Wilfried Zaha

edcunited1878

Can you imagine the shit storm his personality and ego could create if it's Pogba, Rashford, Martial, him, Lingard? If you're being transferred for that much money, more than Pogba, you should be one of the top wage earners at the club and Zaha has done NOTHING in his career to merit a top wage packet at United.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
I don't think anyone will get tempted this summer especially not at that price. I'd feel uneasy if Arsenal spent more than 35M on him. He'll be playing for Palace next year and will have to do a lot more to find an exit.

luke511

People are mad, a player like Zaha, even more so with a point to prove, would improve us massively.

Let's swallow our pride and sign someone that makes a bit of sense for once.
He'd add to the problem more than improve it. We need players that can consistently do things at a high level, I've watched a lot of him this season and he is like Martial where he has a flash of brilliance in him but his overall game is far too inconsistent. Zaha may be a great dribbler but he isn't the best passer, he'd just add to the current frustration and leave a big hole in the bank.

Green_Red

I forgot he was 26. The level he is playing is probably his peak or he might get slightly better. He is worth 60m max. We should stay clear and just pocket our resale cut.
feckin hell what has happened to the world Crystal Palace have £60 million rated players in their ranks.

Hes worth no more than £25 mil, max.

We sold him for 3.45 mil and he has finished 10th, 15th, 14th, 11th and 12th with Palace each season since then.

Mad talk saying we should sign him. Re-sign Welbeck whilst were at it sure.

Last edited:

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
feckin hell what has happened to the world Crystal Palace have £60 million rated players in their ranks.

We sold him for 3.45 mil and he has finished 10th, 15th, 14th, 11th and 12th with Palace each season since then.

The league positions of C. Palace are totally irrelevant to how highly (or not) Zaha should be rated. Otherwise it's like saying that no potential signing from a lower division should be highly rated because they're part of a team in a lower division.

Likewise the price that United sold him for has no bearing on what his value should be today.

I'd happily see him at Spurs, but it likely won't happen because of the high price that Palace appear to be asking for.

SambaBoy

I can't see him leaving for less than £50m. He would be our best winger at the club and a great addition I feel. He seems to have matured on and off the pitch. It's just another dilemma of bringing back a player for 5x what we sold him for. Another poor bit of business.

Sterling Archer

Can you imagine the shit storm his personality and ego could create if it's Pogba, Rashford, Martial, him, Lingard? If you're being transferred for that much money, more than Pogba, you should be one of the top wage earners at the club and Zaha has done NOTHING in his career to merit a top wage packet at United.
What makes you say he has an ego? One of the last I'd have said that about.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
What makes you say he has an ego? One of the last I'd have said that about.
Only thing I can think of is the impression those giant star tattoos on his neck give? He did an interview a while back including talking about us a lot, and he seemed very level headed. We definitely left a bad impression on him though.

Ekeke

He is definitely good enough for Arsenal. I would love him to join us only if we have the money. He can give flexibility to our formation as he can provide competition as striker in our 5-3-2 or 3-4-1-2 formation, or as right forward in 4-3-3. He is definitely an upgrade on Mkhitaryan who is on £200k/week. He is at the peak of his power, physically strong, right age and excellent dribble. He can deliver on the pitch right away and very little risk. Too bad Arsenal never has money and we compete in the transfer market with Wolves, Everton and Leicester. is he worth the price Palace after is another story.
In the last 2 seasons he hasnt played on the right. And your strength is your strikers who are better than he is. He has played as striker and left wing where Iwobi isnt that far off him

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi

Look at what PL clubs are getting in the tv deal. There is no reason for clubs in the PL to let their players go for cheap. If a club wants him they are going to have to pay.

SER19

Zaha is a good example of how poor Woodward has ran the show. I’m not particularly interested in signing him but he would be a blatant improvement on what we have to offer on the right. And he used to be our player. He wasn’t coached, factored into any longer term plan and was simply punted away at the first decent offer, now we may actually be considering signing him back. For a fortune. A club with a clear vision and focus doesn’t let this happen regardless of managerial changes.

Out of interest what is our ‘sell on percentage’

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
Zaha is worth way more than 50 or 60. You are talking about a 100 mil player in this age.
Nowadays you pay 50 or 60 for an unoroven prospected. Zaha has delivered for several seasons now.

