Wout Weghorst

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoPace

My point is that how the dice had been cast (ie cheap loan deal, no buy out obligation etc) then we're focusing on a very small category of players which aren't necessarily the kind ETH would want in normal circumstances. Basically we're digging deep in the thrash can while trying to find something half decent from a very bad batch.
No question. Realistically, the list of available guys is something like this:

-Weghorst, Memphis, Moussa Dembele, a few other disgruntled strikers being hawked around by their agents,
-Maybe 4 or 5 backup strikers from teams in mid-table purgatory around Europe who might take a loan fee on January 30th for their backup striker and just promote a youngster if they're a solid 12 points (take Clermont in ligue 1, they're 9 points out of Europe and 11 from relegation. If those gaps got to say 13 and 15 by the end of the month, they'd have to think about taking a few million for their backup 9)
-Just every 3rd choice striker around

In terms of Ten Hag's thinking, this may really only tell us that Memphis isn't totally fit and he doesn't have some weird thing for Moussa Dembele.

NoPace

You may need to find another hobby if you seriously think that when Ronaldo left two months ago, EtH said "feck Gakpo and Felix, get me Weghorst instead". What parallel universe is that happening in? I can understand people saying we don't have money (but that is Murtough's fault and he should be fired), but saying that EtH actually wants Weghorst when we are in extremely competitive fight for top 4, and maybe even a trophy is not serious and not funny.
It seems like he did want Gapko, but I have no idea about Felix.

If we play the next 5 months over 10 times, how many times do you really think Gapko in his first extended period as a 9 (or Rashford as a 9 with Gapko out left) outperforms Weghorst in his natural role? I'd say probably less than 5.

Ten Hag must think Gapko, with his height and end product, can be turned into a striker like Henry was. I'm fine with a loanee for 4 months and then an actual buy in the summer.

RedDevilRoshi

Did they pay Burnley to get him on loan from them, so if the loan gets cancelled before time they would want some of that fee back.
Surely that would be Burnley that would pay that as it’s them that would trigger the termination of the loan because it’s their player?

Lee565

Why wasn't we more proactive in the summer in getting a striker in on the cheap, this is the same old story at this club where we are always reactive instead of proactive, we knew in the summer that trouble was brewing with ronaldo when he was doing everything to get a move and went awol throughout pre-season, it's crazy to think the club was content with making do with a disruptive ageing primadonna and martial who had come off the back of two seasons of awful form

BorisManUtd

Sounds like this is happening. He's 30 and has a chance to move to a big club, will be buzzing for sure even if it's only a loan. Would also work with Dutch manager which is probably another positive.

I'd be happy with this, just don't drag it too much, he'll be needed for cup games played in 15-20 days.

NLunited

I admire your optimism. Except he is Turkish Super Lig player, on loan from Championship's Burnley who only cost Burnley 20 mil euros, after the season you so admire in Bundesliga. There is a reason why nobody else was and is interested in him. He is clearly not a top player, no matter how you try to hype him up. Neither is he a top young prospect who could become a top player, like Gakpo or Felix. He is 30. He is Ighalo kind of desperate loan at best. He is scraps.
No one is saying he is a top top striker. But the disrespect is astounding for decent players below that level. He is certainly better than ‘scraps’.

Who do you suggest we should get instead? Felix, who will need time to bed in to get used to PL and will cost 20 million for 5 months?!? That would be fecking stupid and irresponsible.

croadyman

He’ll be a massive success here. We’ll ask him to stay if he’s on loan. And, I bet he’ll be so much on fire that by the end of the season we’ll all be referring to Haaland as the “Norwegian Wout”.
Like I said earlier not against him being the backup striker for our first choice number 9 in the summer

NLunited

Why wasn't we more proactive in the summer in getting a striker in on the cheap, this is the same old story at this club where we are always reactive instead of proactive, we knew in the summer that trouble was brewing with ronaldo when he was doing everything to get a move and went awol throughout pre-season, it's crazy to think the club was content with making do with a disruptive ageing primadonna and martial who had come off the back of two seasons of awful form
We did try, remember Arnautovic? Sesko? There were others we don’t know about I’m sure.

