Yankees

Tabata

Likes threads entitled 'Torres Signs' & welches on
Sox are trying to get Gagne as well.
Yep, I would think a lot of teams are going for Gagne.

But just thinking about a one-two punch of Gagne-Papelbon or Gagne-Mo just makes you... :eek:

Noy yo Fdart

Sorry new yawkehs, we got him. okajima-gagne-delcarmen-papelbon = six innings for all of our starters for the next two months = better starting pitchers than yours in the playoffs = (probable first round drop out) *coughcough* I mean, uh, world series???

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Sorry new yawkehs, we got him. okajima-gagne-delcarmen-papelbon = six innings for all of our starters for the next two months = better starting pitchers than yours in the playoffs = (probable first round drop out) *coughcough* I mean, uh, world series???
:lol: See you in the play-offs.

Noy yo Fdart

in other news, giambi may get back in the lineup. how exciting. the bronx is burning indeed. go yankees.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
:lol: Sox and Cleveland lost today while the Yankees aka the 26ers won. its only a matter of time now. 3 games back

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
The year the Yanks beat the Mets in the Subway Series? :confused:

Thanks to the Sawks for taking Gagne off our hands and giving up a pretty good player plus two other prospects (the odds against them ever making it to the "show"). I'm hoping in a few years this will be another Larry Anderson for Jeff Bagwell deal.

Tabata

It's a little sad comeback from Sox fans these days after having to hear about 1918 for so long

MrMarcello

It's a little sad comeback from Sox fans these days after having to hear about 1918 for so long
But wouldn't a better dig be 2004?

So sad that despite Boston's magical year of 2004, a Sawks fan uses 2000 as his dig. A whole 6 years without a title... wow! Try 86!

Noy yo Fdart

:lol: Sox and Cleveland lost today while the Yankees aka the 26ers won. its only a matter of time now. 3 games back
I predicted on the last page that the Yankees would win the feckin wild card. we're still ahead of you and will remain that way. why don't you post a laughing smilie as another scathing insult? I'm dying over here.

What is it again? One World Series title in the last 89 years?

:lol::lol::lol:
oof... I'm dreadfully hurt. I have never heard this original and creative comeback before. tell me something else I don't know!

Thanks to the Sawks for taking Gagne off our hands and giving up a pretty good player plus two other prospects (the odds against them ever making it to the "show"). I'm hoping in a few years this will be another Larry Anderson for Jeff Bagwell deal.
it's also the year tabata and desert eagle decided to start rooting for the yankees.

enjoy gabbard, I guess. I guess that means you're a rangers fan (which perplexes me considering you love to hate on me and team up with the other yankee morons). I don't know why you would want to get rid of gagne, but considering you rarely have a lead to save then I guess you don't really need him. he will provide excellent cover for an already top bullpen; he's one of the big names in relief pitching. gabbard is good; he hasn't lost any games so far this year and he will probably be looked back upon if this season goes well as an important bit-part stand in for schilling. he served us well and it will be interesting to see how he develops. a low ball pitcher in a home run park will serve you guys well. I don't know if you're gonna see cy youngs in the future but you need all the pitching you can get. you offloaded some big names over the block but I think they were the right moves. now if you really are a rangers fan then I don't see why you continue to lord over me.

how many years have you been a yankees fan? was it a crush on jeter that started your support? go feck yourself.

But wouldn't a better dig be 2004?

So sad that despite Boston's magical year of 2004, a Sawks fan uses 2000 as his dig. A whole 6 years without a title... wow! Try 86!
yeah, I could mention the worst postseason collapse in history as a comeback but I'll refrain because apparently it was just "good luck" or something, right? at least I've been alive and watching my team for a large number of years before we won the world series as opposed to the other faggots over here.

and before I get this life-long bronx-residence bullshit.... you're posting on a manchester united message board. shut the feck up.

Tabata

oof... I'm dreadfully hurt. I have never heard this original and creative comeback before. tell me something else I don't know!
:smirk: Yep, because 2000 is such an original and creative comeback also :lol:

It's also the year tabata and desert eagle decided to start rooting for the yankees.

how many years have you been a yankees fan? was it a crush on jeter that started your support? go feck yourself.
Who said I was a Yankee fan?

Oh and yes, go feck yourself too.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
I predicted on the last page that the Yankees would win the feckin wild card. we're still ahead of you and will remain that way. why don't you post a laughing smilie as another scathing insult? I'm dying over here.

:lol:

The sox aren't gonna win the series this year

it's also the year tabata and desert eagle decided to start rooting for the yankees.

And you know this how? Sad really.

yeah, I could mention the worst postseason collapse in history as a comeback but I'll refrain because apparently it was just "good luck" or something, right? at least I've been alive and watching my team for a large number of years before we won the world series as opposed to the other faggots over here.

and before I get this life-long bronx-residence bullshit.... you're posting on a manchester united message board. shut the feck up.
Have you ever been to Old trafford? Plastic.

Noy yo Fdart

yes I have been to old trafford actually.

I never claimed a world series.

I'm not arguing anymore. I win by default every time.

MrMarcello

Clemens got knocked out in the 2nd inning today, giving up 8 runs. The Yanks have mounted a quick comeback, scoring 6 (so far) in the bottom half of the inning.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Bottom of the 6th its 11-8 to chicago. Cleveland and Boston will both win today so unless the Yanks mount a comeback it'll be 3 games back.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
2nd inning in the yankees game saw 16 runs scored. Do you guys reckon thats the most ever?

