6.2 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Man-United

The reason he's paid that much is that he was a free transfer. Would it have felt better if we signed him for £10M and he got £120.000/week instead?

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
What other fading stars have we bought other than him and Basti?

Not even close to being a trend.
Rooney, Zlatan, Basti, Falcao have collectively earned dozens of millions from us in the last 3 seasons in key positions.

Zlatan doesn't deserve Aguero wages. No-one else in Europe would pay that for what he offers.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
I'm not so sure about that, when Rashford was CF we were getting better results than we are now, but LVG was the manager then and we played in a very different set up now so no one could really know I think. The problem isn't solely Zlatan imo, it's more how Mourinho uses him and misuses especially Rashford. If this is how Mourinho wants to use Zlatan this season, then Rashford should be nowhere near 1st striker next season as he has barely played in that position then. If he occasionally subbed Zlatan, gave him some rest, put Rashford up top so that Rashford could develop from where he was under van Gaal, then maybe yes. Now I think next season we'll have a declining 36 year old, his replacements who are nowhere near ready if Mourinho continues to use him like this. That'd be a terrible scenario imo. That'd be a huge waste.
Agree with a lot of that. And as you said, it's a bit difficult to compare results between LvG (and after him being in charge for 1,5 seasons) and Mourinho (who's been in charge for approx 20 matches). This season Rashford has started 2 matches as a striker, defeat vs Feyenoord and the draw vs Arsenal. He was pretty poor in both. He of course learns more by playing, but one shouldn't underestimate what a young forward could learn from Zlatan on the training ground as well as off the pitch.

But yeah, as said, I agree that Rashford should get more minutes as a striker but looking at it now, not having Zlatan next season could end up in a disaster and signing a younger striker could stall Rashford's development for further more years. Unless someone suggests signing a worse striker than Rashford, which doesn't really make sense.

Robertd0803

Predictable though I hope it doesn't mean that we don't attempt to strengthen up front if there is the opportunity to do so. I admit I would be much happier about this if I didn't have it in my head that he has forgotten how to score (at Old Trafford at least).

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
Agree with a lot of that. And as you said, it's a bit difficult to compare results between LvG (and after him being in charge for 1,5 seasons) and Mourinho (who's been in charge for approx 20 matches). This season Rashford has started 2 matches as a striker, defeat vs Feyenoord and the draw vs Arsenal. He was pretty poor in both. He of course learns more by playing, but one shouldn't underestimate what a young forward could learn from Zlatan on the training ground as well as off the pitch.

But yeah, as said, I agree that Rashford should get more minutes as a striker but looking at it now, not having Zlatan next season could end up in a disaster and signing a younger striker could stall Rashford's development for further more years. Unless someone suggests signing a worse striker than Rashford, which doesn't really make sense.
I dont think the situation will change if Mojrinho manages this the same. We will have a declining striker who isnt going to shoot us to the title blocking the development of potential strikers at the end of this season, or at the end of next season. I dont think Rashford/Martial will get any better at CF this way.

top1whoisman

Scout
I dont think the situation will change if Mojrinho manages this the same. We will have a declining striker who isnt going to shoot us to the title blocking the development of potential strikers at the end of this season, or at the end of next season. I dont think Rashford/Martial will get any better at CF this way.
Your solution?

Rhyme Animal

If both of them are hungry for game time as a CF (which they may well not be - they might both be happy playing wide), I'd imagine one of them could leave/loan away.

Sammyjunn

Your solution?
My solution would be evaluate the situation later in this season, see what Zlatan's true level is, how Martial and Rashford develop, look at other options and then decide wheter to renew the contract. This seems so premature to me. But ofcourse it's too late for that.

Other solution, dont let Ibra play every single match and every single minute of it. Especially if he isnt playing well/scoring, see what Rashford can do up top or give him cameo's a sub. Do have Ibra still at 1st striker but we dont have to create another Rooney who has to play all the time regardless of how he is playing/performing.

top1whoisman

Scout
My solution would be evaluate the situation later in this season, see what Zlatan's true level is, how Martial and Rashford develop, look at other options and then decide wheter to renew the contract. This seems so premature to me. But ofcourse it's too late for that.

Other solution, dont let Ibra play every single match and every single minute of it. Especially if he isnt playing well/scoring, see what Rashford can do up top or give him cameo's a sub. Do have Ibra still at 1st striker but we dont have to create another Rooney who has to play all the time regardless of how he is playing/performing.
Fair enough. It could be that his next season's salary is based on clauses depending when we take up that optional year.

Rhyme Animal

Fair enough. It could be that his next season's salary is based on clauses depending when we take up that optional year.
Given our recent contract hand-outs, and almost surreal wage structure (paying WAY more to players who are either midtable, or past it), I'd guess not.

But it's possible I suppose. Though you'd imagine if that was the case, the club/Woodward would be keen for people to know that.

top1whoisman

Scout
Given our recent contract hand-outs, and almost surreal wage structure (paying WAY more to players who are either midtable, or past it), I'd guess not.

