WWC19 | Final: USA v Netherlands

jymufc20

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Never really a fan of this line of thinking. Wasn't a fan of it when it was being talked of in the build to England/Belgium in last summer's men's tournament. Just win your games and you'll win the tournament.

I think the logic is that player of the match should be used in the men's game too.
Fair enough, makes sense.

padr81

Supports
Man City
I was being a bit cheeky. It would probably be a massacre but at the same time the women might spend less time on the ground whining about shit.
If Brazil won the WC Neymar would've felt right at home.

Agree but I can’t help but think it would be a better sporting aesthetic if they had a smaller pitch, smaller goals and a lighter ball. To speed up the game a bit.
Smaller goals in particular would be a huge help, some of the keepers look like u-15's in full size. Smaller pitch too would be great. Maybe about 4/5th's of the size all around.

15th June

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Today's matches:
E: Netherlands vs Cameroon 2pm BBC One
E: Canada vs New Zealand 8pm - BBC red button

Netherlands and Canada won their openers 1-0 and today's games are likely to be close as well. Though a couple more goals wouldn't go amiss (I'm looking at you - Netherlands/Cameroon)

montpelier

I don't see England doing that great unless they mix it up a bit. Other teams are better at the shorter passing style than they are.

But I also think PNev is right to go with it.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
I don't see England doing that great unless they mix it up a bit. Other teams are better at the shorter passing style than they are.

But I also think PNev is right to go with it.
The Japan game should be a good test for them really - England beat them 3-0 in the SheBelieves match a couple of months back, but that was more like a Japan U21 team. That said, we scored a couple of lovely goals that night, but not from intricate build-up play and not through our short passing game.

Yesterday we had the ball for 76% of game, but our best chances (including the goal) came on the break - which is often the case even for the best of teams. If they can mix it up a bit, avoid some of the overdoing it mistakes, and improve their goalscoring ratio (17 shots last night) then they'll be a much more impressive team.

I remain hopeful though! I wrote a post last night, complaining about Kirby because she dawdled on the ball as she moved towards the area (rather than sending it wide to Mead) then having found the defence open up she didn't shoot (and by then all our attack were offside). I didn't get chance to post it though, because a minute or so later the same move happened again - this time the ball did go to Mead, first time cross and Taylor scored. :D

Last edited:

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Is Van der Sanden supposed to be good? She plays for Lyon so I'd assume so, but every game I watch her end product is dreadful.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
The last game and so far this game meidema looks quite awful to me. Looks clumsy and very overconfident without the actual ability. Now she will score.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
The last game and so far this game meidema looks quite awful to me. Looks clumsy and very overconfident without the actual ability. Now she will score.
She looked really good this season playing for Arsenal. Really good. Whether the team setup isn't working for her, or it's something else she's definitely capable of more.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
WTF is wrong with that pitch. Did they spray it with motor oil?
No, it's cos they're women and are all wearing high heels duh!

Cameroon have settled now, Dutch could have already put the game the bed with their early attacking but failed to score. Could stay 0-0 for a long time now.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
She looked really good this season playing for Arsenal. Really good. Whether the team setup isn't working for her, or it's something else she's definitely capable of more.
Yeah, she must be good to get into the team, just really hasn't shown anything this tournament to me. Don't usually watch women's football so only get to see these in the few WC games I watch.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
@jojojo what's the crack with De sanden ? Is she always this frustrating?
I've only really seen on her in a few Lyon CL games, but she's never seemed like a standout player - though her goalscoring record is very good. I don't know really, as with Miedema it may be that she needs the right formation/teammates.

I guess it may even be the Miedema/de Sanden balance that's wrong. Don't know.

She plays with Ada Hegerberg at Lyon, so that's got to be an advantage :smirk: