g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Álvaro Morata | Performances

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Way too early to say he looks shit imho. Let's judge properly once he has a run of games and gets accustomed to Chelsea's set up.
He looked really nervous.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
You didn't get my point. He won with Juventus and was first choice, but he didn't show to be a striker capable of scoring more than 20 goals during a season. Still early though.
Didn't he mainly play wide? I agree with you though, he hasn't shown he can be a no1 striker, even at Juve

AXVnee7

I didn't think he was that bad but he should've made it 2-0 really and then his penalty was poor. I agree with those saying he seems to be a bit nervous.

However he showed flashes of good hold up play and he did make some decent runs.

If I were a Chelsea fan I'd be far more worried about the collective performance today rather than just Morata.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
You didn't get my point. He won with Juventus and was first choice, but he didn't show to be a striker capable of scoring more than 20 goals during a season. Still early though.
You're right, I though your point was that you "Don't think he can be a first choice for a team who want to win silverwares". No idea why I thought that.

RedCurry

Was always a funny one. Chelseas style of play needs a big target man, not someone who is better with the ball on the ground.

If anything we went for the Chelsea type striker and they went for ours. I wont care as long as Lukaku outscores him!
Morata being better than Lukaku with the ball on the ground is the biggest myth of the summer.

el3mel

The guy only played 15 minutes.

Plus Courtois penalty was natural to disturb the player shooting next.

If you want to blame someone for this defeat it's Pedro and Conte, not Morata.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
nope, but it's being implied. I am not going to quote every time someone says that on the caf because that's all I would be doing forever. I am talking about the usual type of talk in this scenario.
The posts in this thread before you were either saying that it's too early to criticise, he's a big step down from Costa or they're glad they got Lukaku. You can disagree with all of those points, but none of that is remotely similar to what you've said. Gotta' love a good ol' strawman.

OneUnited24

Morata being better than Lukaku with the ball on the ground is the biggest myth of the summer.
I still think thats the case. I always saw him as a second striker, not really one to play on the last man but rather the guy who benefits from the lay off.

hubbuh

I saw a video of him scoring from behind the corner spot in training. Wicked zinger technique. He's not very bullish though. Giroud 2.0. It'll be interesting to see how he reacts after a run of games without scoring.

Drifter

American
Chelsea currently cannot afford to wait for that though, he's their number one striker as things stand...
No doubt he will score goals ,but i'm not so sure he will be as prolific enough this season.

AshRK

Let us not be over critical of him. But have to say he looks dull , maybe not enjoying working with conte. Conte hasn't protected him the way jose has protected lukaku and pogba. Conte needs to manage him better.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
He does look miserable to be at Chelsea though.
Since Morata signed for Chelsea Conte has questioned his preparedness. Conte has also been reluctant to start him. A month ago he thought he was signing for Mourinho and Man Utd. You can see how that might affect his mindset.

I still think he's a quality player. Missing a penalty doesn't make you rubbish. However, with the way Conte is managing him I can see this move turning bad for Morata. It might just be a case of right move, wrong time.

Last edited:

RedCurry

I still think thats the case. I always saw him as a second striker, not really one to play on the last man but rather the guy who benefits from the lay off.
I won't disagree with that. I also don't think he's good enough yet to be a target man on his own. Having said that, I don't see anything in his game that might be better than Lukaku's. Just opinions of course.

Nick7

Can't judge him on today. Was only on and they went down to 10. Chelsea's shape completely changed then. Penalty miss was unfortunate but he hit the bar.

EyeInTheSky

The posts in this thread before you were either saying that it's too early to criticise, he's a big step down from Costa or they're glad they got Lukaku. You can disagree with all of those points, but none of that is remotely similar to what you've said. Gotta' love a good ol' strawman.
no, I am anticipating the typical BS which is happening as we speak.

I wouldn't worry about it too much though

AshRK

I didn't think he was that bad but he should've made it 2-0 really and then his penalty was poor. I agree with those saying he seems to be a bit nervous.

However he showed flashes of good hold up play and he did make some decent runs.

If I were a Chelsea fan I'd be far more worried about the collective performance today rather than just Morata.
If I were a Chelsea fan I'd be worried with Conte's sudden outburst. He hasn't been speaking sense since the end of the last season. Critical of the board, critical of his new players, critical of other managers. Losing his first season magic already.

