5.0 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

stevoc

One has to question the wisdom of a manager that keeps giving this guy minutes at 10
To be honest it's worrying, when he was playing when we had loads of injuries and Martial was out you could overlook it. Every manager has his blind spots but to so stubbornly continue with a tactic that clearly doesn't work is baffling. Tonight he actually preferred WegHorst at no10 (a position he never played before joining United) over the likes of Sabitzer or Pellestri and keeping Bruno central.

Doracle

Weghorst coming on to play number 10 (again!) for United continues to be one of the most baffling things I’ve seen this season. He has no attributes to play that position at all.

I also don’t understand how someone as big as he is can lose every header. Surely some should just hit his head?

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
It's annoying because it's not exactly Rooney accomodating Ronaldo here.
It's not even scholes outside to accommodate veron :lol:
Criticizing ETH for that decision alone isn't shitting on his entire work this season. I still haven't found a massive ETH fanboi who could explain to me the reasoning behind such a decision

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Footballers with a big frame who can’t hold up the ball confuse me. You have Mo Salah and Saka who are so difficult to knock off the ball and then the likes of Wout who don’t know how to use their body at all. Same with Rashford - not the biggest but he’s so clumsy with back to goal.

kouroux

Footballers with a big frame who can’t hold up the ball confuse me. You have Mo Salah and Saka who are so difficult to knock off the ball and then the likes of Wout who don’t know how to use their body at all. Same with Rashford - not the biggest but he’s so clumsy with back to goal.
Footballers who are tall and can't dominate in the air are even more shocking to me.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Footballers who are tall and can't dominate in the air are even more shocking to me.
I understand that aerial ability may be somewhat more of a skill. Judging the flight, timing your run, timing your jump, the way you leap and then the connection (like striking a ball). But surely attackers should be able to train to hold off pressure ? I’ve never understood why Rashford who is fairly tall is so clumsy when a defender is on his back. Wout is bemusing - he’s a bloody giant and played are always nicking it off him with him going to floor or something.

And then I watch Saka and he’s impossible to get off the ball and always draws fouls with back to goal.

I guess it’s a bigger skill than I thought.

Dex_Utd

We must have absolute zero talent in the attacking positions in our youth team for Wout to keep getting sub appearances so easily.

kouroux

I understand that aerial ability may be somewhat more of a skill. Judging the flight, timing your run, timing your jump, the way you leap and then the connection (like striking a ball). But surely attackers should be able to train to hold off pressure ? I’ve never understood why Rashford who is fairly tall is so clumsy when a defender is on his back. Wout is bemusing - he’s a bloody giant and played are always nicking it off him with him going to floor or something.

And then I watch Saka and he’s impossible to get off the ball and always draws fouls with back to goal.

I guess it’s a bigger skill than I thought.
A skill for sure but given his height, it shouldn't take much to be truly dominating in the air.
Regarding being easily dispossessed, his high center of gravity doesn't help, it makes him more unstable on his legs. There is middle ground to have between strength and balance if you wanna be tough to move off the ball

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
The thing that surprises me the most is how he constantly loses almost all pf his aerial duels. He's the bigger guy for most of em, but is never in position to hit the ball.

This also pops into my head whenever our tiny winger Igor Paixao (1m67) scores another header or wins an aerial duel against Smalling in our European tie. Surely, being a tall striker for your entire career, you work on your positioning or something?

it also annoys me that the camera keeps panning to Wout at corners and commentators keep saying things like, "let's see if theycan capitalize on the length of Weghorst". No they fecking can't.

Still, it's not his fault he's playing for United... he should be working hard and punching defenders for a relegation level team.

Red4Ever

Cork; home of Cantwell, Irwin, Keane and Vidic-wel
As crap as he was he held it up nicely for Fred’s shot at the end & they luckily deflected it away
He also set up a sitter that malacia missed v Seville at home
It’s fine margins we obviously will upgrade him soon we are short options but I’d prefer pellistri to get more mins

Bondi77

Manchester United squad minutes per goal this season:

1. Rashford 131
2. Martial 157
3. Garnacho 266
4. Sabitzer 309
5. Sancho 319
6. Fred 333
7. Antony 343
8. Bruno 445
9. Mctominay 550
10. Casemiro 641
11. Weghorst 768
12. Eriksen 1302

The only players in the squad with a worse MPG ratio than him are Eriksen, Shaw, Dalot and Martinez. 25 games played and 2 rebounds against Betis and Forest. Abysmal.
I imagine Felix over at Chelsea would have similar stats and he is costing a fortune :lol: :lol:

stevoc

We must have absolute zero talent in the attacking positions in our youth team for Wout to keep getting sub appearances so easily.
When he's preferred to the likes of Sabitzer and Pellestri it's got nothing to do with the youth teams lack of talent. ETH just prefers Wout, for some reason.

