• Yes

Votes: 515 36.3%
  • No

Votes: 904 63.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Real Name

Zidane would be an absolute dissaster at Utd. I am sorry you don't see that but I do. He can't speak English, he would have to deal with a non-footballing board of directors, he has no experience of the English game. He is not stupid, Utd job is a guarenteed failure for him. Brendan is way more qualified to deal with Utd's problems than fecking Zidane.
What a car crash of a post. All the 3 reasons why by your opinion he'd be a disaster are silly to put it mildly.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
When people say Rodgers is best "qualified" to be our manager, what is this actual qualification?

Having been in this league previously?
Being British?

Whereas some see the "almost" winning the league as a huge plus, I kind of see that as a huge miss, as he bodged it critically at the last leg.
They only really had to draw at home to a Chelsea team, that people forget were quite depleted.

Instead he came out all gung-ho, not helped by Stevie G's mad moment and subsequent display of one of the most self centered displays of football ever seen, of course.

He's won a cup at Leicester, but he's also seen their season crumble late on league position wise each season. This season they've not been great either.
Some of the signings aren't great to say the least.

I'd be worried.

Lecland07

There's two slightly separate points, I think.

One is whether Leicester on paper should have been expecting to finish in the top four based on spend. And in that sense you're absolutely correct, they would be overachieving in that regard.

The other is given that Leicester actually were in poll position to secure top four two years in a row then should Rodgers have been able to secure it in at least one of those years based on the de facto reality of the teams involved at point?

Put it this way: by the logic of the above, any year we didn't win the title over the last several would be underperformance. But in real terms most people accepted that our team was in a place where that wasn't realistic despite our spend, so expectations were adjusted in line with where the team actually was.

The same also applies in reverse for Leicester. You can say that any year Leicester were involved in the top four race is overperformance, but in real terms most people accepted that a top four finish was very much realistic for Leicester over those two seasons given they spent more time in the top four than anyone else (567 days over both seasons). At which point it's fair to ask why they blew it both times from that excellent position.
That is true, but then a lot of that happened because they did not have the depth to cover their injuries, which comes back to money again. It happened both seasons and contributed greatly to their inability to keep up in the top four race.

In the second season, they had even more games with being in the Europa League, so that didn't help with that problem.

That is why I don't really see a negative in it because there is a viable reason outside of the manager's ability.

soapythecat

With the good news that Southgate is about to sign an extension with England. A strong ‘no thanks’ from BR would be just what we need to hear right now.
Whilst both would be a massive step up in quality from Ole, long term I don’t fancy either of them as our manager.

Heinzesight

I just don’t like the bloke.

Not really a valid reason I know but visualising him prowling the touch line at Old Trafford just doesn’t sit right.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Zidane would be an absolute disaster at Utd. I am sorry you don't see that but I do. He can't speak English, he would have to deal with a non-footballing board of directors, he has no experience of the English game. He is not stupid, Utd job is a guarenteed failure for him. Brendan is way more qualified to deal with Utd's problems than fecking Zidane.
What experience of the PL did Pep, Klopp and Tuchel have before coming over?

He can't speak English? Firstly, it's not hard to learn and secondly our best players are the ones whose languages he speaks (and might persuade to stay). Given he speaks Italian, Spanish and French, I can't imagine English will be much of a test :lol: .

Finally, Rodgers appears to always operate with a DoF and by the sounds of it wants to bring his own people in who have failed at other clubs in the past. He won't be allowed to do that here and he didn't win much when he was.

If you can't see how ridiculous your points are, there's not much more there to be said.

Acole9

Outstanding
With the good news that Southgate is about to sign an extension with England. A strong ‘no thanks’ from BR would be just what we need to hear right now.
Whilst both would be a massive step up in quality from Ole, long term I don’t fancy either of them as our manager.
I wondered why his odds changed. That is good news.

Cantonagotmehere

I just don’t like the bloke.

Not really a valid reason I know but visualising him prowling the touch line at Old Trafford just doesn’t sit right.
I'm trying to get over this. I think I can. Probably because I just feel the need for any change right now. If I trusted the admin to hire caretaker until after the season I would pick that for sure. I just think they are so inept, they will not be able t o figure that out.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
This is what it’s come to. A fella who came second with Liverpool thanks to Suarez being unplayable. We are totally lacking in aggression and BR is not going to change that without a lot of signings. I really hate this idea and hope it’s not true but it’s exactly like something Woodward/the glazers would do.

Dan_F

When people say Rodgers is best "qualified" to be our manager, what is this actual qualification?

Being British?

Whereas some see the "almost" winning the league as a huge plus, I kind of see that as a huge miss, as he bodged it critically at the last leg.
They only really had to draw at home to a Chelsea team, that people forget were quite depleted.

Instead he came out all gung-ho, not helped by Stevie G's mad moment and subsequent display of one of the most self centered displays of football ever seen, of course.

He's won a cup at Leicester, but he's also seen their season crumble late on league position wise each season. This season they've not been great either.

I'd be worried.
I agree. People are being blinded by their hatred for Ole. Imagine if there was a poll after Jose left asking whether Brendan should be hired, it would have been completely laughed off.

One FA cup doesn’t erase the two consecutive top four failures late on and the fact that he’s a bit of a knob.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
I agree. People are being blinded by their hatred for Ole. Imagine if there was a poll after Jose left asking whether Brendan should be hired, it would have been completely laughed off.

One FA cup doesn’t erase the two consecutive top four failures late on and the fact that he’s a bit of a knob.
Now we're crux of the problem :lol:

Withnail

This is what it’s come to. A fella who came second with Liverpool thanks to Suarez being unplayable. We are totally lacking in aggression and BR is not going to change that without a lot of signings. I really hate this idea and hope it’s not true but it’s exactly like something Woodward/the glazers would do.
It's ridiculous. He was a nearly man for Liverpool and they decided he wasn't good enough and got Klopp in.

What's changed since then? Feck all if you ask me.

The main deficiency for me is that none of his teams have been excellent defensively and you can't win the league without a mean defence.

Dan_F

It’s an issue for me. If he were a stellar coach like Conte, or what we thought we were getting with Jose, I’m sure I’d come round. As it is, I have no interest in chanting his name.

I get that some people might think that’s stupid, but it is what it is.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I kind of just don't know why?

To win an FA Cup?

I prefer Ranieri's team than Rodger's one at Leicester anyway - never mind the fact that I feel that they are still building/aiming to improve upon on Ranieri's success from only 5 years ago anyway.

How has Brendan Rodgers been in Europe when he was Celtic manager?

I'm not expecting him to win the competitions but has his teams looked a bit of a giant when going up against them?

Withnail

It's a huge part of it

It’s an issue for me. If he were a stellar coach like Conte, or what we thought we were getting with Jose, I’m sure I’d come round. As it is, I have no interest in chanting his name.

I get that some people might think that’s stupid, but it is what it is.
Well there is that thing where 'he's a dickhead but he's our dickhead' but that won't be true of Rodgers. I don't think he's good enough but he'll never be fully accepted and as others have said at the first sign of trouble everyone will be on his back.

Real Name

Of all the reasons the one 'lets get him just so Ole can leave cause I cant stand Ole and I hate his guts' is the most baffling.

Teja

I hope they have buy in from the players if they chose to go this way.

Ixion

Of all the reasons the one 'lets get him just so Ole can leave cause I cant stand Ole and I hate his guts' is the most baffling.
I think you may have embellished people's reasons there a little.

Telsim

I'm sorry, but if we passed on Antonio Conte just to appoint Brendan Rodgers a month later... If this comes to pass, I will take a break from football for the foreseeable future. For the sake of my mental health.

Govi87

I don't understand the appetite for Rogers at all. He's a good manager, but Leicester is his level. He constantly bottled the top 4 and bottled the league (thankfully) for the scousers. Any has everyone forgot about those envelopes? If it was a choice of sticking with Ole until the end of the season, or Rogers in now, I would pick Ole all day long. Get to the summer and then assess the lay of the land managerial wise.

Rangnick's cv is underwhelming, and there is zero chance of him getting DoF with our owners, so that's a dead horse. Zidane is free now, but I don't know why people keep forgetting that he has made it very clear that he has no appetite in managing United through planted stories in the press, so that's dead in the water. If he wanted the job, the board / press and we would know it (just like we all did when the stories of Conte wanting the job came out). Ten Hag is most likely too clever to come to United with the mess behind the scenes, and there is ZERO chance again of the owners hiring someone like VDS, so that's dead in the water. Poch in the summer maybe decides he's had enough molly cuddling the psg players?

To sum it up, I think we're going to be going through this pain for quite a while.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United

This Rodgers vs Ole thing is stupid. We can fire Ole and not get Rodgers. In fact that's exactly what we should do. Let's hire an interim manager and let's reconsider our options during the summer

foxedup

Supports
Leicester
I think people need to temper this "bottled the top 4" thing with the fact we had a ludicrous amount of injuries. He absolutely takes some of the blame, as I do feel his negativity set the seeds for it happening. But we have had horrendous injuries, last season was frankly a minor miracle to finish 5th and win the cup with the injuries with have.

