5.0 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan_F

You honestly think all he did was pass the ball back where it came from? What were you watching the match on? A potato?
Of course he didn’t do that every time, I’m exaggerating. I’d be interested to see a compilation of his touches though. He’s technically decent, can lay the ball off well enough, but has offered zero goal threat so far.

kaku06

Good game from him. Linked play up well. He’s a better footballer than I expected.
I agree. Don’t understand the negativity. It’s like people expected him to be Ibra lite. He’s doing much better than I thought.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Of course he didn’t do that every time, I’m exaggerating. I’d be interested to see a compilation of his touches though. He’s technically decent, can lay the ball off well enough, but has offered zero goal threat so far.
Yeah he hasn’t looked a threat yet but he improved a lot between his first and second game. And tonight was never going to be a game for a new striker to fill his boots. I thought his link up play was very good. And we definitely press high up better with him in the team.

lsd

The Oracle

He has barely had any scoring chances to be fair to him. If he was missing chances I would be worried but we are not creating anything for him so I'm more worried about the other players

I love how United CF is now getting credit for something as unquantifiable and subjective as "movement off the ball". Not an assist, not a goal, but THAT! OK, you know what else helped? I was sending good vibes to our players from my coach, while watching the game on telly. WW's "movement" helped about as much as my positive vibes.
There is nothing subjective about making a run that drags defenders away. Today he drags Saliba away to make room for Rashford to shoot. On Wednesday he ran to the six yard box and drew three Palace defenders towards him allowing Bruno time to take a touch and shoot. If you don't understand that you don't understand much about football. Football isn't just about goals and assists, that's fantasy football you are thinking of.

Davie Moyes

There is nothing subjective about making a run that drags defenders away. Today he drags Saliba away to make room for Rashford to shoot. On Wednesday he ran to the six yard box and drew three Palace defenders towards him allowing Bruno time to take a touch and shoot. If you don't understand that you don't understand much about football. Football isn't just about goals and assists, that's fantasy football you are thinking of.
The Cafe is not what it used to be I'm afraid. I used to love coming on here to read up on good, informed opinions from fellow fans. Now it's like you have to wade through at least 20 posts in any given thread to read at least one decent post.

Eddy_JukeZ

He had a solid game to be fair to him.

Ideally, we'd have someone much better than him up top though.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Not sure how he's meant to score goals tbh because we can't cross a football unless it's a set piece and he's not very quick so through balls aren't an option either.

Our wingers aren't really wingers either. Both only really want to cut inside and shoot.

Dan_F

Yeah he hasn’t looked a threat yet but he improved a lot between his first and second game. And tonight was never going to be a game for a new striker to fill his boots. I thought his link up play was very good. And we definitely press high up better with him in the team.
He has barely had any scoring chances to be fair to him. If he was missing chances I would be worried but we are not creating anything for him so I'm more worried about the other players
It’s still early, and I’ll need to remind myself he’s a back up. I’m probably judging him harsher than Ighalo, for example. I’m concerned if he becomes a starter though, I’d rather we went Garnacho left and Rashford through the middle. We don’t have to play with a target man.

The Purley King

He did perfectly well today.
Held it up brought people into play, pressed well.
Not sure what anyone else was expecting, he did fine.
Didn’t get a chance but we didn’t have too many.
Promising performance but that is all we are likely to get from him and that was always clear.

Lee565

It's not a flattering stat that since he started his first game our winning spell came to an end and then in his second game we ended our unbeaten streak, if your a superstitious person then he is hardly a good luck omen is he

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Need to put in more crosses if he's going to feature for us more regularly.

Oranges038

I love how United CF is now getting credit for something as unquantifiable and subjective as "movement off the ball". Not an assist, not a goal, but THAT! OK, you know what else helped? I was sending good vibes to our players from my coach, while watching the game on telly. WW's "movement" helped about as much as my positive vibes.
What he's done isn't anything special but it's just good intelligent movement that creates space for other players to take a shot or create a space for someone to take a chance. He's rightly getting praised for it.

