Would you take Zlatan for a year?

Would you take Zlatan back on a short-term deal?

• Total voters

ROFLUTION

YES! Would be awesome.
Mentality wise he'd be a gift. We need more than one attacker anyways

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Subjectively - Yes. Sometimes we could use Zlat's genius to brake defenses and he always offer something completely different than your average attacker.

Other than that he's totally not Ole's alley if we're trying to play something different to Jose's waiting game on the pitch.

redshaw

Ole knows what to do now, the people have spoken.

Geronwivit Ole

John Blund

I'd take Zlatan, even if he just wanna be a coach. He got the mentality we need. We're going to win every game because I am Zlatan.
And he could talk some sense into our younger players.
"Become a winner - Nobody likes a loser."

lex talionis

No, not joking. Our scoring production against Wolves and Palace, clubs no one would argue are anywhere close to City and Liverpool in class, was poor. Even if we had scored on both pk's we still would have underperformed offensively against sides we should have smashed in 3 or 4 goals against.

Now that Lukaku and Sanchez are both gone, rightly so, we're short on depth and, quite frankly, short on leadership in this squad. Zlatan, who of course has lost a step, still brings class that Martial and Rashford just don't yet have.

Martial's and Rashford's pace is nullified by bus parking opposition. Ibra can crush defenses who sit back.

Hughie77

This guy would bring the experience needed! The young ones would look up to him, he would demand the performance.
It's a risk with his age, but a good risk.
Only from Jan to end of season. Henrik Larsson came that time years ago, Rooney relished it. The guy is top class, he could teach theses young ones how to be better.

edgar allan

No, not joking. Our scoring production against Wolves and Palace, clubs no one would argue are anywhere close to City and Liverpool in class, was poor. Even if we had scored on both pk's we still would have underperformed offensively against sides we should have smashed in 3 or 4 goals against.

Now that Lukaku and Sanchez are both gone, rightly so, we're short on depth and, quite frankly, short on leadership in this squad. Zlatan, who of course has lost a step, still brings class that Martial and Rashford just don't yet have.

Martial's and Rashford's pace is nullified by bus parking opposition. Ibra can crush defenses who sit back.
The Ibra of 4 years ago might have, the Rooney of 6 years ago, the Van Persie of 8 years ago etc.

Cockney Phil

I voted yes.
I think he would be a great trainer for our forwards and give the squad some identity.
He could play a few games in the Muppet Cup to help the youth and stand in for injuries.
I think that would suit him and Ole.

friendlytramp

More full of crap than a curry house toilet
Even if this was remotely likely surely he couldn’t join til jan anyway?

ants7

Im just hoping that majority of the "yay" voters are doing it just for the wind up.

We need a way forward. Not a relic with his head deep inside his own arse.

Foxbatt

As others have said when teams park inside their own box Zlatan still will break them. If we are playing teams who are attacking us then he cannot play well. He is still a very good player if he does not have to run around. In games like against Palace put the ball in the box and he probably would outmuscle their defenders to score.
Henrik was a relic too and he did not score much but SAF said his presence made a huge difference. If we are waiting for the next summer transfer window getting Zlatan now would be a good move.

A-man

As others have said when teams park inside their own box Zlatan still will break them. If we are playing teams who are attacking us then he cannot play well. He is still a very good player if he does not have to run around. In games like against Palace put the ball in the box and he probably would outmuscle their defenders to score.
Henrik was a relic too and he did not score much but SAF said his presence made a huge difference. If we are waiting for the next summer transfer window getting Zlatan now would be a good move.
I still remember SAF "I told you so" grin after Larsson scored in his debut.

TBR

I dunno..He's a quality player who doesnt really rely on his speed but he is aging.Hes doing very well in the MLS ,but thats the MLS.
I think we should leave alone.

Vernon Philander

I find it hilarious theres posters on here getting worked up at the idea of this, yet, presumably, would be at worst indifferent to someone like Llorente joining us.

