6.2 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fracture90

I agree, he shouldn't play full 90 minutes constantly and I really don't know what the reason is. But Ibra's created the most chances, scored the most goals and is 3rd with assists in the team.
Actually according to Squawka, Pogba created the most chances. And Zlatan's assist count is consistent with someone who's playing 90 minutes all the time.

RedMaestro

Actually according to Squawka, Pogba created the most chances. And Zlatan's assist count is consistent with someone who's playing 90 minutes all the time.
Don't know which is newer, but this one:

Well, actually both Pogba and Ibra could potentially have had 10 more assists...

RedMaestro

Good to hear:

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11667/10791205/zlatan-ibrahimovic-blames-himself-for-man-united-draw-against-Bournemouth

"We are very disappointed," Ibrahimovic told MUTV. "We should have won. I take the blame. I missed the penalty. I had a lot of chances and should have scored.

"I didn't and I take fully the responsibility and I will rise from this and come back even stronger and continue. This is nothing unusual, it has happened before and it can happen again.

"We'll keep working, keep going and keep our heads up. I mean if you create so many chances, you should score. You expect to score, you want to score. We missed a lot of opportunities today and I should have scored.

"We only took only one point and it should have been there with the situation we had, the advantage of playing one more. We should have closed the game already in the first half."

"We learn from every game," Ibrahimovic added. "We played today and we learned something. I learned something, everybody learned something.

"The next game is the cup [the Europa League tie at FC Rostov] and let's hope we don't repeat what we did today."

Terminator

Bit unfair on Ibra. He only a week ago scored two goals - the second was his only chance and he took it. He's basically had a good conversion rate lately. This Bournemouth game was just like those during his drought period - days when everything goes wrong. No striker in the world can score on every chance they get. For instance - Diego Costa mid Jan 4 to Feb 12 - 10 shots, 5 on target, 5 off target, 1 goal - does that mean he's bad? No, it has to do with form. I do think Ibra's game was bad yesterday due to physical and mental fatigue.

How can some in here have short memory. Ibra has helped the team a lot of times and should be "allowed" to have off days - and then his teammates should help scoring. Other top teams have at least one more player on 10+ goals. A world class team has to have wingers on 10+ and a midfielder on about 10 - it won't work like this when Ibra has to do everything. When he has an off day, the team can't win. So it's not fair on him, because like I said, it's impossible to score all the time.
Ibra has scored 15 in 26 PL games which is good but nothing extraordinary. For the amount of chances we create, it's poor for the lone striker to have a worse goal-to-minute than Defoe, Giroud, Kane, Diego Costa just to name a few. Our big chance conversion rate is the worst in the PL and the problem starts right from the top with Ibrahimovic. The others should also improve, I'm not putting the whole blame on Ibra.

Shuriken

The problem with Zlatan isn't a case of ability. It's not about key passes, shot accuracy or conversion rate (even though he's taken surprisingly few shots from outside the box) – despite the clear cut chances he's missed this season.

I can list the crucial misses, but it's pointless considering the number of goals he's scored as well. Also, as some others already have pointed out, it's pretty much impossible to score on each and every goal scoring chance. Besides, all players have off-days! All-in-all, he's a fantastic footballer in general and world class striker.

Zlatan's real problem and what usually impacts his team is his some times extracurricular activities on the pitch, drawing too much of the wrong type of attention to himself and most importantly, effecting the team negatively.

Yesterday against Bournemouth, we're up 1–0, we're actually playing good football. All of the sudden, the crowd reacts. What happened? Nothing football wise, that became evident quickly. I thought to myself, oh oh, hopefully our momentum doesn't get distraught. It did. Mings is just trying to mark him in a next to nothing open play. Pretty standard in-the-face marking from a defender, trying to get in under the opponent's skin. Well, it worked didn't it… for some reason, Zlatan loses his cool, his head and tosses/wrestles down Mings out of nowhere, basically for being marked. Classic Zlatan-puffing-up-his-chest.

