Álvaro Morata | Performances

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Bit of a nightmare start for him today. Directly responsible for the goal they conceded, missed the crucial penalty in the shootout and struggled to get involved in the game outside of that.

Curious to see how things work out for him. For someone without a natural goalscoring instinct you wonder if he'll struggle under the pressure of being the main goal threat in a team without many obvious goalscorers.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Like you say I'm not sure he's capable of being the main man with all the responsibility. Didn't look great today and when the pressure was on he made a mess of it. Ultimately though, only time will tell but no one can take any confidence from that performance today.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I'm pleased we've gone for the proven goal scorer but I'm not going to write him off just yet.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
He looks a wee bit miserable.

Has been so since he showed up at the airport really.

OneUnited24

Was always a funny one. Chelseas style of play needs a big target man, not someone who is better with the ball on the ground.

If anything we went for the Chelsea type striker and they went for ours. I wont care as long as Lukaku outscores him!

D2Z

Supports
Undercover "Chelsea fan" ;)
Bit of a nightmare start for him today. Directly responsible for the goal they conceded, missed the crucial penalty in the shootout and struggled to get involved in the game outside of that.

Curious to see how things work out for him. For someone without a natural goalscoring instinct you wonder if he'll struggle under the pressure of being the main goal threat in a team without many obvious goalscorers.
Are you confusing Cesc with Morata??? That was Cesc who kept everyone onside, not Morata :houllier:

Regardless, he was shite today and that penalty was abysmal.

PoTMS

He's a very talented player but he's had a nightmare today. Massive step down from Costa. Conte has fecked up massively with that Costa text.

I'm so glad we got Lukaku instead. Don't feel sorry for Morata at all. If he wanted to move to us that badly, he would've made sure it happened, especially when Chelsea bought him a couple weeks later for £60m.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
He looks a wee bit miserable.

Has been so since he showed up at the airport really.
Not surprising, you think you're going to sign for United, that falls through, then you end up at Chelsea and the manager is talking as if you're the consolation prize.
I'd be miserable too.

Kapardin

Not so sure Conte rates him. If he is not match-fit, this was the perfect game to start. He clearly looks nervous compared to the likes of Lacazette, Lukaku etc, which is never a good way to begin.

His relationship with Conte will be crucial to how he performs this season. Twitter is already labelling him as the Spanish Welbeck.

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
Waste of money, clearly. Bullet dodged, etc.

Let's start drawing conclusions based on 15 minutes in a community shield game, guys!

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
Don't think he can be a first choice for a team who want to win silverwares. He was first choice at Juventus, but he didn't score 20 goals in the league.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
The fee Madrid wanted for him was ridiculous, for a guy who's never been the main striker or a sub. I like the player but I'm glad we refused to get fleeced by Real Madrid. Lukaku gives me more reassurances in terms of pure goalscoring. However it is pretty fecking early so let's be patient before making any conclusion

The United Irishman

"Martial is championship material at best"
If you are going to cost 70m you should be making an instant impact in your first competitive game. Anyone remember Van Nistlerooy's first league game? *Edit his debut was against Liverpool in the CS and he also scored.

Pace Abuser

So far I'm being proved very wrong as I wanted Morata at United over Lukaku. Long may it continue, though too early to say yet.

Morpheus 7

A bit early to making assumptions about Morata. Glad we have Lukaku but Alvaro is a good player. It will take him time to adapt I think, the pressure will increase. Needs a goal soon for his confidence.

Brwned

Typical caf, guy has barely trained gets on the pitch for the first time has a poorish game and its "wow bullet dodged", "he's Rubbish"

Sod's law he will dominate and no one will bring this up lol.
Has someone said "wow bullet dodged" in this thread?

Are you confusing Cesc with Morata??? That was Cesc who kept everyone onside, not Morata :houllier:

Regardless, he was shite today and that penalty was abysmal.
Chill out with your :houllier:. Have another look at the video. Morata was the one in the middle, Cesc was towards the bottom of the image in on his own. Easy mistake by the commentator but it's probably better to check for yourself before getting childish about it.

Drifter

American
Might be one of those players that will need a season to get up to speed .Or he could end up like Torres.

Akshay

Staff
He's a very talented player but he's had a nightmare today. Massive step down from Costa. Conte has fecked up massively with that Costa text.

I'm so glad we got Lukaku instead. Don't feel sorry for Morata at all. If he wanted to move to us that badly, he would've made sure it happened, especially when Chelsea bought him a couple weeks later for £60m.
Can't really blame Morata for that, Perez as good as came out and said that it was going to be the club's decision and they didn't care what he wanted. Bench players don't really have that much influence.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Typical caf, guy has barely trained gets on the pitch for the first time has a poorish game and its "wow bullet dodged", "he's Rubbish"

Sod's law he will dominate and no one will bring this up lol.
This.

LoneStar

I'm glad we went for a PL proven striker in Lukaku. Like I said, Morata is a big step down from Costa. With Hazard out for a while, they'll struggle this season. Conte made a huge mistake with the way he treated Costa. Yes, he may be a cnut, but he's one of the best PL players.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Might be one of those players that will need a season to get up to speed .Or he could end up like Torres.
Chelsea currently cannot afford to wait for that though, he's their number one striker as things stand...

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Yeah, he won silverwares, but Juventus's style of play was based a lot on their midfielders.
You said "Don't think he can be a first choice for a team who want to win silverwares". The only team he has been first choice at won silverwares. The team he was not first choice at also won silverwares. Either way, he's a winner!

EyeInTheSky

Has someone said "wow bullet dodged" in this thread?

Chill out with your :houllier:. Have another look at the video. Morata was the one in the middle, Cesc was towards the bottom of the image in on his own. Easy mistake by the commentator but it's probably better to check for yourself before getting childish about it.

nope, but it's being implied. I am not going to quote every time someone says that on the caf because that's all I would be doing forever. I am talking about the usual type of talk in this scenario.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Based on the 17 minute cameo I think we can safely discard the Italian Welbeck.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
I'm so glad we signed Lukaku over him. He's not fit to lace costa' boots.

Alabaster Codify7

Poor start. I reckon he's gonna flop. I had serious reservations about him replacing Zlatan given we'd be expecting 20-30 goals from him as our main man.

I don't think he's capable of replacing Costa's guaranteed goal return for Chelsea. He's not that kind of striker, for me, and Chelsea will suffer as a result. I can see him getting around 15 goals for them in the league, so theyre gonna need others to raise their game.

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
You said "Don't think he can be a first choice for a team who want to win silverwares". The only team he has been first choice at won silverwares. The team he was not first choice at also won silverwares. Either way, he's a winner!
You didn't get my point. He won with Juventus and was first choice, but he didn't show to be a striker capable of scoring more than 20 goals during a season. Still early though.

Brwned

Did Juve win anything when he was first choice there?
He's never been first choice at any club he's been at. He started 14 league games last season, 16 the season before and 11 the season before. Or if you want to look at minutes played it was 1330 for Madrid, then 1455 and 1319 in the previous two seasons for Juve. He played slightly more in the CL for Juve than he did for Madrid but his role in the team last year wasn't dramatically different to what it was for Juve's if you look into it at all.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Based on today Chelsea are in trouble if he's their main man up front, Torres mrk II maybe or maybe not