5.0 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

stevoc

Rashford already on for Sancho before Martial got off injured.

I am not sticking my head to defend Weghorst here (I can be unpopular to be critical of his supposed good performance like away to Barcelona). What I see here is chasing 2 goals is the type of desperation Netherland faced against Argentina. Someone like Weghorst maybe more useful with the right kind of set piece than you can expect from Elanga or Pellistri? Both Pellistri and Elanga didn't cover themselves in glory last week to outright putting themselves as an useful options.
Yes I know but considering he's only recently back from a long term injury it was always a distinct possibility that Martial wouldn't finish the game. My point was if you want to bring Sancho off for Rashford but then Martial has to come off 5 minutes later fine. Bring Pellestri on, bring Elanga on, being Fred on, bring on anyone other than a guy who's so ineffective in his position that you have to shift half the team around after 5 minutes to try and negate his ineffectiveness.

If Weghorst is useful at set pieces he's been doing an amazing job of hiding it since he joined.

Last edited:

stevoc

Brace yourself because with Martial looking like he's injured again, the great WW will slot right back to starting every game.
Yep for some inexplicable reason that's probably what Ten Hag will do.

United Hobbit

The way the commentators kept saying about him posing a threat, no he doesn't! It's got to the point where there's no point him being on the pitch

But guess what Martial has lasted about 1 game so we are stuck having to watch him again, although I'd rather go with a false 9 or stuck Rashy up front

He has all the strength of a wet tissue. Sadly Martial seems to be made of wet tissue so we are stuck with having to use him

It really worries me about the youth players that this waste of space loan player is getting minutes ahead of them. Surely there's a striker in the youth who could at least you know, strike the damn ball

JuriM

The way the commentators kept saying about him posing a threat, no he doesn't! It's got to the point where there's no point him being on the pitch

But guess what Martial has lasted about 1 game so we are stuck having to watch him again, although I'd rather go with a false 9 or stuck Rashy up front

He has all the strength of a wet tissue. Sadly Martial seems to be made of wet tissue so we are stuck with having to use him

It really worries me about the youth players that this waste of space loan player is getting minutes ahead of them. Surely there's a striker in the youth who could at least you know, strike the damn ball
Garnacho & Kobe Mainoo were brought up from youth because they were seen ready enough - we don't have a single striker in the youth who has shown anything to be ready yet and Wout was only answer.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Weghorst didn’t play for us when all that happened though. Weghorst was our response to all that happening.
Again... It was an experienced player in as a punt because he works hard to help our pressing. I don't see the use in really losing your shit over trying to sign somebody like him, yes weghorst shouldn't have been an option but we were in desperation mode and were picking from garbage options anyway. So we tried one of them. Whatever. He helped some, was frustrating and shit in others. He gave us a body while Antony was injured, Sancho was missing, martial was perma injured, Garnacho is 18, and we were able to play Rashford in his best position. We shouldn't be in this situation, but we are, and it's not the end of the world to try and sign a target man short term on loan.

jackal&hyde

He is not good enough. The ability to fallow instructions and press is enough for a relegation team. People that wanted him to sign a full time contract forget a striker need to also score goals for a top club.

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
I initially had a liking to him just because he's a hard worker, but dear me he's so painfully limited.

It's not even a stylistic mismatch, he just doesn't have any ability. There are forwards in the Championship who'd score a lot more goals than him. 2 goals while starting every game for a top 4 team upfront is joke numbers.

Eric_the_Red99

It’s just astonishing how someone this tall can be so bad at getting his head on the ball, especially in the box. It’s not just that he can’t win aerial duels - he’s never even involved in them in the first place, because it’s like he repels crosses, always being in the wrong place.

Compare this part of his game to Casemiro, who regularly wins headers and has scored a couple of goals that way, despite being five inches shorter than WW. You can see whenever a corner or free kick comes in Casemiro has his eyes locked on the ball, anticipating where it’s going to be, and timing his leap to beat taller defenders - WW does none of those things.

cpresc

For personality, humility and passion he scores 10

For work rate he scores about a 7 (IMO this is often over rated by people here)

For everything else, literally everything, he scores a 1.

Fabio Rochemback

I don't think there is, unfortunately. McNeill is, as I understand it, the best striker at youth level and he's currently on loan in League 2 and has 2 goals in 16 games,

MegadrivePerson

I called it at the time that we should have just signed Cody Gakpo in January.

Weghorst is so far lacking in quality it beggars belief. It's no suprise either, he's a Burnley player that was loaned out to the Turkish league!

I'd love to see the flawed logic that anybody had at the club that thought he'd be able to do a job at this level!

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Again... It was an experienced player in as a punt because he works hard to help our pressing. I don't see the use in really losing your shit over trying to sign somebody like him, yes weghorst shouldn't have been an option but we were in desperation mode and were picking from garbage options anyway. So we tried one of them. Whatever. He helped some, was frustrating and shit in others. He gave us a body while Antony was injured, Sancho was missing, martial was perma injured, Garnacho is 18, and we were able to play Rashford in his best position. We shouldn't be in this situation, but we are, and it's not the end of the world to try and sign a target man short term on loan.
And again… with £3m to spend on a 6 month loan, sign someone better. That’s all. It’s not the ‘no money’ people want to make it out to be. My issue is that nobody wants to accept the failing of Ten Hag clearly WANTING to sign Wout Weghorst for some reason. Obviously, he would have preferred Kane, as would I. That said, if I was presented with the reality of needing a 6 month stop gap, never in a million years would Weghorst have featured in my thinking.

