Young to get 1 year extension

Rajma

@Adisa
This sentence implies that Jose’s position is absolutely safe and it scaries me more than Young extending his contract here.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Honestly what is going on at your club? Young's been a decent servant but it's time to cut him, Valencia and Fellani away now. All three will get testimonials at this rate!

Man. City been far more ruthless. They could've kept giving 1 year deals to likes of Sagna and Zabaleta but Pep decided he wanted fresher and quicker options in those positions, Man. United really need to do the same.
But our board isn't going to authorise a seemingly endless run of £50m buys.

AlecHDR

Angry, incoherent heterosexual slob
You forgot the most important thing -
4. He's not good enough.

Doesn't matter how good guy he is or whatever sort of bullshit you can think of, all that matters is if he's good enough or not, he's not good enough and never was. And even as a backup he's not good enough. Look at any other top team's squad and find me a backup of Young's caliber.
I think he is good enough as a squad player. If we ship Darmian, and buy a right back, he would be our third choice right back (behind new RB and Dalot), and at best our second choice LB behind Shaw. You really think he can't play that role?

Second Choice LB:
City: Delph
Chelsea: Emerson
Liverpool: Moreno
Arsenal: Kolasinac
Spurs: Davies/Rose

I think it is arguable if Delph (as LB), Emerson, and Moreno are any better than Young. One thing you have to keep in mind is that if you don't extend his contract, you either have to replace him with a transfer (money that could be used elsewhere) or by promoting an LB from the academy (does that even happen now?)

This logic could apply to any body we pick up off the street.

He's not good enough, he couldn't cross a t if his life depended on it.
:lol:

Entertaining as your hyperbole is, that doesn't apply to any body we pick off the street. There is no way I be could a squad player at Lincoln Red Imps, let alone Manchester Untited.

4. He's a shite football player who would look more at home wearing a Sunderland kit.

But hey we're only Manchester United, why should quality matter?
I think that is a bit of exaggeration. He is not a world beater but good enough as a squad player that would basically be second or even third choice at both RB and LB. The frustration is with him starting so often, which I understand.

He plays every fecking game. Its why we are shit.
I agree that he shouldn't be starting. I am happy that he was signed for a year provided he is a squad option that plays only when needed (as backup or in dead rubber games to rest other players).

Canagel

This what I keep saying. A new manager makes absolutely no difference. The Caf is going to implode over the coming seasons and I'm going to force an apology to Mourinho out of every single one of them.
I thougght Mourinho said Young will play 50 games this season?

Waynne

I can't even say he will be good cover for RB.

Disappointing news.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
He's an average player but one of him and Valencia staying as cover, but just cover, is fine.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
This what I keep saying. A new manager makes absolutely no difference. The Caf is going to implode over the coming seasons and I'm going to force an apology to Mourinho out of every single one of them.
Force :lol: As if anyone is going to care about lame requests from some nobody on an internet forum.

Needham

It's humanitarian, giving him one more year to learn how to kick with his left foot.

Ashley R1+O

This is fine, he's been a great servant and I doubt he'll be getting a pay upgrade. If we strengthen the fullback positions he can definitely sit as an 'attitude plus' guy at 3rd choice on both flanks.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I think he'll be getting Carrick treatment, he is not going to play many games for us next season, they all know.
I can understand giving legends a 1 year contract of free loading. However Young had never done anything remotely great to be treated as one. He's been squad player at best.

devilish

This is fine, he's been a great servant and I doubt he'll be getting a pay upgrade. If we strengthen the fullback positions he can definitely sit as an 'attitude plus' guy at 3rd choice on both flanks.
great servant? to what? Young was never a great player. Getting to United was his lottery winning ticket. Should we give 1 year contracts to every average player who wears the United shirt?

cheeky_backheel

Any team with serious title ambitions should not be considering extending Ashley young's contract at this point.

But am sure this is also Mourinho's fault cos he doesnt want a new RB and is satisfied with a a kid and his grandfather.

Ashley R1+O

great servant? to what? Young was never a great player. Getting to United was his lottery winning ticket. Should we give 1 year contracts to every average player who wears the United shirt?
The club. He's already on a contract, this is an extension. At this point I don't really care who we give contracts too anymore, we're throwing away money left and right galvanizing anything and everything we can throw on the side of a building with a product. At least Young knows what it is like to win a league title.

