Would you take Zlatan for a year?

Would you take Zlatan back on a short-term deal?

• Total voters

Bondi77

One of the things I noticed when Ibra was with us was that Pogba was a quieter person and we did not get the media crap we are getting now around him; I know they had both just came to the club and all that but sometimes a big personality is not so big when there is another in the room.
I would have him back in a heartbeat as he is a winner and I just think he can step up when required, a genuine set piece threat to boot as well.

edcunited1878

Mata is a number #10 though and hopefully that trend is soon to stop, with Gomes getting his minutes.
Gomes can play wide or in the hole/#10. Zlatan is suited to play a 9 or second striker/10. Point is that having Zlatan as an option against Wolves and Palace and any other team who sits back is a great option and anything better than United currently have. Llorente would be an option too.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Zlatan as some sort of dressing room presence, by all means.

Back on the pitch? 2 years on from already looking clattered? Sorry, but no.

witchtrials

Absolutely not. Incorporating him made Mourinho's system stodgy. An old man lumbering around up front has no place in the way that Solskjaer is trying to get the team playing.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
I’d love him back for the season.

Art Vandelay

One of the things I noticed when Ibra was with us was that Pogba was a quieter person and we did not get the media crap we are getting now around him; I know they had both just came to the club and all that but sometimes a big personality is not so big when there is another in the room.
I would have him back in a heartbeat as he is a winner and I just think he can step up when required, a genuine set piece threat to boot as well.
I'd love him back, but his freekicks for us outside of that one in the final were awful. Not Rashford levels of awful, but he rarely looked like scoring. We haven't got the delivery to make the most of his height either.

Halal Jalal

I love Zlatan and greatly appreciate how he lived up to his reputation despite coming to PL in his mid-thirties.
He's a genuine leader and alpha wolf, something we desperately lack in our current dressing room. The only personality is PP but he understandably won't commit to leadership role with all the toxicity surrounding the club.
Who is supposed to be a role model for these "young, hungry, British" talents we're allegedly focusing on? Mata? Young? Hardly inspirational characters, don't you think.

That being said, I believe he's simply too "big" for us now, considering the club structure. Can you imagine Ole attempting to handle Zlatan if he demands first team role or something? Even Zlatan's current manager in MLS has more relevant credentials to his name than Ole.

Fracture90

Gomes can play wide or in the hole/#10. Zlatan is suited to play a 9 or second striker/10. Point is that having Zlatan as an option against Wolves and Palace and any other team who sits back is a great option and anything better than United currently have. Llorente would be an option too.
Mate now you're forcing square pegs into round holes. I seriously doubt that Gomes can be effective playing wide, he's much more suited to play as a #10 where his technical ability and passing ability can come good. I'm not against having an option B, but I'm more inclined to go for Llorente because we know that he would accept being option B, whilst Zlatan and his ego on the other side…

edcunited1878

Mate now you're forcing square pegs into round holes. I seriously doubt that Gomes can be effective playing wide, he's much more suited to play as a #10 where his technical ability and passing ability can come good. I'm not against having an option B, but I'm more inclined to go for Llorente because we know that he would accept being option B, whilst Zlatan and his ego on the other side…
Gomes played wide all throughout pre-season and during his senior match(es) last year. He also moves around the pitch, as would Zlatan. Playing from the wide area doesn't mean you're a 'winger'. United need playmakers on the pitch, they currently only have Pogba and Martial.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Right now I'd say no, but come November when we're reduced to using Lingard as a striker and have Ashley Young on the wing, it'll probably look like a good idea.

At the moment we've got ourselves in a situation where signing John OShea back as a striker could be considered an improvement to squad strength.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
No. Let Rashford and Martial take the prominent role upfront.

stevoc

No he was past it at the top level 2 years ago, being two years older won't have helped that.

The Lion is too old, yeah he could easily play in the Premier League doesn't mean he would be any good.

Unam333

No striker will see Zlatan as a pensioner. And hed be a plan B, not taking anyone's place.
I do agree that nobody will see him as a pensioner. In fact, as a legend of the game the young players will look up to him.

He's smart enough to know he's not in his prime anymore. However, footballers always want to play no matter how old they are, and I fear that he doesn't see himself as plan B, more like plan Z(latan): he expects to play and start in the line-up.

If he's willing to start from the bench, then please join us Zlatan.
His winning mentality, experience off the field can be so valuable.
In training sessions he can bring so much.

Just like in business life, a young and upcoming apprentice can learn so much from the experienced senior employees, different insights on how to approach a case, learn to respect etc.

