6.2 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Janson

Nobody downplayed Ibra contributions this season. I always said we won games because of him. If you check my rating you'll see I rated him higher than the CAF average.
But it's time to look for other options. Not this season but it's time to ponder about it for the future. This season we can't change anything. We can only hope he will turn up in games we want to win (like Southampton game for example) but we can't expect him to be consistent on goals like RvN. That's the fact. And yes, stat backs that up.
I agree with almost everything you say here. Zlatans misses have been a problem but the big problem is no one else contributing. The discussion has been about the shots per goal and chances created stats MadMike posted. Neither him nor you have provided any analasys to show that it really backs up the opinion that Ibra and Pogba are the main culprits. Have you considered that maybe the others aren't taking enough shots or getting themselves in a position to score? You also can't use a per minute stat to compare these two to the much inferior players around them. There's a reason why they're consistent starters and the other attackers aren't. It's like comparing Schweinsteigers one game to Pogba and saying look he has a one goal per game ratio, he must be much more effective than Pogba.

If it (fast, mobile, fluid attacking) is a system we want, we will find players suitable for it. Mhiki can play in this system so that's one. Griezmann can too despite not being the quickest player so that could be two.
Whether it's what Mourinho want or not is entirely up to him but the fact is we can't play like that with Ibra. He's too immobile. The fastest counter attacking we played this season happened in FA Cup game when Ibra wasn't on the field. That is not coincidental.
We don't need to play like that, and I don't think we will under Mourinho. Me myself would much prefer a player in Zlatans mold to replace him. I think he will be looking to build around Ibra in the summer and then replace him like for like when he leaves.

Yes we could get some of the best players in the world and play in this style but Martial and Rashford are far from where they need to be to be the main men in such a system, and Griezmann for sure isn't the man for it.

Janson

You understand that our entire gameplan is set in order to accommodate Zlatan and provide for him, right?

Do you expect us to pull a MSN level of performance with an completely new gameplan and attack?
Setting up the excuses already.:)

Cantona_Forever

Have you considered that maybe the others aren't taking enough shots or getting themselves in a position to score?
I understand where you're coming from, and your position is reasonable. The question is reasonable.
However first and foremost our attack is designed to be focused on Ibra, to the point you can almost be sure if Pogba got the ball he will look up to find him, so the system is built for others to take less shot by default. Did Martial take shots? Did Mata take shots? Did Mhiki take shots? Did Rooney take shots? All yes, but their converting chances are all acceptable. Rooney is like 2 times better than Pogba (and Pogba is almost 2 times more effective than Ibra himself).
Let talk about one example that make Ibra stat looks so bad. Last Saturday when Rooney passed to him in front of goal he couldn't control the easy ball. Ball went to the line but instead of passing it back to Mata or Herrera who both were getting into firing position Ibra chose to tried it himself at almost impossible angle. One bad stat for him. One less taking shot for Mata or Herrera. Now in this example whom we should put the blame on?
Similar incident happened in 06-07. Ronaldo couldn't control the ball. Ball went to the line. He then passed it back to Giggs who crossed it to the box and Rooney scored. Even Ronaldo wouldn't try it from that angle.

We don't need to play like that, and I don't think we will under Mourinho. Me myself would much prefer a player in Zlatans mold to replace him. I think he will be looking to build around Ibra in the summer and then replace him like for like when he leaves.
That's fine. Any system is alright with me as long as we win & dominate game. If Mourinho will continue with this he has to have a reliable scoring midfield because both Pogba and Herrera contributed very little in this area. You can't sit and hope Pogba will immensely improves his scoring next season. And between these two it will be Herrera who get sacrificed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dargonk

Marcelinho87

If the rule is that you cannot be charged if the ref saw it, how in the world was he charged? Bloody ridiculous.
Doesn't matter if he saw it or not, just that he did not take action.

I think the talking to him and Rooney was about that other fella who got sent off for pushing Zlatan.

Ban

You understand that our entire gameplan is set in order to accommodate Zlatan and provide for him, right?

Do you expect us to pull a MSN level of performance with an completely new gameplan and attack?
No, I expect goals from whoever will play instead of him. Simple really. Also notion that our gameplan is set to accommodate him isn't really true.

