Would you sack or keep Ole? (Poll reopened)

Sack or Keep OLE?

• Sack Ole & appoint new coach ASAP

• Keep Ole & back him to finish rebuild

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Greck

It’s just fecking mental.

We have Bruno this season and we’re currently 6th, what the feck does last season have to do with anything?

Liverpool had miles more points than us last season, and more points than us this season despite suffering some big injuries, but seasons don’t matter, it’s the good purple patches that matter these days.

Nutters
It's the same as when they post win rate of his predecessors when Ole also has the highest loss rate. These selective stats are insulting. eg 55-10-35 WDL is now supposedly the same as 55-25-20.

EireRed_GS

Regardless of what happens, this is very important. He has definitely given us our club back in some respects.
He has. hes gone and made some of the hard decisions the others wouldnt, in clearing the club out behind the scenes of people stealing a living like Sanchez, froze out or sold lads who simply were not good enough ie. Jones, Smalling, Lingard, Young. Made the choice to move Lukaku on, despite the odd purple patch he was a donkey for us. Hes attempting to change the mentality and attitude of the players and turning anyone who doesnt like it towards the door (hopefully pogba next). And now hes attempting to get in the type of player who are essentially upgrade on this lot and who have the right attitude.

But like i said, Ive been in full support of this project, but the setup & tactics hae been baffling and have really cost us recently.

wolvored

The good comebacks we've had lately have masked an obvious problem. Ole’s pre match game plan is shocking!

We know this as it takes a goal to get us going, maybe the goal allows us to drop any pre match plan Ole had and gives the players the freedom to play as they want. This isn't a healthy way to coach a team, more of a necessity through the lack of a good manager.

The end of the game last night was a farce! We had players all over the place, hell he brought on 3 defenders wen chasing a game ffs.

I like Ole the man but Ole the manager just doesn't cut it. Sad but it seams it's true.
Ole at half time: feck me im all out of ideas now lads any suggestions? Bruno: Lets try and score a goal. Ole: Brilliant. Lets do the Bruno thing!

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Ole brought a romance back to the club that had completely evaporated since Ferguson retired. His signings have been mostly good and the team have played their best football in this dark age period the club are going through. I just don't see a new manager not having the same issues Ole is two years down the line so I really don't see the point in sacking him. The board won't sack him anyway so it is not really important what the fans think, is it?

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
On the plus side a shot at the Europa league boosts our chances of being back in the CL next season. One of us Spurs or Chelsea is missing out on top 4 Solskjaer or no Solskjaer.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
He has. hes gone and made some of the hard decisions the others wouldnt, in clearing the club out behind the scenes of people stealing a living like Sanchez, froze out or sold lads who simply were not good enough ie. Jones, Smalling, Lingard, Young. Made the choice to move Lukaku on, despite the odd purple patch he was a donkey for us. Hes attempting to change the mentality and attitude of the players and turning anyone who doesnt like it towards the door (hopefully pogba next). And now hes attempting to get in the type of player who are essentially upgrade on this lot and who have the right attitude.
Yeah, this is the part that has kept me holding onto the hope that Ole can somehow make it work but ...

but the setup & tactics hae been baffling and have really cost us recently.
Like you, I just can't see past what is happening on the pitch, or sometimes more importantly, what is NOT happening. Contrary to what a lot of posters are saying this morning, I still believe we have a pretty good squad and I am 100% convinced that Ole is not the man to get the best out of it. It will take a pretty special run of results for me now to change my mind and I can't see that happening.

To be honest, if I was Ed, I'd pull the trigger this morning and get Poch on the phone while we're still in a good position in the league.

Ole brought a romance back to the club that had completely evaporated since Ferguson retired. His signings have been mostly good and the team have played their best football in this dark age period the club are going through. I just don't see a new manager not having the same issues Ole is two years down the line so I really don't see the point in sacking him.
You don't think managers make a difference? You think anyone could have walked into Liverpool and done what Klopp has? Or Dortmund? How come Dortmund haven't won the league since he left or made even the CL semis since he left? Surely management is the reason?

You think any manager could have walked into United under Edwards and did what Fergie managed?

Lukinho

I have been firmly in the Ole in camp.... But last night i realised i was buying into the romance of him being a success.....
The Fred situation against PSG and the, frankly bizarre line up and use of subs last night has taken away all the hope i had of him doing the business for us over time.

some questions i cant quite get my head around stemming from last night?

Why did we use 3 left backs in one game?

Why was the best left back of the 3 sacrificed after 45 mins? whilst our injury prone, cannot attack and cannot defend, Mr slow down play, left back Shaw given 70 mins or so.

Why are we asking AWB to be a RWB? Man cant attack to save his mum.

