SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Probably the best (and most up to date) article I've read around the potential cures. Explains WHO's strategy (Solidarity) in getting the 4 frontrunner drugs up for testing on a larger scale as of last Friday.

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/202...al-four-most-promising-coronavirus-treatments
Not sure of the progress of WHO's research yet, but this link below may be part of it. Regardless, doctor's are testing hydroxychloroquine and the anti biotics supplement that Trump is excited about. Positive outcomes tested in 80 patients in France. Click on 'latest results' in the first paragraph of the article for the informative PDF results:

https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/927758

Withnail

That's the UK's guidance but it isn't backed by much and is different to almost all other countries. Most studies have shown you're still contagious for a week following recovery, not showing symptoms.

The 14 days was just incubation period it wasn't a figure for both as you're suggesting.
It is a bit surprising he's out of self isolation already.

In Ireland the advice is you're ok if both of 14 days since your symptoms started and 5 days since your fever broke apply to you.

17 Van der Gouw

biffa bin
I smoked for 7 years, and gave up almost five years ago. I've since got quite heavily into diet and exercise and do cardio at least 3-4 times a week.

I'm hoping I've done enough to put myself in the best possible health in case I catch Covid-19, but I can't help but wonder how much fitter I might be had I never smoked. And what damage might remain from those years.

I was 30 when I stopped, and now about to turn 35. I'm glad to not be a smoker now, that's for sure.

NotworkSte

Tampa megachurch pastor arrested after leading packed services despite 'safer-at-home' orders

https://www.fox13news.com/news/tamp...-packed-services-despite-safer-at-home-orders

The sheriff says up to 500 people were in attendance at Pastor Rodney Howard-Browne's Sunday services.

"We brought in 13 machines that basically kill every virus in the place," Howard-Browne said. "If they sneeze it shoots it down like at 100 miles per hour and it will neutralize it in a split second."
Out on bail now. They held off on executing the warrant as he claims to have 500 guns and a security detail.

NYAS

Kuwait is much the same only with even less alcohol ;). Relatively authoritarian regime have some advantages in terms of lockdown but it also isn't quite as straightforward as there are many interacting factors. And here in Australia we now have $1000 fines for first offence and up to 6 months in jail and/or a $11,000 fine for second offences for individuals failing to comply with social distancing requirements and the police have been enforcing this. Not like they would where you live but very authoritarian by our standards.

Fingers crossed we all manage to stop the spread.
That’s good news about Australia.

In terms of Kuwait I can say that I have no doubt about the numbers coming out as they have been very transparent on that front:

https://corona.e.gov.kw/En/

And were more proactive in terms of measures than the UAE.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona

Seems like Spain is flattening the curve and is going to Italy's direction

US is starting to look fecked

Dante

Average bang
Bragging about your country's authoritarianism is weird.

It's like claiming that a man who keeps his family permanently locked up in the basement is a good dad because his town gets hit by hurricanes sometimes.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Yeah, there will be the inevitable recession to look forward to after this. Until then I'll keep spamming my mate with the video of Bernard Black filling out his tax returns.

"WHAT DOES THST MEAN?! If you live in a council flat beside a river but are not...blind WHAT?!"
And as it's the Tories it'll be even worse than it needs to be for us regular folk no doubt, while rich companies continue to get away with paying little.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
General Electric Workers Launch Protest, Demand to Make Ventilators

GE workers who normally make jet engines say their facilities are sitting idle while the country faces a dire ventilator shortage.

On Monday, General Electric factory workers launched two separate protests demanding that the company convert its jet engine factories to make ventilators. At GE's Lynn, Massachusetts aviation facility, workers held a silent protest, standing six feet apart. Union members at the company’s Boston headquarters also marched six feet apart, calling on the company to use its factories to help the country close its ventilator shortage amid the coronavirus pandemic.

GE’s Healthcare Division is already one of the country’s largest manufacturers of ventilators, so union members believe that other factories could be converted to produce the life-saving devices. Hospitals around the country say that there is a critical shortage of ventilators, and many experts have implored President Trump to invoke the Defense Production Act to require companies to produce them. Trump finally decided to make General Motors produce ventilators over the weekend, the first in a series of deals that may eventually call on General Electric to increase ventilator supply.
https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/...s-walk-off-the-job-demand-to-make-ventilators

Sky1981

Fending off the urge

It's like claiming that a man who keeps his family permanently locked up in the basement is a good dad because his town gets hit by hurricanes sometimes.
This might seems foreign to you. But in some parts of the worlds we cling to them, more than the alternatives.

