Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
What did Owen say about Zlatan?
"He just stands about a lot."
No wonder the tv companies pay big bucks for brainless shit any moron in a pub could say such peerless insight. When will they stop hiring people just because of their famous names?

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
I'll have to take your word for this, as I genuinely don't know how accurate this is?
Me neither.
The constant Thursday-Sunday rhythm compared to CL teams easier calendar does have an effect. Here's come comparison from this season.

City:

Wed-Sat 2 (1 home-home combo)
Wed-Sun 2
Tue-Sat 2

Arsenal:

Tue-Sat 2
Wed-Sun 2
Wed-Sat 1 (1 home-home combo)
Tue-Sun 1

Spurs:

Wed-Sun 1
Tue-Sun 1
Tue-Sat 2
Wed-Sun 2

United:

Thu-Sun 6 (2 home-home combos)

So United have had 6 cases with only 2 nights' rest, of which 4 have included travelling to at least one of the two matches.

City have had 1 of those travel-including cases, Spurs & Arsenal none.

Too lazy to check Leicester's fixtures.

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
The constant Thursday-Sunday rhythm compared to CL teams easier calendar does have an effect. Here's come comparison from this season.

City:

Wed-Sat 2 (1 home-home combo)
Wed-Sun 2
Tue-Sat 2

Arsenal:

Tue-Sat 2
Wed-Sun 2
Wed-Sat 1 (1 home-home combo)
Tue-Sun 1

Spurs:

Wed-Sun 1
Tue-Sun 1
Tue-Sat 2
Wed-Sun 2

United:

Thu-Sun 6 (2 home-home combos)

So United have had 6 cases with only 2 nights' rest, of which 4 have included travelling to at least one of the two matches.

City have had 1 of those travel-including cases, Spurs & Arsenal none.

Too lazy to check Leicester's fixtures.
You aren't taking into account the Tuesady fixtures in the CL, for instance how many of those teams played on Saturday in the PL, then Tuesday in the CL. 2 days rest. Like United playing on Saturday, then next game Thursday. 4 days rest.

top1whoisman

Scout
You aren't taking into account the Tuesady fixtures in the CL, for instance how many of those teams played on Saturday in the PL, then Tuesday in the CL. 2 days rest. Like United playing on Saturday, then next game Thursday. 4 days rest.
While that is true, I think what we’re (or at least I am) discussing is how much do the midweek games and travelling tired from god knows where have an effect on the weekend PL games. Still think a Saturday (15:00 latest) domestic - Tuesday (19:45) Euro is an easier combination to deal with than Thursday (20:05 latest) - Sunday (16:00 latest)

For what it’s worth:
City 2 Sat-Tue
Arsenal 3
Spurs 3

Dante

Average bang
I don't think goals are the only metric to judge Ibrahimovic by. The way he brings others into play is just as important given the way he's a lightning rod for all our attacks.

Zlatan's a great player and the archetypal target-man. But if you're going to play with a relatively immobile target-man, the wingers and attacking midfielders need to be of a certain type. I don't think that type exists in our squad. Mkhtiaryan may develop that way if he keeps up his current form - as he becomes more of a threat coming into the box. Mata can probably do it as well, but he's not suited to playing against every opponent.

We either need to revamp the wingers or the strikers in the squad. Ibrahimovic's contract extension is pointing towards the latter. I reckon that's the more difficult option for Jose to take, but it seems he's adamant.

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
While that is true, I think what we’re (or at least I am) discussing is how much do the midweek games and travelling tired from god knows where have an effect on the weekend PL games. Still think a Saturday (15:00 latest) domestic - Tuesday (19:45) Euro is an easier combination to deal with than Thursday (20:05 latest) - Sunday (16:00 latest)

For what it’s worth:
City 2 Sat-Tue
Arsenal 3
Spurs 3
See this is where I disagree. At some point whether you are playing CL or EL, there will be only two days rest. Be that leading up to the European game, or after the game.

Anyway we'll leave it here mate. This thread is starting to derail a bit. ;)

top1whoisman

Scout
See this is where I disagree. At some point whether you are playing CL or EL, there will be only two days rest. Be that leading up to the European game, or after the game.
Fair enough. I think it’s definitely a factor whether you travel from say Southampton to Manchester tired after a game with another one waiting in less than 3 days, compared to Southern Ukraine or Turkey. Also, any of:

Thu 18:00 - Sunday 12:00 (64h between matches)
Thu 20:05 - Sunday 12:00 (62h)
Thu 20:05 - Sunday 16:00 (66h)
Thu 18:00 - Sunday 15:00 (67h)
Thu 20:05 - Sunday 16:30 (66h30min)
Thu 18:00 - Sunday 14:15 (66h)

…are tougher than

Saturday 15:00 - Tuesday 19:45 (74h45min)

Last edited:
Crystal Palace 1:2 Man Utd

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Russian commentator insists that it was a handball by Ibra - but I can't see the moment clearly (and the best replay is from a wrong angle). Is he onto something? What do you guys think

AndyJ1985

Got to be honest, I haven't been particularly impressed by him lately. But you know he's always capable of pulling something special out the bag. Just wish he could do it a bit more often.

Man-United

Class finish. Been very good overall today too
Didn't have much to work on today, but almost everything he's done has been good. Now he's even helping out in midfield.

His FIFTH 90 min game in 14 days! Including a trip to Ukraine.

top1whoisman

Scout
Yeah but he's old and came from a crap league and his link-up play is crap and if it's not it doesn't matter etc etc. :keano:

binary bot
Think that was his best game for us. Created chances, impeccable linkup play and played like a leader at the end.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Just before his goal I was saying in my head "come on Zlatan, you're the magic man we've been missing, get the sort of winner we used to get".

I love this aardvark so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.