g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Álvaro Morata | Performances

D2Z

Supports
Undercover "Chelsea fan" ;)
Sounds like we're attempting to fabricate reasons why we were correct in not buying him.
Pretty much Raoul hit the nail on its head.

I would be worried if I was Chelsea though, not for Morata, but for the way Conte has been acting since the end of last season. A bit of a primadonna.

Nick7

I'm sure that's the convenient way to look at it now that we got Lukaku, but I doubt it was ever that simple. We were clearly interested in Morata as well.
and we chose not to sign him for Lukaku? I thought that was obvious.

Fooza

Sounds like we're attempting to fabricate reasons why we were correct in not buying him.
He's going to get scrutinised for every little thing he hasn't done well. It's not only us United supporters that will try justify the buying of Lukaku and not Morata; the Chelsea supporters will have to because he is replacing Diego Costa. Big shoes to fill.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I dont think anybody is, except for the obes that actually did think Morata suddebly became a (near) world class striker.
It happens all the time. We don't buy a player then attempt to justify why we were correct when he has an uneventful game.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
and we chose not to sign him for Lukaku? I thought that was obvious.
We actually don't know that. All indications were we preferred him over Lukaku then switched positions when Perez wouldn't lower the price.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
He's going to get scrutinised for every little thing he hasn't done well. It's not only us United supporters that will try justify the buying of Lukaku and not Morata; the Chelsea supporters will have to because he is replacing Diego Costa. Big shoes to fill.
I don't disagree with the last bit.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Did he actually dye his hair red? His hair actually has a ginger look. Plus he has shaved it as though it was red before and he looks miserable. Hilarious if true.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
I'll be surprised if Conte's still with Chelsea next season.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Knew that he'd be missing his penalty the second the game went into penalties. Looks unhappy to be there

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Some ridiculous posts in this thread.
How many minutes had he played...20?

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
God forbid Lukaku has a stinker in his first game next week. You lot are brutal.
Many were not convinced about Morata when we were linked with him tbf.
Personally I think he is a good player, but having the responsibility of being the leading scorer in a side isn't something he is used to so its going to be interesting how he handles that.
What ever is going on with Conte as well seems to be another dynamic, Contes comments recently can't be filling Morata with confidence.

Personally I hope he does well, not well enough to win Chelsea the league though of course.

Nick7

We actually don't know that. All indications were we preferred him over Lukaku then switched positions when Perez wouldn't lower the price.
Doesn't make a lick of sense to me. Why would we spend more on Lukaku than we would have on Morata if we wanted Morata more?

I think he's a good buy for Chelsea and don't think we can judge him on today. But I think we got our first choice in the market.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
It happens all the time. We don't buy a player then attempt to justify why we were correct when he has an uneventful game.
Lots of people didn't want Morata in the first place. We don't have perfect evidence of that but it was a consistent theme in the Morata thread and there's an indication of it in here. The fact that you were so keen on him is clouding your judgement here, IMO. It's possible to be critical of a player we were once interested in without being a "jilted lover". Just because people don't share the same view as you doesn't mean they're being irrational. That's incredibly condescending.

kps88

Its the jilted lover syndrome
He had a bad game so people will naturally criticise him. He'll get praise and "wish we signed him" posts when he has good games too.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Lots of people didn't want Morata in the first place. We don't have perfect evidence of that but it was a consistent theme in the Morata thread and there's an indication of it in here. The fact that you were so keen on him is clouding your judgement here, IMO. It's possible to be critical of a player we were once interested in without being a "jilted lover". Just because people don't share the same view as you doesn't mean they're being irrational. That's incredibly condescending.
Except that its rather farcical to be critical of a player who made his debut as a sub for a few minutes. The way people are jumping on him is pretty telling. The correct way to do it is wait til he has a run of about 10-15 fixtures before making an informed assessment as opposed to rolling into these threads like a scalded cat to proclaim he's been disappointing.

Sad Chris

Some ridiculous posts in this thread.
How many minutes had he played...20?
Of course it's too early for the jury, but in 20 minutes he managed to:
- be at fault for Arsenal's equalizer
- missed a free header that would've won it for them
- missed a penalty

I think he'll be very disappointed with a start like this.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
He had a bad game so people will naturally criticise him. He'll get praise and "wish we signed him" posts when he has good games too.
He didn't actually have one bad game. He made a 16 minute debut as a sub.

Devil_forever

You're only young once, you can be immature f'ever
Head of the naval division of lolibfascon
Classic BS kneejerking. The kid comes on for a few minutes and doesn't score in the Community Shield and this is somehow a thesis as to his quality.
Not knee jerk, feel free to see my posts from when we were linked with him all the way through to when Chelsea were stupid enough to pay big money for him, then my prediction in the lukaku vs moratta thread. Watching him in Castilla showed what a bang average player he was. Not much has changed.

OneUnited24

Its the jilted lover syndrome
Not at all. If you read back over the transfer thread a load of people werent sure about spending that kind of money on him. People were excited at us signing someone but plenty questioned his quality for that price.

Personally i couldnt care less if he does well or not (well i do if it helps them win the league) but for now i'm more curious to see how he fairs in the season

izec

He is good and wont be a terrible signing, but he will be measured by that fee and to Lukakus output. The knifes are out already

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Not knee jerk, feel free to see my posts from when we were linked with him all the way through to when Chelsea were stupid enough to pay big money for him, then my prediction in the lukaku vs moratta thread. Watching him in Castillo showed what a bang average player he was. Not much has changed.
I certainly hope it hasn't after 16 minutes of football.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
He's a good player. He'll take time to settle. Whether he'll be afforded it is another question. No doubts that he's a downgrade on Costa.