Zlatan would clearly be only used as a back up. He knows the club, and has already a relationship with the likes of Rashford who credited him in helping his game the last time.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Bring the guy back. Pogba s not the kinda guy who seems to want to be a lightning rod for the team. (somewhat understandable) Ibra loves that shit. You need someone who just doesn't give a feck what anyone thinks and we've been short of that for years now. I firmly believe in having a psychological edge by having one or more nutters walking around. Yeah we made fun of someone like Kompany shouting they re gonna win every title under the sun in a single season but you need a bit of cojones like that sometimes to make the players believe they can do more.

lex talionis

The Ibra of 4 years ago might have, the Rooney of 6 years ago, the Van Persie of 8 years ago etc.

The implication that we have so much quality on the front line now that we don’t need this Ibra, vintage 2019, is highly dubious.

Rashford, Martial, Greenwood and James scored how many goals in the PL last season? Maybe 20, tops.

I’d rather we brought in Bruno or even Sergei, but we didn’t and that ship has sailed until next summer. For a January infusion of quality against physical opposition in the league and guile in Europe, Ibra’s physicality and experience could mean the difference between CL qualification and missing out.

IMakeThingsUp

Since united is bound for another season of mediocrity I am all for bringing Zlatan back. At least you would have some entertainment value from the games and pressers and to be honest I think he would set a higher standard for both practices and matches when it comes to performance.

However, I am pretty sure it's not gonna happen. Especially since I am pretty sure Ole would lose his role as the boss in the dressing room. I mean seriously, compare the carisma and respect the two of them generate?

Andersons Dietician

We would have been mid-table if not for Ibra's goals.

Martial, Rashford, Rooney(less said about him that season the better)Lingard, and Mata were all poor in attack.
Were they poor because Zlatans general play was rubbish and all we did was long diagonal balls from Valencia to he and Fellaini?

Eddy_JukeZ

Were they poor because Zlatans general play was rubbish and all we did was long diagonal balls from Valencia to he and Fellaini?
That is absolute rubbish.

His general play wasn't rubbish here. It was fine. We created loads of chances through his subtle movement or good hold up + link-up play.

I remember plenty of games at Old Trafford early on where we peppered teams completely and we kept drawing because our overall finishing was crap + goalkeepers having a stormer.

We also ending up coming back 1 game from Ibra winning a long ball. He headed it to Martial who tied it vs Boro and then Pogba got the winner that game.

But that's besides the point. Mourinho played him too often and often had the team play too many long balls.

We were shit that season!
I loved that season more than any other since Fergie left @Wumminator, right in the top 4 race until the drop off near the end when EL looked in sight. I went to the EL final, loved it. Pogba/Zlatan had struck up a lovely partnership. Palace away with the Zlatan comeback, Liverpool home. Plenty of good memories from that season.

It was a work in progress but it was a good fun season that, compared the other shit 5 years that is. (and I include 2nd place in that).

Won league cup & Europa League and we only lost 5 times in the league that year, only 3 times until May. (vs. City, Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs). Watford away was the only "meh" side to beat us that year.

Compared that to 7 loses when we finished second, 10 last season, 8 in LVG's first year, 10 in his last, 12 in season Moyes. We felt like United again, winning trophies, big players, some great comebacks and rarely beaten. More ruthlessness in front of goal, from Zlatan included and we'd have had a cracking year, those who love mentioning xG would've loved us that season.

Last edited:

Al Capone

Considering we wanted a plan B in the Mandzucic mould then Zlatan until the end of the season isn't a bad thing. A different option that gives teams something different to think about as currently everyone will just let us get bored of having the ball and doing nothing with it. Even slippy is trolling us!

Andersons Dietician

That is absolute rubbish.

His general play wasn't rubbish here. It was fine. We created loads of chances through his subtle movement or good hold up + link-up play.

I remember plenty of games at Old Trafford early on where we peppered teams completely and we kept drawing because our overall finishing was crap + goalkeepers having a stormer.

