5.0 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mmm-Qatarian

So you need both wings to perform well before the CF would attempt to play correctly by making run behind the high defense line? If that's not making excuses, I don't what's not...

By any chance, do you mean WW's sacrifice was the reason, Garnacho having a good time on the left wing too?

WW's not quite good at drawing defenders to him. He's just not able to shake them off and lost in the mix of players. Leeds congested the playing pitch, because he failed to lead the line by posing a threat of running behind. He knows himself he's slow, so he didn't attempt to position for any type of foot race to attack the space in behind. He failed the task to draw the defender and stretch play. This game particularly, Leeds defenders mostly just left him be because he failed to get himself into the game doing the right thing.

After taking WW off and put Rashford up top, and Leeds' tactic quickly waned. Easy. The effect is drastic.
I mean yeah, if you want a striker who will cause a defence trouble by running in behind then obviously Rashford is the better pick than Weghorst. That shouldn't be a revelation to anyone. It also had no relevance to my post because my post was not about Weghorst's ability to run off the last man, it was about his hold-up play.

Also, "He's just not able to shake them off" is a patently ridiculous thing to say about a striker dropping deep and laying the ball off to oncoming runners. He didn't do it well yesterday, in part because he had a poor game in general and in part because the game was not well set-up for him to do it. He has done it well in other games and if you're just going to say "no he hasn't" then I'm sorry but there is really no point in continuing this discussion because you're either not watching our matches or you're not open to admitting that Weghorst could be capable of positively contributing in some manner.

I'm not even trying to argue that Weghorst is good enough to be a starter here. I don't think he is. I'm just absolutely fecking tired of this place being completely devoid of any nuance when it comes to discussing players. They're either world class and above repreieve or entirely useless and incapable of contributing anything positive to the team.

Blood Mage

He’s just not that good is he? I mean he presses well and can play a quick pass when it played at his feet with pace but that’s about it.
He has his uses for a team that's not seeing much of the ball, but as we're dominating possession in most games under Ten Hag he's proving pretty useless.

Fluctuation0161

It's just so strange, we've got this big target man and don't bother even attempting to send any crosses in to him 90% of the time, then we take him off and move Rashford to the middle and suddenly start whipping them in. He hasn't exactly impressed but it also doesn't really appear like we're trying to play to his strengths either.

It was probably tough yesterday with Antony out but I don't think he should be starting. If Martial is injured then Rashford should start through the middle for now. Sancho/Garnacho and Antony/Bruno/Pellistri wide.
Maybe the other players have seen him in training and know he is limited. From what I've seen despite his height he cannot win higg balls that well. His first touch isn't great. He is best out of possession.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
An emergency stop gap to cover when Martial can't play.
Unfortunately Martial can't play very often at all.

ti vu

I mean yeah, if you want a striker who will cause a defence trouble by running in behind then obviously Rashford is the better pick than Weghorst. That shouldn't be a revelation to anyone. It also had no relevance to my post because my post was not about Weghorst's ability to run off the last man, it was about his hold-up play.

Also, "He's just not able to shake them off" is a patently ridiculous thing to say about a striker dropping deep and laying the ball off to oncoming runners. He didn't do it well yesterday, in part because he had a poor game in general and in part because the game was not well set-up for him to do it. He has done it well in other games and if you're just going to say "no he hasn't" then I'm sorry but there is really no point in continuing this discussion because you're either not watching our matches or you're not open to admitting that Weghorst could be capable of positively contributing in some manner.

I'm not even trying to argue that Weghorst is good enough to be a starter here. I don't think he is. I'm just absolutely fecking tired of this place being completely devoid of any nuance when it comes to discussing players. They're either world class and above repreieve or entirely useless and incapable of contributing anything positive to the team.
You're talking about some fantasy situation.

CF needs to make decision between dropping deep or making run. Here this game demanding the CF to make run, but your CF refused to do so, and instead doing the opposite, and you claimed he's doing his job.

Noone should set up, building a team around a 30 year old CF signed as rotation option on loan, imported from Turkey league; all while negated the most prolific scorer in the team. Expect the lay off machine to bring his ability to contribute as is, which didn't happen. He almost had nothing to contribute. He should not start. That's all to it.