This is what started the disgraceful sceneries for the remainder of the match, disrupting our thus far playing rhythm, and ultimately, his own focus and mental commitment, pretty evident in that penalty miss. That was a weakly struck penalty, by Zlatan's standards. He always goes for the bottom left corner, the goalkeepers who actually read this seldom have a chance to save them anyway though, because of the sheer power. I've lost count of how many of those penalties he's scored, he's scored them so bloody often. Just YouTube it for reference. But more than that penalty strike, there were also so many starts-and-stops in the second half, borderline comical. Even if we had won this match, there's no denying the fact what actually happened yesterday.

Zlatan should've definitely been yellow carded for the first wrestling grapple, surely one of the assistant referees must had seen that infraction? He wasn't, and Mings follows it all up with that disgusting stomp (100% intentional, anyone denying it hasn't actually analysed the situation), and Zlatan follows it up with an equally 100% intentional elbow moments later. Can't say I blame him for that one though.

Mings should get at least a 5-match suspension for that, and Zlatan perhaps a 3-match suspension for the elbow. Perhaps a match extra, making it 4, also factoring in his wrestling grapple? We shall see.

Zlatan has done this countless of times. We've been pretty lucky this season because he hasn't done the stuff he usually has done in his career, and the times he has, they have been a bit more "minor" and he's gotten away with it (his heel-stomp on Coleman earlier this season comes to mind, 100% intentional as well, 100% Zlatanesque). I've actually been waiting for a moment like this, because sooner or later he was going to fall back into his old inevitable bad-boy-manners. Yesterday was just a clear example of it, and the main issue plaguing Zlatan his whole career. His arrogance is a strange charming part of him and in some ways contribute to his abilities too, but there are downsides to it as well. Unfortunately, more times than not, it hurts the team.

This is Zlatan, this is why his teams don't win the Champions League, regardless of their competence, because he becomes the focal point, for all kinds of reasons, and football is a team sport. He wants it to be about him, no matter how much he talks about his team. More often than not he's more concerned about and speaks in terms of himself rather than the collective, even if he says otherwise in his interviews.

I like Zlatan, but Zlatan giveth, and Zlatan taketh. I'm neither emotional or trying to bash him, just merely pointing out my impressions of him.

/a Swede who's been following his career very closely for the past 15 years or so

Last edited:
Reactions: Invictus

Janson

That's exactly why you should be taking him off. Because you need to score goals and he's being bad at it in this game.

Believe it or not, that's what substitutions are for. Taking off players that are playing badly. Crazy isn't it?

If your best defender was having an absolute shitter of a game would you not take him off because "we need to keep a clean sheet and he's out best defender"?
So if our only goal threat had a bad half, he should be of? Do you ever see Costa, Sanchez or Kane being subed after having a bad half?

The bit in bold goes for your average players who are replaceable, like Martial, Rashford, Mata, Lingard. Zlatan and Pogba in particular are players you never take of, since they are that important to the team, and even if playing badly they can come up with something out of nothing. They are untouchable the same way some of the Chelsea players were when Mourinho was there.

MadMike

So if our only goal threat had a bad half, he should be of? Do you ever see Costa, Sanchez or Kane being subed after having a bad half?

The bit in bold goes for your average players who are replaceable, like Martial, Rashford, Mata, Lingard. Zlatan and Pogba in particular are players you never take of, since they are that important to the team, and even if playing badly they can come up with something out of nothing. They are untouchable the same way some of the Chelsea players were when Mourinho was there.
The main reason why he should be off at half time, is because he was on a yellow, was getting in all sorts of spats and after the ref saw the elbow at the interval, he'd be looking for an excuse to send him off and level things up. And on top of that he was a bad.

Failing that, when the subs happened at circa 65-70 mins, he should have gone off as he was still being bad.

By your argument every player that is your best player in that position, should never be substituted, however bad he's playing. What a bizarre approach.

