Wishing failure on other clubs

Art Vandelay

The only way that could have gone better tonight is if Martin Tyler screamed with joy and then had to sit and commentate as VAR took it away. I am in no way ashamed of my view.

I swear some people don't get football
Yeah, I can't ever remember not wishing failure on Liverpool and likewise them on us. I'd hate it if we lost that. Football would be boring.

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
Nothing wrong with enjoying rivals or clubs like City and PSG fail. It’s all part of the game. My only problem is that since Ole took the wheel, I’ve found it much harder to do when it comes to United.

Cliche Guevara

The very nature of football is that it’s partisan.

Otherwise why support a team? Just go and watch different games every week and cheer every goal no matter who scored it.

You wouldn’t look like a cnut or anything.

Pav1878

I know all about the bitter rivalry you lot have with City but come on, have you no compassion?

I feel a bit sorry for any losing sides, however otherwise you might dislike them.

For the love of God, can you not find a shred of decent human sympathy?

Hahahahaha

Robertd0803

Cant stand Liverpool and City, West Ham and Sunderland so wish utter misery on them.

We might be crap now but also felt the same in 2008 when we were awesome and in 1999 etc so nothing wrong with it. Im sure they want us to do well.

Tarrou

I enjoy it when Liverpool fail and they've given us some epic moments

It's quite nice if City feck up, too

Other than that couldn't care less

DavidDeSchmikes

For weeks and weeks we have been told how this amazing City team is going to win the quadruple, how the English 'Mes que un club' complete with its amazing youth academy is going to create history. City are still on course for an excellent season and win 3 trophies. But just imagine the summer of 2019, with City 'quadruple winners' played over and over and over again (20 years after we won the treble).

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
I enjoy it when Liverpool fail and they've given us some epic moments

It's quite nice if City feck up, too

Other than that couldn't care less
Well put. Add PSG and Chelsea for being plastic clubs.

The Nani

It's hilarious. I'd never wish injury upon anyone, but hoping for meltdowns & drama? Yes please.
Absolutely. The bantz is as good as the football half the time. Today being a prime example. You couldn’t make this shit up.

Even throughout United’s years of success under Fergie I found almost as much pleasure in rooting against rivals as rooting for us.

I think money has definitely ratcheted it up a notch in the last decade though.

Canagel

I have no problem in taking great pleasure in other team's failures. That's what banter is. Football without the rivalries will be boring.

Normandy

Supports
Montreal Impact
I have a feeling people unironically against this have no local/community attachment to their "supported" club. It's a cultural thing, rivalries based on social and/or sporting history.

The rival losing is part of the charm of being a supporter. It's tribalism, but it's fun to banter at your rivals.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I have a feeling people unironically against this have no local/community attachment to their "supported" club. It's a cultural thing, rivalries based on social and/or sporting history.

The rival losing is part of the charm of being a supporter. It's tribalism, but it's fun to banter at your rivals.
Yeah, I've noticed this a bit around here lately with the looming Liverpool PL potential. I think it's the only aspect of being a fan you might not fully grasp if you've not grown up around it.

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
The only bad thing for me is there are no City fans for 6,000 miles to laugh at. I have a few old mates in Manchester that might get a bit later.

Whiteside1985

I know all about the bitter rivalry you lot have with City but come on, have you no compassion?

I feel a bit sorry for any losing sides, however otherwise you might dislike them.

For the love of God, can you not find a shred of decent human sympathy?
Nope.
Not one little bit.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
My dislike for Liverpool has come from knowing Liverpool fans all my life. About half of them are wanking lunatics and the other half is normal but the lunatics are so loud and obnoxious. City I don't care that much about but in my core I don't like blood money winning much in life and I'm glad to see City unable to win the treble like United did because obviously it makes it a little less special.

Yorkeontop

meonbottom
I just don't derive that much pleasure from it. I understand if that's your vibe because I'm not totally above it. All these "let's laugh at" threads mean not much to me. I can see more of this taking place considering United's current situation, misery loves company.

ants7

I just don't derive that much pleasure from it. I understand if that's your vibe because I'm not totally above it. All these "let's laugh at" threads mean not much to me. I can see more of this taking place considering United's current situation, misery loves company.
To each their own but I don't think it has anything to do with our current situation. Liverpool/City are our rivals (for different reasons) and there will be always a topic were their failures will be looked at and laughed at. And I'm pretty sure it's the same in their fan forums. It's called rivalry. As long as there's no ill-wishing on personal level, I can't see anything wrong with this.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Not really wishing failure on other clubs though.
More like, relishing the failure of other clubs.
Action -> Reaction. We've been reactive.

Varun

Staff
Bizarre thread. It has nothing to do with our success or lack of it either. Can't remember when our rivals losing didn't make me happy.

It's even more fecked up this season as we have to root for city in the league. Makes being able to cheer their loss in the CL even better

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
My word I feel pathetic doing it, on reflection. This has always been around I guess but it seems to mean more than ever, how the mighty have fallen.
Talk for yourself there, whether we were successful or not, I have always wished failure on all of our opponents who compete with us.

lysglimt

Scout
I can't ever get myself to want Liverpool to win anything - but at the same time, I do respect their fans and the club a lot more than City and Chelsea - so I wouldn't kill myself if they won the League.

LoneStar

I was ecstatic when their goal was ruled offside. To see Pep and the players go from jumping in glee to heartbroken was a great sight indeed.

And I would be doubly ecstatic if pool failed to win the league as well.

ekestubbe

As long as another team losing will benefit your own team I'm all for celebrating it. However, I do feel that on this forum it's gone overboard, and I now see people wishing failure on their own team just to deny even a slight chance of other teams having success (wanting City to win the derby in a few weeks for example), and that's madness. It shows how small-minded and bitter many people have become.

GM K

The very heart, the very soul of football is seeing your closest rivals crash and burn.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
Nothing wrong with enjoying rivals or clubs like City and PSG fail. It’s all part of the game. My only problem is that since Ole took the wheel, I’ve found it much harder to do when it comes to United.
Just read comments on here about how we are scum and vermin. That might help. That’s always a motivation to keep up your hatred for all things united. Remember it’s really not the players or the mgr(unless Saf) that are hated, it’s the club and the disdain they have for all things Liverpool. Enjoy the panic at least for a few weeks.

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
I meditated whole night thinking about this, and yeah, it seems mean.

I will now wish everybody to win against everybody in every game, which is a bit problematic, as at least one team will never win.

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
Just read comments on here about how we are scum and vermin. That might help. That’s always a motivation to keep up your hatred for all things united. Remember it’s really not the players or the mgr(unless Saf) that are hated, it’s the club and the disdain they have for all things Liverpool. Enjoy the panic at least for a few weeks.
Don’t get me wrong, United losing is still fun, I just have a bit of a man crush on their manager.

And I know some of them are way more partizan than me. Some would actually prefer for their newly appointed manager to miss out on completing mission impossibe by finishing in top4, only to see us not win the league. And that is just something I’ll never understand. But to each their own. I don’t hate any set of fans and actually feel more dislike for City than United.

Coxy

....I don’t hate any set of fans and actually feel more dislike for City than United.
I’m the same actually - more dislike for City than you guys.

You guys have history and built your way up like us. City bought their way. I can’t stand them or Chelsea.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Wishing failure on rivals is part of a rivalry.

No need to feel pathetic. Just seems worse because we are shit and they still have a chance at the treble.

Wanting City to beat us to stop Liverpool winning title IS pathetic.

Not as good as our treble in '17 :drool: