Álvaro Morata | Performances

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
During which he performed badly...
Judging a new signing in a new league on a sixteen minute cameo in a glorified friendly. Let's wait until the real season starts before we begin to judge him. For what it's worth, I do believe he was overpriced and he was hardly the ideal player to replace Costa, but I'll give him at least half a season before I begin to evaluate him.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
He's a big step down from Costa whatever happens.

Costa was so fundamental to how they played last season. Moreso than Hazard or Kante or anyone else, I would say.
Don't think it will help Chelsea that Hazard is out or that they sold the experience of Matic. I blame Conte and Pedro for today.

DomesticTadpole

Judging a new signing in a new league on a sixteen minute cameo in a glorified friendly. Let's wait until the real season starts before we begin to judge him. For what it's worth, I do believe he was overpriced and he was hardly the ideal player to replace Costa, but I'll give him at least half a season before I begin to evaluate him.
God knows what some will be like if Lukaku doesn't score next Sunday and Chicharito does.

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
He wasn't first choice at Juve and that was probably because Conte didn't believe he could get the goals they needed to beat the majority of teams in the Serie A. He was the preferred option in tight games against top teams when his hold-up play, tactical understanding, workrate and involvement in the build-up were more important, but he only started 1/3 of games in the Serie A across two seasons for a reason.

It wouldn't be a huge surprise if he ends up playing a similar role for this team if Batshuayi scores a few goals and Morata struggles to hit the ground running.
Indeed. Conte is clearly looking for another striker.

The United Irishman

"Martial is championship material at best"
Pretty much Raoul hit the nail on its head.

I would be worried if I was Chelsea though, not for Morata, but for the way Conte has been acting since the end of last season. A bit of a primadonna.
Rubbish! There were quite a lot of us including myself who never wanted him and preferred the likes of Lukaku who we knew guaranteed goals and was already proven at Premier League level. We aren't fabricating anything, just echoing what we thought throughout the Morata saga, and relieved we recruited the better striker. Some people just don't like being wrong on the caf.

kps88

Sounds pretty myopic to judge a player based on 16 minutes of a sub debut. Maybe you have sort of special wisdom in this regard.
He played badly. Don't understand why it's so wrong to say that. No one (sane) is saying he is going to be a failure at Chelsea based on a 16 minute appearance. Even the OP says "Curious to see how things work out for him".

DomesticTadpole

Lukaku's known to have 'stinkers', but often scores to make up for it.
He has looked good in pre-season but I would have hoped for more goals, especially against the likes of Barca and Real. He will have a big test on Tuesday, so hope he can show something against the types of teams we will meet in Europe.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
He played badly. Don't understand why it's so wrong to say that. No one (sane) is saying he is going to be a failure at Chelsea based on a 16 minute appearance. Even the OP says "Curious to see how things work out for him".
He didn't play badly. Not scoring a goal in 16 minutes and missing a pen is not playing badly.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
I didn't watch the game but I think he should retire immediately.

DomesticTadpole

Lukaku scored a beauty against Man City in his first game ;)
Would be interesting to see if he does against the Man City that is ripping teams apart now. I know he did for Everton, but their defence is better now, especially at fullback, if they get another CB they will be a real danger.

freeurmind

weak willed
Happier with Lukaku than with Morata though it's hard to judge Morata at this point in his career given that he's spent more time on the bench for Juve and Real than on the pitch.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
I'd feck his wife given a chance.

kps88

He didn't play badly. Not scoring a goal in 16 minutes and missing a pen is not playing badly.
He was responsible for the Arsenal goal, did nothing of note in attack and missed a penalty. As far as 16 minute cameos go, that's as bad as it gets.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Morata looks like Pedro to me. He may well come good but he ain't ever gonna get Lukaku's goal numbers.

We nearly signed Pedro too and i'd not be happy with those instead of Lukaku and Miki.

Akshay

Staff
I think we payed more for Lukaku, but that could be because Perez may have had to work with Chelsea on the price since they were the final realistic bidders for him.
Yeah, Morata's final price was probably down to Madrid and Chelsea negotiating. I thought we had a bid for Morata rejected that was higher than Chelsea's final price though? That's what I was referencing - that our final bid for Morata wasn't as much as Lukaku's price, ergo it suggests Woodward decided to forgo Morata once it seemed Lukaku was similarly costed.

Of course it could also be that we didn't think Madrid were going to sell to us for anything less than ridiculous.

The United Irishman

He was responsible for the Arsenal goal, did nothing of note in attack and missed a penalty. As far as 16 minute cameos go, that's as bad as it gets.
Exactly! If this was Rooney's performance the place would be going insane at how bad he played.

Raoul

Admin
Staff

No he wasn't. Kolasinic was being marked by two other Chelsea players. The fact that Morata allowed him to be onside doesn't negate the responsibility of the players marking Kolasinic.

kps88

No he wasn't. Kolasinic was being marked by two other Chelsea players. The fact that Morata allowed him to be onside doesn't negate the responsibility of the players marking Kolasinic.
I disagree. Kolasinic got the run on his marker because Morata went too early and played everyone onside. He'd have been offside and his marker vindicated if Morata held the line correctly.

Walters_19_MuFc

He has looked good in pre-season but I would have hoped for more goals, especially against the likes of Barca and Real. He will have a big test on Tuesday, so hope he can show something against the types of teams we will meet in Europe.
Often how it goes, though. Can have the best performance and not score, or have a shite performance and bag a hat trick.

Ultimately, as you said, though, he will be judged in the so called 'bigger' games. Hopefully he delivers.

Robbie Boy

Some of the bollox in here is hilarious and there's some serious pompous, pretentious arguments taking place :lol:

Fully Fledged

He reminds me a bit of ADM when he came to Man Utd. Never wanted to be there and had the wrong attitude all season. Wanted away at the first opportunity. Can see him leaving next summer.

Conte's outburst about not signing Lukaku wont have help his confidence either.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
He reminds me a bit of ADM when he came to Man Utd. Never wanted to be there and had the wrong attitude all season. Wanted away at the first opportunity. Can see him leaving next summer.

You got that from 20 minutes of action?

Peanut Butter

Morata looks like Pedro to me. He may well come good but he ain't ever gonna get Lukaku's goal numbers.

We nearly signed Pedro too and i'd not be happy with those instead of Lukaku and Miki.
:wenger:

He's nothing like Pedro.

Seriously, what's happening with the football forums these days? Morata is an excellent striker and will probably do well at Chelsea.

Just watch - he'll score a hat trick on his full debut and the naysayers will change their tune and meltdown because we have Lukaku, not Morata.

Footy fans.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Its the jilted lover syndrome
Except he didn't reject United, we pulled out of negotiations in favour of another player. Also a lot of people on here didn't want him. Also he's a very expensive signing for the league champions so he's going to be under intense scrutiny.

But other than that yea it's just jilted lover syndrome.

Fully Fledged

Not particularly. At least not until he's played something like 1600 minutes as opposed to 16.
I don't think anyone can take this thread seriously at the moment. It's all over the top knee-jerk reaction. Some of it just staged while others on here overreact to the slightest bit of data. Like when Lindelof gave away a pen against RM.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner

PL season hasn't even started yet and we're getting posts like this :lol: :lol:

The United Irishman

:wenger:

He's nothing like Pedro.

Seriously, what's happening with the football forums these days? Morata is an excellent striker and will probably do well at Chelsea.

Just watch - he'll score a hat trick on his full debut and the naysayers will change their tune and meltdown because we have Lukaku, not Morata.

Footy fans.
I'll be fecking quoting this one next week.