Ekeke

Zaha is worth way more than 50 or 60. You are talking about a 100 mil player in this age.
Nowadays you pay 50 or 60 for an unoroven prospected. Zaha has delivered for several seasons now.
:houllier: Couldnt disagree more. He's had a couple of good seasons but we're talking about a player who started 18 games up front last season scoring 3 goals and 2 assists and that was his main position, with 14 games on the left. I mean it might look okay compared to Morata at Chelsea but come on. If someone is stupid enough to pay anywhere near £100 million for Zaha I hope its you guys.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
:houllier: Couldnt disagree more. He's had a couple of good seasons but we're talking about a player who started 18 games up front last season scoring 3 goals and 2 assists and that was his main position, with 14 games on the left. I mean it might look okay compared to Morata at Chelsea but come on. If someone is stupid enough to pay anywhere near £100 million for Zaha I hope its you guys.
I agree, he is far from 100 million player but we have to add bit of context for Zaha's stats. He is always marked by 2-3 players and if i'm not wrong he wins so many penalties too. It's like stop Zaha and you stop Palace attack.

Anyways, hopefully we are not stupid enough to buy him for that much and some other club pays 100 million for him considering we have huge sell on clause.

Edit: Looks like he won 6 out of 11 penalties Palace won.

Kostur

海尔的老板
Why do people keep saying that he'd be an improvement on the right? He's not a right winger. On the same basis you can say that Martial would be an improvement on the right, or even an IKEA chair for that matter.

dogwithabone

Not so sure about that. He still very hit and miss but is a match winner on his day. Don’t think he’s a £100m player yet.

redshaw

Not a surprise to learn he signed a contract extension on top of a long contract last year with Palace to the end of the 2022-23 season

If he's told us to do one, he's looking at one of the London clubs. I don't see any spot on in Liverpool or City. Lets say with his good relationship with Palace they can agree on letting him go for 50 million it's still difficult to see one of them going for him.

Which club on the continent would want him for 50-60 million, I don't see any. He'll have to play better at Palace to attract his London neighbours or clubs abroad.

Perhaps he shouldn't have signed such a long deal. He's Palace's top player and could cost them relegation if sold. He could've gone to a bigger club with his contract running out. I read Spurs were interested at one point but it would have to be a 20-30m punt. perhaps his London or Palace bias has held in back in moving up to a bigger club outside the top 6. Seems it's only Palace or a top 4 club move for him.

Things can change quickly in football, another decent start at Palace, desperation at one of the bigger clubs he could get a chance to move.

redmeister

He might have delivered for several seasons, but what he's delivered is only worth 50 million and even that seems like a lot. Let's not make out as if he's had several seasons scoring and creating lots of goals. The most he's ever scored in a season is 10. When clubs pay huge fees for unproven prospects, it's because they feel they have the potential to to do way better than what Zaha has achieved. No one is paying 50 million for a youngster and thinking "fingers crossed and hopefully he'll be as good as Wilfried Zaha by the time he's 26!"

Kostov

I'd have him, for like 50m-60m max, which won't happen since Palace want more. But's who's going to pay more is the question?

Green_Red

Why do people keep saying that he'd be an improvement on the right? He's not a right winger. On the same basis you can say that Martial would be an improvement on the right, or even an IKEA chair for that matter.
Probably because they dont have eyes

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff

Not sure what year you’re living in but it’s not this one

Mo Salah, Sadio Mane, Richarlison more examples of wingers not too many rated at one point or another
But who also had great seasons prior to being sold.

I really don’t see a great player on Zaha. The potential price is outrageous. Fair play to Palace, who obviously want as much as they can, but he’s just not worth £70/80m - he’s not an exceptional player. He’s the best player in a functional Palace side. We should be going nowhere near him.

I don’t see him at a player who can suddenly make a step up and score 10-15 goals and make the difference in the big games. For that money, that’s what you need. His goal scoring ratio is 1 in every 11 for Palace.

Hopefully he will stay at Palace, the hype will dissapear and if he wants a move next year he can go to Everton for £30m.

There’s not a single other club in the world who would contemplate buying him for more than £50m, I hope we don’t get sucked in.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I get what you’re saying and you’d certainly expect a few more goals.
But if you watch this palace side (coached by a defensive coach don’t forget), he’s always the main threat, being double or triple marked.

I feel like he’s on the verge of hitting new heights ala Mane if he makes a good move. He’s hungry and far from lazy. Put him in Klopps system and he’d score 20+ no problem

I’m not necessarily saying we should sign him but he’s a good player in the PL

Ekeke

I get what you’re saying and you’d certainly expect a few more goals.
But if you watch this palace side (coached by a defensive coach don’t forget), he’s always the main threat, being double or triple marked.

I feel like he’s on the verge of hitting new heights ala Mane if he makes a good move. He’s hungry and far from lazy. Put him in Klopps system and he’d score 20+ no problem

I’m not necessarily saying we should sign him but he’s a good player in the PL
I'm not saying he isnt a good player. I said in the previous post to that one that I think he's a bit behind Rashford up front and about the same as Martial on the left. Those are his main positions

I don't think Rashford or Martial are £100 million players either. Probably £60-70 million at a guess for Martial who is around the same level but younger.

steakpie

It would be crazy to sign Zaha when we could go for Sancho who is a much better footballer.