RedMaestro

Big chances missed:

1. Zlatan Ibrahimovic 17

2. Paul Pogba 5

3. Juan Mata 4

4. Jesse Lingard 3

5. Wayne Rooney 3

6. Marcus Rashford 2

7. Anthony Martial 1

8. Henrikh Mkhitaryan 1

9. Antonio Valencia 1

To compare it to other teams, Deigo Costa(7) missed most big chances for Chelsea, Sanchez (7) for Arsenal and Kane(7) for Spurs.

Edit: Sorry if this has already been posted.
Well considering Ibra takes more shots than anyone else it's no wonder he has more missed chances. How many shots have the other players taken. Whats the "conversion rate" for this? To my knowledge, Rooney and Lingard hasn't taken that many shots and if that's the case, 3 missed chances is also a lot.

Janson

Big chances missed:

1. Zlatan Ibrahimovic 17

2. Paul Pogba 5

3. Juan Mata 4

4. Jesse Lingard 3

5. Wayne Rooney 3

6. Marcus Rashford 2

7. Anthony Martial 1

8. Henrikh Mkhitaryan 1

9. Antonio Valencia 1

To compare it to other teams, Deigo Costa(7) missed most big chances for Chelsea, Sanchez (7) for Arsenal and Kane(7) for Spurs.

Edit: Sorry if this has already been posted.
I think this has been posted like 17 times.:)

Janson

I understand where you're coming from, and your position is reasonable. The question is reasonable.
However first and foremost our attack is designed to be focused on Ibra, to the point you can almost be sure if Pogba got the ball he will look up to find him, so the system is built for others to take less shot by default. Did Martial take shots? Did Mata take shots? Did Mhiki take shots? Did Rooney take shots? All yes, but their converting chances are all acceptable. Rooney is like 2 times better than Pogba (and Pogba is almost 2 times more effective than Ibra himself).
Let talk about one example that make Ibra stat looks so bad. Last Saturday when Rooney passed to him in front of goal he couldn't control the easy ball. Ball went to the line but instead of passing it back to Mata or Herrera who both were getting into firing position Ibra chose to tried it himself at almost impossible angle. One bad stat for him. One less taking shot for Mata or Herrera. Now in this example whom we should put the blame on?
Similar incident happened in 06-07. Ronaldo couldn't control the ball. Ball went to the line. He then passed it back to Giggs who crossed it to the box and Rooney scored. Even Ronaldo wouldn't try it from that angle.
It's built around him, yes but that doesn't mean we're intentionally only focusing on getting him chances alone. The attack being built around him is setup to also get the most out of the other attackers, hence having runners to run in behind for Ibra to setup. Problem is they aren't doing it. Ibra is the one making the intelligent runs, and Pogba immeadialety spots them, wheres others don't, especially Martial is terrible at it.

Zlatan being selfish, I think is the first time I hear this from anyone, it would be difficult to find a striker less selfish than him. Throughout his career he has often been criticized for passing when he should shoot. 77 chances created, most of anyone in the team speaks for itself. Yes he should have passed instead of lobing the keeper but you can't build your argument on one sequence like that. Same can be said about others not passing to him when he's in a better position like again mostly Martial misses.

That's fine. Any system is alright with me as long as we win & dominate game. If Mourinho will continue with this he has to have a reliable scoring midfield because both Pogba and Herrera contributed very little in this area. You can't sit and hope Pogba will immensely improves his scoring next season. And between these two it will be Herrera who get sacrificed.
I think Pogba will improve, at least I believe he will improve his scoring. His creativity is immense and he and Ibra are no doubt the most important players in this team. I think only Pogba, Zlatan and Mikhi are safe to secure a place in the eleven next year excluding defenders.

Mourinho will obviously look to get someone like Griezmann to add some much needed goalscoring.

RedMaestro

Here's an interesting piece I found on reddit with some stats taken from EPL official website.

https://www.reddit.com/r/reddevils/...strikers_and_why_i/?ref=share&ref_source=link
This is also interesting:

Couldn't link to the reddit page, but I'm putting it in quotes if that's acceptable, admin can please delete it if I'm not allowed to do so:

[–]i-Poker

The only thing this proves is how much you can distort stats with cherry picking...