Wrecking ralf

Football is weird when you only look at the worst season of a players career.
Be better if they looked at the Brighton game they won 3-0. Shows how good he could have been for them. The team was shocking though. Him playing with our team is completely different and will show just how good he can be. A lot of people will be made to eat their words.

Suv666

And Rashford scored 4 in 25 matches last season. Is Championship his level?
No because he had scored bucket loads before to prove he can hack it in PL.

If he was bought in from Bundesliga and scored 4 all season then it would be a fair assumption that he’s not cut out for top flight in England.

I wonder how many people are aware that Mitrovic scored 3 goals in 27 PL appearances two seasons ago.

He's definitely not good enough for the Prem...
Two seasons ago he clearly wasn’t and if another PL team had bought it at the back of that season no doubt he would have struggled. WW coming on a loan at 30 doesn’t have the time to hone his skills.

Cloud7

How do some of you guys get the energy to complain about everything all the time? Does it not get tiring?

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
No one is saying he is a top top striker. But the disrespect is astounding for decent players below that level. He is certainly better than ‘scraps’.

Who do you suggest we should get instead? Felix, who will need time to bed in to get used to PL and will cost 20 million for 5 months?!? That would be fecking stupid and irresponsible.
Wait, what? Felix will need time to get used to PL but WW will not? How exactly did Turkish league prepare WW for EPL more than Felix playing in La Liga?

The latest price quoted for Felix is not 20millions, but it is 10 as far as I read. WW is not exactly free either. We will have to pay Besiktas and Burnley both

He's the profile we lack, decent technically yet physically imposing, we were never going to get a Lewandoski in the January market so we could do with Wout in the mean time. From what I've seen I like that he looks relentless stark contrast to Martial (not a hater), that whole energy with that frame would be a handle with the likes of Eriksen, Bruno and Antony around to create for him. At worst he may not bang in many but with his work rate and physique he'll always be a decent option to have.
How is somebody that tall and yet horrible
in airial duels "physically imposing"?

You guys need to understand a simple fact: when no decent club in any European league wants a 30 year old striker, there is usually a reason! It's not like United discovered some hidden young gem, for feck's sake. Of course he is scraps, at 30 he is on loan at Besiktas. Since when is that United's level?

Last edited:

Suv666

If you look at his heatmap from that season, he barely got into the penalty area. I'm not completely absolving him of blame, but it seems likely he was severely inhibited by being in a struggling defensive team.

Every other season he seems to be a reliable 1 in 2 kind of striker.
Fair enough but I reckon we could have done better than Wout. Would have preferred Arnautivic if this was the profile we were going for.

Trex

He's the profile we lack, decent technically yet physically imposing, we were never going to get a Lewandoski in the January market so we could do with Wout in the mean time. From what I've seen I like that he looks relentless stark contrast to Martial (not a hater), that whole energy with that frame would be a handle with the likes of Eriksen, Bruno and Antony around to create for him. At worst he may not bang in many but with his work rate and physique he'll always be a decent option to have.

Xaviboy

Be good to try get this one in before next weekend. Option to have on bench for city and available for the 18th, for fixture added in now Vs Palace so need depth as we play Arsenal few days later.

Trex

Wait, what? Felix will need time to get used to PL but WW will not? How exactly did Turkish league prepare WW for EPL more than Felix?

The latest price quoted for Felix is not 20millions, but it is 10 as far as I read. WW is not exactly free either. We will have to pay Besiktas and Burnley both
What qualities does Felix bring that we're lacking though, we need someone who does the things Martial doesn't do well, the scrappy goals, the aerial duels, generally using his body to make defenders life a bit harder. Watching our game against Everton I came to the conclusion only Garnacho, Rashford bring that threat that danger among our current group of attackers the rest (Martial, Antony, Sancho) play like midfielders, Felix is another who is most likely to play like the later group than the former, Weghorst might not be top top quality but he'll at least offer an edge, its not like Felix is either an elite scorer or creator.

