Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
He's terrible in the air and in terms of physicality he can't hold the ball up at all. He works hard but you need more than that.
He did fairly well in both aspects in this particular match. Comfortably his best match in a while. Not that that's saying much of course since he's been very poor for well over a month now, but he was decent against Brighton. If he could stay at that level he'd be a useful squad player for the rest of the season, so hopefully he does. I won't be holding my breath though unfortunately.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Even if he doesn’t score another goal this season, I would probably still sign him as a rotation option if he was willing to sign a contract on those terms. We all went to sign a top CF, but we still need someone else to start other games during the season to keep others fresh. We also need a defensive forward like him to help see out matches when others have done their shift for the day.

The CF rotation option cannot be Rashford, when he is playing every other match at inside left. Martial simply cannot be relied upon to be there when you need him.

His attitude is sterling. If he handles himself that way longer term, he is an asset to the club.

Djemba-Djemba

Even if he doesn’t score another goal this season, I would probably still sign him as a rotation option if he was willing to sign a contract on those terms. We all went to sign a top CF, but we still need someone else to start other games during the season to keep others fresh. We also need a defensive forward like him to help see out matches when others have done their shift for the day.

The CF rotation option cannot be Rashford, when he is playing every other match at inside left. Martial simply cannot be relied upon to be there when you need him.

His attitude is sterling. If he handles himself that way longer term, he is an asset to the club.
That doesn't mean it has to be Weghorst!

Goodness me, surely we can get another backup striker who works hard but also actually has some creative ability and can score.

Weghorst has absolutely nothing except he works hard. It would be insanity to spend any more money on him.

MoskvaRed

A rotation option striker at United still needs to pose a goal threat. I don’t understand the idea of signing someone on the basis they can fill a squad number and run about a bit.

miked99

I wouldn't be averse to keeping him, as long the fee is cheap and it's on the understanding he's a reserve. We are chronically lacking in depth at CF, we only have Martial and he's not available half the time. Even if we spend big on a striker this summer, we've still only got one (and a half, if Martial stays). We're not spending big on two strikers, given our needs elsewhere and the fact we only play with one.

The only caveat to that is what ETH's plans are for Garnacho might be. Once he's ready to hold down a starting spot in the next season or two, does he maybe plan to move Rashford to a striker role? But even if that happens, he's not at that point yet and we need someone for next season.

Can fully understand why some might be opposed to this but we clearly aren't going to be able to address all our needs in one window so it might be case of making do in certain areas.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.

Goodness me, surely we can get another backup striker who works hard but also actually has some creative ability and can score.
Sure, but I’d put a second centre forward well down the pecking order of priorities and I don’t trust us to sign more than three or four in one window, especially with the ownership situation. If there’s a quick and easy deal to be done for Weghorst, I’d probably just do it.

Djemba-Djemba

Sure, but I’d put a second centre forward well down the pecking order of priorities and I don’t trust us to sign more than three or four in one window, especially with the ownership situation. If there’s a quick and easy deal to be done for Weghorst, I’d probably just do it.
Fair enough and I agree I never trust us to be efficient in the window , I just completely disagree with buying him. Weghorst has a decent shout for being the worst player I've ever seen for Utd. I think we'd be mad to waste any more money on him. There must be better value out there for a rotation option.

He offers almost nothing.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Fair enough and I agree I never trust us to be efficient in the window , I just completely disagree with buying him. Weghorst has a decent shout for being the worst player I've ever seen for Utd. I think we'd be mad to waste any more money on him. There must be better value out there for a rotation option.
I think people undervalue both attitude and endeavour, as well as availability when it comes to squad players. We’ve signed too many players in recent years who act as if they are doing us a favour to make themselves available. Cavani was great when he played, but never seemed to treat playing for United as a priority. We need players who want to be here and who will be satisfied with their role.