MrMarcello

From Wiki

The Curse of Donnie Baseball

The New York Yankees won the American League pennant in 1981. In 1982, the team called up Don Mattingly from the minor leagues. The Yanks failed to win a pennant for his entire career. His last season as an active player was 1995. The Yankees won the World Series in 1996. Despite such achievements as the American League's batting title in 1984, its Most Valuable Player Award in 1985, and a team record for most hits in a season in 1986, with 238, Mattingly never appeared on a pennant-winning team.

The Yankees won the World Series in 1996, the first year Mattingly wasn't in uniform since they won the pennant without him in 1981. In 1997, the Yankees retired Mattingly's uniform number 23 and dedicated a plaque in his honor that would rest in Monument Park at Yankee Stadium. That season, the Yankees finished second in the American League Eastern Division to the Orioles, and it remains the last season (through 2006) in which the Yankees did not win the division title. The next season, 1998, the Yankees began a run of five American League pennants in six seasons, ending with the 2003 World Series. Despite losing in the World Series, the Yankees dramatically won the AL pennant in 2003 in an extra inning Game 7 against the Boston Red Sox.

In 2004, Mattingly was hired as the team's hitting instructor. The Yankees were one game away from winning the American League pennant, when they had a historic meltdown, being the first team in Major League history to lose a 7-game series after being up three games to none to the Boston Red Sox, thus setting the stage for the Sox to end the Curse of the Bambino against St. Louis in the World Series. In the next season on the job, the Yankees again failed to win the pennant despite winning their division and having the highest payroll in baseball.

This has led to the suggestion that the Yankees will never win a pennant as long as Mattingly is in uniform. Between their first pennant in 1921 and 1981, and again from 1996 to 2003, a total of 69 seasons, the Yankees won 39 American League pennants, or 56 percent of the available pennants. In the 16 seasons in which Mattingly has been in a Yankee uniform (1982 to 1995 and 2004 to 2006), the Yankees have never won. Unless, of course, you count in the 2000 season, when Mattingly returned to Yankee Stadium to play in his first Old Timer's day.

Despite this supposed curse, Mattingly remains immensely popular among Yankee fans for standing as the man who upheld the Yankee legacy through a dark period in team history in terms of competitiveness and front-office upheaval. Yankee broadcaster Michael Kay has said, "Don Mattingly may be the most popular athlete in New York City history."

Tabata

There are no such things as curses.

Don't believe me?

Just ask Noy yo Fdart :smirk:

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Yankees won yesterday though A-rod i still stuck on 499. I have a feeling he will reach 500 tonight. we are2.5games behind the Tigers for the wild card.

Tabata

Yankees won yesterday though A-rod i still stuck on 499. I have a feeling he will reach 500 tonight. we are2.5games behind the Tigers for the wild card.
He'll do it in this KC series IMO.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Glavine got his 300th win against the Cubs. With Cleveland and Detroit slumping that Wildcard spot is looking good.

Tabata

David Beckham was at the Yankees game today in Toronto.

Tabata

Cairo was DFA today for Giambi.

Bruney was sent down for Joba as well!?

FresnoBob

Marcello:
My theory on the Yankees also involves a curse--but doesn't include Don Mattingly. I call it "The Curse of the Iron Horse."
When Lou Gerhig was being buried back in June of 1941, the then manager of the Yankees, Joe McCarthy, said that there would never be another captain of the Yanks. They played without one until the mid-70s, winning a lot of Series in the interim.
After the failures post 1964 to get into the Series, Steinbrenner finally named Thurman Munson captain circa 1976. While the Yanks did win the series in 1977 and 78, Munson then died in that small plane crash in August of 1979 (cue conspiracy theorists). With other team members being named captain, the Yanks lost the 1981 Series, then disappeared into playoff purgatory until around 1995.
They then had the hot streak from 1996 to 2000, winning four series and setting a record for the number of consecutive wins in the post-season classic. These wins were accomplished without a captain.
Since then, Jeter has been named the team captain and the Yanks have gagged in the playoffs or series ever since. The answer is clear--if the Yankees want to win number 27, then have Jeter resign as captain and declare the Number 4, the old Iron Horse is the permanent Yankee Captain.

Tabata

Marcello:
My theory on the Yankees also involves a curse--but doesn't include Don Mattingly. I call it "The Curse of the Iron Horse."
When Lou Gerhig was being buried back in June of 1941, the then manager of the Yankees, Joe McCarthy, said that there would never be another captain of the Yanks. They played without one until the mid-70s, winning a lot of Series in the interim.
After the failures post 1964 to get into the Series, Steinbrenner finally named Thurman Munson captain circa 1976. While the Yanks did win the series in 1977 and 78, Munson then died in that small plane crash in August of 1979 (cue conspiracy theorists). With other team members being named captain, the Yanks lost the 1981 Series, then disappeared into playoff purgatory until around 1995.
They then had the hot streak from 1996 to 2000, winning four series and setting a record for the number of consecutive wins in the post-season classic. These wins were accomplished without a captain.
Since then, Jeter has been named the team captain and the Yanks have gagged in the playoffs or series ever since. The answer is clear--if the Yankees want to win number 27, then have Jeter resign as captain and declare the Number 4, the old Iron Horse is the permanent Yankee Captain.
No, if the Yankees want to win number 27, they have to get better pitching.

Tabata

Hey how about this one...

"The Curse of Luis Gonzalez"

:smirk:

Noy yo Fdart

ouch. thank god we're at home to tampa for three.

after this week I think things will be much more clear.

I'm not worried much yet.