Young to get 1 year extension

Christie

You can't have two right backs that are new to the team (and possibly the league), especially at a club like Man Utd where the pressure for deliverig instantly is high.
Now that's a proper vicious cycle.

City can buy the most talented players in the world and wait to integrate them because they have a functioning team.

City has a functioning team because they have the most talented players in the world.

We cannot buy the most talented players in the world and wait to integrate them because we don't have a functioning team.

We don't a functioning team because we don't have the most talented players in the world.

It all boils down to one thing: we are skint. We simply can't afford to be title challengers. Fans must learn to accept this and adjust expectations. And stop buying season tickets and giving so much money to the club that Woody doesn't need to care.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Maybe you're right, I have no idea how good Dalot will turn out to be, but I'm hoping Ed is holding back the funds in order to give our new manager (next season hopefully!) a phat war chest with which to spend at his leisure.

Either that or the owners have decided to shut up shop where transfer expenditure is concerned. *disclaimer* this is not an invitation to the anti-Glazer lot to come in and take over the thread.
I think the problem is we keep doing the same thing and expect different results - it's literal insanity.

We know Young isn't good enough to be the RB for a title winning side, backup or otherwise - but because we're terrible in the market and incapable of finding good value players, we tend to stick to something we're comfortable with, and somehow expect things to get better, even though they've been proven to categorically not work like that.

AlecHDR

Angry, incoherent heterosexual slob
  1. Leaves it all on the pitch, every single game.
  2. Very versatile and happy to do a job in any position.
  3. Never complains or causes any problems, and has been a good employee.
It's a no brainier. We need to bring a starter at RB but Young is a competent squad player when needed.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Not even good enough to be 2nd choice RB or LB imo

klsv

He'll mate. I don't even need a time machine to see it. Anyone who think otherwise, is actually delusional imo.
Haha, I really don't see it. He's been here since 2011 and last season he got the most apps since joining and it was mostly because of the Shaw situation we had. Now that Shaw is doing well again he'll be starting. And I really can't see any manager, even if Young himself takes that position, a 34-year former left-winger being our first choice RB in 2019/2020.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
I honestly have zero hope in the club with such news emerging from time to time. His contract should be left to expire and be replaced like what City did with their aging full backs.
We just don't have the ability to go and spend £125m on fullbacks like City did.

If Young's kept as a genuine back up and dressing room personality, then it's okay. But I think most are disappointed that players like Martial and De Gea still don't have extensions. Also this probably means another season of Young as first choice FB. He'll be a 34 year old ex-winger.

Dumbat12

It's a no brainier. We need to bring a starter at RB but Young is a competent squad player when needed.
You forgot the most important thing -
4. He's not good enough.

Doesn't matter how good guy he is or whatever sort of bullshit you can think of, all that matters is if he's good enough or not, he's not good enough and never was. And even as a backup he's not good enough. Look at any other top team's squad and find me a backup of Young's caliber.

GiddyUp

City 2 seasons ago ruthlessly shipped out all deadwood and replaced them with quality and here we are still with young, Valencia. Do you think pep would have been this successful with zabaleta, sagna and clichy still as fullbacks? No.
Cost them nearly 300mil to replace their back 4 and keepers over 3 seasons with a couple of duds. They are definitely not regretting it. We could easily do it that way and we should. Keep De Gea and drop 200 on 3 defenders, keep Bailly, Smalling, Shaw and Rojo. Allow Dalot and Fosu Mensah to grow in to the 1st 11 through cup and dead rubber European games like what Ferguson would have done.
With a competent back 4 we can push on so Martial, Rashford and Alexis aren't responsible in bailing out young and Valencia.

el3mel

Haha, I really don't see it. He's been here since 2011 and last season he got the most apps since joining and it was mostly because of the Shaw situation we had. Now that Shaw is doing well again he'll be starting. And I really can't see any manager, even if Young himself takes that position, a 34-year former left-winger being our first choice RB in 2019/2020.
Look at the other players in this position. Dalot looks far from first team football and hasn't played much at all so nothing suggests he'll make the jump to be main RB out of nowhere, and Valencia has his knee done for, so will be relegated to bench option. If we don't sign anyone, we'll end up with Young as our main RB and even our main captain for most of the season, with Valencia being his sub and Dalot the odd one in cup games.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
This logic could apply to any body we pick up off the street.

