Would you take Zlatan for a year?

Would you take Zlatan back on a short-term deal?

• Total voters

Raw

The issue is, Mourinho and Zlatan operated on mutual respect and understanding. What happens if Zlatan doesn't like Ole's methods? Or when Ole doesn't start him in big games? Or subs him off early?

That will get ugly very soon.
Good point. Remains to be seen if Ole can manage a huge ego like Zlatan's. Especially if he's not going to be starting every week.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Good point. Remains to be seen if Ole can manage a huge ego like Zlatan's. Especially if he's not going to be starting every week.
If I were you I would only take him if he was happy to be a back up player. I think he'd be a better stop gap than Mandzukic, who it looks like you'll get in Jan. Your front line of Martial Rashford and James is excellent but the minute one of them goes, the others are likely to struggle under the pressure and Greenwood, good as he could be, is not experienced enough to be the answer. To be able to bring in Ibra as the front man with two fast players on either side of him could be good and he could be an excellent sub if you're chasing a goal. But if he wants to be the main man, then I'd steer well clear.

lex talionis

I seriously doubt Ibra would come to OT and undermine the manager. He’s a consummate professional.

Dan-Utd

Some guy called into Radio5 Live last night and reckons that Zlatan is desperate to come back to Manchester United and has unfinished business here.

I'm not so sure, in his first season he smashed it and proved that he could do the business in the PL, I don't really see why he'd be desperate to come back again, Personally I wouldn't be surprised to see him go play in a country he hasn't played in before, seems like the kind of guy that would take motivation from going somewhere new and proving that even at his age he can boss it... like Germany.

el3mel

Some guy called into Radio5 Live last night and reckons that Zlatan is desperate to come back to Manchester United and has unfinished business here.

I'm not so sure, in his first season he smashed it and proved that he could do the business in the PL, I don't really see why he'd be desperate to come back again, Personally I wouldn't be surprised to see him go play in a country he hasn't played in before, seems like the kind of guy that would take motivation from going somewhere new and proving that even at his age he can boss it... like Germany.
He's strongly linked to Milan, not us at all.

redmanc

No brainer for january in my opinion, feck signing some 33+ year old from Germany, bring back the lion on loan, presence in the dressing room and still got enough about him to give us a decent plan B on the pitch.

Needham

I heard that guy. Sounded more deluded than a man who believes Hilaire Belloc still to be alive.

M Bison

Supports
York City
I’d rather give the minutes to Greenwood. Zlatan could still do a job I’m sure but Greenwood getting minutes as the no 9 is vital.

meamth

I’d rather give the minutes to Greenwood. Zlatan could still do a job I’m sure but Greenwood getting minutes as the no 9 is vital.
In the cup competition yes, but not in the PL.

Playing him on the right is natural development for young forwards like him.

Having Zlatan means we have another player who is capable to lead the line when Martial goes missing.

RUCK4444

I’m glad we have moved away from throwing money at older players - however!

I would take Zlatan back for one year purely because this team lacks two things Characters and strength in depth.

He would provide both and take some pressure off the youngsters or fill in when we get injuries to Rashford or Martial.

Even if he didn’t kick a ball I believe we desperately need characters like him in the squad. Would like him to slap the stupid out of JLingz for a start.

Reactions: Rood

sugar_kane

As much as I loved Zlatan’s first season here and would argue he was one of the best (albeit short term) post fergie signings I wouldn’t have him back.

this is not just because he’s three years older now, but rather because his initial arrival sparked a chain of events which almost resulted in Martial leaving the club

I doubt Martial would be thrilled to see him return and we need him 100% focused right now

Deglobalise Football

Supports
Harlepool United
In the cup competition yes, but not in the PL.

Playing him on the right is natural development for young forwards like him.

Having Zlatan means we have another player who is capable to lead the line when Martial goes missing.
Zlatan doesn't do substitute.

stepic

Anyone advocating bringing back an utterly pointless short term fix has learnt nothing over the last 5 years.

Tarrou

I think it would be worth it just to have him influence our young players for a while

but thinking it through, if Martial is injured again I'd rather have Ibra there than any of our other options

Also, a big issue we have is breaking down teams who defend deep. Now that we have a player who can cross a ball, he might come in handy with his aerial ability.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Anyone advocating bringing back an utterly pointless short term fix has learnt nothing over the last 5 years.
He could be useful on a short term loan. The boost it could give us would be enormous, however we know how moody Martial can get. Do we want to risk upsetting the team dynamic, now we finally appear to be seeing the best of him?