MadMike

He came on at #10 ahead of Sabitzer. I'm at a complete loss.

ETH's continued persistence with him severely undermines my faith in his managing ability.

kouroux

When he's preferred to the likes of Sabitzer and Pellestri it's got nothing to do with the youth teams lack of talent. ETH just prefers Wout, for some reason.
It's that simple yes. Criticizing his introduction is seen as almost an attack on ETH which I find illogical. They say we needed "more control", how tf is Wout supposed to improve that ? ETH can make a decision based behind a purpose, it doesn't necessarily mean that there weren't other solutions

stevoc

It's that simple yes. Criticizing his introduction is seen as almost an attack on ETH which I find illogical. They say we needed "more control", how tf is Wout supposed to improve that ? ETH can make a decision based behind a purpose, it doesn't necessarily mean that there weren't other solutions
He doesn't at all, the opposite in fact. Losing Eriksen and Fernandes in the centre is what cost us the points yesterday.

People can have their own opinion on top 5 worst. But for my money of all the players that I've seen play more than 15-20 games for us, he's the worst based on his United performances.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
it also annoys me that the camera keeps panning to Wout at corners and commentators keep saying things like, "let's see if theycan capitalize on the length of Weghorst". No they fecking can't.
They say that every time he comes on as a sub. Do commentators not pay any attention or do they just enjoy spouting off cliches?

Valencia Shin Crosses

The only time he should ever be subbed on is for pure energy at the very end of a game for 5 minutes or so. Then he can do his wrecking ball act. But for 35 fecking minutes when we already were in a bit of an end to end game, it was fecking idiotic.

And somehow people here STILL love this shitter

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
They say that every time he comes on as a sub. Do commentators not pay any attention or do they just enjoy spouting off cliches?
Dutch commentators say it too. Though I suppose we have the excuse that he scored that header at the world cup.

kouroux

The only time he should ever be subbed on is for pure energy at the very end of a game for 5 minutes or so. Then he can do his wrecking ball act. But for 35 fecking minutes when we already were in a bit of an end to end game, it was fecking idiotic.

And somehow people here STILL love this shitter
Or we're comfortably cruising by 3 or 4 goals (which sadly never happens)

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
I imagine Felix over at Chelsea would have similar stats and he is costing a fortune :lol: :lol:
Felix was never a good fit for us. He is just another Kai Havertz. I said this long before we even signed the guy. He would have been more successful with you lot.

It’s interesting that this comparison with him keeps arising though. Perhaps you want to delude yourself into thinking you got away with one. You literally paid for a Championship player who has no chemistry with the way your side plays and isn’t remotely in the right conditions to succeed.

It’s regularly been stated it’s like playing with 10 men. So you basically shopped in the Aldis basic range and left with nothing when you thought you were picking out a Crouch. You paid for oxygen. I don’t see how you are in any position to laugh, Kompany is laughing at you.. again.

Felix would have been overpriced for sure but he would have been a better investment for a 10 if that’s where you keep insisting on player the Aldi Peter Crouch at. At the very least he is at the required technical level for United and would already have had an on field relationship with Bruno.

If you want to keep penny pinching at ALDIs suit yourself but I don’t see how that’s a viable and profitable long term strategy for a club your size. You aren’t Wigan. A club your size needs real investment to keep up with your fraudster neighbours.

Abraxas

If we knew Wout was going to operate as a 10 a high percentage of the time, Felix would have been 10000x better. He would have been in any position but especially as a 10. But I don't think that was ever on the cards financially.

It really is quite weird. But many managers have these blind spots with certain players. But there isn't a tremendous pool of attacking talent from the bench. It's only really Pellistri that isn't getting much action, he seems underutilised but maybe something else is happening in training with him.