Djemba-Djemba

I think people undervalue both attitude and endeavour, as well as availability when it comes to squad players. We’ve signed too many players in recent years who act as if they are doing us a favour to make themselves available. Cavani was great when he played, but never seemed to treat playing for United as a priority. We need players who want to be here and who will be satisfied with their role.
Yeah but they need to have some talent and ability too.

We shouldn't be signing Weghorst because he tries hard and he's happy to be here, might as well just get a fan off the street if that is the requirement. I agree Cavani took the absolute piss in his 2nd season here and too many transfers here haven't given everything. But that's a different issue.

It would be madness to spend money on a striker who we've seen is a terrible finisher, slow, bad in the air, bad passer, can't hold the ball up and is just clearly not good enough.

Mayhem

He's one of the worst players in the league. There's a reason his teammates hardly ever passes to him.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
He's incredibly shit. A club like Man Utd should never give a player a contract just cause they try hard and have a good attitude.

Crimson King

We shouldn't sign the guy permanently. I think it says a lot that he probably wouldn't even get a game for Burnley when they come back up.

I've appreciated what he's done so far, and you can't fault his commitment, but he just isn't good enough at the basics.

FerociousCorgis

Weghorst has absolutely nothing except he works hard. It would be insanity to spend any more money on him.
Exactly. What the hell has happened in the world where our two CF options are no backup option or worthless ass wout? There are so many other options out there in the world for freaking CF's, ranging from on free to super expensive. Take your pick and dont settle for someone who when people say what he does "well" could apply to a random fan being plucked down from the stands.

ti vu

He did fairly well in both aspects in this particular match. Comfortably his best match in a while. Not that that's saying much of course since he's been very poor for well over a month now, but he was decent against Brighton. If he could stay at that level he'd be a useful squad player for the rest of the season, so hopefully he does. I won't be holding my breath though unfortunately.
He had to head some ball in the air, doesn't mean he is better in this game. Sabitzer had that header chance that is more memorable than all Weghorst aerial duel victories.

The level of holding up play, physicality is still poor. For example, he won the freekick for his workrate, but when you looked at it the other way, he's outmuscled by someone shorter. Still got dispossessed trying to hold up on at least one occasion I recalled. He had no impact on our chances to get a goal, nor defending (Brighton could have attacked and won the game still). His most impactful contribution is the penalty and the kiss of death on the ball (shithousery). It's nice but it's unlikely to always work as seen with Netherland still lost to Argentina in the shootout.

ti vu

I wouldn't be averse to keeping him, as long the fee is cheap and it's on the understanding he's a reserve. We are chronically lacking in depth at CF, we only have Martial and he's not available half the time. Even if we spend big on a striker this summer, we've still only got one (and a half, if Martial stays). We're not spending big on two strikers, given our needs elsewhere and the fact we only play with one.

The only caveat to that is what ETH's plans are for Garnacho might be. Once he's ready to hold down a starting spot in the next season or two, does he maybe plan to move Rashford to a striker role? But even if that happens, he's not at that point yet and we need someone for next season.

Can fully understand why some might be opposed to this but we clearly aren't going to be able to address all our needs in one window so it might be case of making do in certain areas.
Depth is not just body. Else we never lack in any positions. Bailly coming back, so with Lindelof and Maguire, we shouldn't be worry about Varane missing games, right?

Only this season we have issue with CF depth. Previous two seasons, the Talk was about some players being pushed out to other position when they could have been developed as CF.

It's totally unreasonable to pay money to get someone who is not serviceable. You don't go back and pay money for a player that is proven to be unsuccessful. If you want to be cheap, you can try paying few million to get different CF on loan. If Morata only cost 10mil per season loan, the lower profile would be cheaper.

ti vu

It's ironic when you mentioned, Cavani in his first season here did have a cult following with his effort on the pitch, and how he's engaging the match going fans passionately. Cavani had posters here who got charmed by his first season defending him in early of his second season. Match going fans cheered for him still in the second season.

In normal circumstances, where do you think Weghorst would be with Rashford, Ronaldo, Cavani, you know who, Martial level of yesteryear competition even as back up. Weghorst went to Turkey to start games so he could get into WC Netherland squad over someone as Danjuma. Instead of staying Burnley, which may put him on the bench and disinterest LVG. Do you think he's Okay with a role similar to 4th choice GK, and never getting call up for Netherland NT again?

The idea that he's happy to bench player role is based on the context that only one main CF signing and Martial being his main competition for the bench with this terrible injury record. Once, even those appearances dried up, it can easily turn a dream into a nightmare.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
He had to head some ball in the air, doesn't mean he is better in this game. Sabitzer had that header chance that is more memorable than all Weghorst aerial duel victories.

The level of holding up play, physicality is still poor. For example, he won the freekick for his workrate, but when you looked at it the other way, he's outmuscled by someone shorter. Still got dispossessed trying to hold up on at least one occasion I recalled. He had no impact on our chances to get a goal, nor defending (Brighton could have attacked and won the game still). His most impactful contribution is the penalty and the kiss of death on the ball (shithousery). It's nice but it's unlikely to always work as seen with Netherland still lost to Argentina in the shootout.
That's silly, he got barged in the back... Clear foul and he should go down every single time

sunama

Baghdad Bob
He's one of the worst players in the league. There's a reason his teammates hardly ever passes to him.
I remember back in the day when the forum would debate, which club would swap OGS with their manager. It was unanimous that nobody would take OGS.
The same argument can be used with Weghorst. Is there any club in the EPL who would swap him for their striker?

OrcaFat

Just saying but no contracts are on “rotation” terms. We won’t ask him to sign whilst telling him to accept he’s back up, it’s a silly idea. If we did sign him, I’m sure he would be backup but that’s not the same thing. He should try his bollocks off to get in the team and if he plays well enough he should be picked. Unless the world’s gone mad.

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
I think a lot of what people are saying here, at a very basic level is mostly correct. However, extremely over exaggerated. As a backup squad player, which is what he's hopefully happy to be, I'd have absolutely no problem signing him on a 2 year contract. He's intelligent, good at linking up play and using his off the ball movement to bring others into play. His finishing has been wayward, but I think that there has been a slight element of bad luck in some games.

Playing standards matter, but so do professional standards. Driving your teammates forward with your attitude during training, these type of bit part players are very important.

Now, of course if we signed Harry Kane, and Evan Ferguson, keeping him would be a charity case.

We won't get better for less. Thuram on a free maybe, but he's nowhere near as good at holding up the ball and would more be a cheaper replacement to Martial, with his dribbling skills and more flair based play.

FerociousCorgis

I think a lot of what people are saying here, at a very basic level is mostly correct. However, extremely over exaggerated. As a backup squad player, which is what he's hopefully happy to be, I'd have absolutely no problem signing him on a 2 year contract. He's intelligent, good at linking up play and using his off the ball movement to bring others into play. His finishing has been wayward, but I think that there has been a slight element of bad luck in some games.

Playing standards matter, but so do professional standards. Driving your teammates forward with your attitude during training, these type of bit part players are very important.

Now, of course if we signed Harry Kane, and Evan Ferguson, keeping him would be a charity case.

We won't get better for less. Thuram on a free maybe, but he's nowhere near as good at holding up the ball and would more be a cheaper replacement to Martial, with his dribbling skills and more flair based play.
have some standards man. You can find better squad players if you just load up football manager and take 5 minutes. I expect the club to do at least the same. FFS bringing Wout back for a 2 year contract what the hell.

Loon

:lol:
Surely there's been no talk of giving him a contract? I bear him no ill-will and wish him all the best wherever he may go, but he's a non-scoring forward.

kettledrumhamster

If you went through every team in the football pyramid, how far would you have to go to get a worse striker than Weghorst? Doesn't even win flick-ons like old-fashioned number 10s. He's an absolute enigma. I like him, he seems like a genuinely decent bloke. But I honestly have no idea how he has forged a professional career anywhere. He runs like a 13-year-old that's just had a growth spurt and hasn't gotten used to the length of his limbs.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
"Wout, unfortunately we won't be keeping you on in a playing capacity. But, does a role as a shithousery consultant interest you?"

ti vu

How do you know Weghorst is doing this well over someone else? What if Maguire is top professional when it comes to that kind of stuff? Is it wise if Maguire is couple injuries away from being back into the teams?

