WWC23 | England v Spain - Spain win the World Cup - and Rubiales gets sacked

Duane Dibley

Supports
Sheffield Wednesday
Yeah, even more than the players, Wiegman needs to learn some lessons from today.

Dunno why she was so reluctant to use her bench, when she has so much quality there. The win at the Euros was largely built on her strategic use of substitutes.
I thought tactically she got it spot on after the sending off. Bright and Greenwood looked really comfortable at the back and I don't remember Earps having a save to make despite England being a player down.

Also nice to see just about the first thing Chloe Kelly did after the winning penalty was console the Nigerian keeper, don't think I've seen that before after a penalty shootout.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Happy for England and our players. Equally gutted for Nigeria. They were very much the better team.

lysglimt

Scout
Should England crash out at the end of this, I can only imagine the unprecedented level of vitriol that will get dished at her from all angles, especially in this age of social media.:annoyed:
I dont know how UK media treat female footballers - but in Scandinavia there is a completely different treatment of female vs male footballers. The criticism a male footballer get is always 5 times worse than female footballers. I have never heard anyone really tear into a female footballer in writing or live. Like Mounts miss against Lens, if a a female footballer did that, she would be unlucky or she should have done better. Whereas a male footballer is practically ridiculed.

lysglimt

Scout
Don’t think anything can be worse than Utd v Sunderland in the league cup. That was atrocious.
Clearly you dont remember Barcelonas penalties against Steaua in 1986 :) Steaua won 2-0 after penalties after Barca missed their first 4 penalties, Steaua at least scored twice out of 4 :)

RedDevilQuebecois

I dont know how UK media treat female footballers - but in Scandinavia there is a completely different treatment of female vs male footballers. The criticism a male footballer get is always 5 times worse than female footballers. I have never heard anyone really tear into a female footballer in writing or live. Like Mounts miss against Lens, if a a female footballer did that, she would be unlucky or she should have done better. Whereas a male footballer is practically ridiculed.
Good input. I guess European mentality towards female footballers is more forgiving than it would be towards male footballers. I also don't think a player has ever been singled out in the UK, but the question still remains legitimate when one knows how hard people tore into Megan Rapinoe since yesterday.

As I write this, the Aussies have doubled their lead over Denmark.

erikcred

Good input. I guess European mentality towards female footballers is more forgiving than it would be towards male footballers. I also don't think a player has ever been singled out in the UK, but the question still remains legitimate when one knows how hard people tore into Megan Rapinoe since yesterday.

As I write this, the Aussies have doubled their lead over Denmark.
I don't know how much that had to do with football.

Lightbringer

I just realized the utter shit suspension system robs us of Danielle van de Donk against Spain. And Rose missed the game for USA against Sweden. Who the feck wants to see the biggest stars watch games from the stands in a tournament that is played every 4th year? I remember Michael Ballack sitting in the stands watching Germany loose to Brazil in the final in 2002.

Van De Donks suspension is a joke, picking 2 yellow cards in 4 games earns a suspension, meh. Shit rule, I know its the same for everyone but its still shit. A rule that enables scenarios where Messi could play on after the whistle because he did not hear the referee blow because of the crowd in game 1 and get yellow carded. Then get another yellow card for example time wasting or a miss-timed tackle. and earn a suspension in the playoffs. Who the feck came up with this nonsense?

If they are going to have this bollocks, increase it from 2 to 3 yellow cards for suspension so it really repeat offenders that can get suspended. I want to see the best players compete, not sit in the stands. And also I dont want players being limited on the pitch knowing a yellow card will have them suspended the next game. Just bad all around for football and the fans!

Last edited:

Rapsel

Supports
Ajax
I just realized the utter shit suspension system robs us of Danielle van de Donk against Spain. And Rose missed the game for USA against Sweden. Who the feck wants to see the biggest stars watch games from the stands in a tournament that is played every 4th year? I remember Michael Ballack sitting in the stands watching Germany loose to Brazil in the final in 2002.

Van De Donks suspension is a joke, picking 2 yellow cards in 4 games earns a suspension, meh. Shit rule, I know its the same for everyone but its still shit. A rule that enables scenarios where Messi could play on after the whistle because he did not hear the referee blow because of the crowd in game 1 and get yellow carded. Then get another yellow card for example time wasting or a miss-timed tackle. and earn a suspension in the playoffs. Who the feck came up with this nonsense?