I'll only be really worried by the manager if he keeps big Wout. That would be truly shocking.

FerociousCorgis

Anybody who makes it to the top level of English football clearly has a lot of talent. Even fellaini would absolutely crush most of us who play footy in our free time in various rec leagues around the world. He'd look like prime Messi infused with divine powers.

Wout is the first player I've seen that I legitimately feel like I could do exactly what he does. Run around and lay the ball off 5 yards max to someone else.

Bondi77

Felix was never a good fit for us. He is just another Kai Havertz. I said this long before we even signed the guy. He would have been more successful with you lot.

It’s interesting that this comparison with him keeps arising though. Perhaps you want to delude yourself into thinking you got away with one. You literally paid for a Championship player who has no chemistry with the way your side plays and isn’t remotely in the right conditions to succeed.

It’s regularly been stated it’s like playing with 10 men. So you basically shopped in the Aldis basic range and left with nothing when you thought you were picking out a Crouch. You paid for oxygen. I don’t see how you are in any position to laugh, Kompany is laughing at you.. again.

Felix would have been overpriced for sure but he would have been a better investment for a 10 if that’s where you keep insisting on player the Aldi Peter Crouch at. At the very least he is at the required technical level for United and would already have had an on field relationship with Bruno.

If you want to keep penny pinching at ALDIs suit yourself but I don’t see how that’s a viable and profitable long term strategy for a club your size. You aren’t Wigan. A club your size needs real investment to keep up with your fraudster neighbours.
Sometimes you get a bargain at Aldi but at least if you don't it is not a big loss.
Spending millions at Harrods and continually buying duds is not good business and stinks of desperation.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

No shit mate. I'm not sure if you've been reading the news over the past few months but there's been this financial situation at United (something to do with the owners putting the club up for sale or something like that) which meant any significant funds were unlikely to be available to spend on transfers in January.

Idxomer

What the hell does he do, should've brought Maguire in to defend corners.

Pure cronyism from Ten Hag.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
I've already resigned myself to the fact that he's going to be signed permanently. He keeps getting brought on when we need a goal. Seems like ETH truly does rate him for some reason.

Sylar

He offers nothing to us. It's ridiculous that he's even being brought on. He can't keep the ball, he gives away stupid fouls and is slow to everything. Any goal threat does anytime he comes on. He's a passenger.

InfiniteBoredom

For all the famed physicality and pressing/workrate, actually piss poor in challenges, a drop of the shoulder from any Brighton player and they are away.

The less said about his ability with the ball the better.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
That he even have 1 touch today? Ten Hag could've signed any random tall forward who can actually head a ball instead of Wout.

Look at what Luuk de Jong did at Barca. Why didnt Erik sign Luuk de Jong instead. He' Dutch too, and he can actually head a ball (very well at that).

atkar83

Why do you guys assume we were chasing a goal? If that was the case Martial would have stayed on and Erickson would have come on. It was to defend the point and help pressure in midfield, neither of which Martial will help much with

United Hobbit

I am so freaking sick of the sight of him coming on when we are struggling

What has he actually done to justify being brought on to "help". He actually hinders more than helps

He's a fecking Burnley loanee - what justifies him getting minutes? If he actually made a difference when coming on, I wouldn't have a problem

He's causing me a massive question about ETH, who I generally think is great. He's got a huge blind spot with regards to him, and I don't get why. It's becoming ridiculous and could really feck us up

If he signs him permanently.... Hope Sheikh Jassim is successful he won't want players like this around and we will actually have money to buy proper back up

Superunknown

ETH deserves criticism for signing him, but he deserves even bigger criticism for continuing to play him when he adds nothing. He is a 'striker' who doesn't score goals. He's utterly useless and pointless. Such a bizarre situation we're in right now.

AndySmith1990

Over a billion spent in the past decade and here we are bringing on Wout fecking Weghorse to save us. feck off Woodward

spiriticon

There's literally no point to him being on the pitch.

We may as well play with 10 players, or maybe just put me on. I can run around a bit too, just don't pass me the ball.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
People in here acting like Martial wasn't absolutely garbage in the second half.

Bringing him on changed nothing. Obviously he's not good enough, but I mean, tonight it really didn't have a baring on much. Yet this will probably be one of the most active player threads.

He was on for like 8 minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.