Will you watch the Women's World Cup?

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
For the folks saying no because man are stronger and faster, do you guys enjoy any woman's sports? Tennis? Volleyball? Athletics? Any?

Why the need to compare this to men's football?

I enjoyed both wimbledon finals and just because Alcaraz would win against any woman in the tournament, it didn't make the women's final any less enjoyable.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
For the folks saying no because man are stronger and faster, do you guys enjoy any woman's sports? Tennis? Volleyball? Athletics? Any?

I enjoyed both wimbledon finals and just because Alcaraz would win against any woman in the tournament, it didn't make the women's final any less enjoyable.
I can tell you now that I bet half the posters on here will watch the Women's Beach Volleyball!

weetee

Supports
no-one in particular
I like watching womens football with my little daughter. At least to show her that it‘s not a rule of nature only men could do it (or boys on the playground :( ). It‘s gettting much better although some things are somehow hard to look past, last tourney had this corner kick madness going on and although I know it‘s mean but does look comical at times. That said, watched the CL finale one or two years ago, Lyon vs Barca, and that was golden and extremely enjoyable to watch.

damoley

I think the NZ games are all close to sell outs as well as the USA games.
Yep, the NZ one in Wellington is sold out (or as close to as we'll get), as is the USA vs Netherlands, which shouldn't be that surprising considering the quality of the teams. Rest of the games, won't lie, it's a very hard sell sitting in that stadium in the middle of winter.

Mr Smith

It's a home tournament for me at a reasonable time for once, I absolutely will be watching. Though if the Matildas go out early I may lose interest.

AndySmith1990

No. I generally don't enjoy watching any women's sporting event nor female athletics. Not that it matters at all. We're all free to enjoy whatever sport and consume entertainment in any way we like without fear of persecution

Halftrack

No. I generally don't enjoy watching any women's sporting event nor female athletics. Not that it matters at all. We're all free to enjoy whatever sport and consume entertainment in any way we like without fear of persecution
Weird attitude to have. If I like a sport, I have no problem watching the women's competitions. In many sports, the only difference is merely in the time they take to finish, and that's not something you notice while it's going on.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Bloody hell I feel like I've clicked a thread from 2003. Some really outdated and ignorant posts in here.

Gregawa

I've got tickets to the England vs Haiti match, it's mostly because the tickets are cheap and my wee boy is keen for football in any format. It's going to be a good experience for us both and I reckon we'll have a lot of fun.
We also have office sweeps so that has me interested too. Up the Oranje!

RedDevilQuebecois

Having enjoyed a number of women's football tournaments since the time when Japan went all the way at the 2011 World Cup, it's a must watch for me.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Im going to the first game tonight, Norway v NZ. Should be an easy win for Norway, unfortunately the weather forecast isnt great, might rain during the game. Middle of winter here. Should be a decent crowd at the game.
I've got tickets to the England vs Haiti match, it's mostly because the tickets are cheap and my wee boy is keen for football in any format. It's going to be a good experience for us both and I reckon we'll have a lot of fun.
We also have office sweeps so that has me interested too. Up the Oranje!
How much are tickets for this tournament?

Compared to the Men's game, Tickets are very cheap for Women's football in UK.

manutddjw

If there’s absolutely nothing else on and it’s on at a reasonable time, I might watch Canada (and China and Serbia if they made it, I have no idea). I have very little interest in women’s football. We get the united women on tv here in Canada and I can’t be bothered to watch.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
Home world cup for me, so I'll be following a decent amount of the games. Largely the Aussie team though, as I generally don't watch to much football that doesn't involve teams I follow these days. Will likely chuck it on the tv in the background through

Gregawa

How much are tickets for this tournament?

Compared to the Men's game, Tickets are very cheap for Women's football in UK.
$10 for the boy and $20 for me. AUD though, so £5 and £10 really. Bargain.

Withnail

They aren't? 11am and 1pm

Still shite unless you work from.home though
Oh weird. I'm just back from hols so wasn't paying that much attention. There was a debate in work about getting a TV in and someone posted the schedule and had all of Ireland's games at 6am and said there was no point. I'll be having words today! Thanks

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
We already have football saturation. I’m not cramming in women’s football too. To be honest, the comparable quality to the men’s game is very poor, so it doesn’t hold much interest to me. It used to be a hilarious blooper real, but it’s gotten a lot lot better now, so it’s just like a really slow, lower division men’s game these days, with worse athletes.

Yet, despite my own disinterest, I hope it is a roaring success, because I’m not wanting to deride it, it’s just the way I honestly feel about it. I am glad it’s getting wider traction.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
One thing though. While I actually look forward to the World Cup, I have learned not to discuss it online. It sucks the entire fun out of it. The bad jokes, the tedious discussions and so on are incredibly annoying. It’s impossible to discuss without someone wanting to start a discussion about the difference to the men’s game.

Sylar

One thing though. While I actually look forward to the World Cup, I have learned not to discuss it online. It sucks the entire fun out of it. The bad jokes, the tedious discussions and so on are incredibly annoying. It’s impossible to discuss without someone wanting to start a discussion about the difference to the men’s game.
When there's a blunder or mistake and people act like this never happens in the men's game too

Camilo

That’s great. I’m sure he appreciated your support.