Good intelligent movement is important in every area of the pitch, it's needed everywhere to create space and drag the opposition out ofshape. It's not just about making moves to where you can get the ball and shoot for yourself.

Matt851

Not sure how he's meant to score goals tbh because we can't cross a football unless it's a set piece and he's not very quick so through balls aren't an option either.

Our wingers aren't really wingers either. Both only really want to cut inside and shoot.
This, maybe dalot returning will help but his delivery isn't that great. Would be interested to see us pellistri can put in a half decent cross

el3mel

Agree completely. This signing just doesn't make sense. Can't even call it a stop gap. That's not a signing you do to give your team a boost midway through the season. This is a kind of a deal I will expect a midtable club to do and not Manchester freaking United.

The board fecked it up again.

Abraxas

Agree completely. This signing just doesn't make sense. Can't even call it a stop gap. That's not a signing you do to give your team a boost midway through the season. This is a kind of a deal I will expect a midtable club to do and not Manchester freaking United.

The board fecked it up again.
The board didn't feck anything up. It's mid season, the availability of options is probably not there, the board sanctioned a huge splurge in the summer. Take a peek at the finances.

It's a signing suggested by the manager as a short term option. It's quite clear it was his idea, albeit within very limited parameters because of the above.

Let's get a grip and keep the signing in perspective. Not everything is the boards fault, it's a process and we don't get every single thing we want straight away.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
The board didn't feck anything up. It's mid season, the availability of options is probably not there, the board sanctioned a huge splurge in the summer. Take a peek at the finances.

It's a signing suggested by the manager as a short term option. It's quite clear it was his idea, albeit within very limited parameters because of the above.

Let's get a grip and keep the signing in perspective. Not everything is the boards fault, it's a process and we don't get every single thing we want straight away.
Again this "options are not there in January" gaslighting. They are for other teams who have ambition (even for impoverished Liverpool that is up for sale). Our problem is that our board is garbage and they bankrupted our club. No need to make excuses for that bunch of jackasses.

NewGlory

Stretching defenders is the most basic thing any attacking player is expected to do. It's not the quality bar for United's center forward. To paraphrase your own words, if you don't understand that, you may be missing the difference between United and a mid-table struggler club like Everton.

Chief123

It's not a flattering stat that since he started his first game our winning spell came to an end and then in his second game we ended our unbeaten streak, if your a superstitious person then he is hardly a good luck omen is he
Ah yes, it’s not a good omen that our undefeated run came to an end in his second game. It’s got absolutely nothing to do with the fact we don’t play Arsenal every week who are currently flying at the top of the table having lost only one game all season and have had the 5th best start ever to a premier league season by any team. Defo Weghorst’s fault.

DrRodo

Honest worker, never posts
I still prefer strikers who shot at goal at least once a game

Chief123

He lost the ball many times due to poor technique, he was no threat whatsoever and did not contribute. If that was a good display, it can only mean you have not seen a good striker for some time
Ffs, of all the things you could have chose to criticise him for you choose the one thing he literally did well which was to not give the ball away and link play well. Under pressure from two of the most aggressive centre backs in the league, he did a great job of holding up the ball and allowing mainly Rashford to run off him. Losing the ball was the likes of Luke Shaw who gave the ball away 17 times in the game.

Abraxas

Again this "options are not there in January" gaslighting. They are for other teams who have ambition (even for impoverished Liverpool that is up for sale). Our problem is that our board is garbage and they bankrupted our club. No need to make excuses for that bunch of jackasses.
What is so good about what Liverpool have done? They've signed a bloke that has made no impact as a striker for decent money. If we did that we'd also be blaming the board for putting the wrong recruitment team in place so I don't know why we're casting admiring glances at that piece of business. That would be the knee jerk take just as we're now knee jerking about Weghorst.