NLunited

Wait, what? Felix will need time to get used to PL but WW will not? How exactly did Turkish league prepare WW for EPL more than Felix playing in La Liga?

Wout will be there right off. He is physical and has played in PL. Also: he’s Dutch. Option to buy 10 mill.

Felix: hasn’t played in PL, players like him typically struggle at first. Price: I’m reading total cost might be 21.5 million Euros.
Obligation to buy for 70 mill. Is not a pure striker.

Last edited:

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Two seasons ago he clearly wasn’t and if another PL team had bought it at the back of that season no doubt he would have struggled. WW coming on a loan at 30 doesn’t have the time to hone his skills.
No doubt!?... Surely it depends on the club no? He signs not struggling PL club and he would obviously have banged them in. The man literally broke the Champo scoring record last season

Trex

How is somebody that tall and yet horrible
in airial duels "physically imposing"?

You guys need to understand a simple fact: when no decent club in any European league wants a 30 year old striker, there is usually a reason! It's not like United discovered some hidden young gem, for feck's sake. Of course he is scraps, at 30 he is on loan at Besiktas. Since when is that United's level?
You do realize physicality goes beyond aerial duels right.
No one's calling him a gem, its a six month loan. I'm sure if you were in ETH position you'll convince Benzema, Haaland or Lewandoski to quit their club mid season but we have ETH so we'll have to make do with the player he can get us.

Lee565

The only positive spin to put on this is choupo moting was a flop with Stoke and has since played in big games for psg and Bayern Munich, same with moise keane who flopped at Everton and has since played for psg and gone back to juve

OrcaFat

He scored two against Argentina at the World Cup. There’s every chance he could be productive for us. If he’s fit, strong and works hard, he could contribute a lot even if he doesn’t score many. He is in the right quality bracket for a cheap, short term loan that isn’t absolutely pointless.

I’d be very happy with this in the circumstances.

mu4c_20le

The only positive spin to put on this is choupo moting was a flop with Stoke and has since played in big games for psg and Bayern Munich, same with moise keane who flopped at Everton and has since played for psg and gone back to juve
Kagawa started scoring again when he went back there. Werner too. Just means it's a slower league and not all players can adapt to the PL.

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
I think he's a good battering ram style striker.

Physically imposing, hard working, strong in the air with decent technique and pretty good at bringing others into play.

I was impressed with him at the Euros and felt sure he would be a big success with Burnley, it obviously didn't work out (though I do recall him playing well early, maybe a decent performance against United?) that way but I don't think there is anything wrong with taking him for a 6 month loan in a jam packed season.

zaafi

No because he had scored bucket loads before to prove he can hack it in PL.

If he was bought in from Bundesliga and scored 4 all season then it would be a fair assumption that he’s not cut out for top flight in England.
Not saying he will be a star, but it's a sensible loan. We need a striker on loan because we can't buy anyone till the summer. Maybe we could afford Thuram but he is not good enough and would probably demand a 5 year contract. Who else would be available on loan that is better than Weghorst?

Anyway, Burnley was relegated that season. They won 7 matches out of 38, scored 34 and conceded 53. Does that scream like a team that creates a lot of chances? Even Lewandowski wouldn't score a lot of goals in 20 matches for them.
And Weghorst isn't exactly a game changer like Mbappé, Neymar, Rashford, Salah etc. He will be a target striker and needs to be in a team that creates chances, and United creates a lot of them. Very likely he will score many more goals than his period for Burnley.

Reactions: Penna

Strootman's Finger

I want to preface this by saying I am actually very much in favor of this move, but why is every transfer with United difficult? We are trying to loan a 30 year old striker that's never really played at the top, that most people are laughing at us for wanting, and it's still super complicated. Gotta cancel his current loan, with no recall, to loan him from Burnley. Can it ever just be, here's the player, here's the fee, done?

Status
Not open for further replies.