Bola

I think the merits of this decision depend on how we plan to use Young.

If it is as cover for the fullback positions then probably a sensible deal, particularly if it involves a wage cut. The club needs to reduce our average and declining players, but I'd happily keep Young over Darmian and Valencia. Both players need to be removed from the squad at the earliest opportunity

If the offer is on the premise that Young will continue to be a regular starter beyond this season then its a huge mistake. He is a decent prem fullback who's leadership and work rate are perhaps his best attributes, but he is not a natural defender and lacks passing composure.

Ideally I'd like to see Shaw and Dalot become our 1st choice pairing by 19/20, with Young being the main back-up. For 20/21, I'd then hope that some youngsters will have emerged to provide competition - possibly Mitchell and Laird.

devilish

The club. He's already on a contract, this is an extension. At this point I don't really care who we give contracts too anymore, we're throwing away money left and right galvanizing anything and everything we can throw on the side of a building with a product. At least Young knows what it is like to win a league title.
He's 33 who failed as a winger and is now also failing in his makeshift position. Why do we insist in keeping him? We could either live to our tag of biggest club in the world and buy a replacement or we could live to our tag of giving kids a chance and allow Mitchell and TFM a decent shot to the role. By keeping the likes of Young we're only galvanising the thought that its ok to be shit at United since you'll always get a contract.

devilish

I think the merits of this decision depend on how we plan to use Young.

If it is as cover for the fullback positions then probably a sensible deal, particularly if it involves a wage cut. The club needs to reduce our average and declining players, but I'd happily keep Young over Darmian and Valencia. Both players need to be removed from the squad at the earliest opportunity

If the offer is on the premise that Young will continue to be a regular starter beyond this season then its a huge mistake. He is a decent prem fullback who's leadership and work rate are perhaps his best attributes, but he is not a natural defender and lacks passing composure.

Ideally I'd like to see Shaw and Dalot become our 1st choice pairing by 19/20, with Young being the main back-up. For 20/21, I'd then hope that some youngsters will have emerged to provide competition - possibly Mitchell and Laird.
Our first team fullbacks consist of an injury prone LB whose giving us some games after 4 years and some kid from Portugal with less then 20 games under his belt. Letting Young go was an opportunity to either bring in some quality as fullbacks or give kids a chance. Instead we'll be tying ourselves to a failed winger who turned out to become a failed fullback.

roonster09

FA Cup Predictions 2023/2024 winner
Scout
He's 33 who failed as a winger and is now also failing in his makeshift position. Why do we insist in keeping him? We could either live to our tag of biggest club in the world and buy a replacement or we could live to our tag of giving kids a chance and allow Mitchell and TFM a decent shot to the role. By keeping the likes of Young we're only galvanising the thought that its ok to be shit at United since you'll always get a contract.
Young shouldn't be offered new contract but saying he is a failed as a winger is just wrong. He was superb at Villa and also good first season at ManUtd. Later he was average to poor as left winger with good moments here and there before becoming fullback.

devilish

Young shouldn't be offered new contract but saying he is a failed as a winger is just wrong. He was superb at Villa and also good first season at ManUtd. Later he was average to poor as left winger with good moments here and there before becoming fullback.
He was, at the very most a squad player. Also 1 half decent season with us doesn't male him a success

Strachans Cigar

Fully deserves it, don't see what everybody is moaning about.
Totally agree, solid squad player, always gives 100%, can cover four positions in theory for another year.

Also one of the fast dwindling members of the squad who knows what it takes to win a PL title. You can’t bottle that positive influence and experience. Sensible move keeping him on imo.

Bola

Our first team fullbacks consist of an injury prone LB whose giving us some games after 4 years and some kid from Portugal with less then 20 games under his belt. Letting Young go was an opportunity to either bring in some quality as fullbacks or give kids a chance. Instead we'll be tying ourselves to a failed winger who turned out to become a failed fullback.
I don't understand your logic i'm afraid.