There are people that needs authoritarian leader to function.

Its like giving the power of choices to a 10 year olds. It might be democracy but it wont end well

Democracy would be shit for minorities. If our wellbeing is left to democracy we could be far worse.

Last edited:

Hound Dog

Supports
Whoever I bet on

It really is not.

"Democracy is a political system where your vote is worth as much as a vote of someone who does not know how to read".

So let's not pretend that it is some ultimate standard that all must strive to achieve.

Godfather

It really is not.

"Democracy is a political system where your vote is worth as much as a vote of someone who does not know how to read".

So let's not pretend that it is some ultimate standard that all must strive to achieve.
Jesus. Coming from a Serb as well that’s scary.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Tampa megachurch pastor arrested after leading packed services despite 'safer-at-home' orders

https://www.fox13news.com/news/tamp...-packed-services-despite-safer-at-home-orders

The sheriff says up to 500 people were in attendance at Pastor Rodney Howard-Browne's Sunday services.

"We brought in 13 machines that basically kill every virus in the place," Howard-Browne said. "If they sneeze it shoots it down like at 100 miles per hour and it will neutralize it in a split second."

Maybe he’s teamed up with the guys that brought us muslamic ray guns

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d

Spain isn’t flattening, just the spacing and log style of the x a six makes it look that way. They had 914 deaths yesterday, more than any single day in Italy (if memory serves)

Ok, first of all, there are massive cultural differences between Western Countries, even those in relatively close geographical proximity like the EU. Secondly, I would define collective wellfare of a society aka its people as a whole with the (albeit unrealistic) goal to care for each of its citizen as best as it can.

If I compare the general culture of the US with the one of Nordic and Central European countries like for example Germany the differences are in parts massive. This starts with Universal Healthcare, free education, far stricter labour laws (some of the strictest worldwide), a still imperfect but far stronger social safety net in cases of illness. debt, loss of home or unemployment and the list goes on and on. How can the German state afford all of this? Some of the highest employment costs in the world and taxes. Despite being an ecomonic powerhouse the average German citizen while enjoying a high standart of living is actually non that wealthy, because a lot of his/her income is used to finance the Social state. Programs like "Kurzarbeit" which protect people working in struggling companies/branches from unemployment in times of crisis are accepted by the vast majority of the population eventhough it costs billions of tax payer money. The entire retirement system is based on solidarity for people they will probably never meet which puts it in stark contrast to mid eastern countries like Turkey where the care of the elderly is put far more in the hands of the families or Asian countries like Japan where a lot of the money for the retirement comes directly from the companies they worked for.

Why is all of this largely accepted by the German public? Because culturally it values things the most in difference to other countries.According to studies the one thing that is valued the most in the US is the freedom or liberty to build your own life like you want to do. In Germany? It is safety. This is to a large part historically originated, especially from the first years post WWII, which were plagued by shortages and poverty. Eventhough many actually did not live in that time, it is still an integral part of the education and upbringing. The thought in the back of your mind that you want to be cared for if you fall in hard times and need help. This need for your own safety breeds solidarity for others, to help them in times of need so you might receive help yourself if needed.

It is by no means a more noble cultural outlook than for example the American way of life because it is ultimately motivated by a individual desire for safety, but it leads to a more society orientated thinking.

So which way is now the Western culture? There is none IMO, it is just a buzz word.

To come back to the actual topic of the thread, the desire for safety is one of the reasons why Germany has been less shaken by the virus than other countries. Besides an obvious luck factor especially the younger average age of infected people in the first wave, the German heath system runs nowhere near maximum capacity in normal times, which leaves a lot of reserves in times of crisis. The very high number of ICU beds for example in relation to other countries is simply the desire to prepare for hard times. It is normally nowhere near cost effecitve but if something really bad happens, it can save lifes-
Great response and why so many are envious of German and Nordic states. I would happily pay more tax in the UK if it meant things worked properly. But like most things I would expect greed and vested interests would get in the way and why many are adverse to paying more tax. You only had to look at the HS2 project to see what I mean. I think we were originally told it would cost around £20 billion. They now estimate it to be more like £100 billion. Yet they can’t find money in the pot to fund the NHS properly. In my lifetime my local hospital hasn’t been expanded at all yet the population increase is 4 fold. Let’s just hope they can cope with Coronavirus.
Aye, that’s why I called @NYAS a bigot yesterday. I didn’t have the lust to spell it out for him then but you two have done it perfectly here.
To bundle the US in with, for example Germany & Scandinavia is one of the most narrow minded and ignorant posts I’ve seen on these boards, they are World’s apart.

