5.0 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheLittleOne

Listen to what you're saying: "He's clearly trying" I mean jesus fecking christ that's what I'd say about a youth kid that's never played the sport before having a kick about with his friends, not a striker at one of the biggest clubs in the world. Stop normalizing "trying" as something to be proud of.
I’ve never heard a player getting so much praise in terms of “trying hard” “great lad” “honest bloke”

It’s fecking weird. The guy is pathetic at football. End of!
Are you guys sure you can read?

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
I’ve never heard a player getting so much praise in terms of “trying hard” “great lad” “honest bloke”

Bizarre indeed. What does "honest bloke" even mean in a footballing context? Are Haaland and Kane habitual liars?

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
An absolute nothing player. A void who fulfills the need of having a body on the field but one who has little to no impact on the goings on around him.

ti vu

Bizarre indeed. What does "honest bloke" even mean in a footballing context? Are Haaland and Kane habitual liars?
He is. He claimed a goal from Eriksen's cross, that Kane didn't connect few seasons back. Can't do that :wenger:

padzilla

Hipster
It's no coincidence our hopes of a title challenge collapsed once he started playing for us.
Now we are hanging on for fourth place.

Mike Smalling

Getting Weghorst in and playing him so much will be seen as one of the bigger mistakes by ETH this season.

Wilt

Getting Weghorst in and playing him so much will be seen as one of the bigger mistakes by ETH this season.
Yeah Weghorst has done ETH no favours, however, £86m Antony is Ten Hag‘s biggest mistake IMO

ScholesyTheWise

Indeed this expression is very weird, and might I add, very British in what it implies.
I don't know of any (major?) league where players are appreciated as squad players when all they could do is "put in a shift".
You'd think one needs to be brilliant at football in order to make it to the highest levels...

Lentwood

I’ve said it for months, it’s pathetic how we’ll liked he is here just because of some fake passion shite that our fans lap up while he actively hinders the team.

Our fan base wonders why we’ve slowly fell off in relevance in terms of the top teams but the tolerance for players like Weghorst just because they try hard instead of actually producing anything of quality is a great microcosm of the greater issue.
I generally get on board with the idea that as long as a player is trying, its unfair for the crowd to turn on them. My logic is that giving them a hard time isnt going to help anything.

However, as you say, Weghorst represents a decade of gross mismanagement. For a club of our stature, with our resouces, to have gone into a season with a 38yo as the main CF and a lad we have tried to shift for two seasons is criminal. To then bring in a player on loan from Burnley is just mind-blowing.

Its not personal for me. I am sure Weghorst is a good, honest pro...but he shouldnt be at the club. I do wonder...if the crowd at OT had turned on some of these players over the years, not as a personal attack but as a message to the Board, would we be in a better position now? I think the answer is "probably".

Real morale dilemma. I dont agree with getting at our own players...but the Board need to understand, this is unacceptable. If we had reacted to Ighalo and Cavani this way instead of championing them as heroes, we'd have a proper CF now for sure.

DavelinaJolie

Looked leggy, and came into a game where most of the action appeared to be happening in the Utd half. Ran at their Goalkeeper a bit.

Not much to say is there? Just not it.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I have no idea but I’ve always thought it’s a nice way of saying “he’s shit but likeable”

RedStarUnited

Looked leggy, and came into a game where most of the action appeared to be happening in the Utd half. Ran at their Goalkeeper a bit.

Not much to say is there? Just not it.
Could be said about any game.

Him and Antony worry me about ETH in the long run. Say what you want about Citys money, when Pep didnt get Kane he played most of the season without a real striker. Thats a manager who would rather trust his ability to manage than get a cheap player who wont add anything.

ti vu

Could be said about any game.

Him and Antony worry me about ETH in the long run. Say what you want about Citys money, when Pep didnt get Kane he played most of the season without a real striker. Thats a manager who would rather trust his ability to manage than get a cheap player who wont add anything.
That's not true. G.Jesus still played quite a lot. He's still a striker despite Pep can weirdly moved him out on the wing and had Sterling or Gundogan in the central position. Pep and his team was in the position of power to be able to this off.

The issue is definitely involved the money as well as ETH scope of transfer target. If given the choice, I don't think he would pick Weghorst over Gakpo for example. Whether Gakpo worth buying for long term is another dicusssion.

redshaw

We shouldn't sign him. He had a few good games early on where he linked up well and pressed but this has fizzled out and he's just a player in slow motion out there sadly. I'll be glad if he can help us in anyway possible in the remainder of games but we can't depend on him as a backup next season.

Woziak

That's not true. G.Jesus still played quite a lot. He's still a striker despite Pep can weirdly moved him out on the wing and had Sterling or Gundogan in the central position. Pep and his team was in the position of power to be able to this off.

