WWC23 | England v Spain - Spain win the World Cup - and Rubiales gets sacked

Member 101269

I can see why you think jordan peterson is a smart guy who should be respected.

You seem to fail to understand very basic stuff and try to hide by using expressions hard to define or that have no meaning at all.
It's not me who has said JP is smart, he's recognised by academic peers.

Basis stuff? I'm not hiding behind anything, I've posed a question, I'll understand if you cannot navigate the question.

Stop. You aren't helping yourself.
You have your view, i have mine.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
It's not me who has said JP is smart, he's recognised by academic peers.

Basis stuff? I'm not hiding behind anything, I've posed a question, I'll understand if you cannot navigate the question.
You think you're being smart but you're really very transparent.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Is the lgbt/women lobby pressuring him to do this? What a traitor to his culture...
Well, as you probably know (I think you are Portuguese?) there is a very active and polemic ministry of equality that is pushing hard, although on this side even the hardest line of vox, beyond opus dei, has stated that it is a rudeness worthy of resignation, but yes, Borja has already had feminist details in the past and seems quite combative in that aspect.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
Well, as you probably know (I think you are Portuguese?) there is a very active and polemic ministry of equality that is pushing hard, although on this side even the hardest line of vox, beyond opus dei, has stated that it is a rudeness worthy of resignation, but yes, Borja has already had feminist details in the past and seems quite combative in that aspect.
I'm just poking fun at the suggestion any of this is culturally acceptable.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
There you go @Figgins, political parties from left to (extreme) right think the act is worth of resignation. Also, kissing on the mouth is not something you just do in Spain, much less in corporate settings.

I'm really not sure what you have left to argue for at this point. Behind the barrage of impenetrable words, it seemed you were looking for applicable social and cultural contexts to be taken into account. Well, all this news is coming from Spain, so I think we can consider that about as covered as it can ever be.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
"She was the one who lifted me up in her arms and pulled me close to her body, I said, "A little kiss? And she said, ok(...)"

Ragnar123

Supports
Barcelona
"She was the one who lifted me up in her arms and pulled me close to her body, I said, "A little kiss? And she said, ok(...)"
Yes, very believable coming from a guy, who had grabbed his testicles 10 minutes earlier, celebrating the victory.

harrington

Supports
Aston Villa
Meh, beaten because you tried to play like Wimbledon from the 80s. Spain found their passes, England got what they deserved in this match. Do they always play this style? It’s regressive
Spain had a great deal of possession that added up to one goal (yes, yes, 'they only needed one'), one that effectively stemmed from Bronze's rush of blood to the head (I don't think she'd have done that playing against any other team: that was a bit of her trying to impress her Barca teammates: "Bet you didn't know your Aunty Lucy had this sort of thing up her sleeve!"), and they were nervy enough at 1-0 for the taker of their awarded penalty to hit - irrespective of whether Earps was slightly off her line or not - a heavy-legged effort. As was shown earlier in the tournament, a really wily team can very effectively counter the Spanish keepie-ball-y game: from memory Japan had a possession percentage below 30 against Spain, but thoroughly avoided being sapped by Spain's blood-draining tactics, scoring four fine counter-raid goals in the process. England might've been trying to do 'a Japan' to some extent, but without being able to consistently execute across the team the same tidy control, and/or without being able to match the same utter collective cooperation and unity (are you taking note, Lucy Bronze?).

Fair dos, though: you lose the biggest game you can play in, playing (relative to what you once played) a more progressive game, and it will always allow the anti-England crowd to once again roll out the old chestnut about protean continental flair besting a team of cloggers who act like they've just charged over the top of a trench and who still shoulder-barge goalies into the net.

Last edited:

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Good breakdown (Twitter thread) of the press conference in English (I think, maybe @carvajal can confirm if accurate?)

everything is correct, although there has been a statement from Barcelona criticizing his words in the assembly (but not asking for his resignation).
In any case there is a lot of nepotism so I don't know if there will be so many shows of support. Rubiales' father was mayor with the PSOE (the government party) and it is said that if they continue to pressure him there could be leaks or news about the president. My bet is they won't be able to kick him out

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Betis striker who has been called up twice for the national team - so someone who's really got something to lose with this decision.
I respect that step. At least he’s doing something.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
DDG, Isco, Casillas have all made some sort of statement but they're either retired or not part of the Spain squad. Will probably need the established regulars like Gavi, Rodri, Simon to speak up (but they may also fear banishment from the national team)

frostbite

I'm surprised we don't have a legion of bellends claiming he's innocent until proven guilty in court.
They probably don't follow women's football. But if this story becomes bigger (and I hope it will) they will show up and claim that there was nothing wrong, we didn't watch the full video and there is another angle that exonerates this creep Rubiales. And anyway, he is not guilty of any crimes, right? Is there a law against what he did? And if there is, why don't they go to court? And even if he is guilty, he needs a second chance (to show the world he is a great kisser! )