Does this bigot seriously think the likes of us in Sweden pay the most tax in the World because we only care about ourselves and our own liberties, and ”to hell with other people”?
Two of the most important things here in the nordics are the Law of Jante & Freedom to Roam, but a dude living a country with a history of Human Right abuse, that in 2020 still don’t see women as equal is the country that ”cares more about other people” as the West is, and I quote:

To hell with other people”.

What an utter crock of shite, the delusion of a person desperate to see the place he lives as ”better” in some way.

Drifter

American
Thai King flees country with 20 women,Isolates at a luxury hotel in Germany with them.

According to Bild.

Last edited:

LordNinio

Spain isn’t flattening, just the spacing and log style of the x a six makes it look that way. They had 914 deaths yesterday, more than any single day in Italy (if memory serves)
I hadn't noticed that before, the spacing is bizarre, 500, similar to the 1000 above, then the top 5000 basically the same again.

It makes the graph next to useless, as it elongates and stretches the lines at varying points.

I assume this is done to fit it into a space usable on the Internet, but it looks like it's agenda driven to make some countries look worse etc...

Edit: I'm sure it does have its uses, but for general comparison of progression it makes it pretty difficult

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
I hadn't noticed that before, the spacing is bizarre, 500, similar to the 1000 above, then the top 5000 basically the same again.

It makes the graph next to useless, as it elongates and stretches the lines at varying points.

I assume this is done to fit it into a space usable on the Internet, but it looks like it's agenda driven to make some countries look worse etc...

Edit: I'm sure it does have its uses, but for general comparison of progression it makes it pretty difficult
It's a logarithmic scale. If something's growing linearly on a log scale it's growing exponentially on a linear scale. It's very useful. That's also why you can plot in the dashed lines for different doubling times.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee

It's a standard method in science, statistics and maths, nothing to do with the internet or agendas.

The graph's curves are used to see patterns like does one person infect one person on average or three, and what is the timeline - are cases doubling every two days or every five, and so on. It might not make a lot of instant sense to everyone outside the science audience (who use it when talking about models and trends) but it's not a trick.

Hound Dog

Supports
Whoever I bet on
Jesus. Coming from a Serb as well that’s scary.
Allah. Coming from someone located in Austria as well that's scary.

Your racist comments aside, my original statement comes from my opinion of the average person; which has always been low and is plummeting as I age. The efficiency of democracy is predicated on people knowing what's good for them, which I do not believe to be the case.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
It's 7 days once you test positive to allow the virus to run its course. The 14 days are if you are in a household with somebody else with it or suspect you may have contracted it recently. That's because it can take 7 days to show symptoms and another 7 days for the virus to pass (i.e 14 days).
Yeah, except that's not true. Except UK doctors know more about the virus than entire world.

Honestly it's really not that difficult to understand. They clearly made a child sacrifice in the gardens of Buckingham Palace and Charles regained all of his lost HP points.
* 7 days is acceptable for the Affluent and like-minded superiors.
:lol:

Smores

I still think these daily graphs misrepresent the picture somewhat. Especially with regards to the US.

Much better to start each country from the point exponential growth really kicks in, some countries had a few isolated cases for weeks whilst others comparatively had rapid community spread from migration.

LordNinio

It's a logarithmic scale. If something's growing linearly on a log scale it's growing exponentially on a linear scale. It's very useful. That's also why you can plot in the dashed lines for different doubling times.
It's a standard method in science, statistics and maths, nothing to do with the internet or agendas.

The graph's curves are used to see patterns like does one person infect one person on average or three, and what is the timeline - are cases doubling every two days or every five, and so on. It might not make a lot of instant sense to everyone outside the science audience (who use it when talking about models and trends) but it's not a trick.
Of course, you're both correct. I was meaning more the use of it on general circles.

It does of course have its place in proper circles, but the average layman wouldn't really understand how to process the information.

Even fairly well educated folk will take a quick glance and could easily misinterpret the lines.

But you're both right, the graph is a perfectly acceptable form of data, and most definitely has its place

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
It really is not.

That's the exact reason that made it the ultimate standard.