Would you take Zlatan for a year?

Would you take Zlatan back on a short-term deal?

• Total voters

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
Voted yes but a lot depends on the capacity, he would be an "if injured" player only, a last resort, be good to have around but shouldn't be starting

kr1s74

Newbie, so don't slate me too much
I would have him back without doubt, massive lift in the dressing room, not to mention the fans. We don't have someone with his character and winning mentality.
As long as he can handle a bit part role, maybe starts a game we really should win (if there are any atm) and gets time in the EL and cups he would be great to have. Also a better than average "plan B" - we don't have one as it is
If Ole can cope with his aura and not be undermined (think Zlatan will respect him for winning champions league) , then why not. Also think Phelan & Woodward would go for it

AlwaysRed66

Right now I would have him at United for sure, It could mean an extra 10 or 15 points over a season. Might even push us up to a 4th or 5th spot finish.
Have you been on the happy pills or something. More likely we will be 10-15 points worse off. When he was here three years ago in his so called pomp we finished a mighty 6th, & the team moved like a bunch of old men. Pep got rid of him at Barcelona years ago for good reason. Imagine him at Liverpool or City. No, neither can I

kr1s74

It would also keep Pogba in check, and he would be a mentor again for 'Rashy' Martial, Greenwood and all the kids.
Can you imagine Dan James's smiles with this guy helping him

Last edited:

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Yeah I would, although I always had the feeling that his liking for the club was more down to José being here than anything else. I’d be pleasantly surprised if he was willing to come here under Ole.

Fıstıkçı Şahap

If we're seriously thinking about getting a free agent ST we might as well get him over Llorente. He'd make much bigger impact especially in the dressing room with his personality than the Spaniard. His mentality is what we lack in this mediocre squad and the management staff.

LuckyScout78

The transfer window is closed. So he will earliest join United from January. And as a striker or a nr.10. Personally i will say yes to it. But the purpose with adding him is to get top 4 or at least to win Uefa cup again. The premier league title which i think has been gone for United this season. So i still think he can be good enough for a top 4 team. He is might not as fast as earlier. But still he has a quick head, high football vision. And he is still really sharp and a really good finisher. With both feets and kung fu and Shaolin goals.

But like i have said in other thread. If Federico Chiesa is still a Fiorentina player in January. I have recommended United shall go for a really good and versatile upcoming attacking player in Chiesa, who are really good in all 3 roles up there. As left winger, free cam role and as most needed position is right winger.

Back to Zlatan as a striker option. I will welcome every factor and unit that can help United to get top 4 or at least winning Uefa Cup. Again, i still think he can help it. Rashford and Martial have younger and faster legs, but talking about finishing abilities, a sharp and clinical. Consistent clinical. Rashford and Martial noway near Zlatan level.
Zlatan has black belt in Tae Kwon Do. With that it help his agility and body movement. Then he could do all kung fu and Shaolin goals. And that are the reasons behind all his spectacular goals. Agility. Martial and Rashford would be out for months with calf injury, if the muscle is not using to be stretched like Zlatan.

But again. A cliche. If he has really good support and teammates. He will still score many goals. If United get Chiesa in January. Including the support and service from Pogba, Rashford and Martial. From January to the end if season, as a regular striker he will be good enough for around 10 goals. Last half of the season. And to be honest. I would pick Zlatan over Mata as a nr.10 option. And i still believe, Zlatan still can play few touches pass and movement without ball football. Like futsal and five a side football. You have to always move to different areas after you have deliver a pass. So the passing and technical he still has it.

So a potential line up with Zlatan and Chiesa from January.

Chiesa - McTom - Pogba - Martial as left winger against parking bus team.
Martial is a better dribble and better in small areas than Rashford. Reasons why lw. But against better team and counter attack, then i will use Rashford/James as a left winger. Due to theirs tracking back and defensive abilities.

Then upfront you have the combination of the 4 CF/Striker options

Zlatan, Rashford, Martial, Greenwood.

But in the end. I think only for the last half of the season. From January to May. Then i would go for a nr.10 instead of a striker. Kai Havertz from Leverkusen would be a really good option for that role. A free role behind Rashford/Martial/Greenwood.

Zlatan = from Jan to May ——-> top 4/Uefa trophy = goal and purpose with adding Zlatan. I will take every helps i can to achieve it/the goal.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Zlatan? Yeah that's going to be a big fat yes from me. He's still got it. He's not as quick or dribble eager as he once was, but man once the ball lands anywhere near him its kickflip heelvolley time.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Get him in for the Europa League and cup runs. Reckon he'd end up with another trophy too.