If they are going to have this bollocks, increase it from 2 to 3 yellow cards for suspension so it really repeat offenders that can get suspended. I want to see the best players compete, not sit in the stands. And also I dont want players being limited on the pitch knowing a yellow card will have them suspended the next game. Just bad all around for football and the fans!
I wasn't even aware it was only Donkie's second yellow. That is indeed bullsh#t.

roseguy64

Nigeria have a too small goalkeeper to have any chance on penalties, Earps have this secured.

Nigeria did not take their free chance at the quarters now they will pay the price!
Huh? Nnadozie looks bigger than Earps to me.

Yeah just checked and she's 5'11 compared to Earps who is 5' 8.

Lightbringer

Huh? Nnadozie looks bigger than Earps to me.

Yeah just checked and she's 5'11 compared to Earps who is 5' 8.
I dont let the truth get in the way of my feelings :D I was wrong. At least I was right predicting England would win the shootout.

Earps and Musovic did not save a single penalty but still won.

Wilt

Totally moronic from James and looked like she couldn’t give a feck when sent off.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Totally moronic from James and looked like she couldn’t give a feck when sent off.
Her demeanour has always been like that, whether she’s overjoyed, angry or super frustrated, she rarely shows too much emotion. I’ve seen people call her arrogant or indifferent a lot but I don’t any of those labels are accurate at all. Definitely very very silly from here though.

Wilt

Her demeanour has always been like that, whether she’s overjoyed, angry or super frustrated, she rarely shows too much emotion. I’ve seen people call her arrogant or indifferent a lot but I don’t any of those labels are accurate at all. Definitely very very silly from here though.
Will take on your view, though admittedly haven’t seen that much of her outside all the hype, but she certainly gave the impression of not being as bothered as she should have been.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
Will take on your view, though admittedly haven’t seen that much of her outside all the hype, but she certainly gave the impression of not being as bothered as she should have been.
This isnt a dig at you but we all tend to interpret others expressions and reactions based on how we would react. If we dont see a reaction we can relate to we end up coming up with our own interpretation. I thought she looked like she had realised what a screw up she had made and just wanted to get out of there asap.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
Im looking forward to seeing how France go tonight, they have been a bit inconsistent so far but they were the team I was picking to win the whole thing.

Wilt

This isnt a dig at you but we all tend to interpret others expressions and reactions based on how we would react. If we dont see a reaction we can relate to we end up coming up with our own interpretation. I thought she looked like she had realised what a screw up she had made and just wanted to get out of there asap.
Yes, can see that view.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
Really had to laugh, my 4 year old really got into watching the penalty shoot outs. Then come the end of the Aussie game, has a mini melt down when he realised there wasn't going to be one for that game.

Duane Dibley

Supports
Sheffield Wednesday
I dont let the truth get in the way of my feelings :D I was wrong. At least I was right predicting England would win the shootout.

Earps and Musovic did not save a single penalty but still won.
I've thought that from the start, just get it on target.

Given the size of the goalkeepers there's no need to try and leather it into the top corner, just place it to the side and you're almost certain to score. Some have realised that and there have been some well taken penalties but others are still going for glory and blasting it.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Disappointing so far, just too scrappy. One of the teams has to start playing, the cagey approach where both teams want to be the underdogs isn't working for either team.

That said, I guess going in level at HT in a R16 is way better than most Jamaica fans or players had expected.

Ahmer Baig

I was about to say both teams will not score they way they are playing and match will head to penalties.

And Columbia scores.

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
Bad defending but that first touch and finish was crisp as feck.

Nogbadthebad

Columbia had more quality on the ball, and it told eventually.

I don;t think either team are set up well enough to deal with the pace and movement of England though.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Columbia had more quality on the ball, and it told eventually.

I don;t think either team are set up well enough to deal with the pace and movement of England though.
Well it’s difficult to say considering the way England have played so far. It’s all good having the pace & movement but England have been pretty underwhelming themselves

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Ah shame, gutted for Jamaica. Superb effort getting this far though, after everything.

I really wanted an England v Jamaica match.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Colombia do just enough to go through. Jamaica didn't start taking risks to go forward until the last few minutes and overall Colombia were the better team.

England play Colombia in the QF on Saturday. England need to play better than they did against Nigeria. Colombia will probably enjoy going back to the underdog role and are good enough defensively to frustrate England and maybe to catch them out going forward.