I'm not happy with quite a few things he does and has done, but to balance that out it was a fine job all things considered.

Dan_F

This Rodgers vs Ole thing is stupid. We can fire Ole and not get Rodgers. In fact that's exactly what we should do. Let's hire an interim manager and let's reconsider our options during the summer
Yeah I agree, I’m just not sure who. It’s a shame someone like Ancelotti isn’t available, because looking through the list I just don’t see anyone suitable as a caretaker even.

Winrar

He's absolutely a better manager than Ole if that's the only question but wanting him here obviously takes more than that. The big question mark is if he can handle the pressure of being a United manager not necessarily from the board but rather from the media and players with higher expectations. And will he be afforded all the opportunity to make all the backroom changes necessary for himself.

I don't really see it working out for more than a season or so and I'm being generous, based on how badly Moyes did.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Lots of people on here are underestimating "The Brodge." Easily more qualified than either Ten Hag or Zidane who would both be a massive risk. Brendan is the smart choice, I hope Utd can get him. Pretty sure he will win over the doubters.
Who are these people coming out of the woodworks for Bodger. He's Irish Moyes but slightly better. Mister fourth place if you're lucky..

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Pretty much. There's no guarantees in management. It would be a lie to say Klopp for example always looked like he'd succeed at Liverpool, it wasn't always roses. He wasn't hired knowing it would work. Picking management is a gamble, obviously there's better gambles than others. Unless you're a loaded club hiring Pep, that's pretty much the biggest sure thing in football.
Liverpool also employ an intelligent structure which United do not. I feel the next manager will ultimately fail because United permit accountants and investor types to call the shots.

Marwood

I dont blame Rodgers for that goal. But they conceeded 49 other goals that season. And it is really hard to win the league with a leaky defence like that. Gerrard had to take the blame and was the scape goat. With a better manager, that goal would not been that crucial.

People keep talking about poor defenders. That might be true. But Rodgers spent heavily on one of them. Ranieri did not have a great defence either at Leicester. In fact, it was probably much worse. He solved it by putting so much attention to the structure of his team.
If via structure he solved the problem of lower playing talent what happened the following season?

The Bloody-Nine

Surprising how many of you think that Leicester should be finishing above us, Liverpool, City, and Chelsea, never mind teams like Spurs.

Or maybe you don't know what bottling means.

ROFLUTION

Being British?

I'd be worried.
Ole got 2nd too, so yeah overall I dont see any difference neither. Dont see any particular "Rodgers system" neither. Itd be more of the same medicine, but with a bigger douche of a manager.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
If via structure he solved the problem of lower playing talent what happened the following season?
With Ranieri? What always happens with mediocre coaches. The same that is happening with Rodgers right now. I’m not saying Ranieri was a genius of any meassure. He har a fair share of luck. With a squad far superior of that Rodgers had at Liverpool and at Leicester right now. But a Ranieri side is usually a well organized side. Does not imply that he does not have weaknesses.

AndyMUFC86

Surprising how many of you think that Leicester should be finishing above us, Liverpool, City, and Chelsea, never mind teams like Spurs.

So true, Leicester should be between 7-9th for a decent season. Anything higher is overachieving IMO.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

Bottling means you had something in your hands and fell apart.
That's Rodgers to a tee.

The Bloody-Nine

Bottling means you had something in your hands and fell apart.
That's Rodgers to a tee.
No, it doesn't. Bottling means losing your nerve. Are you saying Rodgers lost his nerve because he finished behind teams that are better than his?

AndyMUFC86

What if a few of those teams are really underachieving? Does that automatically makes Rodgers achievment better?
I think that’s a fair point and should definitely be considered but back to back 5th places shows consistency with a team that isn’t at that level.

I’m not making the point Rodgers is our only hope just that I believe he could take us forward and have us challenging for trophy’s at a higher level than we currently are.

Whoever comes in is going to have a really tough time overhauling pep and Klopp IMO

InspiRED

Supports
Outraged snowflakes
My thanks to other posters on this thread for providing information I didn't know about Rodgers. If what i've read is true it does seem he is a bit dodgy with with transfers. THis is why I don't work in football as I don't really know that much. Still, what's alarming is I think I, and pretty much any other Tom, Dick or Harry that watches games, probably still know more than a lot of the board. Htf is it that they can't be trusted to do their jobs properly? Oh yeah, their jobs are selling the brand,. Much clearer.

Status
Not open for further replies.