Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
We all know his level he’s a player on loan from Burnley ffs it shouldn’t be a surprise

If others weren’t getting injured every 20 minutes he probably wouldn’t get a sniff
Players get injured. Manchester United are supposed to have a better player than Wout fecking Weghorst to play if someone is injured.

stevoc

He's out of his depth. Nothing new. I don't think it's fair to hate him now that ETH even realized his limited use and utilized him only as much. He's thrown out there when there no other options. Can't be help when Rashford is not fully fit, or Martial can't stay fit, Garnacho still out; and we used all the midfielders with Bruno suspended, McTominay injured.

I am pissed with the Glazers right now. Squad is awful state that we have no options but to play players that is well known can hinder than help. You name it Maguire, Weghorst, Elanga...
We had other options. We had Rashford, Fred, Elanga and Pellestri on the bench. Rashford could have came on for Martial and leave Sancho on. Elanga and Pellestri can play on the wings if you want to take Sancho or Antony off, Eriksen and Sabitzer can both play as a no10 if Fred came on.

But once again we brought on Wout for reasons only Ten Hag understands and then ended up shifting everyone around and moving Eriksen left, Rashford up front and Weghorst to no10 after 10 minutes because Ten Hag remembered Weghorsts about as much of a goal threat as DeGea. Weghorst really shouldn't play again this season beyond a few minutes at the end of games we're winning to waste time subbing him on.

Eddy_JukeZ

I worry about ETH going forward when he deliberately sought to bring him in during the transfer window.

I mean, what was he thinking honestly?

ti vu

We had other options. We had Rashford, Fred, Elanga and Pellestri on the bench. Rashford could have came on for Martial and leave Sancho on. Elanga and Pellestri can play on the wings if you want to take Sancho or Antony off, Eriksen and Sabitzer can both play as a no10 if Fred came on.

But once again we brought on Wout for reasons only Ten Hag understands and then ended up shifting everyone around and moving Eriksen left, Rashford up front and Weghorst to no10 after 10 minutes because Ten Hag remembered Weghorsts about as much of a goal threat as DeGea. Weghorst really shouldn't play again this season beyond a few minutes at the end of games we're winning to waste time subbing him on.
Rashford already on for Sancho before Martial got off injured.

I am not sticking my head to defend Weghorst here (I can be unpopular to be critical of his supposed good performance like away to Barcelona). What I see here is chasing 2 goals is the type of desperation Netherland faced against Argentina. Someone like Weghorst maybe more useful with the right kind of set piece than you can expect from Elanga or Pellistri? Both Pellistri and Elanga didn't cover themselves in glory last week to outright putting themselves as an useful options.

Last edited:

The United

It looks like we will have him at No. 10 with Rashford playing ahead and Bruno playing on the wing until the end of the season (assuming Martial is not coming back)?

ti vu

It looks like we will have him at No. 10 with Rashford playing ahead and Bruno playing on the wing until the end of the season (assuming Martial is not coming back)?
Just keep playing Sancho, Eriksen, even Dalot on left wing. Bruno either no8 next to Casemiro or back at no 10. Weghorst shouldn't start.

Jericho

I like his effort, but we're so blunt up top when he plays. Like taking a spoon to a knife fight.

Seij

Brace yourself because with Martial looking like he's injured again, the great WW will slot right back to starting every game.

I worry about ETH going forward when he deliberately sought to bring him in during the transfer window.

Well, reportedly he wanted Gakpo as his first choice, which was vetoed by the board saying we don't have money to spend on a transfer. Then he wanted Felix, which was also vetoed by the board saying his loan fee is too much. The board told him "only cheap loan deals" so ETH looked around and found a cheap Dutch player who was desperate for a chance.

Last edited:

Castia

It’s not like he had an open chequebook and Weg was his number one pick we had funds for a cheap loan.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist

Weghorst did alright as a target man in the world Cup, we were desperate with no money and needed a body .. about it. Worth a try, no options, didn't pan out.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Players get injured. Manchester United are supposed to have a better player than Wout fecking Weghorst to play if someone is injured.
TBF we would've but over the past 1.5 years, one of them decided to do things that caused him to be canceled as a footballer and the other went crying to Piers Morgan because he wasn't seen as untouchable anymore (and was 37 anyway), and the main guy can't play 3 games without getting injured. It's a process to replace people.

Josh 76

It’s not like he had an open chequebook and Weg was his number one pick we had funds for a cheap loan.
I refuse to believe there wasn’t a striker in the World out there, better than him.