Green_Red

He’s worth north of €50m in today’s market

There’s all sorts of good but not great players being quoted at €70-100m. The markets crazy
Fair enough, the TV money has made the market like this. I just feel 50+ for him would be a waste of 50 million. I don't think he has what we need to get us back to the very top. He's good, I'll give him some credit. Is he going to help you win a league, I doubt it.

Shipperley

Supports
CPFC
I think our board agreed to let him go this summer when he signed the new contract last year. This is all about negotiating the maximum fee for the club now hence the little interviews from Wilf in the Daily Mail and Palace putting out the 'we don't want to sell, but it will take offers of...' kind of statements. The exit is being managed from both sides which I am fine with.

The Richarlison and Mahrez fees have to be the barometer for what we ask for (£50m and £60m respectively), people saying £30-35m are out of touch as clubs are being quoted close to those fees for some Championship players these days and Wilf is the best player outside the top 6, bar none. The top 6 are also setting the market by selling squad players high, was reading this morning that Liverpool want £20m each for Grujic and Wilson for example....to those advocating £35m, would you really value Zaha at Grujic + £15m? The Wilsons of this world are in the tier we buy from, so it stands to reason that if the top 6 sell high they are going to have to pay high as well.

I think £60-65m will get him in the end and it's going to be very hard for us to replace him. I anticipate three quality players will be needed which will still not be possible even with £50m net coming in, so we'll have to rely on the loan market or players being included in P/Ex as well.

Is he worth the £60-65m? Yes in my opinion, though of course I am biased.

blue blue

Supports
chelsea
There seems to be am assumption by some that Zaha would go to Utd.

He has said he wants to play Champions League football.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
It's hard to judge just how good he is, but he practically carries Palace by himself.

Just look at Townsends goal last match, how many of our players could do that? Martial/Pogba on a good day?

He seems to be doing this regularly these days, but whether he'd be the same in a team that isn't all about him - that's what we need to judge.

I don't think he'd be coming back to us unless we're the only bidder personally.

roonster09

Scout
There seems to be am assumption by some that Zaha would go to Utd.

He has said he wants to play Champions League football.
Yeah, he will reject Manutd just because we are not in CL this season.

I think our board agreed to let him go this summer when he signed the new contract last year. This is all about negotiating the maximum fee for the club now hence the little interviews from Wilf in the Daily Mail and Palace putting out the 'we don't want to sell, but it will take offers of...' kind of statements. The exit is being managed from both sides which I am fine with.

The Richarlison and Mahrez fees have to be the barometer for what we ask for (£50m and £60m respectively), people saying £30-35m are out of touch as clubs are being quoted close to those fees for some Championship players these days and Wilf is the best player outside the top 6, bar none. The top 6 are also setting the market by selling squad players high, was reading this morning that Liverpool want £20m each for Grujic and Wilson for example....to those advocating £35m, would you really value Zaha at Grujic + £15m? The Wilsons of this world are in the tier we buy from, so it stands to reason that if the top 6 sell high they are going to have to pay high as well.

I think £60-65m will get him in the end and it's going to be very hard for us to replace him. I anticipate three quality players will be needed which will still not be possible even with £50m net coming in, so we'll have to rely on the loan market as well.

Is he worth the £60-65m? Yes in my opinion, though of course I am biased.
Mahrez has won the PL and was the PFA Player of the Year - he’s not in any way a barometer for Zaha.

I just can’t see where the demand is for him. Utd may unfortunately try to buy him (as we are desperate), but no other club is going to spend that type of money on him.

He’s worth a lot to Palace - he’s their best player - I just don’t see him as being good enough (for the money quoted). The nail in the coffin for me, everything else aside - he doesn’t play RW anymore, and that’s where we are crying out for someone. Have more than enough talented players who can play up front or on the left (who will do for now), so as far as I see it Zaha doesn’t even solve the big hole we have.

Shipperley

Supports
CPFC
Mahrez has won the PL and was the PFA Player of the Year - he’s not in any way a barometer for Zaha.

I just can’t see where the demand is for him. Utd may unfortunately try to buy him (as we are desperate), but no other club is going to spend that type of money on him.
Disagree on the Mahrez part, Wilf is underrated by many and every bit as good as Mahrez. I hope you are right though as I would be absolutely delighted if he was still a Palace player in August.

blue blue

Supports
chelsea
Yeah, he will reject Manutd just because we are not in CL this season.
Utd not being in the Champions League is becoming more regular than in the Ferguson era but that may not be the only reason he wouldn't go to Utd. He would have to Leave London and he had a bad experience at Utd before.

roonster09

Scout
Utd not being in the Champions League is becoming more regular than in the Ferguson era but that may not be the only reason he wouldn't go to Utd. He would have to Leave London and he had a bad experience at Utd before.
So it's between Chelsea and Spurs, club who might get banned from signing players and club that won't spend.