Álvaro Morata | Performances

TheReligion

Abusive
I get that bit. But how do we know United weren't interested in him at any point ?
Oh no, I think we were. I think we pulled the plug though when we heard Lukaku wanted United. Also Madrid were possibly messing around a bit too much. Point is United got who they wanted, Chelsea got second prize.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Oh no, I think we were. I think we pulled the plug though when we heard Lukaku wanted United. Also Madrid were possibly messing around a bit too much. Point is United got who they wanted, Chelsea got second prize.
I agree although I doubt Chelsea get 2nd prize as Morata is going to be quite a player.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Stop kidding yourself. United didn't want him. He dyed his hair red and his missus was all over our instagram. He wanted the move.
To be honest it makes absolutely no difference to me. It's nice if a player has been a fan, but the whole 'he really wanted to go to x!' means very little. The only thing that bugs me a little is the idea that any of the clubs in England would be the first choice for everyone. It's simply not true these days.

salford_

fecking hell the dying of his hair is still being talked about? I thought at the time he did it for Spain tbh, seeing as they play in red. Albeit it was the summer

There is another interview where he said he told Conte last summer if i ever leave Madrid and Chelsea show an interest he will only pick them. Thats last summer, so even if he had a choice, he'd still have chose them.

The hair dying is a non story

djdhrubs

I wish we got him instead of Lukaku.
Yeah me too. Morata is far more intelligent a player and better at link up than Lukaku, who is a physical beast but fairly limited in his playing style but has the athletic attributes and Afro-Caribbean heritage that Jose seems to like so much. Lukaku may end up scoring many more goals than Morata, but that's not gonna convince me he's the better player.

Hook baited...

SirMattBugsby

Yeah me too. Morata is far more intelligent a player and better at link up than Lukaku, who is a physical beast but fairly limited in his playing style but has the athletic attributes and Afro-Caribbean heritage that Jose seems to like so much. Lukaku may end up scoring many more goals than Morata, but that's not gonna convince me he's the better player.

Hook baited...
Boy, you need to be redirected to the Pogba-Lukaku thread. Hint: it's about racial stereotypes.

Edit: Feck you white texter :mad: :lol:

Vato

Watches other men wank.Supports Real.Coincidence?
Supports
Real Madrid
Chelsea and Utd both wanted strikers this Summer, both Morata and Lukaku both appeared available

Utd went after Morata and Chelsea went after Lukaku. Utd were unable to agree a fee with Madrid which was probably down to the transfer of De Gea a few seasons ago, Chelsea couldn't agree a fee with Lukaku as they wasn't willing to pay the ridiculous agent fees. After failing for Morata, Utd bid for Lukaku and were happy to pay the agent fees, Chelsea then went after Morata, Madrid were much more open to selling him to Chelsea

Both teams ended with top class strikers who are both still relatively young. Morata fits into Chelsea's style more and Lukaku fits into Utd's team more and both strikers have made excellent starts

Don't see why there's anything else to argue about
Probably what this guy said.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Chelsea and Utd both wanted strikers this Summer, both Morata and Lukaku both appeared available

Utd went after Morata and Chelsea went after Lukaku. Utd were unable to agree a fee with Madrid which was probably down to the transfer of De Gea a few seasons ago, Chelsea couldn't agree a fee with Lukaku as they wasn't willing to pay the ridiculous agent fees. After failing for Morata, Utd bid for Lukaku and were happy to pay the agent fees, Chelsea then went after Morata, Madrid were much more open to selling him to Chelsea

Both teams ended with top class strikers who are both still relatively young. Morata fits into Chelsea's style more and Lukaku fits into Utd's team more and both strikers have made excellent starts

ManUtd offered contract to Lukaku months before we signed him, he accepted 3rd contract offer from ManUtd according to his friend. So instead of putting all the eggs in one basket we negotiated for 2 players, as soon as Lukaku accepted the offer we signed him.

Would have been interesting what would have happened if we agreed fee with Madrid much before Lukaku accepted the offer though.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

I think this is probably what happened. I'm not sure I believe this whole business about us being in talks with Lukaku for ages. All we heard about for much of the summer was Morata. I reckon he was initially first choice and when things got muddled with Madrid we went for Lukaku.

Anyway it's not really that important. Lukaku looks the better finisher while Morata the more well rounded footballer. Will be interesting to see who has the better and more successful season.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Glad we didn't sign him, he looks far from top class which is what we needed

cyberman

Having a shocker.
He holds up the ball pretty well but apart from that his level slips when he's not heading the ball.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
He is up there all alone with defenders surrounding him. Only so much one man can do.

cyberman

He's only isolated because his movement has been poor. The likes of Pedro and Moses have run off him many times in that first half. He's had plenty of support.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
I get that bit. But how do we know United weren't interested in him at any point ?
We definitely were. Jose confirmed that he wanted to come but the two clubs couldn't come to an agreement.

I wanted Morata but I'm very happy with Lukaku. They're both excellent players.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Surprisingly isolated. It's like Chelsea are the away team.

SirAF

Ageist
ManUtd offered contract to Lukaku months before we signed him, he accepted 3rd contract offer from ManUtd according to his friend. So instead of putting all the eggs in one basket we negotiated for 2 players, as soon as Lukaku accepted the offer we signed him.

Would have been interesting what would have happened if we agreed fee with Madrid much before Lukaku accepted the offer though.
This. United obviously negotiated with two players to keep their options open - when Lukaku gave the green light they dropped their interest in Morata.

haram

Are people really judging him off this game? He's isolated against 3 CB's and even then he has shown good bits of movement and play.

VanGaalEra

He's up there by himself, he's doing as well as can be expected.

Strange to criticise him on this game. Very good player.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Given a lot of people have spent most of the week saying he wasn't good enough (yet) to replace Costa, he gave them all a fantastic response.

Bojan11

Stoke were playing with two fullbacks and a centre back. It certainly helped him. They also decided to play a high line.

izec

Isn't that how football teams usually play, 2 fullbacks and a centre back or two?
They played with a back 5 against us and 3CBs in there (if you count Cameron as one). Today they had a back 4 and one of the CBs wasnt one, but Pieters played there

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
Don't think Lukaku would have managed to score Morata's second today. :p