SpyLuke10

Yes, but not if he wants to be on 200k a week plus like he was when he was at United before.

Needham

If we do, rearrange the following 4 words: Laughing of Europe Stock

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Have you been on the happy pills or something. More likely we will be 10-15 points worse off. When he was here three years ago in his so called pomp we finished a mighty 6th, & the team moved like a bunch of old men. Pep got rid of him at Barcelona years ago for good reason. Imagine him at Liverpool or City. No, neither can I
Yes Zlatan has a long history of leading his teams to...6th place. It's his thing. Proved throughout his career that you couldn't win titles with a player like him in the side.

AlwaysRed66

Yes Zlatan has a long history of leading his teams to...6th place. It's his thing. Proved throughout his career that you couldn't win titles with a player like him in the side.
Well he is way past it now. Even when he was at his pomp Guardiola wanted rid of him. Imagine either City or Liverpool having him in their ranks. What a joke.

Lookatu

46 goals in 49 games . . . Be that in a far inferior league but yes, in a heartbeat.
He's a leader and he could still beat every single player in the league in the air.
Something we no longer have access too in an attacking sense.
Dont see it happening though but loved him while he was here.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Well he is way past it now. Even when he was at his pomp Guardiola wanted rid of him. Imagine either City or Liverpool having him in their ranks. What a joke.
I find it an odd joke, personally. I don't think you ever watched Zlatan in his prime. He was obviously world class at his peak. Yes he has limitations but so did the vast majority of great strikers throughout the history of the game. He was past his prime by the time he got to United, never mind now! But I agree it doesn't sound at all appealing to bring him back now.

TRUERED89

He was far from his "pomp" who told you that? he was what 35? And still made PL defenders look like amateurs! You cant blame Zlatan for the chuckle brothers in our back 4 who conceded the dumbest of goals every week!

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Definitely not. I may be in a minority here, but i didn't like how we played when he was in our team. I appreciate the goals he scored for us, but thinking on a more holistic level, i don't think it was good for the team. I just thought our overall game suffered when he was playing.

More to the point, i don't think Ole would go near him. He's obviously moving in a very different direction.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Has the quality still, but doesn't sound like a great fit based on the way Ole wants to play. Which means crap-strategy Ed is probably gagging to bring him back.

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
Anyone who says yes hasn’t watched him play for LA. He has absolutely zero responsibility to do anything bar shoot and pass. He doesn’t run at all anymore as his legs are gone. Still an immensely talented player and too good for the MLS but he would be useless in the Prem now.

Phil Osophy

We are offloading past it players who can't perform on the current aggressive style, so I doubt he's even considered.

I think in some games we miss a bit of creative spark near the box, like against Palace with 4 runners up front but not much imagination. A more creative player would do wonders surrounded by pace around him, but I think it needs to fill the requeriments better.

If we want additions (and we need them) let's spend the money on proper players on their peak, or good potential at least. We can't rely on a 37 years old players to achieve our goals, I don't think it's serious.

ExecutionerWasp001

He was at the veteran stage when he joined. Think where we would have been without him though. The problem that season was nobody else stepped up. Pep only got rid because he couldn't handle his personality it was nothing to do with his game.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
which comedian managed to get Brexit into this? Woodward for PM, I say (it will get rid of him from the United boardroom)

PhilMcD79

Is this really something that is being seriously considered. Imagine hoping a soon to be 38 year old will come and save the season. That's got to be a new low.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Another genuine question...

How would he fit into Ole's supposed 'pressing and running' counter-attacking philosophy?

Surely even the notion of spouting about pressing, running and work-rate and then employing a high paid, must start, CF who's almost 40 is basically comedy...?

And I ask this as someone who admires older players greatly.

204Red

Is he out of contract with the Galaxy at the end of the MLS season (I seem to recall he has been on a series of one year deals)? If he is then we wouldn't have to wait until the Jan window to sign him... and you can bet if we don't move for him, then someone else will.

I'm all in favor of signing him (or Vela for that matter) in a Larrson type situation. He can only help out our talent and play in some FA Cup matches.

Sterling Archer

Right now I would have him at United for sure, It could mean an extra 10 or 15 points over a season. Might even push us up to a 4th or 5th spot finish.
I would take him for an extra 5 or 6 points and to lose to fewer bottom of the table clubs!!

mccreadie207

Supports
Chelsea
The fact that this is even being discussed would concern me if I was a United supporter. The biggest club in Britain should be better than this.

The United

Helping out youngsters? Did he do that here a few years ago? Did he ever do it in his whole career?

People are confusing someone being a loudmouth and a troll (I love some of his) to being a leader.

He has never been a leader in any of his teams. At least not the one that we need right now.