On the subject of AWB. It was obvious RB noticed in the first 5 mins how narrow he defends. They exploited that for their 1st goal, after 5 mins it happened again. Did Ole just ignore this blatant tactic? Why was AWB not instructed to defend wider? It cost us another goal on 12 mins that could have easily been avoided.

Why are we persevering with DDG? as good a shot stopper his is, the 3rd goal last night highlights that he is to much of a pussy to be great goalie.

What was the point in swapping Lindelof with Axel when chasing the game? Hell, if Ole thinks Axel is the better player (which he quite frankly is) then why not just start him?

Every man and his dog know how well drilled RB are on the press, so why select 2 of the most useless midfielders against a press we have in Matic and McT? All the while, keeping our best 2 touch player at the club on the bench in DVB.

Why was Pogba even selected on the bench after his agents recent antics? Last night was time to leave him out completely and move on from this chump. Mans a buster.
This exactly what I am thinking as well and this is the reason we need to move on. People forget that Ole has been2 years now in the job and we are again in the europa League and fiighting for 4th place. I like him and was never an Ole outer but I said to myself one week ago after we lost to PSG that if we don’t get threw he has to go.

Volumiza

I just don't see a new manager not having the same issues Ole is two years down the line so I really don't see the point in sacking him.
And you've not seen enough in that 2 years to convince you we could have a better manager in charge? Crikey. We look awful for most of the time ... it doesn't have to be that way.

dove

You don't think managers make a difference? You think anyone could have walked into Liverpool and done what Klopp has? Or Dortmund? How come Dortmund haven't won the league since he left or made even the CL semis since he left? Surely management is the reason?

You think any manager could have walked into United under Edwards and did what Fergie managed?
It's mental. If you ask any United fan what they think about SAF they would say he is a GOAT, and rightly so. But at the same time they spout nonsense like no manager could do any better than Ole. Same Ole that will absolutely struggle to find a job at highest level after he is eventually sacked. Top manager would 100% do better than Ole, how is this even a discussion :lol:

Delano

Yeah, this is the part that has kept me holding onto the hope that Ole can somehow make it work but ...

Like you, I just can't see past what is happening on the pitch, or sometimes more importantly, what is NOT happening. Contrary to what a lot of posters are saying this morning, I still believe we have a pretty good squad and I am 100% convinced that Ole is not the man to get the best out of it. It will take a pretty special run of results for me now to change my mind and I can't see that happening.

To be honest, if I was Ed, I'd pull the trigger this morning and get Poch on the phone while we're still in a good position in the league.
Agreed with this. I think we certainly have one of the best 4 squads in the league. But under Ole I've got major doubts we'll do anything with it.

Like many posters, I'd love to see Rangnick come in and set the foundations for a permanent manager. Before moving up to Director of Football.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
I just can’t see another manager coming here and things suddenly clicking, I honestly don’t know anymore.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Issues are above the manager still for me. Like I said in another thread though, our opinion as fans don't matter.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain

I don’t think that’s what he meant. And I agree with him. I believe Glazers/Woodward will not see everything currently like the fans are seeing. They will probably sit down in a few weeks / a couple of months and reassess Ole’s time here AND compare it to the last 7 years / to our previous managers.
They will then decide if it’s worth continuing with him or worth sacking another manager. Their decision will most likely be (rightly or wrongly) based on the likelihood of us reaching top 4.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
I shall point out that giving quality attacking players the freedom to express themselves is not something we should take for granted, and we've had the managers to prove that.

Having said that, it's just not enough.
That's a good point, Amir. We really don't want to be going back to the sad days of Moyes, LvG, and Jose. I at least look forward to games since Ole became the manager.

Zhagzi

But like i said, Ive been in full support of this project, but the setup & tactics hae been baffling and have really cost us recently.
He's really just been doing the DOF job here, rather than a proper manager's job. Someone has mentioned it before on here and I'd be inclined to agree - Solskjær should be our DOF, not our manager. He has the right attitude and overall strategy for the club and where it needs to go, but he doesn't have a proper well-drilled tactical mindset which a manager is required to have.

Zhagzi

Hopefully he is gone by Monday
Don't be silly. The majority of the CAF were screaming for us to be chasing the PL rather than going for trophies in Europe in the last couple of years, and here we are out of ChL, which can hopefully be a gift in disguise in terms of energy for the rest of the season where the Premier League looks quite open and up for a good challenge. The shifted focus on PL games can hopefully make us at least have a good crack at the title race.

Giggsyking

Our squad has won more league pts than Liverpool n City since Bruno signed for us.

Stop expecting perfect results and perfect performances from a team that is very far from being perfect.

Fans just want us to be the best team in the world again. Those days are gone. The team is actually performing close to its ability in terms of results. We are a top 4 chasing team right now. Not champions elect.
One if the worst comments on this forum since it started. Some people are just unreal.

Cloud7

A lot of articles about a looming sack now.