• For example Harry Kane is on 4.6 shots per goal if we adjust for penalties.

• Zlatan is on 21/5 Europa League, 1/1 FA Cup, 2/1 Community Shield, 16/4 League Cup. In total 40 shots and 11 goals or 3.63 shots per goal. Add this to OP's cherry picking and it's 5.73 shots per goal in all competitions, on par with Sanchez and Ronaldo.

• Now lets do a little cherry picking of our own. In the last 23 games, since breaking his spell against Swansea following the transition period, he's had 79 shots and scored 20 goals. That's 3,95 shots per goal, on par with Lukaku and Messi. And if he continues like he has for the last 23 games, he'll end up on Griezmann's stats in all competitions.
In conclusion: OP is wrong. Fact.

Janson

Couldn't link to the reddit page, but I'm putting it in quotes if that's acceptable, admin can please delete it if I'm not allowed to do so:
Why even bother with the stats mate? Anyone sensible knows they can be turned and twisted to suit ones argument. Like I said, Zlatan missing alot of chances is a problem, but the bigger problem is no one else contributing. And that's exactly what Mourinho will try to rectify in the summer.

If we had some competent goalscorers around Zlatan, no one would even be talking about his misses.

RedMaestro

Why even bother with the stats mate? Anyone sensible knows they can be turned and twisted to suit ones argument. Like I said, Zlatan missing alot of chances is a problem, but the bigger problem is no one else contributing. And that's exactly what Mourinho will try to rectify in the summer.
Totally agree, but since some are trying to make him the "culprit" it's good to show that that there's more than meets the eye.

Janson

Totally agree, but since some are trying to make him the "culprit" it's good to show that that there's more than meets the eye.
Cudos to you for applying yourself to dig up the stats but shots/conversion rate stats have been posted many times and discussed extensively. The problem is, people always interprete them in a way to suit their argument and we just go round and round. This happens after every bad game he has.

RedMaestro

It's built around him, yes but that doesn't mean we're intentionally only focusing on getting him chances alone. The attack being built around him is setup to also get the most out of the other attackers, hence having runners to run in behind for Ibra to setup. Problem is they aren't doing it. Ibra is the one making the intelligent runs, and Pogba immeadialety spots them, wheres others don't, especially Martial is terrible at it.

Zlatan being selfish, I think is the first time I hear this from anyone, it would be difficult to find a striker less selfish than him. Throughout his career he has often been criticized for passing when he should shoot. 77 chances created, most of anyone in the team speaks for itself. Yes he should have passed instead of lobing the keeper but you can't build your argument on one sequence like that. Same can be said about others not passing to him when he's in a better position like again mostly Martial misses.

I think Pogba will improve, at least I believe he will improve his scoring. His creativity is immense and he and Ibra are no doubt the most important players in this team. I think only Pogba, Zlatan and Mikhi are safe to secure a place in the eleven next year excluding defenders.

Mourinho will obviously look to get someone like Griezmann to add some much needed goalscoring.
Mourinho obviously rates Ibrahimovic highly or else he wouldn't have said this last week:
Zlatan Ibrahimovic deserves to win a Ballon d'Or, according to Manchester United manager Jose Mourinho.

In an exclusive interview with MUTV, the boss admits he is perplexed as to why the 35-year-old has never won the world's best-player prize and suggests an incredible end to an already successful season should propel United's top goalscorer into the reckoning for the 2017 accolade.

Surprisingly, Ibrahimovic has yet to even make the top three in the voting, with ex-Reds forward Cristiano Ronaldo and Barcelona wizard Lionel Messi filling the top two slots for the past six years. However, the Swedish striker's wonderful introduction to English football will deserve recognition, if he can help bring more silverware to Old Trafford this season.

"I think what he has done is amazing," Mourinho told MUTV. "The number of goals he’s scored, the two matches at Wembley, the trophies, what he is in the group, and what he means. I think he is absolutely phenomenal. No more words.

"I just gave an interview to a big French magazine with big responsibilities in these big awards, the FIFA Golden Ball and so on. I know about Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi. I know what they are and what they are doing but I can’t believe this big man, with the career he’s having, I can’t believe he’s never won it.