EDIT: And Kane has been subbed in 9 games this season. Some of which they weren't winning. I can't be bothered to search for every other player. But only Ibra is unsubbed all season.

jackofalltrades

You are aware of that Ibra is one of the better penalty scorers in the world? Pogba gets free kick chances, but he hasn't scored yet, or has he? Ibra has at least two (the crap one against St. Etienne and the beautiful one against Southampton in the EFL final).
I agree but yesterday was not his day, it was a poor penalty.

Treble

Big chances missed:

Zlatan 17
Sanchez 7
Kane 6
Costa 6

Zlatan's in a league of his own.

Admittedly, he's been excellent in the cups but in the league he's been very wasteful and if anything he's letting the team down. United create much more big chances for him than other teams for their main striker. But the other top teams score much more golas.

Janson

The main reason why he should be off at half time, is because he was on a yellow, was getting in all sorts of spats and after the ref saw the elbow at the interval, he'd be looking for an excuse to send him off and level things up. And on top of that he was a bad.

Failing that, when the subs happened at circa 65-70 mins, he should have gone off as he was still being bad.

By your argument every player that is your best player in that position, should never be substituted, however bad he's playing. What a bizarre approach.

EDIT: And Kane has been subbed in 9 games this season. Some of which they weren't winning. I can't be bothered to search for every other player. But only Ibra is unsubbed all season.
Elbowing that guy was really stupid from him and I think he deserves a retrospective ban for it, no question. But I think Mourinho trusts such an experienced player not to get himself in more trouble in second half.

The bold, yeah it's really bizzare, Mourinho has no idea what he's doing. Maybe you should go teach him a thing or two about how substitutions work.:lol:
And I didn't say every player that's best in his position but your star players, the untouchables.

MadMike

The bold, yeah it's really bizzare, Mourinho has no idea what he's doing. Maybe you should go teach him a thing or two about how substitutions work.:lol:
Again, such a bizarre statement. Because we're just people on the internet and he's the actual manager it means that everything he does is right? Or that we're automatically at fault for criticising it? What's the point of this forum then? And If he's doing everything right how come we're 6th considering the money and the squad at our disposal?

Since you believe that it's right that a 35yo Ibra never gets subbed and you believe that there should be "untouchables" in the team... I don't really think we have much else to discuss on this. Our views are very different so let's drop it.

Zlaatan

Parody Account
It seems my eye rolling technique is improving for every time I read through this thread..
Yes Zlatan was terrible yesterday bar the two headers to Pogba in the final minutes. He deserves all the stick he gets for that game imo. It's funny though how the people who are less than thrilled about having him in the team rushes out of hiding as soon as they see a chance.. and all they do is repeat the same arguments over and over, even when the guy they're critizing was a major influence in the cup title win just a few days prior.
Can the one's who blame Zlatan's missed chances for us still being just 6th sit down and think over just how rediculous that argument is? It was rediculous 3 months ago and it's even more rediculous now. It's the mother of all hypothetical "if" arguments and it won't become any better no matter how many times you say it.

Saying that we would probably score more goals if our top scorer and chance creator wasn't in the team is another one of those gems.. I'm not sure but I don't think Mourinho prefers to be in the 6th with Zlatan playing every game rather than in the top 4 with Zlatan on the bench.. If he had a system without Zlatan where he could see us playing better then he would play that system, simple as.

Keane was spot on when he was talking about how we're still 6th despite all the talk of United being back but I think he chose the wrong person to frame that narrative.

Zlatan's talked about himself "already conquering England" or how he's a "winner" but his profiligacy has been a big reason why we're still just sixth.

Scoring goals as a United forward is a given. We shouldn't be handing out plaudits to anybody who comes in and does that bare minimum.
I don't remember exactly but hasn't he scored more goals up til this part of the season than any other player we've had in the last 15 years except Ronaldo and Rooney in 08 and 09 (both in title winning/CL finalist teams)? But nah, if he isn't on a world record goal scoring run a la prime Messi then we should just shrug our shoulders at whatever he achieves, right?