Josh 76

I like his effort, but we're so blunt up top when he plays. Like taking a spoon to a knife fight.
Please can we stop with this “Working hard” bullshit. The guy is terrible. I can get people in my local gym who will put the effort in. Don’t mean feck all when it comes to playing top level sport it you haven’t got the talent!

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Why is he still coming on when we have the likes of Pellistri on the bench?

It's actually quite amazing that people and Ten Hag were convinced that he is good enough backup in that period when team played well.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I refuse to believe there wasn’t a striker in the World out there, better than him.
Of course there were. I never buy into the "no other option" nonsense when it comes signing players. If the club is serious and organized enough, you can get the right players. ETH deemed Wout to be the right player for him, that's on him

Siorac

I'm genuinely not sure I've ever seen a worse striker play for us
The only candidate is Dong Fangzhuo and he played, what, that one game at Chelsea when they stood a guard of honour for Chris Eagles and Kieran Lee.

Siorac

Weghorst really shouldn't play again this season beyond a few minutes at the end of games we're winning to waste time subbing him on.
Frankly, even for that job I'd rather have someone who can put himself about a bit quicker.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
There are plenty. But the one available on loan in mid-season on cheap? EtH probably has a list of targets, but not for cheap loan strikers. He asked United, and probably the board with thick skin said no list and told him to find one himself.

So EtH probably watched his home country Netherland in WC, saw Wout scoring record in Germany and Turkey, and thought Ok, the guy was available and the price was right.

Castia

Of course there were. I never buy into the "no other option" nonsense when it comes signing players. If the club is serious and organized enough, you can get the right players. ETH deemed Wout to be the right player for him, that's on him
I dont agree at all. The line given to the media was there was no money outside of a cheap loan, we wasn't even willing to pay the loan fee for Felix.

I mean if you can name a striker option who can come in and play games for United for around the £2m price point then fair enough

The guy is at Burnley on loan in the Turkish league it's pretty obvious ETH knew what calibre of player we were getting, it was him or nobody

It was the same last January when Ragnick wanted Alvarez. We sign Alvarez last Jan and our striker problem is solved freeing up 100m+ that we'd spend this summer on a striker for another player the club really needs to get wise in the Jan window going forward

Son

We went for Felix first I’m pretty sure we couldn’t afford the 10m loan fee so he ended up at Chelsea.

kouroux

We went for Felix first I’m pretty sure we couldn’t afford the 10m loan fee so he ended up at Chelsea.
Felix and Wout have nothing in common in terms of targets too. The whole approach made no sense, there are thousands of players all over the world. Getting a striker with the right cannot be limited to those 2 options.
Who goes from Felix to Wout in a sane world ?

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer

Do you think he had options? The Glazers screwed him and it was clear we only get the cheapest of the cheapest option

kouroux

I dont agree at all. The line given to the media was there was no money outside of a cheap loan, we wasn't even willing to pay the loan fee for Felix.

I mean if you can name a striker option who can come in and play games for United for around the £2m price point then fair enough

The guy is at Burnley on loan in the Turkish league it's pretty obvious ETH knew what calibre of player we were getting, it was him or nobody

It was the same last January when Rangnick wanted Alvarez. We sign Alvarez last Jan and our striker problem is solved freeing up 100m+ that we'd spend this summer on a striker for another player the club really needs to get wise in the Jan window going forward
There are scouts whose job is that, there are pro who work on those things. If the end result of their research is Wout fecking Weghorst then fire the whole department.
Maybe I'm obtuse but no one is gonna make me swallow that it was Wout or nothing. That's impossible to me.

Castia

There are scouts whose job is that, there are pro who work on those things. If the end result of their research is Wout fecking Weghorst then fire the whole department.
Maybe I'm obtuse but no one is gonna make me swallow that it was Wout or nothing. That's impossible to me.
I agree from the outside it's a shambles. I just generally believe there was virtually no budget to do anything, it took em weeks to stump up the £2m loan fee if you remember

In the last couple of Jan windows we were heavily linked to Alvarez (12m) and Caicedo (5m) and for whatever reason didn't bite the bullet. Imagine those 2 in the club for less than 20m

kouroux

I agree from the outside it's a shambles. I just generally believe there was virtually no budget to do anything, it took em weeks to stump up the £2m loan fee if you remember

In the last couple of Jan windows we were heavily linked to Alvarez (12m) and Caicedo (5m) and for whatever reason didn't bite the bullet. Imagine those 2 in the club for less than 20m
I'm just depressed to watch him play for the team :lol: Our stop gap option had to be this shit, not even average. Just plain shit at football

Eddy_JukeZ

Weghorst did alright as a target man in the world Cup, we were desperate with no money and needed a body .. about it. Worth a try, no options, didn't pan out.
As @Rozay has said, he's not the only option. Even if he was, that doesn't mean you bring him in. Every player in the squad can do what he's done up top.

