5.0 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

kthanksbye

I think he has done enough for us to keep him, if you consider the situation we're in.
Suppose we sign a striker, which we have to, we can't rely on Martial to be fit, it will be nice to keep WW as another option who does not complain about game time and give everything he has when called upon.
If we sell WW we'll have to rely on Martial's fitness.
If we sell Martial, WW doesn't have enough goals in him to be the 2nd choice.

Keeping both wouldn't cost us a lot of money. We can get a quality #9.

AndySmith1990

Love his attitude. Just wish he had a bit more quality and pace. Wouldn't be the worst player to have around the squad as a backup next season

Josh 76

I think he has done enough for us to keep him, if you consider the situation we're in.
Suppose we sign a striker, which we have to, we can't rely on Martial to be fit, it will be nice to keep WW as another option who does not complain about game time and give everything he has when called upon.

Teams will work him out next season. He will be a marked man!

Slevs

likes to play with penises
If the price is right, keep him as a 3rd choice CF for next season.

Guy plays his ass off, always presses, is always available to play, and I think would genuinely be happy here as 3rd choice.

fergiewherearethou

Supports
Erik ten Hag

So you are suggesting buy 2 St's and keep Wout as a 3rd choice?

Gordon S

It does feel like "Striker" is not what he is or plays like. He is something else.
His finishing resembles a bang average CB getting thrown up the pitch the last 5 min while chasing a goal.
But his touch and link up play is really not bad, and he runs his socks off for 90 minutes.
Really odd player but hard to not like him!

Klaasmans

Supports
PSV
The main thing with weghorst not scoring is the way he needs to score. He is a Bas Dost, one touch type of striker battling himself infront of the defender. Without deliveries into the box. No crosses and this guy will never score.

stevoc

I think he is good enough for United - as much as we'd love to have a team of Rashford's - we need players like Wout as part of the squad.

He clearly does what the manager expects of him very well. I don't think EtH would be playing him if he wasn't delivering and I think he is not as bad a footballer as some one here make him out to be.
Well no probably not but he also doesn't have many options. Which is why he's found himself at United in the first place.

He is a decent footballer and he's got great work ethic and while yes successful teams need a few players who can do the running for others. I'm not sure the manager will want to have a back up striker who's averaged less than 1 goal every 10 games in English football. I might be wrong but I just don't see that happening.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
I've moaned about him a fair bit, but he's had a few good performances recently. Some games just suit him more than others, and in other games we have looked a much better team the moment he is subbed off.

Wouldn't mind us signing him in the summer as long as it's for very cheap, and with the hope that he is a backup option and not starting every week like he currently is.

Strelok

No, Buy one, Martial and Wout. These 3 strikers for next season.
That's basically two imo. I don't mind keeping Martial but tbh I've simply resigned to the thought of Martial being fit when we really need him.

DickDastardly

The ultimate pressing bully.

Just needs to up his A game shithousery to a Troy Deeney level and he'll be obnoxious.

I know i'd hate to play against him.

sugar_kane

What impressed me last night was his passing, it was very poor in his first few games but some of the ones he made last night weren't just perfect but not the most obvious or easiest to pull off either.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Can't the caf start a crowd funding to sign this guy in the summer? He's not good enough, but he would make a very tall mascot, and you lot win everything with him around, somehow.

Teams will work him out next season. He will be a marked man!
What's there to figure out? :lol: Can't score, but has good hold up play and can combine with better players. If teams want to set aside a player to man mark our worst player, I'd say they're very welcome to. The more attention he draws to himself, the better.

Ibi Dreams

Such a weird player. A striker that doesn't score, massive but rubbish in the air, no pace at all yet successfully presses defenders all game. Somehow makes it work.

Jeffthered

No goal or assist but basically essential for two goals yesterday
Exactly. It's pretty clear that everyone at the club knows what he is good at (...drops deep, links play v v well, he has a v good football brain and appreciation of a game, disrupts opposition, and helps the team build as an attacking unit... in addition to a terrific attitude and work-rate...)

I'd keep playing him, he's good for the team. Of course, in front of goal he is limited, but has contributed to us maintaining decent form. I think opposing teams underestimate his influence and impact, and that's even better for the rest of the team. Well done ETH and his coaching staff.. making the best of a players abilities. That's what management is about, and not just a cheque-book....

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
Can't deny it - he's doing the job he's asked to do. And doing it pretty well.

That said, I think we'd be mad to sign him permanently for anything other than a token fee (less than £5m).

Strelok

Such a weird player. A striker that doesn't score, massive but rubbish in the air, no pace at all yet successfully presses defenders all game. Somehow makes it work.
You put McT there and I bet it'd work too. Imo it's actually ETH who makes it works here.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
Sign him. As a back up / squad striker for an outlay of £3m he fits the bill.

Sparky Rhiwabon

It does feel like "Striker" is not what he is or plays like. He is something else.
His finishing resembles a bang average CB getting thrown up the pitch the last 5 min while chasing a goal.
But his touch and link up play is really not bad, and he runs his socks off for 90 minutes.
Really odd player but hard to not like him!
Peak Firmino is maybe the best comparison

MadMike

I wish this comparison would just die. Firmino has 107 goals and 78 assists in 352 appearances for Liverpool.

Peak Firmino, back in 17/18, had 27 goals and 17 assists in 54 games and averaged a goal contribution every 90 minutes. He was never a donkey or a pure workhorse.

The comparison is so far off, that you might as well reach a bit further and compare him to peak Messi.

Last edited:

InfiniteBoredom

Peak Dirk Kuyt, more like.

The disrespect for Firmino is unreal, he declined massively these last 3 years but at his peak for Pool between 17-19, he was a major source of productivity in their team, even though still overshadowed by Mane/Salah.

De_BoerAjax

Supports
Ajax
I think Rashford, bruno, antony, sancho etc would rather play with wout weghorst (who cost you 3 mill orso) then with darwin nunez (80 million)

joeunited

I think he's smart with a bit of skills. It's just that his legs are so slow.

Speaking of legs, Weghorst, the workhorse has been runing so much the leghorses are going to be tired at some point.

croadyman

Yea and then people complain how we have no goals without Rashford in the team… having s striker allergic to goals certainly doesn’t help IMO. I like WW but all the comments about him being “amazing”, “brilliant” etc are weird. He is doing okay as a loan signing but having him as our striker or even a backup striker in the long run is a big no no. Way too limited in pretty much everything except pressing.
I am not against him as a backup provided we sign a starter in the summer. Least he can stay fit unlike Martial

adedawson

Perfect squad player, he needs signing. Long term he gives that tactical edge. His play, dragging players with him, setting up others, he can score, massive tall point man.

fergiewherearethou

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I hope we buy two strikers and don't keep Weghorst. I don't think we really need 3 CFs, Rashford can do a job there in the unlikely event that both strikers are out at the same time.
I agree what would be my logic also.

No, Buy one, Martial and Wout. These 3 strikers for next season.
3 ST's is a bit much for 1 position, I would understand if we buy one and keep Wout as I don't really think Martial can stay fit.

Strelok

No, because McT lacks awareness and has never been good at linking play.
I bet we could say the same about WW before he came here.

McT is a midfielder and midfielders generally have better awareness than strikers, and probably better at linking play too since they're the ones who are supposed to link everything together. Midfielder is the most difficult position to play regarding the brain. If you have a football brain good enough to play there you can play basically anywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.