This is not an excuse, who were we playing Madrid or Byern or was he in Baggio's situation? part of his dozens of miss certain goal chances by him but speaking of the penalty I'd excuse him a bit if he tried with a hard shot but the GK was superman and saved it, but to shoot it the way he did yesterday is so frustrating and shows lot of irresponsibility, the penalty would've taken us a place ahead after many critics to our 6th position in a tough top4 fight and he ruined it.. There's no excuse, the only satisfying thing is that he admitted his fault
:confused:

Ibra has scored 15 in 26 PL games which is good but nothing extraordinary. For the amount of chances we create, it's poor for the lone striker to have a worse goal-to-minute than Defoe, Giroud, Kane, Diego Costa just to name a few. Our big chance conversion rate is the worst in the PL and the problem starts right from the top with Ibrahimovic. The others should also improve, I'm not putting the whole blame on Ibra.
Kane has been the PL top scorer for the past two seasons and is the current top scorer right now, Costa is playing in the best team in the league and is a proven striker who's joint 2nd. Why exactly is it poor to have worse goal-to-minute ratio than them?

Janson

Again, such a bizarre statement. Because we're just people on the internet and he's the actual manager it means that everything he does is right? Or that we're automatically at fault for criticising it? What's the point of this forum then? And If he's doing everything right how come we're 6th considering the money and the squad at our disposal?

Since you believe that it's right that a 35yo Ibra never gets subbed and you believe that there should be "untouchables" in the team... I don't really think we have much else to discuss on this. Our views are very different so let's drop it.
It doesn't mean everything he does is right, and I didn't say you are at fault for critisizing him, you have a right to an opinion. But I'm also allowed to ridicule your opinion because I think it's absurd and has no connection to the reality of how a top manager makes decisions regarding subs.

And why are we in sixth place? Maybe because we have one person carying the team with little contribution from other attackers.

Yes, I think it's right that our star players should be untouchable. Mourinho has had those at Chelsea and other clubs, and look how wrong he was all these years while becoming one of the best in the world. But no, some random poster on the caf has a better understanding of how to manage a club.

MadMike

Kane has been the PL top scorer for the past two seasons and is the current top scorer right now, Costa is playing in the best team in the league and is a proven striker who's joint 2nd. Why exactly is it poor to have worse goal-to-minute ratio than them?
I agree with most of what you say... but. It's not just the goals-to-minutes ratio. He takes more shots-per-goal than them and misses more clear-cut (big) chances than them. You can find the stats in this thread. In the league, compared to the other top strikers, he has been profligate. That's not a subject for debate, that's a fact.

Still love having him. I just want us to be less reliant on him and to have a plan B when he's having a stinker. Which happens more often than people think in here. He's been great in the cups but his league form has not been great and that's partly reflected in our league position.

Last edited:

RedMaestro

I'm not disagreeing with you, but I actually think that the main reason for him staying is him also being good at the defensive duties i.e. corners, where he almost takes care of all of them. So by replacing him, he'll also have to sub in Fellaini to do Ibra's "job" in that department, and that is clearly something he doesn't want to do. Ibra's not good at just one thing. But like I said, I'm not disagreeing, just trying to understand Mourinho's way of thinking - if I'm right or not is a different question.

RedMaestro

Big chances missed:

Zlatan 17
Sanchez 7
Kane 6
Costa 6

Zlatan's in a league of his own.

Admittedly, he's been excellent in the cups but in the league he's been very wasteful and if anything he's letting the team down. United create much more big chances for him than other teams for their main striker. But the other top teams score much more golas.
Do you have the same stats for the other players in the team?

red4ever 79

Mings should get at least 10 if Ibra gets 3. It's a miracle Ibra didn't get unconscious.
Both were bad. I dont blame Ibra one bit. If that happened to me I would have done the same. However Ibra's was also dangerous and was pre-mediated. I dont know if you remember the Fashanu one on Mabbutt one years ago? Both incidents were bad.