Brwned

He wasn't first choice at Juve and that was probably because Conte didn't believe he could get the goals they needed to beat the majority of teams in the Serie A. He was the preferred option in tight games against top teams when his hold-up play, tactical understanding, workrate and involvement in the build-up were more important, but he only started 1/3 of games in the Serie A across two seasons for a reason.

It wouldn't be a huge surprise if he ends up playing a similar role for this team if Batshuayi scores a few goals and Morata struggles to hit the ground running.

Needham

It's astonishing how much he looks like a shy Ricky Martin.

El Jefe

Bit of a nightmare start for him today. Directly responsible for the goal they conceded, missed the crucial penalty in the shootout and struggled to get involved in the game outside of that.

Curious to see how things work out for him. For someone without a natural goalscoring instinct you wonder if he'll struggle under the pressure of being the main goal threat in a team without many obvious goalscorers.
Come on @Brwned that's a bit of an exaggeration.

He came on with less than 20mins to play and his team was down to 10 shortly after. Your concerns in the second part of the OP are valid but today was not a measure to judge him on at alll.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
He wasn't first choice at Juve and that was probably because Conte didn't believe he could get the goals they needed to beat the majority of teams in the Serie A. He was the preferred option in tight games against top teams when his hold-up play, tactical understanding, workrate and involvement in the build-up were more important, but he only started 1/3 of games in the Serie A across two seasons for a reason.
Conte was not manager at Juve when Morata was playing, was he? I don't think he managed him for a single game (I might be wrong).

Fooza

From what I see his body language is very negative and he's not oozing any confidence. I'm sure once he starts scoring it'll get better but he is no Diego Costa who will bully the defence. I'm hoping he'll end up being another Torres for them.

Brwned

Conte was not manager at Juve when Morata was playing, was he? I don't think he managed him for a single game (I might be wrong).
Nope, you're right. My bad! The point remains though - he's never proven he can be a starter for a title-winning team.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Sounds like we're attempting to fabricate reasons why we were correct in not buying him.

Brwned

no, I am anticipating the typical BS which is happening as we speak.

I wouldn't worry about it too much though
You've changed your story from "typical caftards saying x, y and z" to "ok so they're not saying it, but it's being implied" to "ok so it hasn't been implied but I'm anticipating it". That's quite something.

Devil_forever

You're only young once, you can be immature f'ever
Head of the naval division of lolibfascon
But the resident cafe experts told me that he's in the top 3 best available strikers in world football and had amazing stats, goals per minute galore.

Nah he's just plaininly shite and he'll be exposed as much as the season goes on.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Has someone said "wow bullet dodged" in this thread?

Chill out with your :houllier:. Have another look at the video. Morata was the one in the middle, Cesc was towards the bottom of the image in on his own. Easy mistake by the commentator but it's probably better to check for yourself before getting childish about it.

That "Kolasinac" pronunciation by the commentator :lol:

Nick7

Sounds like we're attempting to fabricate reasons why we were correct in not buying him.
Surely the only reason we were correct in not buying him was Mourinho wanted Lukaku more?

Raoul

Admin
Staff
But the resident cafe experts told me that he's in the top 3 best available strikers in world football and had amazing stats, goals per minute galore.

Nah he's just plaininly shite and he'll be exposed as much as the season goes on.
Classic BS kneejerking. The kid comes on for a few minutes and doesn't score in the Community Shield and this is somehow a thesis as to his quality.

AlecHDR

Angry, incoherent heterosexual slob
Way too early obviously but I've always had the impression that he is better playing next to someone in a two. Or alone but dropping back and being close to others to link up.

I don't think he could do what Costa did at the Etihad last year for example. Doesn't mean he is a bad player but a different type and Conte will have to adjust the tactics accordingly.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Surely the only reason we were correct in not buying him was Mourinho wanted Lukaku more?
I'm sure that's the convenient way to look at it now that we got Lukaku, but I doubt it was ever that simple. We were clearly interested in Morata as well.

Trizy

Nah Morata is quality but I don't think he'll ever reach 20 goals in the league as a main striker.