The issue is definitely involved the money as well as ETH scope of transfer target. If given the choice, I don't think he would pick Weghorst over Gakpo for example. Whether Gakpo worth buying for long term is another dicusssion.
We’ll Gatkpo has 6 PL goals and 2 Assists in a poor liverpool side from 17 PL games that’s nearly 1:2 goal involvements, Weghorst is probably 1 in 16 you do the math?

Cloud7

It’s wild that he is so bad that there is legitimate belief (including myself) that McTominay would at the very least not do a worse job up top than him.

Fabio Rochemback

No shit Sherlock, you don’t need to be rocket scientist to work that out, a 6’7 striker that can’t head the ball.
We extended Jones' deal a couple years ago, I wouldn't take anything as a given

Last edited:

Valencia Shin Crosses

I generally get on board with the idea that as long as a player is trying, its unfair for the crowd to turn on them. My logic is that giving them a hard time isnt going to help anything.

However, as you say, Weghorst represents a decade of gross mismanagement. For a club of our stature, with our resouces, to have gone into a season with a 38yo as the main CF and a lad we have tried to shift for two seasons is criminal. To then bring in a player on loan from Burnley is just mind-blowing.

Its not personal for me. I am sure Weghorst is a good, honest pro...but he shouldnt be at the club. I do wonder...if the crowd at OT had turned on some of these players over the years, not as a personal attack but as a message to the Board, would we be in a better position now? I think the answer is "probably".

Real morale dilemma. I dont agree with getting at our own players...but the Board need to understand, this is unacceptable. If we had reacted to Ighalo and Cavani this way instead of championing them as heroes, we'd have a proper CF now for sure.
Cavani got songs sung about him for a half season of great play when we didn't even win anything in the end. I never liked that either. I think we are too quick to romanticize players and that's dangerous to do if you want to be any more than a club full of past glories and some nice moments.

I understand our fans (especially on match day) wanting to fully support every player and encourage them, but it's turned into this mantra of essentially praising every player for just managing to get onto the pitch at our club. Support players like Rashford or similar when they are going through a bad run of form by all means, as these have shown they have the required level for us and have come up in big moments before. But giving 100% support to players that have never achieved anything for us and have shown nothing but a crap level that doesn't deserve to play at Old Trafford is a mentality that sees us second best against many bigger clubs. People wonder why we haven't hardly dominated a big match against a good team in the last decade but are also willing to put up with mediocrity and lack of quality simply because a player kisses the badge once.

ti vu

We’ll Gatkpo has 6 PL goals and 2 Assists in a poor liverpool side from 17 PL games that’s nearly 1:2 goal involvements, Weghorst is probably 1 in 16 you do the math?
Did you miss "given the choice" part?

We don't have the money. If we have the money, especially last summer, Isak was a good pick, and there is no issue with long term planning. Isak is a proper CF by trade. In comparison, Gakpo still doesn't look a proper CF. He's playing on the edge of good form/bad form to be productive/unproductive. That may be an injury away. Someone like Isak despite his injury, his goal involvement record is more impressive. And his CF quality is visibly comprehensible.

So spending for 45mil hopeful CF vs 75mil proper CF, what does math say?

The point being, you don't rely on ETH to find your transfer target. It's reasonably simple to see that his scope of transfer targets is small.

United Hobbit

I've just seen a comment elsewhere

"I think we should stick with WW. Build a team around him....his work rate is beyond exceptional"

Dear God....

I don't get why people have such a love for a well below standard Burnley loanee, who should in no capacity get game time for us unless we are 4-0 up, just because he works hard and shows passion

That should be the absolute BARE MINIMUM of a professional footballer. If that's the only thing that's seen as suitable for Manchester United, they could probably dish some contracts out on here and people would do that.

We should be targeting trophies and titles. Expectations have dropped so low, unfortunately I still have a nasty feeling ETH will want to sign him permanently, because of his obsession to play him. This is where it'll show if our new structure above ETH is worthwhile as anyone can see it should be blocked if he does. If they allow it....

I strongly dislike the guy, I know it's not his fault he's not good enough but I can't help it. ETH needs to not play him and if he does like him as a person, he's actually doing him more harm than good at this point

United Hobbit

You'll love the comment I've just posted from someone on another source above. Apparently because his work rate is "exceptional" we should build a fecking team around him

Have some standards FFS, we are Manchester United not some championship club

lex talionis

The man works hard, but how did he reach this level football club without being at the required level as a footballer?

TheLittleOne

I've just seen a comment elsewhere

"I think we should stick with WW. Build a team around him....his work rate is beyond exceptional"

Dear God....