Janson

I'm not disagreeing with you, but I actually think that the main reason for him staying is him also being good at the defensive duties i.e. corners, where he almost takes care of all of them. So by replacing him, he'll also have to sub in Fellaini to do Ibra's "job" in that department, and that is clearly something he doesn't want to do. Ibra's not good at just one thing. But like I said, I'm not disagreeing, just trying to understand Mourinho's way of thinking - if I'm right or not is a different question.
I don't believe it's the defensive part of his game, why he's leaving him on. It's not like we had any defending to do against 10 men. The reason is, and has always been even back at Inter that he's just to important for the attack to be subed. He can come up with something out of nowhere at any time, regardless of how bad he has been in the match. And there are no better alternatives either.

RedMaestro

I don't remember exactly but hasn't he scored more goals up til this part of the season than any other player we've had in the last 15 years except Ronaldo and Rooney in 08 and 09 (both in title winning/CL finalist teams)? But nah, if he isn't on a world record goal scoring run a la prime Messi then we should just shrug our shoulders at whatever he achieves, right?
Found this, a bit old, from Jan 16, but:
The 35-year old has so far scored 16 goals since his summer move from Paris St Germain to Old Trafford. No player has scored more goals at this stage of the season at the club since Ruud van Nistelrooy managed 18 goals in 2002.

Robin van Persie scored 15 goals at the same stage in the 2012/2013 season and that season happened to be the player’s most prolific campaign for the Red Devils. He struck a whopping 30 goals during the season and no other Man United player has managed to beat that goal haul since 2012.

Cristiano Ronaldo’s best at the same stage of the season came in the 2007/2008 campaign when he scored 14 goals, a record which was matched by Wayne Rooney four years later.

But Rooney and Ronaldo’s goal haul was later surpassed by van Persie in his debut season at Old Trafford in 2012.

Goals for Man United at This Stage of the Season

Ruud van Nistelrooy (2002) – 18

Zlatan Ibrahimovic (2016) – 16

Robin van Persie (2012) – 15

Cristiano Ronaldo (2007) – 14

Wayne Rooney (2011) – 14
Big difference is they were in their peak, Ibra's 35 years old...

Janson

Both were bad. I dont blame Ibra one bit. If that happened to me I would have done the same. However Ibra's was also dangerous and was pre-mediated. I dont know if you remember the Fashanu one on Mabbutt one years ago? Both incidents were bad.
There is absolutely no excuse for Zlatan elbowing. No matter what the guy's done to him. That's really unprofessinal for such an experienced player who's supposed to be a role model. I know it's a one of but that was incredibly stupid and selfish not considering how this could hurt the team.

SfcNervion

Supports
Sevilla FC
The problem with Zlatan isn't a case of ability. It's not about key passes, shot accuracy or conversion rate (even though he's taken surprisingly few shots from outside the box) – despite the clear cut chances he's missed this season.

I can list the crucial misses, but it's pointless considering the number of goals he's scored as well. Also, as some others already have pointed out, it's pretty much impossible to score on each and every goal scoring chance. Besides, all players have off-days! All-in-all, he's a fantastic footballer in general and world class striker.

Zlatan's real problem and what usually impacts his team is his some times extracurricular activities on the pitch, drawing too much of the wrong type of attention to himself and most importantly, effecting the team negatively.

Yesterday against Bournemouth, we're up 1–0, we're actually playing good football. All of the sudden, the crowd reacts. What happened? Nothing football wise, that became evident quickly. I thought to myself, oh oh, hopefully our momentum doesn't get distraught. It did. Mings is just trying to mark him in a next to nothing open play. Pretty standard in-the-face marking from a defender, trying to get in under the opponent's skin. Well, it worked didn't it… for some reason, Zlatan loses his cool, his head and tosses/wrestles down Mings out of nowhere, basically for being marked. Classic Zlatan-puffing-up-his-chest.

This is what started the disgraceful sceneries for the remainder of the match, disrupting our thus far playing rhythm, and ultimately, his own focus and mental commitment, pretty evident in that penalty miss. That was a weakly struck penalty, by Zlatan's standards. He always goes for the bottom left corner, the goalkeepers who actually read this seldom have a chance to save them anyway though, because of the sheer power. I've lost count of how many of those penalties he's scored, he's scored them so bloody often. Just YouTube it for reference. But more than that penalty strike, there were also so many starts-and-stops in the second half, borderline comical. Even if we had won this match, there's no denying the fact what actually happened yesterday.