It’s a tough call. The more I think about it, the less I want to see Martial shunted out to the left again. Especially for someone who clearly wasn’t the player he was when he left here as when he arrived.

lsd

The Oracle
Take him but probably not give him Martial's shirt this time

Hambley

I think his resignment will make us look stupid. It's gonna be like "so why the hell we resigned him once and then let him go to resign him again?". But of course Zlatan would improve this team even being on the bench.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
I’m glad we have moved away from throwing money at older players - however!

I would take Zlatan back for one year purely because this team lacks two things Characters and strength in depth.

He would provide both and take some pressure off the youngsters or fill in when we get injuries to Rashford or Martial.

Even if he didn’t kick a ball I believe we desperately need characters like him in the squad. Would like him to slap the stupid out of JLingz for a start.
Agreed. I dont want us to sign Manduzick, but having Zlatan here from January onward would be nice and if Martial should be injured again, he would me a much better option there than any of our other players

Honestly i would have him back just to hear his chant again. Love that one

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
It'd be unlikely to work out, as he might view Ole, Phelan & co as amateurish compared to Mourinho and his staff.

Last edited:

Craig Ward

Massive no from me.

Zlatan was good for us, but was quite limited then yet alone now (yes his goal return was impressive)
His presence and ego is immense, but he has had his time here.

We need to think long term - Zlatan isn't long term at all. If we just wanted a lump in the box who can score goals for fun we'd have kept Lukaku. Doesn't fit the kind of forward Ole wants at all

stevoc

He was clearly finished at the top level two years ago at 36 when we let him go, i don't imagine aging two years has changed that.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
I'm usually against this type of thing but could be a good idea if it was just from January to the end of the season as long as he was aware he wouldn't necessarily be a starter each week and definitely wouldn't nick Martials number again. Big presence in the dressing room and could do what Larsson did for us all those years ago.

We may struggle to get the right striker in the January window, this may be a good option till we can do some proper shopping in the summer.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
No for 2 reasons.
1) He is clearly past the ability to play in the physical league that is the PL.
2) Even he was at the same level he was when he joined, we are going with a front 3 of pace. He doesn’t fit that style. Zlatan could hold the ball up brilliantly at his peak but now he’d slow it down. Haaland is more the type that we need right now.

Loved him though!

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Zlatan is a professional. He's not one to create turmoil in the club. He's got a big ego outwards ego but he's very much a team player. Ole and Zlatan have played for their national teams in the same time period and know each other. According to Ole, Zlatan has his number, so one can assume that they are at least acquaintances.

Something you simply cannot take away from Zalatan is that he still got moments of absolute brilliance left in him. If you get him the ball, he can make magic happen. Just look at some of these goals from 2019:
Ibra is still one of the best finishers in football, and if he wants to come here for 6 months to finish his MUFC mission, then I'll be delighted if that happens, he's instantly our best attacking player.

RUCK4444

Agreed. I dont want us to sign Manduzick, but having Zlatan here from January onward would be nice and if Martial should be injured again, he would me a much better option there than any of our other players

Honestly i would have him back just to hear his chant again. Love that one
Yeah exactly, he’s an awesome character and I think it would give the lads a good lift and help push them on in the new year just having the guy around.

He exudes confidence and that tends to rub off.

I also would like to think he wouldn’t let the standards slip, an extra voice to help Ole give them a kick up the backside when needed.

ash_86

If we couldn't find anyone we want in Jan then absolutely. He's quality and won't impede growth of anyone we have long term

Alfie092

Yes providing he is willing to play a bit-part role and only maybe start in the cup games including the Europa League, even though in the cups I would rather play Greenwood. However, Ole does tend to play Greenwood on the wings and you never know Greenwood could easily get injured, forcing us to play Martial or Rashford in the cups which I do not want at all until we reach the later rounds.

Our squad is thin as it is and it's vital we are able to rest some of our key attacking players when we are playing lesser teams in the cup games so they are fully raring to go in the Premier League, as I genuinely believe there is an outside chance of us making the top 4. However, we need to see much more consistency with our performances and need to go on an incredible run, including beating teams above us for that to happen.

Zlatan would also be a huge asset off the pitch and not just on it when he plays. Oh and he is extremely entertaining to have around the club :D

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies

Unsurprisingly we aren't going for him, I'd have him as back up but I doubt he'd be happy with that role. If we're going for a striker it needs to be someone who doesn't mind warming the bench but can do a job, I'd go for someone with a bit of ariel presence to get on the end of James's crosses.

Dinghy

Most overrated United-player for the last 30 years. Had a decent first season, but missed a lot of clear-cut chances and was never anywhere near being worth the £370K we paid him each week.

meamth

Most overrated United-player for the last 30 years. Had a decent first season, but missed a lot of clear-cut chances and was never anywhere near being worth the £370K we paid him each week.
Yes, but he worked those defenders arse off.

He was fecking dangerous.