But it's possible I suppose. Though you'd imagine if that was the case, the club/Woodward would be keen for people to know that.
It's quite rare that contract details are revealed by clubs or players. They might talk about it when they confirm the "renewal".

top1whoisman

Scout
I dont think the salary is the biggest problem, we have Rooney and Schweini stealing a living as well, our forward line is most important. Without a good one, we are going nowhere.
No, me neither, but that was a reply with regards you wishing that we hadn't done this as early as we did. The reason could be a 5k/w difference because of an early clause triggered. But that's just stupid & pointless speculation.

Sammyjunn

No, me neither, but that was a reply with regards you wishing that we hadn't done this as early as we did. The reason could be a 5k/w difference because of an early clause triggered. But that's just stupid & pointless speculation.
Yeah, I wish we would have waited as I am not sure I even want him here next season. Hope he gets to play like this and score like in the beginning, that'd be useful for us.

SirScholes

Well, you did think Rooney was class vs Arsenal as well, so I'm not surprised at all.
He played well when he came on, and zlatan does, check his performance thread for multiple comments on him playing sloppy passes and fouling in our own half

Handré1990

It's more than a couple unfortunately, no but he came on and was useless.
I disagree, Feyenoord and Chelsea I'll admit. Unfortunately for your argument, we barely had a player who could pass as "acceptable" in those games, so are you blaming one player for our entire team's effort? Watford and Stoke are the games I would say he really could take some of the blame, yet he created more than a few chances for other players in those games.

He played well when he came on, and zlatan does, check his performance thread for multiple comments on him playing sloppy passes and fouling in our own half
I repeat, you thought Rooney was class vs Arsenal. Enough said

RedPnutz

So we ”shoved Martial out of position” last season too then? He played 29 matches on the wing, scored 13 and assisted 7. Centre forward 20 times, 4 goals and 1 assist. Perhaps he is a winger, at least as of now. He hasn’t been any better as a striker, quite the opposite.
What's this statistics thingamajig? Doesn't matter when many of our fans have clear, unbiased and all-seeing eyes and decades of watching football.

RedPnutz

Martial and Rashford overjoyed I imagine
At having a world class striker with the attitude of a winner as a mentor while they developed their game moving into their early/mid twenties? I would be overjoyed too.

RedPnutz

Earns the same as Sergio Aguero...

Will be 36 this time next year...

We're becoming a soft touch of a club - a 5 star retirement home for fading stars instead of a breeding ground for hungry talent.

Not impressed.
We should breed talents like Martial and Rashford by piling the pressure of leading the line for Manchester United while also crucifying them together with the media when they inadvertently go through a rough patch like most strikers (especially young ones) do.

Then we buy an established striker in the mid-twenties after much moaning and criticism which then shoves them out of the playing field.

Great strategy.

Sammyjunn

I disagree, Feyenoord and Chelsea I'll admit. Unfortunately for your argument, we barely had a player who could pass as "acceptable" in those games, so are you blaming one player for our entire team's effort? Watford and Stoke are the games I would say he really could take some of the blame, yet he created more than a few chances for other players in those games.

No, he was non existent vs Liverpool as well, missed a big chance (which you cant really blame him for, he probably got one chance all match. Missed loads against City including an open goal although scoring a nice goal.

Ban

If we would let him go next season we would hear cries that Martial and Rashford are too young to lead the line.
Also Martial looked good one the wing last year.
And whats this with Ibra missling 'loads' vs City?

Zlaatan

Parody Account
It's true that we create more chances when he plays, his link and hold up play has been quite good lately and much better than in the start. But with a 4231 with the surrounding players creating for the big targetman, the way this team is set up with our other attackers not getting in centrally (Martial and Rashford staying on the wing) for example, we just need goals from our CF, which he isn't producing. I really like the CF who creates for himself and others, but in this setup it's quite ineffective as have shown this entire season. Just like Rooney was for a while, not really scoring a lot as a striker but getting credits for his holdup and linkup play. Give me a striker a who scores goals, a lot of them and consistently. Every title winner of the past few years had has a striker with 20 goals at least, do you think that's a coincidence? I have strong doubts Ibra will get to that and even stronger doubts that he will get to that next year, while Rashford and Martial are being judged on the odd game out they play up front.

Rashford was excellent up front last season, scoring goals but his linkup play with flicks, combinations was also getting better and better, he isn't able to replicate that ofcourse if he gets to be played as a byline/defensive winger and then the odd match where Ibra is out, he finally gets a chance again.

And I'd have Higuain over Ibra at this moment, both not the most frequent scorers in big matches but when Higuain gets chances, he scores. He's proven that at Real and Napoli and now Juventus. He is a bit of a flat track bully yes, but you need those as well to finish high, we'd have 6 points more now for example if we had one.
Sure, if we had a striker that would never miss a chance we would have a lot more points. =l
Someone should tell Woodward to find that guy asap.

If the striker is to get all the blame for the points we've lost when he didn't score then he should also get all the credit for the points we got when he did score/assist, no?
Or maybe piss poor logic doesn't work both ways..

