g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

WWC23 | England v Spain - Spain win the World Cup - and Rubiales gets sacked

Nogbadthebad

The game ha smoved on from this US team. They don't have the tactics with this coach to deal with a tight defence.

Japan, France and England would embarass this team.

Lightbringer

Controversial opinion, but I think it's worth looking into deciding matches on 'stats' before they go to penalties. If a team has, say, 5 or more shots on target than the other team, that team should progress to the next round.

Sweden have had 1 shot on target (I think) the entire game. USA have been the ones pushing.
In my teenage years we lost 3 straight years on tied games but the opponent went through on more corner kicks to save time and not having penalties. I hated that rule. Some teams would just try to win corner early to get the tie-breaker in while we played fair and naive. It was literally horrifying to be eliminated that way.

Lightbringer

They've played most of the match without passing to a CF, so no change there :smirk:

Sweden are riding their luck, it's outrageous from them.
Musovic is in the zone, USA penalty takers will be shaking and missing the goal entirely :-)

Rapsel

Supports
Ajax
Unbelievable. Dutch TV is broadcasting WC road cycling instead of this match and even while the race is suspended temporarily because of some ecomuppets having glued themselves to the road they still don't broadcast the match instead.

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
Controversial opinion, but I think it's worth looking into deciding matches on 'stats' before they go to penalties. If a team has, say, 5 or more shots on target than the other team, that team should progress to the next round.

Sweden have had 1 shot on target (I think) the entire game. USA have been the ones pushing.
It would make the game horrific to watch. Final 20 wouldn’t even be teams trying to win the game, they’d just be shooting from miles out trying to get shots on target.

Lightbringer

The game ha smoved on from this US team. They don't have the tactics with this coach to deal with a tight defence.

Japan, France and England would embarass this team.
USA was great this game for the first 55 minutes, then they could not keep up with that pace and subbed their best player Rodman. But I would not say the USA has been bad or that this is an indication they will be crushed against other teams at all.

Superunknown

In my teenage years we lost 3 straight years on tied games but the opponent went through on more corner kicks to save time and not having penalties. I hated that rule. Some teams would just try to win corner early to get the tie-breaker in while we played fair and naive. It was literally horrifying to be eliminated that way.
Basing it on corner kicks is illogical. That's surprising that a match was decided by that metric. Seems rather foolish. Basing it on shots on target has some merit seeing as that shows at least some attempt to score a goal.

At least with shots on target you can't accuse the other team of stat padding, since you need to get shots on target to score goals anyway.

RedDevilQuebecois

Last thing the game needs is a bunch of Steven Gerrard wannabes, going for glory and yet looking like donkeys.

Pentagruel

I have to say Sweden have been largely dreadful. Very limited attacking intent. Their defense has been decent and their keeper heroic but they haven’t had much ambition. Probably US should be ahead 2-0 or so. Probably Sweden will win 1-0 now .

Lightbringer

It would make the game horrific to watch. Final 20 wouldn’t even be teams trying to win the game, they’d just be shooting from miles out trying to get shots on target.
Exactly. Thats what happened in my youth tournament when corners were tie-breaker. The other teams would hoof the ball to the corner flag and then try to rebound the ball on our players to corner instead of trying to score. It was literally the worst thing to watch and the feeling of being eliminated on corners made me want to quit football.

Superunknown

Have you seen this match? Sweden have offered nothing all game.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
I think it’s just a matter of time before the U.S. is ahead in this game. Sweden are so sloppy.

Nogbadthebad

When you look at the best of the womens teams, there is clever movement all over at the front, and that is the difference.

Sweden havn;t been good, but the US play so predictably they really don't have to be.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
This is hilarious just for the fact that people are up in the USA at 5am. All we need now is a penalty shootout loss

Lightbringer

USA penalty takers coming on, they will be heart crushed in 10 minutes - Musovic will smoke them like bad cigars :cool:

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
This is hilarious just for the fact that people are up in the USA at 5am. All we need now is a penalty shootout loss
Its a World Cup knockout game. Why wouldn’t people who follow the team be up?
True about losing in penalties though, Alexi Lalas losing his mind over losing is always something to look forward to.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Its a World Cup knockout game. Why wouldn’t people who follow the team be up?
True about losing in penalties though, Alexi Lalas losing his mind over losing is always something to look forward to.
I am not blaming them but just laughing at having to go through this at 4am. I used to watch United Cl games at similar times

Nogbadthebad

I have to say though, as stale as the |US have been going forward, we should be trying to sign Smith, she has the potential to be th ebest striker in the women's game, a natural finisher.

Lightbringer

I have to say though, as stale as the |US have been going forward, we should be trying to sign Smith, she has the potential to be th ebest striker in the women's game, a natural finisher.
Smith and Rodman, Glazers - PAY UP you greedy fecks!

Rapsel

Supports
Ajax
USA going through in second place from their group was brutal for the Netherlands fans TV watching as well. Football eh.
Let me assure you I was vast asleep and started the day with the highlights.