Wilshere - where does the hype come from?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
A lot of this is if's, but's and maybe's though by trying to justify the careers of other players to justify that Cleverley is going to be top class. For example, just because Xavi wasn't world class at 25 and became so later on doesn't mean the same with happen with Cleverley. Likewise, just because he had a loan spell and has improved since coming back does not mean he is going to be as good as Beckham either.

I wouldn't really say he's our main midfielder either, and is only debatably one of our important ones. He had one spell of being a main midfielder at the start of the 2011/2012 season but has only really been decent since and hasn't shown anything near what he did then. It's not really too remarkable a feat either when you look at him and consider that he's already 23 years old.

if Wilshere fills anywhere near his potential then he'll probably be a better player than Cleverley.
I can't predict the future, that's where the if's and but's came from. Just like your last line. And that's why people usually use other players career as examples.

From a loanee to become United (potential) winning title and England main midfielder (so far), is a remarkable feat for any 23 y.o. player. But perhaps you have higher standard for this 'remarkable' thing.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I believe Wilshere has the potential to become one of the best midfielder in the world after bossing the Barcelona midfield in a game few season ago. But since then Cleverley progress has also far exceed my expectation on him to a level that I do also believe there won't be much difference among the two.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I believe Wilshere has the potential to become one of the best midfielder in the world after bossing the Barcelona midfield in a game few season ago. But since then Cleverley progress has also far exceed my expectation on him to a level that I do also believe there won't be much difference among the two.
He bossed the barca midfield? Really?

Plechazunga

Grammar partisan who sleeps with a real life Ryan
Where Albert Stubbins scored a diving header
The main difference between them is that Wilshere can do pretty much everything Cleverley can do, as well as being much more creative and having the ability to accelerate past players in a Gazza-like way.

In fact, when played deep he's probably a better tackler than Clev too - though I have no idea why Wenger spent a season playing him deep.

Aargh, I've been dragged into the comparing them thing...

Forevergiggs

He had them running circles around him. That was the best midfield display I have seen against Barcelona, by any player. (albeit I don't watch them too often)

Ruud10

A Bit Wordy
Wilshere now off early in the second half against Sunderland. Not sure what happened, but Wenger had to pull the boy off the pitch.

7even

Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron
Wilshere now off early in the second half against Sunderland. Not sure what happened, but Wenger had to pull the boy off the pitch.
This is not good, repeatedly injuried and so young. I'm not sure but this reminds me of Ando.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
He didn't, but he held his own against them in the Nou Camp, which was pretty impressive especially as quite a lot of it was with ten men.
He stood up, whereas a more senior player like Fabregas didn't look up for it at all (probably wasn't mind). I was very impressed by Wilshere over those legs.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
He didn't, but he held his own against them in the Nou Camp, which was pretty impressive especially as quite a lot of it was with ten men.
I thought it was impressive as well. "Bossing" is a ridiculous overstatement though. I've never seen Barcelona's midfield bossed let alone by an Arsenal one.

He did more in one game than our entire midfield did in 2 finals. That counts for something.
That he impressed against Barcelona does count. That he did better than our laughable efforts does not. We played into barcelonas hands in those finals. Besides, to be honest, our midfielders in those finals were nothing special really. It's not our strength and it is their main one.

NinjaFletch

I was having a look on Arsenal Mania and came across this.

It makes me sick reading RedCafe and seeing them wax lyrical over Jack, only then to continue by speculating how many more years he has at Arsenal and saying that Manchester United need to do everything they can to get him.

Absolutely sickening, because to an extent, I know it's true.
:devil:

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
He's going to try and get me Scholes' shirt when they play us :)

Rossa

They're a right bunch of wankers over there.
Indeed - I was reading an old thread on Clichy where the majority actually wanted his head on a plate, to hang him, shoot him or make him commit suicide. I mean, this place can have some ridiculous knee-jerk reactions, but that should probably have been reported, and not just to the mods!

Wilshere is sailing up as a favourite of mine - he has all the right attributes. He may be the player to improve Arsenal into a top three team once more.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
As things stand, yes. That said, Wilshere is almost 3 years younger than Cleverley and is already a much superior player so it seems unlikely that'll change.
And he doesn't have the mental fragility of Reyes, most importantly. What a waste of talent Reyes was.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Anyone that comes back from a serious injury is going to be prone to getting injured in other area's especially muscles due to lack of match fitness, surprised Wenger would play him so soon after an International. Wilshere needs to be handled with kid gloves at the moment, not good for him to be missing so much football through injury.

alastair

ignorant
And he doesn't have the mental fragility of Reyes, most importantly. What a waste of talent Reyes was.
It was so frustrating because he had so much talent and it was just wasted for us.

With regard to Wilshere, another excellent fifty minutes yesterday. He's just streets ahead of 95% of players in the PL at the moment. Him, Arteta and Cazorla together is joyful at times.

DevilRed

It was so frustrating because he had so much talent and it was just wasted for us.

With regard to Wilshere, another excellent fifty minutes yesterday. He's just streets ahead of 95% of players in the PL at the moment. Him, Arteta and Cazorla together is joyful at times.
At times it was almost like watching the gooners of old. I know it was only sunderland but there were some great passing moves between wilshere and carzola.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
So, when is he joining his old mate Robin in Manchester? A midfield of Cleverley and himself would be erection-inducing, I think.

There's no way he's staying at Arsenal if days like today are occurring so frequently anyway.

Almost eight years now without a trophy for Arsenal...

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
He'll eventually leave yes, but it won't be for a few years. He's still young and loves the club, he'll captain them. It's in his prime he'll realise he could do with actually winning something and move on, much like his mate Robin.

Sixpence

Erroneously Promoted
They will make him the captain next season, like they always do with their best player in an attempt to keep them, then he'll be sold the summer after.

Brightonian

If Van Persie was the signing to put us back at the top of the premier league, Wilshere would be the one to make us a real force in Europe again. Look at what he did to England vs Brazil. He is capable of single-handedly transforming a team, and he'd fit United like a puzzle piece.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Article on Skysports where he says players should shoulder the blame for the game last night and that the media shouldn't point the finger at Wenger.

I don't know what the consensus was, but I thought he was one of the only Arsenal players last night to show real determination and passion, he was a bit hit and miss at times, but overall a good performance by him. Hope he enjoys these Champions League nights, and he remembers it at the end of the season when Arsenal finish 5th.

Cina

He's pretty amazing, he's basically what I thought Anderson would become when we signed him.

Status
Not open for further replies.