Rightly so in my opinion. 2 years and heavy spending and we look worse than when he came in. It was an experiment and it failed - time to find a coach with successful PL experience and who has built at least one PL team who play a good brand of football.

This team will transform without any signing after a few weeks of good coaching - there are too many good players for it not too.
Where are these articles? I haven’t seen any around. Please link some, I need something to cling on to some hope that this is almost over, because all experience with Woody and friends tells me that this is far from over.

Apokalips

I just can’t see another manager coming here and things suddenly clicking, I honestly don’t know anymore.
Happens everywhere else in the world, why would it be different at United? Because we have hired 'proven' managers like Jose and it didn't work?

Clubs have sacked far better managers than Ole and changed fortunes. Even if Ole's immediate replacement doesn't do well, we can move on from him too. If we had a 5 goal a season striker, we would look to replace him and if the replacement could only muster 6 goals we would want him replaced too, the weird 'can't do better' logic never seems to apply to players for some reason.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Happens everywhere else in the world, why would it be different at United? Because we have hired 'proven' managers like Jose and it didn't work?

Clubs have sacked far better managers than Ole and changed fortunes. Even if Ole's immediate replacement doesn't do well, we can move on from him too. If we had a 5 goal a season striker, we would look to replace him and if the replacement could only muster 6 goals we would want him replaced too, the weird 'can't do better' logic never seems to apply to players for some reason.
Yeah that’s fair, maybe I’m just scarred? :lol: let’s be honest we know who the next manager would be, so would Poch come in and make us compete again? I’m really not sure.

Jeffthered

Ole had the 3rd highest win ratio of any Utd manager ever.

He's just won 9 straight away games in PL. A club record.

He came 3rd in his only fully season to date and we are currently 5pts off the top with a game in hand

You lot are the nutters. Entitled brats who expect Fergie results from a team that isn't as good. We aren't the best in the world anymore.
This is my concern, and it looks to a wider debate regarding the overwhelming appropriation of stats in football nowadays. What do these states actually mean? That he's doing very well, that he's a top manager?

The 2020 football programme has been crazy, and I look on such stats with a sense of caution. Where has been the 'great away' record during our CL campaign?

I am looking at OGS, the resources at his disposal, and the development of our squad. It's clear after over 100 matches in charge, we still lack an identity in terms of play, approach to games, aspiration, targets... I read somewhere yesterday that OGS is focused on a top four finish. That's standard for a club of our size, pedigree and history!

His signings are some good, some not so good. I see little development of players (and we have many good players and some top, top players...).

And he doesn't look convinced himself.. even now, and all of these hesitations reflect in our games and performance.
We now approach many games as sensitive underdogs, rather than winners with a sense of conviction... We're supposed to be Red Devils playing in the ' Theatre of Dreams' ffs!

We'll play well against Citeh, because no one expects us to win. How sad is that.

A Club legend but an average manager, and he needs to careful as to how he is using this opportunity, and what his legacy may be.

Giggsyking

I have been firmly in the Ole in camp.... But last night i realised i was buying into the romance of him being a success.....
Not only you, every Ole in fan is supporting him out of sentimentality. If he was not Ole Solskjær, if he was Molde present manager whatever his name is, they would have been the first people who laugh at giving him the job in the first place, let alone keep letting him spread mediocrity and stupidity
all over the pitch.

TheRedDevil2019

The mainstream media's blatant disregard for Ole and United is laughable. They want to see the club fall. After every negative scoreline, it's the same repetitive bullcrap of Ole out, Poch In, Man United in a crisis, Ole's Odds slashed as favorite to be sacked. It's sickening. The press will be creaming in their pants if Poch got the job.

I have no idea how the poor Nowergian sleeps at night after a defeat, the eagles are all out, ready to pick him off little by little until he has nothing left. It's just relentless, almost soul-destroying stuff.

Yet we see the likes of Arteta receive much fairer treatment (only now are the sack rumors doing the rounds). Guardiola is below Ole in the league, yet you don't see the pressure being up'ed on him.

There's a real nasty agenda against United in the media, and Ole get's treated badly by those responsible for pushing the headlines.

Last night was a damning blow, but it's not the end of the season. League form is getting very consistent and if we can beat City this weekend, perhaps it'll be the start of mounting a title challenge.

Ole In for me. It's a rocky road with plenty of bumps and stop-starts along the way, but at the end of the journey, Ole will have us back where we should be.

Fracture90

That moment when upon finishing your shift and tuning in to watch the game whilst in traffic you see the result, but you're not shocked nor disappointed, just numb and deflated.

Let's be honest nobody expected us to start the group as we did, but damn sure everyone expected us to finish the way we did.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
One if the worst comments on this forum since it started. Some people are just unreal.
Shameful stuff indeed. This might sound harsh but some of these people look like they are projecting their lack of ambition and philosophy on life on the club.