I not sure how keeping Young as a reserve full back fkr another season is going to block us signing a new fullback. There is minimal resale value and as Young is with us for the rest of 18/19 anyway, it gives us a chance to transition in Dalot and hopefully avoid an expensive signing in the summer

As for the youngster point, we don't have anyone ready to come through in 18/19. 19/20 may see Mitchell return to become a matchday squad regular, but Young would still have a role. Shaw with Mitchell as backup and Dalot with Young as backup could be successful, in 20/ 21 a prospect like Laird could potentially replace Young

Saying that, I think putting our hopes on Dalot is a big risk. In the summer, RB was perhaps the 2nd biggest weakness after RW. I believe we should have gone after a quality player who was ready to walk into the 1st team. We have however taken the Dalot route and the club needs to get behind their signings to make it work.

Toddler

He should not be our first choice rb thats what is wrong with this scenario. Dont mind him being a sub though. But looking at how inept our scouting and transfer side has been, he probably will be the first choice next year again.

ROFLUTION

Deserves it. Thanks for the tiredless effort Ashley! If more players just had the same work-rate and professionalism.

Dont really wanna mention Ed's shortcomings in the transfermarket to get better wing-backs. Thats not really Young's fault. He just works his ass off.

ROFLUTION

Fully deserves it, don't see what everybody is moaning about.
This. Complaining of not having better fullbacks should be in the Woodward/Transfer thread.

He's put in a huge effort and was among the better players last season. We need good utility players - both for competition and for safeguarding when the new FM player of the month will feck up or when Shaw goes hiding in his mansion for months playing FIFA.

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
Covers more than one position, experience and work rate. I suppose it makes sense if it’s for back up purposes.

We need to get a top quality RB, an actual RB. Young should not be starting for us.

devilish

I don't understand your logic i'm afraid.

I not sure how keeping Young as a reserve full back fkr another season is going to block us signing a new fullback. There is minimal resale value and as Young is with us for the rest of 18/19 anyway, it gives us a chance to transition in Dalot and hopefully avoid an expensive signing in the summer

As for the youngster point, we don't have anyone ready to come through in 18/19. 19/20 may see Mitchell return to become a matchday squad regular, but Young would still have a role. Shaw with Mitchell as backup and Dalot with Young as backup could be successful, in 20/ 21 a prospect like Laird could potentially replace Young

Saying that, I think putting our hopes on Dalot is a big risk. In the summer, RB was perhaps the 2nd biggest weakness after RW. I believe we should have gone after a quality player who was ready to walk into the 1st team. We have however taken the Dalot route and the club needs to get behind their signings to make it work.
My logic is pretty simple. We've got an inexperienced RB with less then 20 first team football games in his belt and an injury prone LB. We desperately need first teamers in those roles. Even if by some crazy reasoning we decide that Dalot and Shaw are ready to be first teamers then there's no point in keeping Young. The guy will be 34 next season and he's in rapid decline. We'll better off giving TFM (who already played 7 games with Fulham this season on top of the 17 games he played with Palace last season) and Mitchell (14 games with Motherwell).

We claim to be the biggest club in the world who believe in youths yet we keep insisting on giving new contracts to average players even when they are finished. Its time we act on our reputation.

InfiniteBoredom

I’d rather have young players eager to prove themselves as ‘covers’ than fading, never good enough players on big fat contract.

This club has become a retirement home.

Red_Ramirez

Bunch of drama queens

A one year extension is normal for an over 30's player.

Young is a very good squad player who can fill in a number positions and is guaranteed to put a very good shift every fecking time

He has earnt that extension

RedDevilRoshi

Hope this new deal is only as backup for injuries/suspensions. I’d be concerned if he was still 1st choice next season.

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
From an outsider’s Point of View I would imagine that this season should have seen Dalot and Young spiltting time with the younger man taking the majority of minutes towards the end of the season but this has become a bit of a write off due to Dalot’s injuries.
Young’s extension, and he is a great club servant who has a lot of good knowledge to pass on, will give Dalot another chance to have a season being mentored by him. Let’s hope for United’s sake that Dalot shakes off his fitness problems or there will be serious issues at the position for some time and only the acquisition of an expensive “plug and play” replacement will save the situation.
The question really is do you pull the trigger now and bring in the big player this summer or take the chance that an “in-house” progression of Dalot and maybe TFM will do the trick.

Not an easy question to answer.