Just because he's endearing from a fan perspective doesn't mean he's seen as such from his colleagues. Him trying to have a handshake with Messi after a heated game in World Cup was not well received by Argentina camp for example. Messi was annoyed and called him silly or something, and told him to go away. You don't go force your idea on superior people to pay respect to you because by chance they happen to be where you are.

"He's intelligent, good at linking up play and using his off the ball movement to bring others into play." is just a baseless myth, that got disproven when comparing to other players like Rashford, Martial as flawed as they performing much better without being all of those things. Martial is meh with his off ball movement. Rashford is not that football intelligent swing that his decision making is still questionable, and he prefer running behind rather dropping deep and getting move involved. Martial is not in top form, nor he should be starting material and there is so much gap in ability. Rashford is not even a proper CF.

Even Weghorst himself was self aware of his shortcoming, unlike some people keep coming up with weird excuses:

"There were a few situations where I was close, but always just not. It’s just… just s***. Bad luck? Whether it’s just bad luck. Ultimately, it’s also quality. You have to be honest about that too. You can call it bad luck."

“But that last ball of mine was allowed in. As a striker, you know that you can score in these kinds of matches. Then you can also remain standing for the entire match, then you would like to repay the trust. That sucks.”

https://www.goal.com/en-us/news/man...-assault-on-gibraltar-net/bltf6554b35375164c6

Last edited:

Stig

Has anyone else noticed that when he makes a run in the box and another player shoots he throws his arms in the air and then stares at the offending player, indicating that they should have passed to him as he would have had a tap in .

I think he's getting an inflated idea about his talent level.

Nicolarra90

Depth is not just body. Else we never lack in any positions. Bailly coming back, so with Lindelof and Maguire, we shouldn't be worry about Varane missing games, right?
That said... Half fit Bailly > Maguire

United Hobbit

It absolutely baffles and astounds me that people want him signed permenantly. I'm of the opinion as soon as his loan is up he needs to be returned to Burnley and not return!

Yes he's passionate but that should be the absolute bare minimum expected of a player at Manchester United

It feels like we are back to Ole times and mediocrity is being accepted. He almost feels like an Ole player, show some passion and run around a lot.

If he'd scored some goals and got some assists I wouldn't have a problem with him being signed as a back up, but he's done nowhere near enough. I want us to be taking the next step and back challenging for the league. We won't if we make signings just because they run a lot and are happy to be here - I'm sure most of us would queue up outside OT if those sorts of contracts were available!

Scorpy

Absolutely crapping it and loving it!
Tolerating players who are quite obviously nowhere near the required standard is why we've done feck all in the past decade.

Weghorst is nowhere near good enough for Manchester United, not even as a third-choice striker.

JakeC

have some standards man. You can find better squad players if you just load up football manager and take 5 minutes. I expect the club to do at least the same. FFS bringing Wout back for a 2 year contract what the hell.
Thank Christ we don't use a video game as a scouting benchmark.

JakeC

How do you know Weghorst is doing this well over someone else? What if Maguire is top professional when it comes to that kind of stuff? Is it wise if Maguire is couple injuries away from being back into the teams?

Just because he's endearing from a fan perspective doesn't mean he's seen as such from his colleagues. Him trying to have a handshake with Messi after a heated game in World Cup was not well received by Argentina camp for example. Messi was annoyed and called him silly or something, and told him to go away. You don't go force your people superior around to pay respect to you because by chance they happen to be where you are.

"He's intelligent, good at linking up play and using his off the ball movement to bring others into play." is just a baseless myth, that got disproven when comparing to other players like Rashford, Martial as flawed as they performing much better without being all of those things. Martial is meh with his off ball movement. Rashford is not that football intelligent swing that his decision making is still questionable, and he prefer running behind rather dropping deep and getting move involved. Martial is not in top form, nor he should be starting material and there is so much gap in ability. Rashford is not even a proper CF.