Zlatan should've definitely been yellow carded for the first wrestling grapple, surely one of the assistant referees must had seen that infraction? He wasn't, and Mings follows it all up with that disgusting stomp (100% intentional, anyone denying it hasn't actually analysed the situation), and Zlatan follows it up with an equally 100% intentional elbow moments later. Can't say I blame him for that one though.

Mings should get at least a 5-match suspension for that, and Zlatan perhaps a 3-match suspension for the elbow. Perhaps a match extra, making it 4, also factoring in his wrestling grapple? We shall see.

Zlatan has done this countless of times. We've been pretty lucky this season because he hasn't done the stuff he usually has done in his career, and the times he has, they have been a bit more "minor" and he's gotten away with it (his heel-stomp on Coleman earlier this season comes to mind, 100% intentional as well, 100% Zlatanesque). I've actually been waiting for a moment like this, because sooner or later he was going to fall back into his old inevitable bad-boy-manners. Yesterday was just a clear example of it, and the main issue plaguing Zlatan his whole career. His arrogance is a strange charming part of him and in some ways contribute to his abilities too, but there are downsides to it as well. Unfortunately, more times than not, it hurts the team.

This is Zlatan, this is why his teams don't win the Champions League, regardless of their competence, because he becomes the focal point, for all kinds of reasons, and football is a team sport. He wants it to be about him, no matter how much he talks about his team. More often than not he's more concerned about and speaks in terms of himself rather than the collective, even if he says otherwise in his interviews.

I like Zlatan, but Zlatan giveth, and Zlatan taketh. I'm neither emotional or trying to bash him, just merely pointing out my impressions of him.

/a Swede who's been following his career very closely for the past 15 years or so
This. As a fellow Swede, I couldn't agree more:) Like Zlatan and his charm, but my overall impression about the advantages and didadvantages that comes with him are exactly similar.

RedMaestro

There is absolutely no excuse for Zlatan elbowing. No matter what the guy's done to him. That's really unprofessinal for such an experienced player who's supposed to be a role model. I know it's a one of but that was incredibly stupid and selfish not considering how this could hurt the team.
We don't know what happened during the game between those two. Some things don't turn up on camera. But Ming's must have done quite a few things before his stamp on his head. Because Ibra doesn't get frustrated like this anymore. 5-10 years ago, yes, but not that much anymore. He's not a machine, he's human - but I think him being "overused" could have to do with this also, being mentally and physically tired, it's harder to control yourself when "things go wrong".

But you're right. There's absolutely no excuse for what either of them have done, I'm just saying that these things happen sometimes in football - thankfully not that much anymore.

I actually think this likely suspension will be a good thing - Mourinho will have an excuse to try something new. And if it works, then he'll use it a couple of times even when Ibra's not suspended. And if it doesn't then he'll just continue the same way he's done before.

Zlaatan

Parody Account
Did you read the sentence before the one you bolded?
Yes I did. I'm not saying that it was the best penalty ever taken but it was far, far from the worst. You can't have seen a lot of penalties if you were frustrated by this one and that he "showed a lot of irresponsibility".. whatever that means.

Janson

We don't know what happened during the game between those two. Some things don't turn up on camera. But Ming's must have done quite a few things before his stamp on his head. Because Ibra doesn't get frustrated like this anymore. 5-10 years ago, yes, but not that much anymore. He's not a machine, he's human - but I think him being "overused" could have to do with this also, being mentally and physically tired, it's harder to control yourself when "things go wrong".

But you're right. There's absolutely no excuse for what either of them have done, I'm just saying that these things happen sometimes in football - thankfully not that much anymore.

