g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Wout Weghorst

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolverine

Tell him he can come in after an mRNA vaccine, see he badly he wants the move :nervous:

Red Star One

At 6ft 6in, Weghorst commonly plays as a striker, in particular a 'target man' role, due to his aerial dominance and ability to hold up the play.[36] He is renowned as a goal poacher, with good reactive finishing inside the penalty area,[37] but also regularly drops deep to help link play.[38] In the 2021–22 Premier League season, Weghorst averaged more presses per 90 minutes than any other player.[39] His style of play has been compared to that of Edin Džeko.

damn. why the feck not?
I don't think he's a bad stop-over option for us, but it's quite rich to talk about his "aerial dominance", all I've seen from him would suggest he's not so great in the air despite the size.

croadyman

For the past decade, we’ve been buying players that excite fans on marquee name alone, and then turned to total disappointment when we saw they weren’t the right fit for the club, the squad or the style of play.

So I welcome this approach of obtaining unfashionable, obscure names who don’t excite, but are perfect for the team. ETH was after Arnautovic who was a very similar profile player (tall target man who can link up play and hold the ball up), so this is not necessarily some panic buy. We’ve been after a player like this since ETH stepped through the door.
Yeah and he strikes me as someone who will be motivated to make rival fans mocking this move eat a little bit of humble pie

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Says? He made no impact for Burnley in his 6 months, and was loaned to a Turkish side, not back to Bundesliga, not to a Spanish side, how come no other Premier league team wanted him?
LVG and Weghorst said this themselves. Why else would he go from Wolfsburg (were in the champions league thanks to him the year prior) to Burnley without such a clause and potentially miss the world cup?

No other EPL team wants him cause he's not very good, or maybe he didn't want to get into another relegation scrap. Besiktas is far more attractive than you're making it out to be.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
What we don’t need is a messy saga. This is only good if it’s done quickly. Not worth the hassle otherwise.

croadyman

We need some reliable journos to give their views on this worryingly official statement

Mainoldo

I’m pretty sure Burnley can recall him if they want to.

However based on a fee being agreed there would be a penalty to pay. Anyone just are luck. If this was Bayern or Madrid I’m sure Besiktas would be bowing and washing feet. But as always English clubs just scream… money.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
This seems messy, but also a bit odd for Besiktas to go so mental over someone they don't even own.
I read somewhere that Besiktas had an obligation to buy as part of the loan, so, to some extent, you could see why they'd see him as their player.

I imagine this will get done, somehow, but it may drag on until the end of the January window.

Chairman Steve

Judging by Weghorst’s demeanour in that Besiktas game the other day, it’s probably much more advanced that the press are making it out to be. Don’t forget they want to milk this for all it’s worth. I don’t think Weghorst is going to be so blatant with that ‘farewell everyone’ demeanour he was giving off, if he didn’t know it was happening.

The only thing that’ll hold it up is bullshit price haggling and clubs trying to save face, by not looking weak when looking for replacements. Remember Bilbao saying they were not selling Herrera and then an hour later they were?

Wheato

Unfortunately he is... Apparently used to share conspiracy theories on his instagram in 2020 and West Ham among others passed on signing him due to his vaccine stance in 2021.
Doesn't really matter now, does it? Only needs to keep his trap shut for the remaining 4 months of the season.

mu4c_20le

Always liked Besiktas.

Guess the glazers will have to open their cheque book now

Status
Not open for further replies.