(It's sarcasm... )

Charrockero

Supports
Chivas de Guadalajara
everything is correct, although there has been a statement from Barcelona criticizing his words in the assembly (but not asking for his resignation).
In any case there is a lot of nepotism so I don't know if there will be so many shows of support. Rubiales' father was mayor with the PSOE (the government party) and it is said that if they continue to pressure him there could be leaks or news about the president. My bet is they won't be able to kick him out
Spanish Liga and Federation systems are both corrupt to the core right?

The Rubiales - Piqué leaks a year ago were indeed private corruption and Conflic of Interest, why didn't the clubs pressure into his resignation back then? I don't see them do it it now so I would also vouch that they have some interest having Rubiales in place. Was Piqué's Andorran team ever warned with inhabilitation?

In any other company compliance structure, Rubiales would have been sacked (among with other people), maybe even criminally investigated, and a Code of Conduct would have been enforced and implemented among the whole structure of the Spanish Federation to avoid such acts again.

Just to be clear, this kiss is sexual abuse and shall be punished. But why hasn't any media thought that this whole mess could have been avoided if he was fired a year ago for corruption scandals? Was it really necessary for Spanish media to wait long enough for Rubiales to f*** off again so they finally turn the heat on him again?

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
can’t even force a woman into a kiss she doesn’t want these days.

no way does a man get to his age without showing what a creep he is. whoever helped put him in the position he made it to needs to go as well.

Dan_F

I actually didn't think much to the kiss when I saw the clip on the news earlier but if the player(s) has an issue then it's right for him to go. It's not up to him to decide if it was a problem.
Easiest way of viewing it is whether you think he’d have done that to Xavi, Iniesta etc. It was very distasteful.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
Easiest way of viewing it is whether you think he’d have done that to Xavi, Iniesta etc. It was very distasteful.
why would they be playing for the women’s team?

OmarUnited4ever

Can't they just fire him for misconduct? He is kinda disgusting for that unwanted kiss on the lips he subjected the unassuming lady to

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
He's been accused in the past of corruption and misuse of funds. He relies on nepotism to build a circle of support around him and he has a track record of disrespect and harassment towards his female staff in particular.

He's under criminal investigation on the corruption and misuse of funds issues. RFEF are paying his lawyers so he can sue the woman who raised complaints of sexual harassment.

He's firmly in the camp of deny everything, insult people who disagree and threaten to ruin the careers of people who cross him. In this case, he finds a ready group of believers in men who share his views that women who work for him are lesser beings who need to be put in their place - even on the day they won a World Cup.

Why the silence from the press and the clubs? For a reporter, things like withdrawing a press pass for a big event or not inviting you to the training ground is the difference between being an in-the-know and a has-been. For the clubs he controls their relationships with UEFA and FIFA, he can influence their schedule and allocate their referees.

Despite that, some clubs have complained about him - now and in the past. Hopefully the wheels well continue to turn and he and his mates will get pushed out of power, but the applause that followed his statements this morning says that it's not going to be easy.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Can't they just fire him for misconduct? He is kinda disgusting for that unwanted kiss on the lips he subjected the unassuming lady to
The people inside the RFEF executive who would have to fire him (or more likely agree a deal with him to leave) were mostly appointed by him or have been protected by him in the past. He's not alone in this and he knows it.

Unless the biggest of the big clubs (Real Madrid and Barcelona) come out strongly in favour of him getting sacked, smaller clubs will be nervous of offending him. The regional FAs rely on his funding decisions and their leaders are all approved by him. It's not easy to break free of that.

The Spanish government are now looking at ways of removing him but they'll want to get FIFA cooperation to do it as "political interference" can get the Spanish national teams banned from international football.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff

The WWC23 squad + the players who left the team last year after complaining last year (including United's Lucia Garcia) + other recent callups and players on the fringe of the squad have signed the letter saying they won't play for the national team while Rubiales remains in place.

Plastic Evra

The WWC23 squad + the players who left the team last year after complaining last year (including United's Lucia Garcia) + other recent callups and players on the fringe of the squad have signed the letter saying they won't play for the national team while Rubiales remains in place.
It's getting hard to spin this as ungrateful, rowdy players allergic to discipline (which I suppose was maybe the angle last year).