I don’t need people to spell out the circumstances of why we needed cover. I am well aware of them. I am choosing to focus on the terrible decision the manager made in light of those circumstances, rather than simply absolve him of them because of the circumstances, which many seem to want to do as they like Ten Hag and have not her reached the stage where they can hold him accountable for something without having to add an asterisk to it. If he decided to play De Gea up front in January, then he would deserve criticism for such a stupid decision, not the constant pointing out that it wouldn’t have happened if Martial wasn’t injured.

stevoc

And again… with £3m to spend on a 6 month loan, sign someone better. That’s all. It’s not the ‘no money’ people want to make it out to be. My issue is that nobody wants to accept the failing of Ten Hag clearly WANTING to sign Wout Weghorst for some reason. Obviously, he would have preferred Kane, as would I. That said, if I was presented with the reality of needing a 6 month stop gap, never in a million years would Weghorst have featured in my thinking.

I don’t need people to spell out the circumstances of why we needed cover. I am well aware of them. I am choosing to focus on the terrible decision the manager made in light of those circumstances, rather than simply absolve him of them because of the circumstances, which many seem to want to do as they like Ten Hag and have not her reached the stage where they can hold him accountable for something without having to add an asterisk to it. If he decided to play De Gea up front in January, then he would deserve criticism for such a stupid decision, not the constant pointing out that it wouldn’t have happened if Martial wasn’t injured.
Yep and it's no doubt part of the reason he keeps insisting on involving him in games in the hope that he does something positive that could justify his signing. Ten Hag's signings have been largely great but the signing of Weghorst is a stark reminder that no manager should have 100% control over transfers.

ti vu

Weghorst is so far lacking in quality it beggars belief. It's no suprise either, he's a Burnley player that was loaned out to the Turkish league!

I'd love to see the flawed logic that anybody had at the club that thought he'd be able to do a job at this level!
We don't have that kind of money. Even if we do, we should have looked for better option rather trade for a someone who mostly score and assist for Liverpool in games where opposition is open at the back. He's not even a proper CF. It's another question mark if we just go out and sign Gakpo, another player ETH is familiar with from Dutch league, than using our scouting system when we spend a sizable fee.

Josh 76

For personality, humility and passion he scores 10

For work rate he scores about a 7 (IMO this is often over rated by people here)

For everything else, literally everything, he scores a 1.
I’ve got mates who are great laugh in the pub, graft hard at their jobs and do everything else okay.

I would rate them,

Personalities 10
Work Ethic 10
Everything else 2

Let’s sign them!

Crimson King

I think that's who we did want to sign (also in the summer, but CR hadn't accepted his time in Europe was up) but the manager was told he couldn't spend any money.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I knew Wout was no world beater, but feck me, he can do better than the shite he's showing at the moment. Sincerely hope he doesnt read the caf :lol:
Feels like his passion is gone. I wonder what happened.

The United

There are scouts whose job is that, there are pro who work on those things. If the end result of their research is Wout fecking Weghorst then fire the whole department.
Maybe I'm obtuse but no one is gonna make me swallow that it was Wout or nothing. That's impossible to me.
You've got to ask the judgment of whoever made that loan possible as well. That includes ETH. I am aware that the club's lack of money played a huge part in this, but I have said that if Wout was chosen even from some limited options, I was concerned with ETH's judgment. His other option was the Liverpool guy, whom we laughed at. Every manager has a blind spot, and I hope his won't be with strikers because that would stink, as the club itself was bad in that area before he arrived.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
He knows he’s not being kept. Guy is just running around fouling people now.
Well. He still has something to fight for, which is his own career. A decent show at United might peak interest of some lower clubs that need "experience at top level".

I mean, at this stage of his career, where else he'll get this kind of chance?

InfiniteBoredom

Well. He still has something to fight for, which is his own career. A decent show at United might peak interest of some lower clubs that need "experience at top level".

I mean, at this stage of his career, where else he'll get this kind of chance?
There’s always the Turkish league, or MLS, or the Saudi league.

Let’s face it, what happened to him the last few months has been beyond his wildest dreams, and he will have plenty of way to monetize off having Man Utd CF on his CV.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
There’s always the Turkish league, or MLS, or the Saudi league.

Let’s face it, what happened to him the last few months has been beyond his wildest dreams, and he will have plenty of way to monetize off having Man Utd CF on his CV.
Imagine all the motivational speeches and keynote addresses at fancy dinners he'll be able to get paid for in retirement with the "former Manchester United striker" title.

Brighton 0:0 Man Utd

Zoo

He psyched out Solly March there brilliantly kissing the ball and giving it to himself rather than allowing Robert Sanchez to do so like with every previous pen. Well done Wout! Obviously knew that De Gea is useless in penalty shootouts and took action.

Status
Not open for further replies.