Álvaro Morata | Performances

OverratedOpinion

He is incredibly talented, does a lot of stuff very well but he seems to have been born to be a famous bottler. Every team just needs to accept that he cannot be your focal point in attack, it will always end in tears.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
It's interesting how much has changed. He actually wasn't a bottler-type striker for Juventus in 2014/15. He reached the CL final with them.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
The ref?

Heard Juventus should have had a penalty right before Barca made it 3-1, though i dont know, didnt watch the game.
Yeah, sorry I was mixing 15 and 17 up. 15 was another UEFAlona special. Although to be fair, Juve still weren't great that night.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
He's certainly not one of the best forwards out there.
He certainly is. The abuse from the internet mobs makes him much worse than he really is, but all the pieces of a world class wide forward are there: technique, speed, body work, passing, assists, even the scoring. Sure, he can’t be the main striking option at a top club because his conversion rate is pretty low and pressure just crushes him.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
The ref?

Heard Juventus should have had a penalty right before Barca made it 3-1, though i dont know, didnt watch the game.
Even worse… it was 1-1 at the hour, Dani Alves buried Pogba in the box and on the immediate counter they made 2-1.

Arios

Supports
Juventus
Yeah, sorry I was mixing 15 and 17 up. 15 was another UEFAlona special. Although to be fair, Juve still weren't great that night.
and 2015 Barca was the best Barca ever with all their top players at their best age.
Just to remember:
Neymar-Suarez-Messi
Xavi-Busquests-Rakitic
Alba-Mascherano-Pique-Dani Alves
Ter Stegen

and Iniesta as sub.
Every player was a star player

no uefalona shit. They were just better overall.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Is there a person in the world who didn't know he was going to miss the pen?
My dad said he’d miss because the biggest stars usually do so. If Morata is considered your ‘biggest star’ then you’ve got a problem…

hubbuh

He certainly is. The abuse from the internet mobs makes him much worse than he really is, but all the pieces of a world class wide forward are there: technique, speed, body work, passing, assists, even the scoring. Sure, he can’t be the main striking option at a top club because his conversion rate is pretty low and pressure just crushes him.
So he's not one of the best forwards, then? You don't expect the 'best' forwards to have a low conversion rate and to crumble under pressure. That's literally what separates the best from the rest.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
and 2015 Barca was the best Barca ever with all their top players at their best age.
Xavi moved to Qatar after the game, don't think he was at his best age.
Overall, though, Barcelona were always much more likely to win that game, can't blame it on Morata or anything like that.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
So he's not one of the best forwards, then? You don't expect the 'best' forwards to have a low conversion rate and to crumble under pressure. That's literally what separates the best from the rest.
He is top 3 in the world as a left forward in any 4-3-3 out there, for both quality and quantity. Just do not play him as the central striker, which is where most of his coaches prefer to slot (and expose) him.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
He is top 3 in the world as a left forward in any 4-3-3 out there, for both quality and quantity. Just do not play him as the central striker, which is where most of his coaches prefer to slot (and expose) him.
Whoa? Really? Top three or the left forward position? I think that's overstating the case.

Off the top of my head Rashford, Mane, Son and Grealish are four players that are definitely as good as Morata (IMO better) in that role.

Is Morata easily better than Insigne? Top three would mean you think only Neymar and Ronaldo are better than him in that inside left position? That seems an extreme position to take.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Whoa? Really? Top three or the left forward position? I think that's overstating the case.

Off the top of my head Rashford, Mane, Son and Grealish are four players that are definitely as good as Morata (IMO better) in that role.

Is Morata easily better than Insigne? Top three would mean you think only Neymar and Ronaldo are better than him in that inside left position? That seems an extreme position to take.
These are all great attacking players, mind. Morata also acts as the first high-line defender, though. We at Juve had a number of players needing to do both since the ‘90s, from Ravanelli under Lippi to Mandzukic under Allegri.

I am not overstating his strengths in order to hide his flaws, I am just insisting he is being made a scapegoat for narrative purposes. On this forum, mainly for the Lukaku dualism, who is a very good central striker (ask Conte).

cyberman

Sancho, Bernardo, Sterling, my granny..

hubbuh

I could not disagree with that more, but fair play.

I feel sorry for him. He's not missing all these chances on purpose. He's a very good player but he couldn't finish in Scarlett Johansson, as the saying goes. He's a Firminho type player who has excellent technique and work rate and can do everything the team requires, but when it comes to putting the ball in the net he needs a Mane or Salah to do it for him.

Oranges038

No bias there at all....

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Who then bottled the final?
Nobody, barcelona were just hilariously better and aside from a 10 minute spell where they shat their pants following Morata's goal, it just wasn't competitive

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Mentally weak. Pity because everything else is exceptional

spiriticon

Err...'Morata' and 'top 3 left forwards' should not be mentioned in the same sentence.

Forget Mane, Sancho, Mbappe or Neymar. I'm not sure he's even better than Pogba in that position.

Ibn Battuta

Supports
Chelsea
Sometimes the best thing that can happen to a player is to get rejected by a big club, go through the French second division, move to PSV and join a top league at a mature age. I do not know his struggles, but he really seems to be that kid who was treated like star from day one. We saw it at Chelsea. The talent was there, but the pressure, the criticism, how does he handle it? Only he knows but from the outside looking in it almost seemed like he took offense, rather then let it drive him.

Now compare him with Werner. Werner is what he is, but the bloke has a top top mentality. He really does not care how many memes people make, how bad his misses are, he just keeps going 100%. Morata with Werners mindset would be lethal.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Maybe top 30.

Idxomer

How can he be a top 3 as a left forward when he never plays there?

That's like United fans saying AWB is one the best center backs in the world.