Worst you've felt after a football match

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
Aguero is number 1

Special mentions to Porto in mid 2000’s, Dortmund in 97, and even just this season against Villarreal, that really stung. Also that Arsenal fa cup final we lost on pens. Ouch

For Ireland losing on pens agains Spain in 2002 and of course the Henry incident, no hard feeling towards the player, shit happens but still gutted.

Getting well beaten never feels as bad for me, so both out CL defeats against Barcelona and for Ireland our exits by Italy and Holland in 90 and 94 wasn’t so bad as we were well beaten

podurban2

Is this supposed to be sarcastic ?

There're ton of games played each week across different leagues and European competitions. Football doesn't revolve around United 2 games a week only.

This loss left me feeling so fecking shit back then that my terrible mood was obvious for every one around me the next few days and no one understood why.
I’m not being mean just found it funny. At one point around the same time I stopped watching football/United for several weeks. Just wanted Jose gone.

Trequarista10

6-1 vs City. Rage, embarrassment, and fear.

Aguero moment wasn't that bad, as it was their tital to win that season, and it had slowly been coming for a few seasons. It would have been robbery if we had nicked it from them that season.

Also, when I was like 6 or so, Newcastle lost on away goals in what I can only assume must have been the Intertoto Cup or something. It was the first time I'd ever watched an English side in Europe on TV, so I wrote a letter to UEFA covered in my 6 year old tears saying how unfair the away goals rule was. Edit: Wikipedia informs me it was the 2nd round of the UEFA Cup against Bilbao in 1995, so I was 7. In my memory it had been at least the quarter finals :lol:

Last edited:

mu4c_20le

3-0 Milan. Played off the park under heavy rain. Bad way to go as we had a genuine shot that year, especially right after 7-1 Roma

Dan_F

This thread isn’t helping me. It’s a memory lane of all the shit results I’ve witnessed, after seeing a massively shit result :lol:

paulscholes18

This is the angriest I have felt after losing a match
Porto in 04 I was the most upset after losing

Winrar

09/11 final vs Barca was an awful feeling at the time but in hindsight they were clearly the best team in the world back then.

The final months of 11/12 season hurt like hell, but getting the league back next year with RVP eased those feelings quite a bit.

Eternitiy

Villarreal was the worst I've felt in a long time, today makes it even worse. Two lost finals on penalties in a matter of weeks. And due to awful in game management from Ole and Southgate. It is very disheartening.

Kaos

Porto 04 for me - I genuinely felt the cup was ours that season, only to be robbed by a shit offside call.

The two Barca CL finals also hurt a lot, but that Barca side were arguably the GOAT, so wasn't entirely surprising.

Special mention to that FA Cup final against Arse in 05 where we absolutely battered them the entire game but couldn't score, only for them to undeservingly nick it on Pens.

De Portago

Supports
Red Star
3-0 Milan. Played off the park under heavy rain. Bad way to go as we had a genuine shot that year, especially right after 7-1 Roma
I don't intend to provoke or anything of the sort, what were the expectations from UTD side at that point if you can recall?

I actually remember a friend's younger brother asking me what outcome I would bet on, and I answered something along the lines of "stick a hundred euros on Milan, if they lose I'll cover it". I was that certain of the outcome as I seem to recall it, I would have bet myself except I never do.

Reiver

Euro 96 would take some beating for me. Travelled down to London a boy, full of the hopefullnes of youth. Travelled back home a young man, schooled in the crushing disappointment of supporting Scotland.

mu4c_20le

I don't intend to provoke or anything of the sort, what were the expectations from UTD side at that point if you can recall?

I actually remember a friend's younger brother asking me what outcome I would bet on, and I answered something along the lines of "stick a hundred euros on Milan, if they lose I'll cover it". I was that certain of the outcome as I seem to recall it, I would have bet myself except I never do.
Under Fergie we always believed we could go deep in the CL and would be disappointed if we didn't win it and add to our 2. I remember Milan was very very good back then, but still believed we had a shot, because we had the best player in the world just entering his prime.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
Portsmouth FA Cup
Milan 2007
Liverpool Moyes Era
Liverpool europa league
West Ham final game at Boleyn Ground
Red Bull 2020

A few more that I can't remember.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
I turned off the United v Villarreal game about 5 mins before the end and to this day I have not seen the end, any of the pens or any of the post match interviews. I also didn't put on any TV or go on any social media for about 5 days after.

After watching the inevitable fallout with the racist trolls and seeing what happened with the yobs storming Wembley yesterday, I couldn't care less about the result anymore.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Arsenal FA Cup on penalties. Felt absolutely rubbish after the game.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Missing out on the 09/10 title due to a number of ridiculous results/decisions both involving us and others stings.

No way Chelsea should have won the league that year.