I actually think this likely suspension will be a good thing - Mourinho will have an excuse to try something new. And if it works, then he'll use it a couple of times even when Ibra's not suspended. And if it doesn't then he'll just continue the same way he's done before.
He has cut that part of his game out a while ago, that's why I was so surprised how he could do something like that. But he is only human as you say and these things happen. Let's just hope he learns from it.

I don't agree though that the ban could be positive for us. Mourinho doesn't need an excuse to try someone else upfront. If he thought that's a viable option, then he would have tried it more.

Dobbs

Found this, a bit old, from Jan 16, but:

Big difference is they were in their peak, Ibra's 35 years old...
They're also playing in different teams and in different positions. I'm not saying comparing to previous players is completely invalid but I'm not sure it's much use either.

However you look at it he's scored 15 in the league. It's a decent amount. It's not great though. One ahead of Defoe, a couple ahead of Ali. It's only six more than Troy Deeney. Given his status, his position and the team he plays for I don't think anybody could be blown away by his league form.

I'm not particularly criticising Zlatan over this but it's not some incredible amount of goals that's irreplaceable.

I'm not purposely ignoring his cup goals either. He's done well in those comps but the league is the priority.

RedMaestro

Yes, it's dangerous. But at the same it looks as if Mings "mistimed" the jump and couldn't get high enough. Don't forget that they are the same height. Ibra usually does this, puts a lot of force on the opponents chest. So I hope that it wasn't an intentional elbow on his head, but planned to be on the chest.

But you are right. Hopefully a suspension will give Ibra some "well deserved" rest. He looked like he was going to collapse after the Southampton match. There was a "scene" where after the celebration when Ibra leaned towards someone and almost looked like he was going to faint - Pogba was next to him and saying some encouraging words, but Paul looked worried then. Don't know if I'm remembering wrong but that's something I think happened. I would like to see some clips on that but can't find any, so I don't know if I remember correctly or not.

RedMaestro

He has cut that part of his game out a while ago, that's why I was so surprised how he could do something like that. But he is only human as you say and these things happen. Let's just hope he learns from it.

I don't agree though that the ban could be positive for us. Mourinho doesn't need an excuse to try someone else upfront. If he thought that's a viable option, then he would have tried it more.
Well, I was meaning, he won't make changes when everythings working (Ibra's doing well). This way he can try something without giving any explanations. It's never good to change things while everything going well.

Janson

Well, I was meaning, he won't make changes when everythings working (Ibra's doing well). This way he can try something without giving any explanations. It's never good to change things while everything going well.
Yeah, I understand what you mean now. It will be interesting to see how the youngsters fare by themselves.

RedMaestro

They're also playing in different teams and in different positions. I'm not saying comparing to previous players is completely invalid but I'm not sure it's much use either.

However you look at it he's scored 15 in the league. It's a decent amount. It's not great though. One ahead of Defoe, a couple ahead of Ali. It's only six more than Troy Deeney. Given his status, his position and the team he plays for I don't think anybody could be blown away by his league form.

I'm not particularly criticising Zlatan over this but it's not some incredible amount of goals that's irreplaceable.

I'm not purposely ignoring his cup goals either. He's done well in those comps but the league is the priority.
You're right in everything you said, but if you think like that then you should think of how many goals the others make comparing with the other top 6 teams:

Manchester United, 39 goals = Ibra-15, Mata-6, Pogba-4, Mkhi-3, Martial-3, Rashford-3
Chelsea, 55 goals = Costa-16, Hazard-10, Pedro-7, Willian-5, [Irrelevant point]-4
Arsenal, 55 goals = Sanchez-17, Giroud-8, Walcott-8, Ozil-5, Iwobi-3
Spurs, 53 goals = Kane-19, Alli-13, Song-7, Eriksen-5, Rose-2
Liverpool, 58 goals = Mane-12, Firmino-9, Lallana-7, Coutinho-6, Milner-6
Manchester City, 53 goals = Aguero-12, Sterling-6, Nolito-4, De Bruyne-4, Iheanacho-4, Toure-4

It's probably clear to everyone what the problem is?

Status
Not open for further replies.