Álvaro Morata | Performances

Idxomer

He had a decent tournament and you gotta feel sorry for him by the end.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
He will always be super loved in Turin for his dedication and tenderness, so chin up and keep ready for next season, Alvaro! One of the best forwards out there, unfortunately not a born striker (he would be Ronaldo, in case).

SATA

I have lots of sympathy for him. Could see he had a lot of tension and relief in him with his equaliser celebration and let it all out

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
Is there a person in the world who didn't know he was going to miss the pen?

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
a bit unlucky, his wasn't worse than bonucci's. and of course he was the reason they reached penalties in the first place.
One of the annoying quirks of football is that the exact same penalty will often be described as either excellent or poor depending on whether the goalkeeper guesses correctly, something that will often have nothing to do with anything the penalty taker did.

That said, I was certain he would miss. Sometimes there's just an irresistible narrative at play and Morata being shite is one of them.

RyRoc

Looked motionless after that miss , almost as if he knew himself he wasn’t scoring it. Feel for him.

Phil

Felt for him. The bloke looked absolutely broken stepping up for it and after he missed.

His goal got them to pens and Almo missed too

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Devastating. Hope he bounces back quick. For all his frailties he does seem to keep ploughing on even with the world seemingly on his shoulders, so he should be able to shrug it off too.

Red Stone

I can't think of anything dumber than putting Morata on one of the most important penalties in a massive shootout like this, apart from subbing De Gea on right before the end of extra time. Peak levels of dumbassery from Enrique and his staff.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
I can't think of anything dumber than putting Morata on one of the most important penalties in a massive shootout like this, apart from subbing De Gea on right before the end of extra time. Peak levels of dumbassery from Enrique and his staff.
It's a funny situation. If you can't trust your striker for penalties, that's a problem surely. :lol:

MUFCAFC

Supports
Charlton, United
I feel sorry for the guy any time I watch him play, he’s just such a bag of nerves it’s sad. The complete opposite of what a striker is supposed to be in that respect.

If he can just fix the mental side of his game he’ll be unrecognisable.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Feel for him. Seems a nice lad. Decent player when he’s in the mood too. Hope he doesn’t take too much of a lashing.
He has all the tools for being a great striker. He just doesn’t put it together or isn’t able to. I also feel for him because the abuse he is already getting is sickening.

cyberman

Busquets forced him to volunteer in the huddle. Clear as day through the tv which is ridiculous, why force soneone who thinks he will miss?

kidbob

Is there a person in the world who didn't know he was going to miss the pen?
I knew Mbappe would miss too, after the game he had. In fact he was the sole reason for Pogba being a villain and not an absolute hero because he was the one that messed up so many chances that Pogba put on a plate for them.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
I honestly agree.

It’s a morbid thought but I wouldn’t be surprised if it takes something serious such as a footballer committing suicide for their mental health to finally be properly protected. It’s horrific what people can get away with.
It won't work. As soon as the dust settles people will return to type. Last February when Caroline Flack killed herself Piers Morgan was leading a be kind campaign, fast forward one month the Pandemic starts and he's abusing people to boost his profile.

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )
I quite like him and I was actually screaming like a crazy person at work today when he scored. I was hoping he'd score that penalty and finally get that monkey off his back :(

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
I quite like him and I was actually screaming like a crazy person at work today when he scored. I was hoping he'd score that penalty and finally get that monkey off his back :(
Should have had that monkey take the penalty instead.

hubbuh

He just looks like a sad sack doesn’t he? Makes you feel sorry for him. Got nothing against the lad but Spain would have pissed this tournament if they had anyone better.
Sad sack nails it. His body language before he hit it was excruciating. He looked like he wanted to curl up in a ball and cry himself to sleep

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
So all Morata achieved is getting the Italians more tired and helping England's cause. Someone must have told him that it's coming home.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
One of the annoying quirks of football is that the exact same penalty will often be described as either excellent or poor depending on whether the goalkeeper guesses correctly, something that will often have nothing to do with anything the penalty taker did.

That said, I was certain he would miss. Sometimes there's just an irresistible narrative at play and Morata being shite is one of them.

agreed on both. he looked wrong.

Gonçalo Motta

Apparently in 14 penalties he failed to score in 3 occasitions. 2 of those were in this Euro.

I assumed his penalty record as a bit worst tbf but now everyone will always remember him as the striker that can't score penalties. Sad truth

RooneyLegend

He will always be super loved in Turin for his dedication and tenderness, so chin up and keep ready for next season, Alvaro! One of the best forwards out there, unfortunately not a born striker (he would be Ronaldo, in case).
He's certainly not one of the best forwards out there.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
I don't agree with that, there's a reason players like Jorginho, Hazard and Fernandes score most of the time despite almost all their pens being "risky" penalties, they see where the keeper is going and simply roll it the other side more often than not.

lilcurt

Remember when we were debating him or Lukaku... I don't know if this guy really fell off or if he was never truly that good, but I can't remember seeing him play on the last couple of years and he not look awfully out of his depth and a bag of nerves.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I don't agree with that, there's a reason players like Jorginho, Hazard and Fernandes score most of the time despite almost all their pens being "risky" penalties, they see where the keeper is going and simply roll it the other side more often than not.
For that style of penalty where you are deliberately waiting to see which way the keeper goes, sure.

Most penalty takers in a penalty shoot-out just pick a spot and hit the ball though. And even if their penalty is central, weak and completely saveable if the goalkeeper happened to guess correctly, it gets described as a good penalty because it went in.

Robertd0803

Remember when we were debating him or Lukaku... I don't know if this guy really fell off or if he was never truly that good, but I can't remember seeing him play on the last couple of years and he not look awfully out of his depth and a bag of nerves.

Hindsight being wonderful but I sure am glad we didnt sign Morata. Also glad we got rid of Lukaku as well but there you go.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
I was wrong about Morata. I used to think he had A grade potential. He came up with some clutch moments in the Champions League, which gave me a false impression of him.

It was the same tonight, scores the equaliser but squanders several opportunities to do more.

He seems like the type that takes things to heart. Missing the penalty will be another whack at his confidence. It's maybe unfair but I can't see Spain winning a thing if he's their #9.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Done well to get the equaliser but a stinkinly shit pen.

He’s a bottler but I feel sorry for him.