EyeInTheSky

You've changed your story from "typical caftards saying x, y and z" to "ok so they're not saying it, but it's being implied" to "ok so it hasn't been implied but I'm anticipating it". That's quite something.
not at all. People were doing that before my post. Just because I did not put verbatim does not change the fact it was being implied. Also, it's called paraphrasing and captured the spirit of what people were syaing. He was being judged already as a failure.

Funny thing is my argument was that it WAS being implied and you have just literally made up an argument in your head that I have said "ok so it hasn't been implied".

Let me make it simple for you. It IS being implied and that is my argument. Looks like you're changing your story and have hypocritically set up a straw man. Rather Ironic.

Not sure why you are getting so worked up over it. Guess I have the power of foresight as everything I said is coming to fruition. Aside from implying that people were already questioning him based on a few minutes in his first game, it was also said in the spirit of how I anticipated the reactions which you now have had to concede are happening. Joking aside it's not rocket science it was obvious it was going to happen.

Are you ok now or do you need more clarification? Word of advice don't go on a crusade over a lazy and unclear comment. Lifes to short.

King.of.Red

always like him just I hope he wont do well in chelsea and move to other club sooner. :lol:
from today match, still early to judge him. however I'm still not sure if he is the right striker for Conte. Mitchi looks better for me.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Except that its rather farcical to be critical of a player who made his debut as a sub for a few minutes. The way people are jumping on him is pretty telling. The correct way to do it is wait til he has a run of about 10-15 fixtures before making an informed assessment as opposed to rolling into these threads like a scalded cat to proclaim he's been disappointing.
We make judgements on things in a split second and make erroneous predictions on things every minute. That's how the human brain has evolved to function. It might be nice to think that you're immune to these biases but the reality is if he'd scored a goal, you'd be pointing to it as evidence that he's settling in quick. We know that because you've done it before and because you're prone to the same biases, in this case confirmation bias. You're holding back on expressing those snap judgements because a) there's nothing to support your previous views yet and b) it's socially desirable to present yourself as reasoned, calculated and objective.

The funny thing is in this case, there's no confirmation bias on my side as I wanted us to sign Morata, think he's a better option for us than Lukaku and expect him to be a success. I just opened the discussion because it's possible he might not be, and the reality is he struggled in his cameo today. That doesn't mean he'll be a failure but we shouldn't hold back on commenting on it. Particularly not when people are employing bully tactics when others express opinions that are different from theirs.

The simple reality is that Morata has some obvious weaknesses and we got a glimpse that those weaknesses might prove extremely problematic at Chelsea. His biggest issue is his fairly timid mentality and that was clear as soon as he got on the pitch. Whether he'll be able to shake that off is a matter of opinion but people aren't judging him from this cameo alone, they're looking at this cameo in the context of his career and making suggestions about it. They are undoubtedly biased but your opinion is also biased.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
We make judgements on things in a split second and make erroneous predictions on things every minute. That's how the human brain has evolved to function. It might be nice to think that you're immune to these biases but the reality is if he'd scored a goal, you'd be pointing to it as evidence that he's settling in quick. We know that because you've done it before and because you're prone to the same biases, in this case confirmation bias. You're holding back on expressing those snap judgements because a) there's nothing to support your previous views yet and b) it's socially desirable to present yourself as reasoned, calculated and objective.

The funny thing is in this case, there's no confirmation bias on my side as I wanted us to sign Morata, think he's a better option for us than Lukaku and expect him to be a success. I just opened the discussion because it's possible he might not be, and the reality is he struggled in his cameo today. That doesn't mean he'll be a failure but we shouldn't hold back on commenting on it. Particularly not when people are employing bully tactics when others express opinions that are different from theirs.
And I'm actually fine with us having signed Lukaku. He'll do well here.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
He's a good player. He'll take time to settle. Whether he'll be afforded it is another question. No doubts that he's a downgrade on Costa.
He's not the same player, which is probably why Conte wanted Lukaku. I worry that he will throw the kid under the bus in one of his hissy fits, instead of playing to his strengths. It will just be like Conte to use him as though he did buy Lukaku and then blame him when he realises he isn't.

Litch

Too early to say but I can see why they wanted Rom, I think he'll suit their style of football better than Morata.....

Walters_19_MuFc

Way too early to make an assessment on him, but I always preferred Lukaku to Morata, simply because Lukaku is more of a proven goalscorer at the moment.

Akshay

Staff
We can't know for sure, but Koeman's rant against United in April in response to a question about interest in Lukaku was pretty indicative to me. Didn't we also end up paying more for Lukaku than we ever bid for Morata?

hobbers

He's a big step down from Costa whatever happens.

Costa was so fundamental to how they played last season. Moreso than Hazard or Kante or anyone else, I would say.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
We can't know for sure, but Koeman's rant against United in April in response to a question about interest in Lukaku was pretty indicative to me. Didn't we also end up paying more for Lukaku than we ever bid for Morata?
I think we payed more for Lukaku, but that could be because Perez may have had to work with Chelsea on the price since they were the final realistic bidders for him.