He's done it well in others games is your opinion. And however valid your points in other games is, it's being nullified by your failure to see how this Leeds game played out tactically.

If you're tired of this forum, just don't post. Somebody else maybe tired of the white knighters, who make up narrative baselessly.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
I don't remember him being this slow for Burnely? It's like he's running treacle!

ti vu

We should learn how to supply him or what’s the point!
No we shouldn't. He's 30, and he didn't prove himself as player for this level. Why would you change your team dynamic to build around him, when he's not guaranteed goal, if you build to play to his strength.

The point in bringing him is for rotation when the game is dusted, or meaningless games, but there is almost no point in starting him while shoehorn our current most prolific scorer into his worst position, which hindering the team.

Mmm-Qatarian

You're talking about some fantasy situation.

CF needs to make decision between dropping deep or making run. Here this game demanding the CF to make run, but your CF refused to do so, and instead doing the opposite, and you claimed he's doing his job.

Noone should set up, building a team around a 30 year old CF signed as rotation option on loan, imported from Turkey league; all while negated the most prolific scorer in the team. Expect the lay off machine to bring his ability to contribute as is, which didn't happen. He almost had nothing to contribute. He should not start. That's all to it.

He's done it well in others games is your opinion. And however valid your points in other games is, it's being nullified by your failure to see how this Leeds game played out tactically.

If you're tired of this forum, just don't post. Somebody else maybe tired of the white knighters, who make up narrative baselessly.
My guy, I literally acknowledged that he did not have a good game against Leeds. Did you miss that or something?

The point I'm making is that the reason he was poor against Leeds is not that he's absolutely useless and incapable of providing value in any match, but rather than he wasn't suited to this specific match.

ti vu

My guy, I literally acknowledged that he did not have a good game against Leeds. Did you miss that or something?

The point I'm making is that the reason he was poor against Leeds is not that he's absolutely useless and incapable of providing value in any match, but rather than he wasn't suited to this specific match.
Thanks for finally acknowledging the obvious, and did away with the excuses in your initial post.

1. Rashford being bad on right wing should not stop a CF belong to our team level from making the correct tactical contribution.
2. Leeds successfully congested the pitch, by playing the high line and high pressing was partially hugely benefited from our CF being hinderance on our own team.

A cone has its use/benefit, why else use them in training right? However, we're talking about standard. In some other games, he may not be as bad as his worst game, but his good points don't equal contribution where as his bad points tip more on the hinderance scale. He's not excellent with his good points! He is as useful as a body. That's not useful enough for this competitive level, and the purpose of killing games and resting key players.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
He has his uses for a team that's not seeing much of the ball, but as we're dominating possession in most games under Ten Hag he's proving pretty useless.
He isn’t a bad player but he isn’t a good player either. He has only excelled in leagues that this forum considers farmers leagues and yet many people thought he would be amazing. He will work hard but he won’t be scoring very often at all. You guys went for the budget option and you’ll get budget results expecting anything else is like going to Aldi’s and expecting M&S.

Mcking

He was also useless at Burnley who weren't seeing much of the ball.

NLunited

Did not have a good game, but neither did most of the team. He did not get service.

A target man does not turn and run at defenders with the ball, but holds it up and brings others into play. He does that well, as well as making good moves in the box and pressing.

We need more composure in the final third, then this guy will get his goals.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
He is a chromecast in an augmented reality world. Yes you can make a few use of it but ultimately it simply exists.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
People are being super harsh on him. He obviously is not elite but he's a solid lower prem striker with great intangibles but not the best physical attributes. Had a poor game but he's been solid since he joined and always works hard for the team at a minimum. Still a possibility we sign him up as a cheap backup option in the summer if he does well the rest of the season.

Wing Attack Plan R

Did our own fans always rip our own team this way? These comments are way over the top. Saying he’s off the pace or has poor control is one thing, but it keeps surprising me when I read someone saying they hate him, he’s a donkey, etc. and then see the user has a United based name. feck

Mainoldo

Did our own fans always rip our own team this way? These comments are way over the top. Saying he’s off the pace or has poor control is one thing, but it keeps surprising me when I read someone saying they hate him, he’s a donkey, etc. and then see the user has a United based name. feck
Who said they hated him and called him a donkey?

