Álvaro Morata | Performances

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Great player. Will have to live through the initial phase of being hurt by him doing so good after the muppet season :(

Android1974

Incredibly anal about player positions in lineups
Shrewd buy from Conte, a Italian wingback apparently great at crosses, will provide lots of balls for Morata's headers. Might be a decisive detail or at least keep them in the fight.

Kurosawa

Supports
Liverpool
Shrewd buy from Conte, a Italian wingback apparently great at crosses, will provide lots of balls for Morata's headers. Might be a decisive detail or at least keep them in the fight.
Does this ever work out in practice? I remember when we bought Downing 'the best crosser in the league ' for Andy Carroll...

Android1974

Incredibly anal about player positions in lineups
Does this ever work out in practice? I remember when we bought Downing 'the best crosser in the league ' for Andy Carroll...
It's already working for them, Morata has headed goals and assists. What's wrong with adding a good crosser to the options?

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
For all the discussion about his overall game, so far I'm most impressed by Morata's ability to consistently get himself into good positions for crosses close to the goal. The classical poacher stuff. He's a massive aerial threat and he is very intelligent in timing his runs (the goal against Italy is a perfect example).

So if Zappacosta is indeed a good crosser, Morata will certainly benefit from that. Dunno if Carroll has ever been good at reading situations and positioning, perhaps that was the problem?

Impulse

The flaw in your plan was that you signed Stewart Downing and Andy Carroll.

Don _ Conte

Supports
Chelsea
Also he's only played with;
pedro in 1 game (where they linked up well) fab for 1 game (our most creative player)
hazard not a single game yet (our bestplayer) so glad he's started well really.

Can only see him improving the more he plays for us and gets used to the team and system.

izec

He was always going to be class, but didnt know he was so good with headers. Quitea a beast

cyberman

He's scoring the goals that his fans told us he didn't score though. He was supposed to be this technical master and it was Lukaku who was the target man who only fed on crosses.
Funny that.

arthurka

Very good run but the pass was just magic.. But with proper defending he would never have scored that

OneUnited24

He's scoring the goals that his fans told us he didn't score though. He was supposed to be this technical master and it was Lukaku who was the target man who only fed on crosses.
Funny that.
Shows how top players can adapt their game to play to the strengths of their team.

But i'm amazed at his movement and pace.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Funny that.
I don't think anyone who has watched him a bit more last season could (or should) have claimed he's an outright technical master. Just that he's remarkably well-rounded and possesses every relevant ability to some extent.

JoaquinJoaquin

Been very impressed with him so far. I thought it would take him a while to settle but he has hit the ground running.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
He played an important role in Juve reaching the CL-final in 2015 and Real Madrid winning a double. With no serious injury record & him still being relatively young he was always going to do well IMO. Just a good allround striker.

ti vu

I think people mistook Morata lack the ruthlessness to realize his full ability. He is very good when the pressure piled up, but as quite some coaches & journos have been signing, for some reason he mentally decided to turn off the heat as being less lethal.

So far his goals for Chelsea has been come in crucial moment, yet here we still saw he missed glorious easier chance when it should make his team even more comfortable.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
He displayed some very good aerial skills in his YouTube clips. Pretty much the complete striker imo.
He's quite allround indeed but I still think he lacks the ability to force something himself. Diego Costa was capable of just bursting through a CB at will and blasting it in the net, I can't see Morata doing that yet.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
He's quite allround indeed but I still think he lacks the ability to force something himself. Diego Costa was capable of just bursting through a CB at will and blasting it in the net, I can't see Morata doing that yet.
For all his goal scoring skills, I think Morata will easily outperform anything Costa did at Chelsea.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
To be fair, his heading ability has always been quite good (including last season):
Hence the frequent Morientes comparison (they share a lot of other traits, too).

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
I've always liked strikers who can properly head a ball. It gives an extra dimension to your team knowing you have a striker that can score goals with his head.

AkaAkuma&

I personally preferred him over Lukaku. Lukaku is good, but Morata is a very intelligent striker who can not only hold the ball. but also bring his teammates into the play with his intelligent passing, Lukaku does not do this very well. Both are equal when it comes to finishing off chances.

ti vu

I've always liked strikers who can properly head a ball. It gives an extra dimension to your team knowing you have a striker that can score goals with his head.
Not saying anything about Morata but our problem is more about the crossers than the headers

FujiVice

Jose wouldnt have wanted him if he wasnt a quality player. He made the right choice, though.

ash_86

He's good in air and Chelsea are playing to his strengths. He'll score a lot

Raoul

Admin
Staff
The earlier pages of this thread are looking increasingly comical, replete with people posting psychological studies and challenging people to e-hardman bets about Morata's final goal tally.

CM

A goal/assist every 56 minutes so far. Pretty impressive.

I personally preferred him over Lukaku. Lukaku is good, but Morata is a very intelligent striker who can not only hold the ball. but also bring his teammates into the play with his intelligent passing, Lukaku does not do this very well. Both are equal when it comes to finishing off chances.
Lukaku is extremely intelligent as well, you have to be to position yourself and make the runs he does. You dont score almost 90 goals in the premier league without being intelligent. That being said Morata is pure class as well. Both will be up there for top scorer.

AkaAkuma&

Lukaku is extremely intelligent as well, you have to be to position yourself and make the runs he does. You dont score almost 90 goals in the premier league without being intelligent. That being said Morata is pure class as well. Both will be up there for top scorer.
But when it comes to seeing passes and providing assists, Morata has Lukaku beat. With quality like Mata, Mkhi, Rashford, Martial and Pogs around, having an eye for the pass can come in very handy. If Lukaku can not only score but see those passes, he will certainly be better than Morata.

NinjaFletch

See you've walked in to racist football cliches 101 here, Lukaku is black so therefore he must be dumb as rocks and Morata is white so must be intelligent.