Last edited:

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
First post so be gentle. Would I take Zlatan back today? Yes. I would go as far as contribute towards his airfare back to Manchester. :drool:

He seems to "get" Manchester United, would be kind of like when we signed Henrik Larsson in my opinion bar the fact this would be his second stint here.

Would be superb for him to offer some guidance to Greenwood and the other young players, he could even play as a number 10 while Jesse Lingard can polish his boots or something.

Pipe dream but you never know, why else would it be reported, especially on the BBC.

Chance of it happening in January 3/10 in my opinion.
Hey up Jules, only talking about you on the forum a few weeks ago, reminiscing about the day you made Lee Dixon wish he had been talented enough to be a midfielder, or a striker, or tall enough to be a central defender, happy days.

Welcome to the maddest of Houses. ;)

ps. 1/10 for Zlatan returning, at best

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
@golden_blunder don't we need a poll on this to spice things up a bit?

I'd say a million percent yes! Would be great for the dressing room (not least Pogba), leadership on and off the pitch, and he's absolute class. Please let this happen. I don't care if he's 47 years old now.

red thru&thru

Yes, yes, yes. Need a leader in that dressing room. Need someone to kick some arses and put players in their place.

Walters_19_MuFc

Yes. Not as a starter, of course, but for a plan B or to play in cup games. He's someone our younger lads could learn a lot off.

Fracture90

Gomes played wide all throughout pre-season and during his senior match(es) last year. He also moves around the pitch, as would Zlatan. Playing from the wide area doesn't mean you're a 'winger'. United need playmakers on the pitch, they currently only have Pogba and Martial.
And we all agreed that he doesn't look very good nor effective playing wide, obviously when he's playing wide he ain't a winger 'per se', but still, he's talents are being poorly utilised when he's playing in that position. Have we learned nothing from playing Mata out wide all these years?

I do agree we need playmakers, hence why I'm suggesting playing Gomes in the #10 position, or even play MF 3 with Pogba, Fred and MCT.

Fracture90

Ok you think they wont get enough minutes? We are paper thin up top to begin with, they will all get plenty of minutes.
Yep I'm afraid so. Either way if this season is already forfeited, I much prefer we get the chemistry going between our squad, much rather than bringing back a player who's clearly past it just out of nostalgia.

Casanova85

Supports
Cruyff/SAF
Hell yes. First sub if we are 0-0 by the time the first half ends. We are struggling to score goals. Also, penalty shooter whenever he's on the pitch.

DevilRed

He would be a great addition to the team, but I'm not sure even at his age if he would accept being a backup.

What a difference he could make in the dressing room though. Would only add to the positivity we have now.

Giuliano Maiorana

Hey up Jules, only talking about you on the forum a few weeks ago, reminiscing about the day you made Lee Dixon wish he had been talented enough to be a midfielder, or a striker, or tall enough to be a central defender, happy days.

Welcome to the maddest of Houses. ;)

ps. 1/10 for Zlatan returning, at best
Ah I remember it like it was yesterday. What could have been eh? :)

edcunited1878

And we all agreed that he doesn't look very good nor effective playing wide, obviously when he's playing wide he ain't a winger 'per se', but still, he's talents are being poorly utilised when he's playing in that position. Have we learned nothing from playing Mata out wide all these years?

I do agree we need playmakers, hence why I'm suggesting playing Gomes in the #10 position, or even play MF 3 with Pogba, Fred and MCT.
Gomes scored his goal from the left channel after linking up with Mata of all people in pre-season. Play from the wide areas isn't a negative thing, especially when you're coming in from the channel. When teams sit back against United, you need someone who can be a threat aerially, understand how to make space for yourself for a shot and unlock a defense with one touch from any area in the attacking third that is full of bodies. Zlatan would be a good option.

When United went behind against Palace, they didn't have the right player (i.e. central mid) to push Pogba higher up the pitch. If Ole went with a 4312, Gomes can be the 10 with Rashford and Martial ahead with Pogba, McTominay and Lingard/Pereria/Fred as the right CM. James would be a good sub option to inject direct pace/width.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
The zlatan **** never ceases to amaze me
It's understandable. The guy can do with a football even all time greats couldn't. Some of the goals he has scored cannot be explained. These fans then ignore any logical argument of how immobile he is or what glaring weaknesses he had while playing for us. Incredible talent + charming personality and of course you have those that throw out logic when it comes to Ibra.

Been a big fan throughout the years myself but he's always had weaknesses. He achieved a 6th place finish with us so that's something.

arthurka

Yep I'm afraid so. Either way if this season is already forfeited, I much prefer we get the chemistry going between our squad, much rather than bringing back a player who's clearly past it just out of nostalgia.
That is a really good point that I can fully agree with, but I see us struggle this season due to a thin squad.