I don't get why people have such a love for a well below standard Burnley loanee, who should in no capacity get game time for us unless we are 4-0 up, just because he works hard and shows passion

That should be the absolute BARE MINIMUM of a professional footballer. If that's the only thing that's seen as suitable for Manchester United, they could probably dish some contracts out on here and people would do that.

We should be targeting trophies and titles. Expectations have dropped so low, unfortunately I still have a nasty feeling ETH will want to sign him permanently, because of his obsession to play him. This is where it'll show if our new structure above ETH is worthwhile as anyone can see it should be blocked if he does. If they allow it....

I strongly dislike the guy, I know it's not his fault he's not good enough but I can't help it. ETH needs to not play him and if he does like him as a person, he's actually doing him more harm than good at this point
First off, I haven't read said comment, but I dont think that dude was actually serious. How could he be?
What many people miss, those who reactioned to my last comment included, is the following: Just because someone says Wout is an honest bloke who gives his all, which is 100% true, doesnt mean that person thinks he should be here or that he didnt play way too many minutes which could have gone to an other player.
I'm still adamant many other of our players could learn a thing or two from him when it comes to commitment.
That said, he has way too many weaknesses to be playing for United. He gets praised for being honest and hard working because it's the one thing he's outstanding at.

edcunited1878

It's no coincidence our hopes of a title challenge collapsed once he started playing for us.
Really? No Garnacho, no Eriksen, no Casemiro, having to play Maguire, Rashford has only scored a few league goals the past couple months due to injury and dropped off a little bit. United were never in the title discussion.

frostbite

I don't blame Wout. Wout is Wout, he is trying, and that's all he has to offer.

My question is why ETH is still using him? Okay, I understand we don't have any other strikers in the first team, but what about our Academy? We don't have a single under-21 striker that we can try for a few minutes?

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
It’s actually impressive to make such little impact given the minutes he’d had. Absolute joke of a player.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Amazes me that this guy scored so many goals in Germany. Before we bash the league, it surely shows he at least knows where the goal is and is capable of shooting. Never known a striker this incapable of striking a ball, it’s worse than Anderson and his shite shooting

edcunited1878

I don't blame Wout. Wout is Wout, he is trying, and that's all he has to offer.

My question is why ETH is still using him? Okay, I understand we don't have any other strikers in the first team, but what about our Academy? We don't have a single under-21 striker that we can try for a few minutes?
Nope, no viable youth CF that isn't suspended by the club until further notice. United have produced 2 forward line players in the past 8 years. One is the current 10 and the other was 11, but not really anymore.

ti vu

This description again... Is someone hooking the squad up to lie detector tests at Carrington?
:lol:

I believe the honest part in honest hard working man phrase used to mean a person having the correct moral compass on top of strong conviction to work toward a goal. This term often is used in a formal settings as a introduction of a person to others.

Nowadays, people seem to misuse the term, where "earnest" in "honest" place makes more sense.

Not much about normal life of footballers is that concerned for other people who never meet them in person. We can only judge their for the work on the pitch. Can't expect footballers to be honest telling the ref that his teammates just foul the opposition. So it's more about earnestly help the team even with the mean of dark art, shithousery, play acting...

Last edited:

frostbite

Nope, no viable youth CF that isn't suspended by the club until further notice. United have produced 2 forward line players in the past 8 years. One is the current 10 and the other was 11, but not really anymore.
But I am not asking about superstars that will play the position forever. I am asking about young players that can play 10-15 minutes per game, for the remaining games. They don't have to be great, they can be as bad as Wout.

For example, we have these two guys, I have never watched them, perhaps worth a try? Are they worse than Wout?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noam_Emeran
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Hugill

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
It is coincidence because that was never gonna happen, as shit as Wout is, we were never competing for the title. That's always been crazy talk

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Cavani got songs sung about him for a half season of great play when we didn't even win anything in the end. I never liked that either. I think we are too quick to romanticize players and that's dangerous to do if you want to be any more than a club full of past glories and some nice moments.

I understand our fans (especially on match day) wanting to fully support every player and encourage them, but it's turned into this mantra of essentially praising every player for just managing to get onto the pitch at our club. Support players like Rashford or similar when they are going through a bad run of form by all means, as these have shown they have the required level for us and have come up in big moments before. But giving 100% support to players that have never achieved anything for us and have shown nothing but a crap level that doesn't deserve to play at Old Trafford is a mentality that sees us second best against many bigger clubs. People wonder why we haven't hardly dominated a big match against a good team in the last decade but are also willing to put up with mediocrity and lack of quality simply because a player kisses the badge once.
You really think the fans being a bit over the top in supporting/celebrating him is what's played a part in United hardly dominating a big match against a big team ? I don't see the link personally

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.