At the end of the day we run off our revenue streams. There has to be some kind of prudent decision making around finances and there has to be the right choice made. It's not all about instant gratification in January and the pattern of our spending is clear - we can and do spend but we need to make better decisions as a club.

Chief123

Liverpool signing Gakpo in January isn’t a sign of ambition. It’s a sign of a team desperate to get a quick temporary fix to a major problem. The fact Gakpo and Nunez are looking pretty shite so far is not showing ambition but showing Woodward-Esque money blowing at poor recruitment.

Grunnn123

In 2 and half hours of Weghorst in the team, he had 1 ball on his head and was almost a goal against Cristal Palace. Where are the balls from Rashford, Antony, Shaw, Bruno, AWB? Wout needs service to get him in scoring position. Maybee the 2 games away and the lack of training together are a reason why it not payed off yet, but i think he will shut some of you up in the games to come. I think he played well today. I also think that if you trust Ten Hag, you give this man a chance.

lex talionis

I don't mind the punt taken on Weghorst but there's clearly nothing to get excited about with him. Did a decent job with holdup play but never got a sniff in the box.

Thom Merrilin

I think he's playing fairly well so far. He presses well and links the play well too. It will be interesting to see how his finishing is when we start creating more chances for him.

Long Time Red

He just never looks like scoring to me, it was the same at Burnley last year.

Can't fault his work rate though.

NewGlory

Liverpool signing Gakpo in January isn’t a sign of ambition. It’s a sign of a team desperate to get a quick temporary fix to a major problem. The fact Gakpo and Nunez are looking pretty shite so far is not showing ambition but showing Woodward-Esque money blowing at poor recruitment.
Nunez and Gakpo combined cost less than just Antony. And they are making more impact. Also they are playing in team that clearly has a lot of other issues You don't know how they could have played for EtH in our team that is doing well.

Also you are pretending that we didn't sign Nunez or Gakpo because we thought WW was a better footballer. No, we didn't sign them because Glazers didn't want to spend. Very different

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Looks like he would be a decent option off the bench, works hard and holds the ball well. He’s more talented than I expected but it’s a bit worrying if we’re going to be playing him from the start every week.

NK86

Nunez and Gakpo combined cost less than just Antony. And they are making more impact. Also they are playing in team that clearly has a lot of other issues You don't know how they could have played for EtH in our team that is doing well.

Also you are pretending that we didn't sign Nunez or Gakpo because we thought WW was a better footballer. No, we didn't sign them because Glazers didn't want to spend. Very different
1. Nunez and Gakpo combined cost more than Antony.
2. Have you even seen Gakpo play? If you consider that doing more than Antony, then Lord help you.

SAFMUTD

I think his mobility is a huge problem he's so slow that we can't count on him on the break.

I know he's only a stop gap but he shouldn't be starting games. He should be used as a sub when we are not winning and desperate for a goal so just throw some crosses into the box and hope for the best.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist

Saying gakpo is making more impact than Antony is a joke to be honest
Darwin alone cost the same as Antony, and it is extremely debatable if he is having more of an impact than Antony.

We didn't sign Gakpo because we have Rashford, Sancho and Garnacho in the position that Gakpo plays in. We didn't sign Darwin because we didn't want to spend 100m on him, thank feck some sense prevailed there.

NoPace

I think his mobility is a huge problem he's so slow that we can't count on him on the break.

I know he's only a stop gap but he shouldn't be starting games. He should be used as a sub when we are not winning and desperate for a goal so just throw some crosses into the box and hope for the best.
I think he can start some games where the other team is coming to Old Trafford to park the bus, but otherwise agree.

Frank Grimes

He never laid down a marker. He is the elder statesman yet he let saka get away murder. Give him a tough tackle outside the box, let him think does he want another one. Disappointed with that because he's being very good lately.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
He never laid down a marker. He is the elder statesman yet he let saka get away murder. Give him a tough tackle outside the box, let him think does he want another one. Disappointed with that because he's being very good lately.
Wrong thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.