He's not good enough, he couldn't cross a t if his life depended on it.

AndyJ1985

4. He's a shite football player who would look more at home wearing a Sunderland kit.

But hey we're only Manchester United, why should quality matter?

drdoityourself

When is the right time to move on?

We've fallen behind of the top teams, stockpiling ageing squad players.
I'd like the squad players to be players who can push on, improve themselves and the team and have the potential to become starters.Like Dalot should be.
The club should be able to move on from Young and Valencia, and bring in another right back as a starter without spending a fortune. They are not that good.

We're just treading water, every summer. Bloated, average squad, full of players who 'do a job', not one of them with the promise of becoming a starter of required quality.

GiddyUp

Now that's a proper vicious cycle.

City can buy the most talented players in the world and wait to integrate them because they have a functioning team.

City has a functioning team because they have the most talented players in the world.

We cannot buy the most talented players in the world and wait to integrate them because we don't have a functioning team.

We don't a functioning team because we don't have the most talented players in the world.

It all boils down to one thing: we are skint. We simply can't afford to be title challengers. Fans must learn to accept this and adjust expectations. And stop buying season tickets and giving so much money to the club that Woody doesn't need to care.
I will watch and support the club hoping for the best. But I won't spend one penny on this club if shite like Young and Valencia get contract extensions.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
:lol: How many of us just glanced at the thread titled and screamed FFS! in our heads.

GiddyUp

He plays every fecking game. Its why we are shit.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
One of the main reasons why we are still where we are is because we allow average players to stay at the club and don't replace them adequately.
We're so far behind city from the top (the board) to the bottom (the players)

AshRK

Cost them nearly 300mil to replace their back 4 and keepers over 3 seasons with a couple of duds. They are definitely not regretting it. We could easily do it that way and we should. Keep De Gea and drop 200 on 3 defenders, keep Bailly, Smalling, Shaw and Rojo. Allow Dalot and Fosu Mensah to grow in to the 1st 11 through cup and dead rubber European games like what Ferguson would have done.
With a competent back 4 we can push on so Martial, Rashford and Alexis aren't responsible in bailing out young and Valencia.
That's why I said on the other thread ,some keep on saying how Jose has spent 300m. They are right but it's not about Jose, it's about Manchester United. If we spend 50m on x and x fails to deliver then we have to replace. Top clubs do that and that's what we have failed to do.

liamp

I'm fine with one of them (ideally Young since he could provide some level of cover for both flanks) but the idea of extending both for a year is pointless. This club's contract management and overall payroll management is a fecking disaster

Judas

Open to offers
Valencia getting another year would be beyond inexcusable. You can think of an argument for Young, but Valencia is so beyond past it, it would be disgraceful.

AndyJ1985

That's why I said on the other thread ,some keep on saying how Jose has spent 300m. They are right but it's not about Jose, it's about Manchester United. If we spend 50m on x and x fails to deliver then we have to replace. Top clubs do that and that's what we have failed to do.
We got rid of Mkhitaryan and bought Sanchez. How many more flops should we be expected to replace every season?

GiddyUp

Especially if we can get around the same amount in a sale like Di Maria, Depay and Schneiderlin.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
I have absolutely no problem with Young getting an extension. He has been a very good player for us. Of course he shouldn't be starting as much as he does but that's not his fault. What's with all the hate???

deafepl

I think he'll be getting Carrick treatment, he is not going to play many games for us next season, they all know.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
We got rid of Mkhitaryan and bought Sanchez. How many more flops should we be expected to replace every season?
All of them? If we don't want to replace them under Mourinho then great get him out and get a new manager in to replace the duds.
In the summer we needed to back or sack Jose, we did neither and are paying the price this season whilst the glazers make hundreds of millions.