De Portago

Supports
Red Star
Under Fergie we always believed we could go deep in the CL and would be disappointed if we didn't win it and add to our 2. I remember Milan was very very good back then, but still believed we had a shot, because we had the best player in the world just entering his prime.
Thanks, looking back that far into past I probably thought there was some kind of injury/specific situation to explain my (admittedly very rare) confidence when picking the winner. Cheers...

pacifictheme

Not a loss but the 4-4 against Everton. I knew we had thrown the league right then and there.
I was at that game and yeah, feeling was awful leaving.

As others have said the 2009 CL final was horrible. And this years europa league too. 2011 we were nowhere near barca so was easier to take for me personally.

mu4c_20le

Thanks, looking back that far into past I probably thought there was some kind of injury/specific situation to explain my (admittedly very rare) confidence when picking the winner. Cheers...
Rio was out with an injury but doesnt change the fact that Milan had an insane team back then. It really was a golden age of football.

Cockney-Red

I was gonna say United - Barcelona in the 2011 final.

But actually thinking about it, Rome 2009 was definitely more traumatic. In 2011, we knew going in to the game we were underdogs against a juggernaut of a side in that Pep Barcelona team at its peak.

However, in Rome 2009, I along with a lot of people thought we were favourite's and we were instead utterly humiliated in that game.

Its the one big game I haven't even bothered watching back the highlights :lol:

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Nani red vs Madrid. Permanently reduced how much I cared about football.

miked99

The 2-0 defeat to Liverpool which meant Leeds were champions. We'd seemed certain to win it all season and threw it all away right at the end. All I'd ever known growing up was Liverpool winning title after title and finally, it seemed like it would be our turn. And then that. At the final whistle I felt I would never, ever see us be successful.

We won the league the very next season. Modern day failures dont hurt anywhere near as much because I've seen us win everything. Back then I couldn't imagine how it would feel to even win the title once.

Kopral Jono

Nani red vs Madrid. Permanently reduced how much I cared about football.
Good shout. I despair a lot more each time we get narrowly beaten in Europe. Porto ‘04, Leverkusen ‘02, Real ‘00 when we got knocked out despite going home with a good result from the first leg, that Sevilla Jose shitshow and of course Villareal last month.

I completely lost it after the 4-4 game against Everton, though. Not proud.

tentan

Poor man's poster.
2009 Champions league final. Should've been the first team to win back to back CL titles.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Anyway, mine was the Champions League defeat to Barcelona in 2011 as it was at Wembley and I wanted revenge from 2009. Before Real’s 3-peat we were up to be the first team in CL history to retain the Champions League in 2009 - which really would have cemented that group as an all time great team. We ran into a ridiculous machine at the wrong time sadly, at the time when we had gotten our shit together more than any other time in my life. Comfortably the strongest United team I’ve seen, yet here we are with just 3 CLs ever with even Chelsea on our tails from putting together two average sides.

I was so pumped in 2011 and when Rooney equalised I lost my voice. When David Villa scored I walked out of the venue and till today have never seen the rest of that match.

RonaldoVII

Barcelona in the Champs League at Wembley was hard to take. Such a long, demoralising coach journey home and then a 35 minute drive. Both largely in silence.

As an 8 year old I cried half the summer in '95 but that was different. Today hurts but think maybe more so in 2004/2006. United pains me more though as you invest so much time into it and would back/defend our players to the end.

Vernon Philander

Italy were ultimately the better side in normal play and have had a fantastic tournament. So that makes it easier to take.

Barca defeat in 2011 CL final was tough as you just felt that they'd dominate for a decade, such was their dominance of football that year and the few preceding it.

RedDevil@84

I would put the recent EL loss over the Aguero moment. Yes, that moment hurt, but City had ran it real close and we knew it would go one way or another.
But against Villareal, we were miles ahead. And we could have easily won, if our manager even attempted the small risk of mixing up things with whatever he has on bench. Instead he chose to run the existing players to the ground till they could not run anymore and lost.

celia

The first Barca CL final even if I completely erased it from my memory less than one year after.

Maybe this England-Italy too depending on its aftermath even I wasn't that much for England. When I saw Rashford and Sancho were going to enter, I said "Four chances for Manchester United to get a scapegoat" and I prayed Rashford would score his penalty kick. It is really a different feeling than a loss of United since I am more concerned for some players.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
Not a single match but Ipswich lost 3 consecutive play off semi finals in the late 90’s , which was absolutely gutting, especially as our financial situation meant we had to sell our best player each time. It made the 4th play off final (the last club match at the old Wembley too) the best day of my life though (that and beating Sam Allardyce’s dirty fouling Bolton team 7-5 on aggregate in the semi finals on the way there. The lows are what makes the highs even better, just to add a bit of positivity to this thread!