g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

WWC23 | England v Spain - Spain win the World Cup - and Rubiales gets sacked

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
So she could be back for the final if England get there. Nice. Glad her tournament isn’t over just yet.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Rooting for the Dutch. If their men can't win a a WC by being 2nd or 3rd best so often, then the women should be saved from the same fate. Being the perennial bridesmaid is never fun im sure.

Lost bear

Oh lovely goal there by Spain. Shame it was offside . I’m kind of rooting for the Netherlands there as I have several Dutch friends, but have to admit Spain are playing better football.

Lost bear

The Spanish women seem to play the most like the men from what I've seen this tourney. Very efficient passers.
Yeah, they’re impressive players, nice tidy passers and good press. Flashes of excellent skill too.

RedDevilQuebecois

That's a penalty to Spain. How scatterbrained was Van der Gragt on that?:houllier: :nono:

edit: That defender is 30 years old. What is up with veterans playing like crap in this World Cup?

Sianti

That was probably inside, but that angle the VAR showed was very much in favour of Spain. Shouldn't they at least have looked at more angles?

Redplane

That Dutch PK call should have never been overturned but at the same time you can't say Spain don't deserve the lead here.

I still think Japan is the only team that has truly looked impressive this WC so id be surprised if they dont win it all.

Lightbringer

I hope they show the proof that was not offside on the 1-1 and did not just keep as a pity move. Felt really odd there was not a longer check on that!

Nice shot though!

Lightbringer

The penalty Netherlands got denied would also have resulted in a red card for the Spain defender. If it was a penalty it would be red card as well. I´d rather have that be a non-call than both red and a penalty. VAR is doing great actually.

RedDevilQuebecois

Great shot by Paralluelo to find the back of the net, but that was very poorly played by the Dutch defender too.

Joel Miller

What on earth was the Dutch defender thinking showing the Spaniard onto the stronger foot? Was really dreadful defending.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
I am a soldier of Salma Paralluelo. What a World Cup she is doing! :drool:
I woke up late and only saw the extra time. I don't know how the rest of the match went but the Netherlands had two very very good chances.
A pity that Alexia is not 100% (I guess that's the reason for her lack of minutes), every time she touches the ball she does something good.
I guess with a semi-final the girls won't be able to get rid of Vilda in their life.

Redplane

Good game. Final score more or less accurately reflected the balance across the entire game. Beerensteyn will rue missing those chances and Miedema is probably punching a wall somewhere.

Vanrouge

I am a soldier of Salma Paralluelo. What a World Cup she is doing! :drool:
I woke up late and only saw the extra time. I don't know how the rest of the match went but the Netherlands had two very very good chances.
A pity that Alexia is not 100% (I guess that's the reason for her lack of minutes), every time she touches the ball she does something good.
I guess with a semi-final the girls won't be able to get rid of Vilda in their life.
Barcelona player, no? She did so well when she came on, and what a great moment for a teenager, but Hermoso was astoundingly good. Ona Batlle too.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Barcelona player, no? She did so well when she came on, and what a great moment for a teenager, but Hermoso was astoundingly good. Ona Batlle too.
Yes, at Barça. In the starting team there were 6 Barcelona players and 3 Madrid players. Even Madrid's goalkeeper, Misa Rodríguez, well known to the fans, lost her place after the match against Japan.
I also like Hermoso a lot,she already did very well in the previous World Cup.

Lightbringer

Watching Spains game I felt only love for Ona. Watching Englands games I feel only contempt for Russo :nono:

Russo really burned bridges with her "so called favorite clubs" fan base, to put it mildly.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
We could've won that with Miedema upfront. Looks like a deserved result all in all though (judging from extended highlights).

Lightbringer

We could've won that with Miedema upfront. Looks like a deserved result all in all though (judging from extended highlights).
Shots were like 13-1 Spain at one time so yes, better team advanced. Just a shame we had so many sh1t teams on the other half of the playoff tree. I would like seeding to take place before knock out rounds or something.

Last edited:

Lightbringer

OMG. Olivia Schough of sweden has a yellow card into the quartertfinals. you are seriously telling me a player is suspended for the semi-finals if they get 2 yellow cards out 3 group games and 16th finals and quarter finals? What an absolute joke! The people behind this rule really must want the best players of the world to miss the best games!