Xherdan Shaqiri | Stoke player signs for Liverpool

Status
Not open for further replies.

PoTMS

He's average as they come. Good price considering how crazy the market is but hardly going to make a difference to the overall quality of Liverpool. Anyone getting annoyed or jealous really shouldn't as he'd just be another bang average squad player at United and Lord knows we have our fair share of them.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Whoscored's rating is a comprehensive and unbiased statistics index, if you want to discredit it for a particular player you need a very concrete tactical explanation for that imho.
The whoscored centre back pairing for the Premier League team of the season was Tomkins and Mustafi.
:lol: That's a KO

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
For 13 million pounds he'd be a great signing to have coming off the bench and also as a replacement for Mane or Salah. Klopp improved Chamberlain to make him also look like a more than decent player so maybe he can do the same to Shaqiri (though given Shaqiri isn't his first choice, you maybe think Klopp himself doesn't have a lot of faith in him).

Zlatattack

Decent squad player for a team like Liverpool or even Arsenal. We're fully stocked with average players.

StillPlayingFooty

Supports
Liverpool FC
from #FekirFriday to #ShaqiriSunday

:lol:
That is hilarious in a way!

He's average as they come. Good price considering how crazy the market is but hardly going to make a difference to the overall quality of Liverpool. Anyone getting annoyed or jealous really shouldn't as he'd just be another bang average squad player at United and Lord knows we have our fair share of them.
Like you said he ain't setting any pulses racing, but could be the sort of quality squad option to rotate with Mane/Salah. And most of all "happy" to play second fiddle.

Every time I have seen him he has been quite ok. He has his moments. If he joins Liverpool let's hope he has a lot more of those moments.

Trizy

I wouldn't mind Shaqiri at United. It'd be just a bench signing though, he shouldn't be the level we aspire to have as a starter.

Would make an excellent sub.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
If that release clause is true, then it's a good buy for Liverpool. That sort of money buys you next to nothing in the market now.

He's very talented, but like with a lot of wingers, he's painfully inconsistent, but when he turns up, he is decent. He'd be adequate backup for their wide positions and a good impact player in those situations when Liverpool pin the opposition back and need a goal. His all round game is average at best, but he's good at getting the ball behind a defender and getting that yard to burst in to the box.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Don't think he'll join them. Strikes me as a guy who wants to play, at Liverpool he'd play 15 games this season if he's lucky, and even fewer once Ox comes back

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
Not to be that guy, but Pogba wasnt good enough for us, went to Juve, then we paid through the nose for him. Salah wasnt good enough for chelsea, now look at him. Lukaku wasnt good enough for chelsea, we paid 75 mil for him.

Was he not good enough, or was it that he didnt fit the tactical layout of the squad? Would he fit ours? forget the name, forget the money, will he make us better fitting in to the RW for us? Will he do better having a better class of player around him?

At 12 mil(if thats the right number), he could be a steal, or he could be an inexpensive flop thats sold on easy. Not much to lose.
He isnt a Pogba or Salah

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
I think people calling him bang average are quite wide of the mark, he is quick and his technical ability is there for all to see. His problem is consistency and work rate, for the rumoured £14M and his relatively young age there isn’t much risk involved. Would I want him at Spurs? Probably not though.

Speedy30

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
Shaqiri would be a relatively inexpensive gamble who is already better than out current cover for Salah and Mane (I.e no one).
I always liked him before he joined Stoke and although I don't think he'll ever be a great, he could be a very useful player to have around much like Dirk Kuyt was.
He's a threat and would give us something from the bench that we are sorely lacking.
Good signing who may suprise us all like Robertson for £8m has.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
Neither were they, until they were.
Mate that logic doesnt work for every player. If you want to be that simplistic then Pogba wasnt good enough for one big club, which is wrong anyway because we wanted to keep him, Salah wasn't good enough for one big club but Shakiri wasnt good enough for two big clubs and ended up at Stoke.

Reddy Rederson

Mate that logic doesnt work for every player. If you want to be that simplistic then Pogba wasnt good enough for one big club, which is wrong anyway because we wanted to keep him, Salah wasn't good enough for one big club but Shakiri wasnt good enough for two big clubs and ended up at Stoke.
Which doesn’t mean anything in that context. There could be a million reasons why it didn’t work out for him at those clubs. If we dont take chances, we don’t find diamonds in the ruff. Yeah, he could be a worthless exercise, but at the price quoted for him he’s got to be a better option than the false winger we’ve been playing for I don’t know how long. If we have our eye on a right winger that’s better, then fair enough, but if not, feck it. It’s only 12 mil. There’s not a whole lot of gamble to be taken.

NoPace

Would be a good squad-purchase for Liverpool if the release clause rumor is true.
They need some backup options up front that are value for money since their first team desperately needs heavy investment at the GK position and if possible a top class CB to pair with VvD.
Agreed. Seems weird to think they'd spend big on an attacker before upgrading the keeper, Lovren or even a RB.

If you figure Keita and Fabinho will start then only one of Oxlade-C (fantastic stats for them as a CM) or Lallana needs to be healthy and in form for them to have a strong trio in midfield and there's still Milner (did set the Champions League record for assists this year) and Henderson who aren't bad, Alexander-Arnold is young and did make the England squad, and Wijnaldum as depth.

