Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
We have a post or two above still mentioning his ‘aerial threat’. I truly don’t know if they experienced optical illusions while watching football matches or are just so attached to him that they have to gaslight people into thinking Wout Weghorst has the superior aerial prowess to a skinny 10 year old.
Some posts on the caf really give an indication of who watches games and/or who understands football at a basic level.
The only good thing about Weghorst is his workrate but seeing he's too slow anyway, his closing down isn't really useful.
In all other important aspects of attack, he's depressingly bad.

SoCross

To be fair, he did win one or two more headers against Brighton from De Gea’s long kicks than Martial. Which isn’t saying much, but that did help.

But 100% agreed, for a man of his height, he’s remarkably poor in the air. Definitely a Peter Crouch regen.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
A little bit of shithousery, a nice penalty, and a passionate celebration were all it took for a bunch of posters to forget how incredibly shit he's been and to call for him to be signed permanently. :houllier:

VivaObertan

Transfer Voyeur
A little bit of shithousery, a nice penalty, and a passionate celebration were all it took for a bunch of posters to forget how incredibly shit he's been and to call for him to be signed permanently. :houllier:
He actually made a difference when he came on - won some headers, chased down a lost cause and won a corner, scored his penalty, shithoused. What's not to love?!

Third choice striker next season please. (Assuming we bring in a starting CF and Martial's spot as #2 is taken by an upcoming youngster.)

peridigm

Some posts on the caf really give an indication of who watches games and/or who understands football at a basic level.
The only good thing about Weghorst is his workrate but seeing he's too slow anyway, his closing down isn't really useful.
In all other important aspects of attack, he's depressingly bad.
It's like Juan Mata and Harry Maguire had a child. One contributed height and football abilities and the other speed.

stevoc

I think a lot of what people are saying here, at a very basic level is mostly correct. However, extremely over exaggerated. As a backup squad player, which is what he's hopefully happy to be, I'd have absolutely no problem signing him on a 2 year contract. He's intelligent, good at linking up play and using his off the ball movement to bring others into play. His finishing has been wayward, but I think that there has been a slight element of bad luck in some games.

Playing standards matter, but so do professional standards. Driving your teammates forward with your attitude during training, these type of bit part players are very important.

Now, of course if we signed Harry Kane, and Evan Ferguson, keeping him would be a charity case.

We won't get better for less. Thuram on a free maybe, but he's nowhere near as good at holding up the ball and would more be a cheaper replacement to Martial, with his dribbling skills and more flair based play.
Jesus Thuram must be atrocious at it then because Weghorst is fecking woeful at holding the ball up.

Dominant

He actually made a difference when he came on - won some headers, chased down a lost cause and won a corner, scored his penalty, shithoused. What's not to love?!

Third choice striker next season please. (Assuming we bring in a starting CF and Martial's spot as #2 is taken by an upcoming youngster.)
wow. perhaps you should support Burnley or Forest since your standards are so remarkable low.

stevoc

Thuram isn't a world beater but he is so much better at the basics Wout regularly fails at.
Haven't seen much of him but I'd believe it mate.

But I'm just being sarcastic as I'm pretty surprised that some still think Weghorst is good at holding the ball up.

kouroux

Haven't seen much of him but I'd believe it mate.

But I'm just being sarcastic as I'm pretty surprised that some still think Weghorst is good at holding the ball up.
We really need proper stats regarding players doing well in the BL, when they play in other leagues, their performances

hobbers

Some people just parrot soundbites when they talk about players.

'Oh he might miss chances but he's got a good work rate (so I've been told), strong in the air (read: has height), does hold up play (whatever that is).

Nobody who understands the first thing about football would want Wout anywhere near our club next season.

el3mel

I can't believe there're actual people here who want to sign this guy ? I swear some here are addicted to mediocrity or something.

VivaObertan

Transfer Voyeur
It is utterly bizarre you think we should sign Weghorst though.

He's got absolutely nothing except he tries his hardest. Is that really enough to play for Utd for you?
If you gave me two options;

a.) New main striker, new 2nd striker, Weghorst
b.) New striker, Martial, youth striker

I'd take the former every single time.

If we have unlimited funds, I take Osimhen and Mbappe because why not.

ti vu

You don't half contradict yourself, do you?

To have this option of New main striker, new 2nd striker, Weghorst: we may have to:

1. Paying off Martial simply because nobody would pay us any meaningful amount with his fitness record and wage
2. Buying Weghorst. He has two year contract with a PL club.
3. Buying new 2nd striker
4. Buying New main striker

If we have that much money to spend, that's not far off from chasing Osimhen and Mbappe.

VivaObertan

Transfer Voyeur
You don't half contradict yourself, do you?

To have this option of New main striker, new 2nd striker, Weghorst: we may have to:

1. Paying off Martial simply because nobody would pay us any meaningful amount with his fitness record and wage
2. Buying Weghorst. He has two year contract with a PL club.
3. Buying new 2nd striker
4. Buying New main striker

If we have that much money to spend, that's not far off from chasing Osimhen and Mbappe.
Not sure why that's relevant - I said that of the 2, I'd prefer to have Weghorst as a 3rd than Martial as a 2nd. Conversely. it's also possible that another club takes a chance on Martial and that Kompany doesn't fancy Weghorst so lets him go for peanuts... not that it matters, because this is all hypothetical.

My original comment was that I felt Weghorst contributed positively on Sunday and that I wouldn't mind if he were our 3rd choice striker.

kouroux

You gave yourself a scenario in which choosing to keep Wout is easy :lol:

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
Imagine he scores the winner in the final. He might spontaneously combust on the spot.
That would be the best thing I can imagine, slaphead McCokefiend being denied a treble by the love child of Mr Ed and Ironside, who also happens to play for us and be a really likable bloke....... I think I would cry tears of joy.

lex talionis

After a bright start, Wout has fallen off a cliff. But he's having the time of his life and won't soon be forgotten even after only a brief spell at OT. No complaints.

stevoc

I hope one day Ten Hag explains exactly what he sees or think he sees from playing Weghorst at no10.

Naturally you think it's to hit it long and beat the press. But he's shite in the air and can't hold the ball up.

I'm genuinely baffled why we keep moving Fernandes (or anyone) wide to accommodate such a painfully limited player.

Sylar

Him being at united is an issue. If he wasn't we might see pellestri subbed on and Bruno kept at 10 rather than being put out wide

Or sabitzer who has shown he can score goals. It's a pointless sub because as soon as he comes on, we don't look like scoring and have to basically hold onto what we have or else

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Did okay today. Doesnt really help him that Bruno and Rashford rather swallow broken glass than pass him the ball.

United Hobbit

His obsession with Wout is a very strange hill for ETH to have picked to die on

It gets me every time the commentators insist on saying we have height coming on to help in the box when he comes on

Er have you seen him trying to head the ball?!

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
It was hilarious when we was coming on, hearing the commentators discuss how his introduction would add another dimension to our attack with his aerial threat.

These people are paid to watch and discuss football and they come out with this nonsense. Pure ignorance.

dcrompton

He’s never going to score a premier league goal for us is he!

Only thing I remember is him calling for the ball with both arms outstretched and Bruno looks up, sees who it is a decides against passing. Not sure if I can remember another United player so obviously ignored by team mates.

Status
Not open for further replies.