"So why not this season, if he can do something special? If he can win more trophies, reach Stockholm and the Europa League final. Why not this man, who is 35 years old, to get that deserved award?"
So he'll improve other positions before he'll even think about replacing Ibra. People also forget that there aren't many strikers of the Ibra type (which Mourinho likes) so he won't replace him even if he wanted to at the moment.

There's one thing I'm wondering and that is, how do some people in here know that other strikers would have the same amount of goalscoring chances? Isn't this something that Ibra is doing well, creating good positions for himself? Are people sure that the other strikers would have the same good positioning?

Janson

People talk about Ibra's SpG, but I think they might be forgetting what these numbers look like for Messi and Ronaldo.

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/11119/History/Lionel-Messi Messi, career average: 4.9 SpG

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/5583/History/Cristiano-Ronaldo Ronaldo, career average: 6.8 SpG

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/3281/History/Zlatan-Ibrahimovic Ibra, career average: 4.2 SpG
That's how it usually looks for top players, they take a lot of shots. And the more shots you take it becomes more difficult to keep a good conversion rate, since every shot you take has a much lower chance of going in than not.

People assume that if the others in our team would have taken the same amount of shots would keep their conversion rate the same which is highly unlikely.

RedMaestro

That's how it usually looks for top players, they take a lot of shots. And the more shots you take it becomes more difficult to keep a good conversion rate, since every shot you take has a much lower chance of going in than not.

People assume that if the others in our team would have taken the same amount of shots would keep their conversion rate the same which is highly unlikely.
Yeah, I know. Do they really think any player in the world can score i.e. 80 goals per season, which is basically what they want Ibra to do because he takes a lot of shots?

Janson

Yeah, I know. Do they really think any player in the world can score i.e. 80 goals per season, which is basically what they want Ibra to do because he takes a lot of shots?
I don't understand some people's reasoning either, it's really is strange.

Last edited:

Cantona_Forever

..especially Martial is terrible at it.
That's true. Martial form this season has dropped quite a bit, and no doubt plays a part in where we are today.

Yes he should have passed instead of lobing the keeper but you can't build your argument on one sequence like that. Same can be said about others not passing to him when he's in a better position like again mostly Martial misses.
That's true too. The reason I raised this example is just to show the answer to the question you raised "Did everyone else taking enough chances?" will never be clear cut. It will be based on assumption and opinion, ifs and buts. What clear cut is stat because it's from what happened. It shows he had the worst conversion rate of the team by a mile. It shows in number. It's clear, so we can comment on.
It shows that (forget Martial and everyone else) if he only had the same conversion rate as other main forwards of big PL teams we will comfortably be in top 4. That's reasonable expectation in my book. To match others in the same role.
It's kind of strange to blame the player who brought you to 6th and 2 cups (and 'blame' is not a right word. I don't blame him) but if we want to improve, if we want to get rid of our scoring problem, we need to face fact and the fact is our main man is an on and off striker and we can't overlook it. Admittedly when he's on, he's on. Our first three games including CS he had like a 100% conversion rate. Out of this world. But in Bournemouth game he couldn't even hit a barn door. A yard in front of open goal and he still missed.
How to solve this? Griezmann could help but I'm not convinced his style of play and Ibra's will be in synced. Hopefully we will have a chance to know it next season.

Terminator

Well considering Ibra takes more shots than anyone else it's no wonder he has more missed chances. How many shots have the other players taken. Whats the "conversion rate" for this? To my knowledge, Rooney and Lingard hasn't taken that many shots and if that's the case, 3 missed chances is also a lot.
This is only big chances. I believe its only one on one and open goals that are considered as big chances.

leontas

This is a tremendous opportunity for Rashford to step up and rekindle last season's form as a central striker. Hope he's up for it.

RedMaestro

If we try to see something positive is that of the 3 games, 2 of them are in the PL and WBA is the difficult one. At least no top 6 team to play against in the PL.

Vilev

Jose was very stupid against Bournemouth. Mourinho does not manage the game itself very well, his subs do more harm than good quite often. It was obvious that Ibra would have gotten the ban at HT, Jose and the team could easily see that on replays. He was also not mentally fit to continue the game but okay, that might be debatable. Anyway the only smart decision was to take him off at HT so he could at least get some rest before Rostov.
Now he played the full game, in which he hasn't done great, more like hindered the team really. And now he goes to Russia, where he must play and must play the full 90 minutes, because he is suspended in league&cup.