SATA

We are focusing on the wrong player contract extensions. Where is the news of De Gea, Martial and Mata signing their new deals? Our priorities are all wrong at the moment

ravi2

If we extend Jose and Fellaini we might as well extend Young.
Mediocrity all round

Pughnichi

Facepalm. I could at least understand triggering a 12 month option. But to offer him a new one is mental...the only way this would be good is if it will be reduced wages as he’s getting older and likely to be a bit part player.

Stadjer

Valencia getting another year would be beyond inexcusable. You can think of an argument for Young, but Valencia is so beyond past it, it would be disgraceful.
Surely that wont happen right? No way that Valencia is getting an extension.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
I doubt we will see Valencia in the starting lineup again. Maybe in the FA Cup but not this year - and even then, Dalot may be fit enough to play, so unless Shaw picks up another injury or Darmian leaves we will be okay in depth until the summer.

I think Mourinho has reached his limit with Valencia in a similar manner he did with Jones. With Valencia's leg problems he's only been able to play one game a week and has played about a third of our games due to a couple of injuries he picked up.

Valencia and Darmian will probably both leave by the summer, Young will probably be offered a one year contract and we'll sign another RB and LB. If Shaw, Dalot and the two new fullbacks are fine in term of fitness by the end of 2020 then I think that'll be the end of Young's time here.
Posted this about 10 days ago. I'll be surprised if both of them are here next season as it would suggest we aren't going to sign any fullbacks
We are focusing on the wrong player contract extensions. Where is the news of De Gea, Martial and Mata signing their new deals? Our priorities are all wrong at the moment
Is possible to hold multiple negotiations at once and we know that De Gea and Martial have been in discussions - just that they've turned down what we've offered so far. Extending the likes of Young will be much easier.

Zlatattack

all of them? loads of them? Other clubs can sign 8 or 9 players in a season, why can't we? Apparently we're the richest club in the world, where's the money?

Leicester, West Ham, Watford all bought in more than 7 players this summer, Watford are managing to be ahead of us in the table and Liecester are 3 points behind us.

A big overhaul in players is not the end of the world. Heck most of the dross in our club could be replaced internally for the short term.

Al-T

I've nothing in particular against Young, Valencia is past it.

What other top European side would potentially be lining up next season with two Thirty Four year old converted Wingers as their Full Backs?

AshRK

We are talking about our defenders here. Valencia, young should have been shipped out and not shoehorned into fullbacks. Jones, darmian and rojo should be sold and yet are here. Smalling should be utmost a back up defender and yet he has become the main man.Pep bought nolito, bravo and he still got to replace them. City sold all the deadwoods and we did not.

spwd

Why can't we just sell him and Darmein and buy another RB - this club is making a simple game look so complex
So true, unfortunately.

Keeping what you already have is far simpler than signing new players.

The best thing is that we know what to expect.

The worst thing is that we know what to expect.
Exactly, I actually like him but in no way shape or form should he be starting for us this year or next year, this goes for Darmian, Jones, Rojo and Valencia too.

The Firestarter

Odd but United do show incredible loyalty to players sometimes. @AshRK makes the point above and he's right: Pep would have said "thanks very much" and shown him the door. I like Ashley Young who has been a great servant but we're crying out for a defensive re-vamp and it looks like we're carrying on with what we have.
So would Sir Alex .

horsechoker

The Caf's Ezza.
I've nothing in particular against Young, Valencia is past it.

What other top European side would potentially be lining up next season with two Thirty Four year old converted Wingers as their Full Backs?
Probably Bayern Munich at the rate they're going