Middle of the road is fine for your personal life but this is a high-end professional field these guys are in. That's why the club is so big. The money spent getting an edge here can be compared to what big firms spend on R&D to get ahead of the competition. Their CEOs get sacked if they don't perform and so should our manager if results are not being achieved.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
On the plus side a shot at the Europa league boosts our chances of being back in the CL next season. One of us Spurs or Chelsea is missing out on top 4 Solskjaer or no Solskjaer.
Not that I believe Ole can navigate us to that trophy, but if he did, we could do this all over next season. What's the point of qualifying for the CL if we can't get out of the group stages?

As people have said, we're a team that's aiming for top 4, not a top 4 team aiming to push on. Even though Ole has said he wants to improve on last season. When we don't "start well" or whatever it is, Ole often says he can't put his finger on it, nor can Maguire. Well, we need someone who actually knows what he's doing and then the players can have a clear idea of how to proceed.

Greck

Yeah that’s fair, maybe I’m just scarred? :lol: let’s be honest we know who the next manager would be, so would Poch come in and make us compete again? I’m really not sure.
I like Poch but if he comes and after 2 years we're on the same spot squinting to see any semblance of progress I'd hope we shoot him into the sun. No time for sentiments. Don't know why people fall so in love with underperforming managers they want the club to gamble everything on them. After years of looking down on Madrid fans I now envy this trait of theirs

Apokalips

I feel you mate, I am a bit unsure on Poch too and have no idea who will definitely make us compete, but we have to realise that no club does. Instead they refuse to hang onto something that is obviously not working or getting the best out of the squad and try a different approach.

Last night summed Ole up, he says the right things about not going for a 0-0, but his line up consists of 5 defenders and 2 holding midfielders. We started with no intention of dominating the game and were rightly and swiftly punished by a team that knew the stakes. We are only decent once the chips are down and it is desperation time, if we have time to think we freeze.

Volumiza

This is my concern, and it looks to a wider debate regarding the overwhelming appropriation of stats in football nowadays. What do these states actually mean? That he's doing very well, that he's a top manager?
I was thinking exactly the same while watching the match last night. Stats say we are in a good position in the league. My eyes tell me that we're damned lucky to be in that position, have our performances actually deserved that? Stats say one thing, my eyes and brain another.

Also, watching the match last night, the chance creation stat came up and chances created and shots on target were actually similar between the two teams, so if you went on stats you could say the teams were about equal ... my eyes and brain were saying something completely different.

I take some stats with a pinch of salt.

Idxomer

Have people really been looking forward to our games this season?

Almost every 1st half this season has been pure torture and the team doesn't turn up till the 30th minute or even later in the 2nd half.

This has been as bad as any of the awful periods under LVG and Mourinho, just we've been a bit luckier.

Yet we see the likes of Arteta receive much fairer treatment (only now are the sack rumors doing the rounds). Guardiola is below Ole in the league, yet you don't see the pressure being up'ed on him.
Arteta has been in the job 11 months, and as you say, rumours are already doing the rounds just 3 months into his first full season. When did you want the rumours to start man? :lol:

Guardiola has won 2 league titles at City and has possibly the best CV in World football. He's also already qualified from his CL group.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Arteta has been in the job 11 months, and as you say, rumours are already doing the rounds just 3 months into his first full season. When did you want the rumours to start man? :lol:

Guardiola has won 2 league titles at City and has possibly the best CV in World football. He's also already qualified from his CL group.
People forget Ole wasn't this criticised when he first came

Drz

@Nou_Camp99

Are you aware that Ole's loss-rate is the second worst of all managers post Fergie at 26%? He loses more than a quarter of all of his games.

SAF in comparison lost 17.8%, Jose 19.5%, LVG 23% and Moyes trailing in at 29.5%.
Interesting, what's your source? Would be like to see what his win rate and draw rate is compared to the previous managers as well.

Giggsyking

Interesting, what's your source? Would be like to see what his win rate and draw rate is compared to the previous managers as well.
Why do we care for stats any way? We are out if the champions league after being top of the group in the first 4 games. He should be catapulted out of the club. He and his stupid incompetent staff.

wiki....

The cold hard stats are that Jose spent at almost exactly the same rate, won more, lost less and had trophies to show for it also.

It's why the idea no manager can do well here is so infuriating, in hindsight you could hardly find a worse fit for United than Jose Mourinho, yet he still managed a couple of trophies, a second placed finish, a good win rate and a good loss rate.
Imagine what a top manager that is suited to our club could do?

feck me LVG did a bad job :lol:

ManagerSpend /seasonWin-rateLoss-rateTrophies
Jose€155.36m58.3319.52
Ole€155.14m55.56260
Moyes€77m52.9429.50
LVG€175.67m52.43231

Status
Not open for further replies.