Fracture90

Dude you can bend at twist it all you like but it won't change the fact that he's been wasteful as fek. He's missed more clear cut chances than anyone else in EPL and that he's taken more shots than anyone else, sure I'm not denying he's scored against Zorya, Fayenoord, St. Etienne, Northampton, Reading and West Ham without their key players in league Cup.

But as I said it won't change the chances he's missed.

You pulled out Messi and Ronaldo's SpG ratio, okay but show us their total goal sum as well. They are both far more clinical in front of goal and not to mention they had 5+ season each where they bagged 60 plus. Also I think they've scored more goals in their careers so far than Ibrahimovic has up until now even tho he is few years older than the both of them.

Us relaying on Zlatan who will be 36 next year and it will be even harder for him to deliver, will get us even more frustrated.

Fracture90

No, I expect goals from whoever will play instead of him. Simple really. Also notion that our gameplan is set to accommodate him isn't really true.
Actually it is and the fact that he's got 3 or more shots on goal per match more than anyone else, plus the clear cut chances he's missed tells that our team is primarily providing for him. That and the fact he's never subbed shows there's no backup plan and our game is designed to suit him.

dirkey

This is a tremendous opportunity for Rashford to step up and rekindle last season's form as a central striker. Hope he's up for it.
It's blatantly going to be Rooney who will start up front instead of Ibra, sadly.

Janson

That's true. Martial form this season has dropped quite a bit, and no doubt plays a part in where we are today.
I think not having Martial in last season form has actually been the main problem. At the start of the season the front three Martial/Ibra/Mikhi looked deadly on paper, but sadly it didn't turn out that way.

That's true too. The reason I raised this example is just to show the answer to the question you raised "Did everyone else taking enough chances?" will never be clear cut. It will be based on assumption and opinion, ifs and buts. What clear cut is stat because it's from what happened. It shows he had the worst conversion rate of the team by a mile. It shows in number. It's clear, so we can comment on.
It shows that (forget Martial and everyone else) if he only had the same conversion rate as other main forwards of big PL teams we will comfortably be in top 4. That's reasonable expectation in my book. To match others in the same role.
It's kind of strange to blame the player who brought you to 6th and 2 cups (and 'blame' is not a right word. I don't blame him) but if we want to improve, if we want to get rid of our scoring problem, we need to face fact and the fact is our main man is an on and off striker and we can't overlook it. Admittedly when he's on, he's on. Our first three games including CS he had like a 100% conversion rate. Out of this world. But in Bournemouth game he couldn't even hit a barn door. A yard in front of open goal and he still missed.
How to solve this? Griezmann could help but I'm not convinced his style of play and Ibra's will be in synced. Hopefully we will have a chance to know it next season.
The problem with this is that people interprete the stats in different ways. The stats in question can mean everything in between Zlatan missing so many chances is our main problem to Zlatan is the only one getting in position to get these chances while the others aren't, people either use the stats to rationalise their agenda or simply misinterprete them.

No I don't think it's reasonable expectation for him to score all our goals without others chipping in. He is among the top scorers in the league and I think expecting more is ridiculous. On top of that, he has created the most chances in the team.

Regarding our scoring problems, ask yourself where we would be right now if at least Martial had met the expectations. We wouldn't even be talking about Zlatans missed chances right now. Add to that Mikhi's absence for a long time and Pogba's difficulty to score and you realise why we're in a mess.

I think, Griezmann is exactly the person to compliment Ibra, to benefit from his creativity. I also have little doubt Pogba will improve his goalscoring. What I have no idea about though is what will happen with Martial and Rashford, even Mata? If Griezmann comes, that means even less of a chance for them to get game time since it would obviously be Mikhi, Zlatan and Griezmann prioritised.

Last edited:

Fracture90

If he was getting subbed every once in a while, now we would have a backup option ready of which player to play in that CF spot.

But hence he's never subbed and he sit through only few games we had no test material nor the idea who'll be the best option to replace him.