Really, their squad needs an attacker (their front 3 are pretty versatile so anyone who Klopp rates for his system should be fine), a keeper, a CB and probably an RB to really be complete and if they want close to a sure thing at each position that's 150-200M in spending and if they can't do that after the spending they've already done then a cheap release clause for someone like Shaqiri (who is 26 and coming off a solid season) to fill one hole cheaper makes a lot of sense, as would buying someone capable of playing 2 spots (which they may have done with Fabinho who can start at RB if Henderson improves, which at 27 as DM he could do) like Pavard to start at CB or RB and let Lovren, Clyne and Alexander-Arnold in effect compete for the final spot in the 4 man backline next to Robertson, Van Dijk and Pavard.

cyberman

This forum has a real fascination with signing cheap players.
Oh he's a good signing at that price etc. Why? You're still bringing Shaqiri off the bench when looking for a goal.
It's a that'll have to do signing, the same way we might have to settle for Auntovich (that spelling isn't even close)
Liverpool need a Bernardo Silva type, somebody who can play along the front line that lessens the need for bodies on the bench.
Lingard plays that role for us.
If money is an issue then maybe Klopp shouldn't have tried to spend 160 odd million on 3 players in their midfield if Fekir didn't turn out to be made of glass.
Add in Ox and you have near 200m!

RoyTrenneman

Supports
River,MN UFC,BVB,FC Seoul
Shaqiri isn't the one for me. Average player and not likely to get a lot better. Better off investing in a versatile young player that can sub for any of the 3. Shaqiri is nearly 27, and while that's not old, he's probably near his peak capability.

And I don't think he's as much a bargain as it seems if his price is 12M. Stoke bought him for 15. Is it worth "saving" 3-4M if you lose out on a chance to get a younger player with the potential to become top class by giving Shaqiri a place in the squad?

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
I wouldn't mind shaqiri. He has the talent, albeit never fully realised. He has experience at big clubs, experience in the league. And he knows that this is his last shot at the big times. Prime candidate for the Klopp treatment.

B20

Supports
Liverpool
And I don't think he's as much a bargain as it seems if his price is 12M. Stoke bought him for 15. Is it worth "saving" 3-4M if you lose out on a chance to get a younger player with the potential to become top class by giving Shaqiri a place in the squad?
Prices now are way different than when stoke bought him. 12m isn't going to give you anything these days.

The question is rather - Is it worth skimping on the level of player we are looking for at centreback and goalkeeper, just to get a younger player with potential to play backup for the front three?

Havak

Pokemon master
I think he'd be a good squad player for Liverpool, he'll definitely move to a Premier League Club and it should probably be one which is likely to finish in the top half. A team like Leicester, Everton, or Newcastle would probably suit him well, although Burnley would be a good move for him due to European football and that he'd definitely still be the big fish in a small pond so to speak (like he was at Stoke). If he moves to Liverpool, he's unlikely to get many starts but he should know that well in advance of any potential move.

Henry Gaervell

If he is available for less than £15million.then it is defintely worth a punt. It needs to be made clear in advance though that he is being bought as a rotation option initially and will need to work his socks off to nail down a place.

He was one of the fee shining lights for Stoke, is competent on the right wing and has the versatility to play across the front line. I'd rather have a Mahrez or a Willian as our starting right winger, but this isn't a bad (and cheap) compromise if those deals are not possible - it would be a huge improvement on what we have now.

RoyTrenneman

Supports
Prices now are way different than when stoke bought him. 12m isn't going to give you anything these days.

The question is rather - Is it worth skimping on the level of player we are looking for at centreback and goalkeeper, just to get a younger player with potential to play backup for the front three?
Hasn't changed that much, IMO. 15m didn't get you much then either apparently if it got you Shaqiri. :)

I'm not honestly sure what Liverpool is looking at for GK or CB anymore. Apparently priced out of Alisson for the time being, haven't heard much about CB at all to be honest, and if Fekir is not happening there's money to spend on better than Shaqiri.

Gelson Martins for free or near free, or Malcom would both be better options that wouldn't be prohibitively expensive.

B20

Supports
Liverpool
Hasn't changed that much, IMO. 15m didn't get you much then either apparently if it got you Shaqiri. :)

I'm not honestly sure what Liverpool is looking at for GK or CB anymore. Apparently priced out of Alisson for the time being, haven't heard much about CB at all to be honest, and if Fekir is not happening there's money to spend on better than Shaqiri.

Gelson Martins for free or near free, or Malcom would both be better options that wouldn't be prohibitively expensive.
Shaqiri isn't the alternative to Fekir. He's an addition.

TheFlagStaysDown

Supports
Shamrock rovers
He will be a great advanced midfielder in a midfield three in Liverpool team, a nice upgrade on Lallana for cheap, if he fails he is not expensive at all so worht a punt

RoyTrenneman

Supports
Shaqiri isn't the alternative to Fekir. He's an addition.
That assumes that Fekir is still in the frame. Otherwise, there's no reason to cheap out on Shaqiri.

Status
Not open for further replies.