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
He’s just not that good is he? I mean he presses well and can play a quick pass when it played at his feet with pace but that’s about it.
Burnley striker on loan in Turkey. I'm really not sure what anyone expected.

fergiewherearethou

Supports
Erik ten Hag
People are being super harsh on him. He obviously is not elite but he's a solid lower prem striker with great intangibles but not the best physical attributes. Had a poor game but he's been solid since he joined and always works hard for the team at a minimum. Still a possibility we sign him up as a cheap backup option in the summer if he does well the rest of the season.
I don't think we should keep him, not even as a backup. We might be better finding a younger ST who can actually develop. With Wout I don't think there anything to develop.
He was bought as a cheap quick fix and that's what he is. Too limited and mediocre for a top PL side.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
I don't think we should keep him, not even as a backup. We might be better finding a younger ST who can actually develop. With Wout I don't think there anything to develop.
He was bought as a cheap quick fix and that's what he is. Too limited and mediocre for a top PL side.
Lets see how he performs the rest of the way and make that decision at the end of the season. We need two strikers in the summer. A starter and a back up. Depending on the financial constraints we might be forced to shop in the Wout section again for the back up position so I think he's still an option.

poleglass red

He already tried that with Burnley and wasn't too successful. I do get what you are saying though, he's been thrown in at the deep end and so far played mostly with wingers in Rashford and Antony, who aren't the type, there to provide crosses, for the central striker.

romufc

We had no money, so we needed to get someone in. I dont see why everyone is getting so bothered about this.

He was brought in for cover for Martial, we all thought, Martial has a nice break, will be back after the WC but he cannot play more than 45 minutes anymore.

That is the reason he has had to start games. Add to this, Sancho has been unavailable, Antony randomly misses games.

Fabio Rochemback

We had no money, so we needed to get someone in. I dont see why everyone is getting so bothered about this.
I'm not annoyed at the club or Weghorst himself, it's just weird to me that some people seem to think he's good enough to play for us (even as a back up).

Matt851

I am worried we will keep starting him when he so clearly stilts our attack. We could still be using him a bit better but his incredibly slow speed means he is unable to lay thr ball off and get in to the box in an acceptable time period. We should obviously play rashford upfront is martial continues to be injured

Andersonson

If you watch his game , you could actually see that he positions himself very good in front of goal. Often Rashford or Bruno takes the shot instead of looking for him. He is often in a good scoring position, but others male different options.

He is a decent backup option

NLunited

If you watch his game , you could actually see that he positions himself very good in front of goal. Often Rashford or Bruno takes the shot instead of looking for him. He is often in a good scoring position, but others male different options.

He is a decent backup option
Absolutely. Hag is happy with his contributions, goals will come.

kingEric68

Yep a badly thought out decision. Not value to him or us and he’d be better off not going through the charade as it will only damage his onward career with Accrington Stanley

Ole's screen

Supports
KC Chiefs

He was brought in for cover for Martial, we all thought, Martial has a nice break, will be back after the WC but he cannot play more than 45 minutes anymore.

That is the reason he has had to start games. Add to this, Sancho has been unavailable, Antony randomly misses games.
I mean they might as well have taken league two striker. I’m not even convinced he’s better than Paul Mullen at non league Wrexham.

croadyman

I am worried we will keep starting him when he so clearly stilts our attack. We could still be using him a bit better but his incredibly slow speed means he is unable to lay thr ball off and get in to the box in an acceptable time period. We should obviously play rashford upfront is martial continues to be injured
Well maybe if Mr weetabix could actually stay fit

redshaw

I've liked some aspects of his game but I hope ETH won't be too shy with switching Rashford to the middle and having Sancho, Garnacho Antony and Pellistri occupying the wings. Rashford has been quite impressive with his heading.

Strootman's Finger

He's not had the best start, but in the last two games he played we waited till he was subbed off to start putting crosses into the box. He must have sat on the bench totally perplexed as we put two or three perfect crosses into the box within 5 mins of him going off against Leeds.

Status
Not open for further replies.