with Pogba.

Cathy Ferguson

The fullback positions need to be sorted out. I hope Timothy Fosu-Mensah and Axel Tuanzebe can help fill the void at RB. I don't know who can fill the void at LB. But I have long given up on Luke Shaw. Pity about Daley Blind.

I don't see why Herrera or Fellaini can't partner Matic in a midfield three with Pogba.
There is no urgency to bring in new full backs. Shaw only needs to improve his crossing to be a top class LB and Valencia has been great recently.

Mou has said himself than central midfield is his priority and we probably need to bring in two new faces since Carrick and Fellaini are on their way out. I wouldn't mind bringing in someone with a bit of pace and who has great close control in tight situations. Sari? Savic is another option but he might be too similar to what we already have?

Chairman Woodie

There is no urgency to bring in new full backs. Shaw only needs to improve his crossing to be a top class LB and Valencia has been great recently.

Mou has said himself than central midfield is his priority and we probably need to bring in two new faces since Carrick and Fellaini are on their way out. I wouldn't mind bringing in someone with a bit of pace and who has great close control in tight situations. Sari? Savic is another option but he might be too similar to what we already have?
I don't doubt Shaw's ability as a footballer. I doubt he will remain injury free. I agree with you about Valencia, but he is 32. He won't be around too much longer. I don't know about others, but I'm not keen on Darmian.

I agree, United will need to fill the void left by Carrick retiring. There has been speculation surrounding Fellaini for some time, but nothing concrete to my knowledge.

Sterling Archer

Fiddy mil for Harry McGuire.

Thirty mil for a non-Premier League midfielder most of us will be as familiar with as we were with Bailly prior to his signing. We will collectively come to be just as impressed and wonder why there weren't more YouTube highlights sooner .

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Besides the players you've mentioned, Son, Dier, Trippier, Davies, Sanchez are all some of the incoming players under Pochettino. And all these should reasonably be seen as successes ... not least because they all usually (or frequently) play in the Spurs starting XI.

Considering that (a) the majority of the current Spurs best XI were signed (or else made first team regulars) under Pochettino; and (b) the entire cost of Spurs' best XI is little more than United paid for Pogba .... it's pretty much beyond debate that Pochettino would have made better use of the money than Mourinho.
All of those players you mention. How much do you believe they would have cost Poch if he was United manager?