Even Weghorst himself was self aware of his shortcoming, unlike some people keep coming up with weird excuses:

"There were a few situations where I was close, but always just not. It’s just… just s***. Bad luck? Whether it’s just bad luck. Ultimately, it’s also quality. You have to be honest about that too. You can call it bad luck."

“But that last ball of mine was allowed in. As a striker, you know that you can score in these kinds of matches. Then you can also remain standing for the entire match, then you would like to repay the trust. That sucks.”

https://www.goal.com/en-us/news/man...-assault-on-gibraltar-net/bltf6554b35375164c6
This is a good post, but I think it circumvents to my original argument.

Maguire is clearly an exceptional footballer, he wouldn't be playing for us if he wasn't. We are talking about players being at the HIGHEST level, and whether the men we're talking about are the literal best in class.

One is an on loan striker we could get for less than 10 million, the other is our captain and the most expensive defender in the history of the game.

ti vu

This is a good post, but I think it circumvents to my original argument.

Maguire is clearly an exceptional footballer, he wouldn't be playing for us if he wasn't. We are talking about players being at the HIGHEST level, and whether the men we're talking about are the literal best in class.

One is an on loan striker we could get for less than 10 million, the other is our captain and the most expensive defender in the history of the game.
Disagree. We made a mistake and have Maguire here. Maguire may still have a PL career, but the level we really want to get back to, Maguire has no role for it. Because what we paid for him, it's difficult to move him on. If he's a cheap purchase, he would easily among the first out of the door last summer with how he had performed last season.

Weghorst is not even decent PL forward. No PL wanted him on cheap loan last summer when Burnley went down. Even on free, what he offered is not good enough for back up role, and it's not sure he would be happy to stay around when it could affect his chance to be called up for Netherland. He moved to Turkey to make sure he started regularly and get Netherland call up after all.

There is no basis to believe that Burnley would take loss to sell him for 10 mil or less, especially now they got promoted back to PL. If he's that good, they may keep him around because 10mil or less wouldn't help them replacing him in this age. So it's more likely they would want their money back or even ask for some premium with World Cup scorer and Man United experience, if we get sucker into purchasing him.

To sum it up, you don't use non performing players to set the standard/mood for the team however extrovert their love for the club, how much their effort show. A great talented player can still halfarse and perform better, so it is messy choosing between the turds.

Last edited:

FerociousCorgis

Thank Christ we don't use a video game as a scouting benchmark.
Thank Christ the club hopefully won't bring back a burnley reject who can't even win headers or do anything besides lay off a ball to someone 2 feet away

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

Sacrébleu :lol::lol: We're talking about the same Wout who gets dispossessed with most physical duels ?

SoCross

I love the Weghorse but he’s not good enough to be our second option at CF. We need a goal threat and someone with some pace.

Someone like Hernandez, if we are looking a bit further back into the past. Not good enough consistently to be our main man but certainly good enough to be our option off the bench and start and carry a threat in some games.

Ok for Wout to be third choice CF but even that, we should ideally be looking at the academy.

FerociousCorgis

Last post for me here cause I can't handle the craziness of people actually hyping up Wout somehow. Why do some people act like the club has two choices and can only either have no backup striker or we have to choose Wout as the backup striker? Like holy hell so many options out there. I don't hold it against EtH for trying to find cheap option for this season but move on. Clearly it isn't a good long term choice

InfiniteBoredom

Sacrébleu :lol::lol: We're talking about the same Wout who gets dispossessed with most physical duels ?
We have a post or two above still mentioning his ‘aerial threat’. I truly don’t know if they experienced optical illusions while watching football matches or are just so attached to him that they have to gaslight people into thinking Wout Weghorst has the superior aerial prowess to a skinny 10 year old.

Status
Not open for further replies.