Not to mention that entirely new gameplan will have to be devised in short notice because our current one is made to accommodate Zlatan, his size and technical abilities.

Janson

It's blatantly going to be Rooney who will start up front instead of Ibra, sadly.
I don't see anything wrong with it, it would be the most sensible decision. We need some leadership and direction in Ibras absence and Rooney is the man for that.

Janson

Dude you can bend at twist it all you like but it won't change the fact that he's been wasteful as fek. He's missed more clear cut chances than anyone else in EPL and that he's taken more shots than anyone else, sure I'm not denying he's scored against Zorya, Fayenoord, St. Etienne, Northampton, Reading and West Ham without their key players in league Cup.

But as I said it won't change the chances he's missed.

You pulled out Messi and Ronaldo's SpG ratio, okay but show us their total goal sum as well. They are both far more clinical in front of goal and not to mention they had 5+ season each where they bagged 60 plus. Also I think they've scored more goals in their careers so far than Ibrahimovic has up until now even tho he is few years older than the both of them.

Us relaying on Zlatan who will be 36 next year and it will be even harder for him to deliver, will get us even more frustrated.
Great analysis.:lol:

dirkey

I don't see anything wrong with it, it would be the most sensible decision. We need some leadership and direction in Ibras absence and Rooney is the man for that.
I do see a lot wrong with it. People have been complaining about Ibra coming deep at times etc, and not busting his gut to get into the box (and even still being clear and away our top scorer). So remember, we'll now have Rooney doing that, with less ability to make things happen when he gets on the ball, and even less in terms of output with regard to goals.

Again I hope I'm clearly wrong on this point, but I think it will be an unmitigated disaster if we start him up top. He's finished as a top, top level striker in my opinion. We have a young player with bags of promise, and some pace. It's he who should start up top.

Ash_G

Martial aside the majority of the attack is sufficiently experienced I'd say to not need Rooney. And Rooney's experience doesn't really cover for his drawbacks. I thought Bournemouth was actually a really good showcase of the good and bad of Rooney. When the game was really open he was decent and moved the ball in to space well enough. Once it got tighter he struggled. Personally can't see many teams being as open as Bournemouth were.

Loosing Ibra is a blow and one I think that Mou has left us exposed too. Despite a fair few opportunities to give Rashford time up front when we've been ahead in matches we didn't take the chances/have played Ibra in so many games that he's not really in the ideal form/confidence to step up to the role. Hopefully, if he does get the nod over Rooney which I doubt, he'll step back in well. In some ways I think if he does play even if he isn't quite as sharp as we'd want, his ability to stretch the game/run the channels will open space for the players behind him in a way that Ibra doesn't really do as much.

Janson

I do see a lot wrong with it. People have been complaining about Ibra coming deep at times etc, and not busting his gut to get into the box (and even still being clear and away our top scorer). So remember, we'll now have Rooney doing that, with less ability to make things happen when he gets on the ball, and even less in terms of output with regard to goals.

Again I hope I'm clearly wrong on this point, but I think it will be an unmitigated disaster if we start him up top. He's finished as a top, top level striker in my opinion. We have a young player with bags of promise, and some pace. It's he who should start up top.
I have no idea who he will start really, it could be Rashford as well since he replaced Ibra vs Arsenal I think. I'm not saying Rooney is better than the other options but like I said, we need the leadership and in my personal opinion, he's not any worse than Martial or Rashford form wise. I actually thought he had a great game vs Bournemouth.

dirkey

I have no idea who he will start really, it could be Rashford as well since he replaced Ibra vs Arsenal I think. I'm not saying Rooney is better than the other options but like I said, we need the leadership and in my personal opinion, he's not any worse than Martial or Rashford form wise. I actually thought he had a great game vs Bournemouth.
I didn't actually see the Bournemouth game so can't comment on that. If so .. I guess that's good. I would personally love to see Rooney find his form again and prove us all wrong - he's given so much to the club in his time. I just don't see it. Hence why I'd like to see Rashford in there, he's the future, he needs the game time.

As for leadership .. I think there should be enough in the side with the likes of Mkh, Mata, Carrick, Herrera, Pogba etc (obviously depending on who is actually picked on any given day).

Status
Not open for further replies.