I personally don’t see the point in saying apples are shit because they don’t taste like oranges, but that’s just me.
It's not apples vs oranges. It's a rustlers burger vs a fillet steak. One is objectively shit.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
When there's a blunder or mistake and people act like this never happens in the men's game too
Yep. It’s impossible to discuss it without all these annoying people fighting some weird online war over it.

cafecillos

Just like most, absolutely not.

Similarly to the WNBA it’s just not fun to watch and the interest pool is very small if any at all.

Granted nowadays you will get crucified for saying such a truth.
And yet, you dared say it. Someone had to as it hadn't been said yet in the thread. Not all heroes wear capes, keep up the good work :drool:

AndySmith1990

Weird attitude to have. If I like a sport, I have no problem watching the women's competitions. In many sports, the only difference is merely in the time they take to finish, and that's not something you notice while it's going on.
It's not an attitude, it's a preference. If women could run faster than Usain Bolt I'd tune in to watch the women's 100m instead of the men's. If the quality of women's football was on the same level as the men's game I'd watch that too. But that's not the case, so I have no interest. It's no different to any other form of entertainment where we all have our own personal preference for what we enjoy consuming.

Oranges038

Isn't that always the way?

Oranges038

It's not an attitude, it's a preference. If women could run faster than Usain Bolt I'd tune in to watch the women's 100m instead of the men's. If the quality of women's football was on the same level as the men's game I'd watch that too. But that's not the case, so I have no interest. It's no different to any other form of entertainment where we all have our own personal preference for what we enjoy consuming.
Each to their own as they say. It's actually quite enjoyable at times. I've gotten more into it, because I want my girls to take more interest as they both play.

I find the less structured and rigid nature of the womens game to be quite enjoyable, more so than some of the more predictable and safety first, boring pass fests we see In the PL and CL. It's sometimes like a throw back to the old mens football, more direct and scrappy.

cafecillos

Each to their own as they say. It's actually quite enjoyable at times. I've gotten more into it, because I want my girls to take more interest as they both play.

I find the less structured and rigid nature of the womens game to be quite enjoyable, more so than some of the more predictable and safety first, boring pass fests we see In the PL and CL. It's sometimes like a throw back to the old mens football, more direct and scrappy.
This is a fair comment. It's fine not to like it, and not watch it, but what's the point of the dozens of messages saying no way, it's rubbish, it's unbearable, won't watch a second of it, wouldn't watch it with your eyes, the quality is abysmal, women are so inferior in every single aspect, they are ramming it down our throats... Literally dozens of messages like these in this thread alone, and in addition, you also have to read that you can't actually say those things because you'll be cancelled.

Oranges038

This is a fair comment. It's fine not to like it, and not watch it, but what's the point of the dozens of messages saying no way, it's rubbish, it's unbearable, won't watch a second of it, wouldn't watch it with your eyes, the quality is abysmal, women are so inferior in every single aspect, they are ramming it down our throats... Literally dozens of messages like these in this thread alone, and in addition, you also have to read that you can't actually say those things because you'll be cancelled.
Most of these people have probably never even given it a chance. I'll be honest some of it can be truly awfuI will admit that, worse than Sunday league stuff.

For sure, it's not as fast as the mens game. But, there's probably more physicality allowed and 1v1 battles, less fcuking about with diving and play acting. Referees just seem to want to let the game flow.

It can be entertaining, which is what you want from a spectator sport, regardless of who's playing it.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

Tennis, Volleyball, Gymnastics, Track and Field etc., absolutely. But, as far as these sports are concerned, the female (part of the) game has already enough time to develop into a thing of its own. Furthermore, none of the sports you mentioned are contact sports in which aspects of the game like speed, aggression and dynamism actually matter. This can put some people off. It has become better and will continue to do so until the ladies' game will acquire its own distinguishable intricacies and particularities. Then, the good stories it can generate, will be appreciated by a wider audience because they will perceived as top class moments on their own (like Serena, Isinbayeva and others). Personally, as a football fan, i see it as a bad indicator that the US are so dominant. Nothing against them, but i believe that their focus on sheer individualism is one of the main reasons why the men's game is one of the very few sports they can't compete at the highest level. It's the nature if football, what makes it special. Anyway, i will try to watch some games in the knockout stages, from what i understand, England vs the US is the event everyone wants and hopes to watch on the pitch.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Yep. It’s impossible to discuss it without all these annoying people fighting some weird online war over it.
First rule of online discussions: make an active decision who is worth your time and ignore the rest. And if you ever want to have a good discussion about this on the caf it probably won't help to leave these topics to the idiots.

MichaelRed

One thing with respect to the quality aspect. Do those of you who are complaining about the quality only watch elite level sport?
Are they complaining about it? I don't like coffee but I'm not complaining about it, I just consume different drinks - of which there are plenty. I would never just start ranting about not liking coffee, but if you asked me whether or not I liked it then I'd be honest and say "no, I don't". That's not complaining. This thread literally asks if people will watch & a lot of people are saying "No, I don't like the quality.". Just because you don't like their stance, doesn't mean they're complaining.