Eddy_JukeZ

Do you think he had options? The Glazers screwed him and it was clear we only get the cheapest of the cheapest option
He had the option to not bring him in....

The fact he wanted him in is the worrying part.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Can’t we just canceled the loan and return him back to where he came from?

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I knew Wout was no world beater, but feck me, he can do better than the shite he's showing at the moment. Sincerely hope he doesnt read the caf :lol:

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
He had the option to not bring him in....

The fact he wanted him in is the worrying part.
What are you on about. This squad needed depth badly so he was forced to bring someone in. Not his fault the club pays not enough to get a decent player

AFC NimbleThumb

The fact we’re wasting minutes on a Burnley loanee who should have absolutely no future here whilst other options, who let’s be honest aren’t perfect themselves, stay glued to the bench is beyond me.

If he were simply ‘not great’ at a few things then I could see the point but he is genuinely terrible. The part where he ignored Antony to run himself into trouble then collapse epitomised the guy & this squad. Terrible.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
‘No options’ is subjective. We could have just loaned someone else. Anyone thinking sensibly would not have classified Weghorst as ‘an option’ in the first place. Then what do we do?

And people keep mentioning a lack of finances. Weghorst wasn’t free! In fact, he cost around about what most 6 month loans would probably cost. Nobody seems to want to accept the fact that we found ourselves needing a short term striker and in those circumstances, our manager CHOSE Weghorst. That’s it. He wanted him here, he moved for him fairly early, and he wasn’t just waiting available - we had to go and negotiate with Besiktas and then pay them to get him. This is totally on the manager.

If WW really wasn’t wanted you would have seen that in how he was used. If he was considered not good enough then he’d have been there to provide a bench option, rather than straight into the lineup. Before the World Cup we played Rashford upfront in Martial’s absence. Our manager clearly decided that this was a better alternative. Strangely.

Eddy_JukeZ

What are you on about. This squad needed depth badly so he was forced to bring someone in. Not his fault the club pays not enough to get a decent player
It didn't need an abysmal footballer :lol:

Elanga(who is also bad) can literally provide more than Weghorst up front.

He wasn't forced to bring anyone in. Weghorst literally provides nothing to the squad. He's a complete hindrance out there and there's more and more players refusing to pass to him lately even when he gets in decent positions.

Eddy_JukeZ

‘No options’ is subjective. We could have just loaned someone else. Anyone thinking sensibly would not have classified Weghorst as ‘an option’ in the first place. Then what do we do?

And people keep mentioning a lack of finances. Weghorst wasn’t free! In fact, he cost around about what most 6 month loans would probably cost. Nobody seems to want to accept the fact that we found ourselves needing a short term striker and in those circumstances, our manager CHOSE Weghorst. That’s it. He wanted him here, he moved for him fairly early, and he wasn’t just waiting available - we had to go and negotiate with Besiktas and then pay them to get him. This is totally on the manager.

If WW really wasn’t wanted you would have seen that in how he was used. If he was considered not good enough then he’d have been there to provide a bench option, rather than straight into the lineup. Before the World Cup we played Rashford upfront in Martial’s absence. Our manager clearly decided that this was a better alternative. Strangely.
Exactly.

He wasn't needed at all and then Ten Hag proceeded to start him in almost every game.

Son

Felix and Wout have nothing in common in terms of targets too. The whole approach made no sense, there are thousands of players all over the world. Getting a striker with the right cannot be limited to those 2 options.
Who goes from Felix to Wout in a sane world ?
Felix is an upgrade on Martial so I see why that was attempted. I’m more annoyed at in a world when your main striker leaves we don’t have funds despite been arguably the largest club on the planet.

It’s just an utter clown show.

Now our owners are kicking the club down the line not caring about the summer plans either so they can get the highest possible price.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
TBF we would've but over the past 1.5 years, one of them decided to do things that caused him to be canceled as a footballer and the other went crying to Piers Morgan because he wasn't seen as untouchable anymore (and was 37 anyway), and the main guy can't play 3 games without getting injured. It's a process to replace people.
Weghorst didn’t play for us when all that happened though. Weghorst was our response to all that happening.

Brophs

The One and Only
He was useful at times in the early stages of his time here but now his confidence looks shot and all of his limitations are being laid bare. I don’t blame him in the slightest. He’s nowhere near this level and he’s bearing the brunt of bad decisions from the club.

Status
Not open for further replies.