We also ending up coming back 1 game from Ibra winning a long ball. He headed it to Martial who tied it vs Boro and then Pogba got the winner that game.

But that's besides the point. Mourinho played him too often and often had the team play too many long balls.
He had some of the highest stats for miss placed passes and also for losing the ball. He wasn’t good. He was a statue at times.

edgar allan

The implication that we have so much quality on the front line now that we don’t need this Ibra, vintage 2019, is highly dubious.

Rashford, Martial, Greenwood and James scored how many goals in the PL last season? Maybe 20, tops.

I’d rather we brought in Bruno or even Sergei, but we didn’t and that ship has sailed until next summer. For a January infusion of quality against physical opposition in the league and guile in Europe, Ibra’s physicality and experience could mean the difference between CL qualification and missing out.
He is done.....only his ego remains undiminished.

SilverPaper on the Breeze

I'd love to have him back; could be similar to another short term deal for a swede, Mr Larsson. We've got a very young squad and I think his influence around the team would be of great benefit; I'm sure Greenwood could learn a lot from him. He wouldn't be starting every game, but he'd be a very useful option to have off the bench for his ability to produce something from nothing and also his prowess and size in the air. It pains me to say it, but if Fellaini was still with us, I'd have sent him on against Palace; I like the route we've gone with our forwards (mainly because I've always thought Lukaku was sh*t) but there isn't much of a plan B and I can see us struggling against sides like Palace and Burnley that will defend very deep and not allow Rashford and Martial space in behind.

Also, if we had any pressure penalty, there'd be no debate about who was taking it if he was on the field!

Reactions: Invictus

Eric's Seagull

Would like to have him rather than Llorente. Think he would be a brilliant presence to have around the dressing room but I doubt he want to spend time on the bench.

Eriku

Helping out youngsters? Did he do that here a few years ago? Did he ever do it in his whole career?

People are confusing someone being a loudmouth and a troll (I love some of his) to being a leader.

He has never been a leader in any of his teams. At least not the one that we need right now.
Are you serious?

He clearly demanded A LOT from his team mates, and you could tell that they were on their toes because of it.

If you don't see what he brought to the team mentally during his stay, then I really don't know what to say.

lex talionis

He is done.....only his ego remains undiminished.
Far from "done", mate.

Let's be sure we understand what we're talking about, hypothetically at this point, which is only a half season loan for what presumably not entail a fee payment of any significance. If we're flying high in January, comfortably in a top four position and cruising through the Europa League then take a pass, but if we're struggling below top four and crawling our way through the EL it's hard to imagine what infusion of ability we could possibly come up with in January to help us qualify for the CL, even as a super sub.

The real risk is not that he would underperform against clubs like Wolves and Palace, but because of his age he's at greater risk of a serious injury than players like Rashford and Martial who are 15+ years his junior.

edgar allan

Far from "done", mate.

Let's be sure we understand what we're talking about, hypothetically at this point, which is only a half season loan for what presumably not entail a fee payment of any significance. If we're flying high in January, comfortably in a top four position and cruising through the Europa League then take a pass, but if we're struggling below top four and crawling our way through the EL it's hard to imagine what infusion of ability we could possibly come up with in January to help us qualify for the CL, even as a super sub.

The real risk is not that he would underperform against clubs like Wolves and Palace, but because of his age he's at greater risk of a serious injury than players like Rashford and Martial who are 15+ years his junior.
It was obvious even before he left that he was finished as a top class player and some are trying to imagine that with another year of playing in a second division standard league he will suddenly role back the years!
It is a nostalgic daydream

Jeffthered

Yes now in a heartbeat. He would be a great guy to be around and he does not need to play every game. Make him the captain too.
Exactly. Get 10 games out of him, plenty of 30mins, 60mins etc. He's better than all of our attackers. But his age is a challenge.

But his influence in and around that team could be fantastic. I actually wonder whether Ole could deal with his personality.

Not captain though.