I saw someone say that if Zlatan would have buried that chance against Stoke in the first minute we would've won the game, i.e Zlatan lost us two points. Scoring one goal isn't some magical guarantee of 3 points, especially in the first fecking minute even how crazy it all may sound..
What about the 5-6 other chances that Pogba, Lingard etc had that they also missed? Or De gea's crap goaltending for the equalizer. But no.. it's all one players fault, naturally.

It's so easy to see the people who don't like him (and I'm well aware we who do are pretty easy to spot as well..:D), for example against Liverpool we didn't win a point due to De Gea's saves, we lost two because of Zlatan's miss.. It's such a naive way of looking at it.
It also seems as if people think that the golden goal rule has been implemented to our games this season because if Zlatan would've scored those missed chances the games would've been over the next second, which I'm afraid isn't the case. (apart from Burnley..)

I'm just tired of seeing people say that we should have had x points if Zlatan scored those chances because it's, at best, a lazy 'what if' argument no matter how you look at it.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
If we would let him go next season we would hear cries that Martial and Rashford are too young to lead the line.
Also Martial looked good one the wing last year.
And whats this with Ibra missling 'loads' vs City?
TBF he did, missed 2 easy chances first half (header and the one where he passed it to the defender on the line), also very good chance second half too.
However I think hes been good for us so far, despite a spell of missing everything.

addo

Rooney, Zlatan, Basti, Falcao have collectively earned dozens of millions from us in the last 3 seasons in key positions.

Zlatan doesn't deserve Aguero wages. No-one else in Europe would pay that for what he offers.
I'm pretty sure Ibra took a paycut coming to United.

SirScholes

Waste of a cafe member

SirScholes

Sure, if we had a striker that would never miss a chance we would have a lot more points. =l
Someone should tell Woodward to find that guy asap.

If the striker is to get all the blame for the points we've lost when he didn't score then he should also get all the credit for the points we got when he did score/assist, no?
Or maybe piss poor logic doesn't work both ways..

I saw someone say that if Zlatan would have buried that chance against Stoke in the first minute we would've won the game, i.e Zlatan lost us two points. Scoring one goal isn't some magical guarantee of 3 points, especially in the first fecking minute even how crazy it all may sound..
What about the 5-6 other chances that Pogba, Lingard etc had that they also missed? Or De gea's crap goaltending for the equalizer. But no.. it's all one players fault, naturally.

It's so easy to see the people who don't like him (and I'm well aware we who do are pretty easy to spot as well..:D), for example against Liverpool we didn't win a point due to De Gea's saves, we lost two because of Zlatan's miss.. It's such a naive way of looking at it.
It also seems as if people think that the golden goal rule has been implemented to our games this season because if Zlatan would've scored those missed chances the games would've been over the next second, which I'm afraid isn't the case. (apart from Burnley..)

I'm just tired of seeing people say that we should have had x points if Zlatan scored those chances because it's, at best, a lazy 'what if' argument no matter how you look at it.
It's not lazy we aren't asking him to take every chance we just expect him not to miss every easy chance he was presented with 3-4 games in a row.
Goals would of resulted in wins which means points which would boost team confidence

Handré1990

No, he was non existent vs Liverpool as well, missed a big chance (which you cant really blame him for, he probably got one chance all match. Missed loads against City including an open goal although scoring a nice goal.
Yeah, that was kind of my point. He wasn't exclusively bad in the City game. The way we played initially in the season he scored from one of one or two chances, since we didn't really create as much then, while he has been guilty of missing some absolute sitters of late. It evens out, he hasn't been amazing overall, but far from terrible, as some will have me believe. He's been okay, and as some pointed out, our best performer as striker since RVP. Because he creates and gets a lot of chances I think he'll be seen as a good signing come May.

SirScholes

I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings, but I didn't make it personal.
So your post didn't say anything except well you thought Rooney played well, and that is staying on topic....ok been an absolute great discussion pleased there are members like you here

Handré1990

So your post didn't say anything except well you thought Rooney played well, and that is staying on topic....ok been an absolute great discussion pleased there are members like you here
No, if you didn't get it, I challenged your double standards wrt Zlatan's performances, by showing that your standard for accepted quality is very, very different for Rooney. You said he was class vs Arsenal while at the next turn complained over Zlatan's performances over the season so far. Rooney hasn't been class in any games this season, he might have come close vs Swansea, when he had two assists (allbeit not very classy ones), and should have had one more which would have been classy, if not for Mata(?) missing the goal.

We good?:)

Zlaatan

Parody Account
It's not lazy we aren't asking him to take every chance we just expect him not to miss every easy chance he was presented with 3-4 games in a row.
Goals would of resulted in wins which means points which would boost team confidence
Should he have scored more goals? Hell yes, any respectable CF shouldn't miss that many good chances. But it wouldn't have been some guarantee for 3 points in any game except against Burnley.
And it is extremely lazy to pick out one players missed chances as the reason for lost points and completely ignore what happened during the rest of those 90min.

Status
Not open for further replies.