Álvaro Morata | Performances

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I used the word 'lethal' for a reason. Diego Costa (a bit like Drogba) always pops up with a goal when you need him to.

I would take Costa over Morata (and Lukaku in case someone thinks i'm being biased) because he does more for the team and scores important goals.

Costa has been instrumental in two title winning teams with classical counter attacking managers. He is a premium no.9. Far above the level of Morata.
I'm not sad that Morata missed all his chances. I just think these blips in form are temporary. The kid will rebound, as will Lukaku. Both quality players.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
Never said he is better than Kane. Just that he hasn't played nearly the same amount of minutes as other strikers like Kane and Lukaku. His goals to minutes ratio is still far better than Lukaku's this year.
Lukaku isn't elite, he's not the comparison or the benchmark.. according to you anyway. 35-40 goals you predicted at the end of season for Morata, up there with world's best by end of season which means at the level of Lewandowski and Kane. Hence, my post.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Lukaku isn't elite, he's not the comparison or the benchmark.. according to you anyway. 35-40 goals you predicted at the end of season for Morata, up there with world's best by end of season which means at the level of Lewandowski and Kane. Hence, my post.
Feck...I thought I was in the Morata v Lukaku thread. :lol:

Nevermind then.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
He isn't really. Costa never knocked in more than 20 league goals which is exactly where Morata is heading this year. He had a bad game and is off form, which happens.
Costa did score 27 goals in La Liga in 13/14. Or were you only referring to his Chelsea days?

UnseenMaster

Supports
Chelsea
That was worse than any Torres performance I've ever seen. Morata was horrendous. He cost us 3 point today.

Want to see Conte back Morata after that shit show now.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Not at all. He's on 12 goals at the half way mark in fairly limited playing time.
He's played 1,342 minutes in the league - more than he did across the entirety of last season, and more than e.g. Rooney would typically would in an average half-season. And Morata managed to score 15 league goals in those fewer league minutes at Madrid. Given you said this just a couple of months ago...
Not particularly surprising. So far he's doing it at around the same rate he did it in Spain last year.
...it brings us back to this point:
Do you think quality footballers lose their ability to play football based on whether they are subbed on or not ?
Did he suddenly get worse, playing about double the amount of games?

If you extrapolate his goals per minute record across all competitions this season - 1 goal every 154 minutes - to playing every minute across a 50 game season, he'd have scored...under 30 goals.

And yet your view a couple of months ago of what was pretty realistic was...
If he's Chelsea's main striker, which he will be, then 50 appearances in all comps is very possible and 35 goals pretty realistic.
I don't know how you think the numbers add up to your initial predictions being realistic...but hey-ho. Psychology and all that.

Posh Red

Lukaku v Morata, the striker position is at a low ebb if they are the 2 best candidates available.

Perhaps all the strikers are just playing wide forward in this era.
Had this exact thought watching the game. Was always an assumption that you need a 25-goal-a-season striker to win the league. But when I think about it, there are fewer and fewer of these types of strikers at the top clubs these days.

Kostov

I'm sure both managers are frustrated with both strikers at the moment. Conte is probably a bit more visceral about it, where as Jose seems to prefer deflecting it to avoid heaping more pressure on Rom.
You can't know those things. Jose has absolutely praised him about his effort and commitment. Lukaku never had a shocker in front of the opposition goal as Morata did tonight. He actually was very good vs Arsenal. He fecked it up against City though :D
In 400 more minutes of football.
And that works both ways. Maybe if we rested him more often, we would have reaped the rewards of a fresher striker.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
He's played 1,342 minutes in the league - more than he did across the entirety of last season. And he managed to score 15 league goals in those fewer league minutes at Madrid. Given you said this just a couple of months ago...
He's actually played 1432. Lukaku has 1814

Infra-red

Indeed. Safe to say they have both underperformed somewhat this year.
Agreed:

League and Europe 2017/18

Kane - Goal every 87.7 minutes
Salah - 94.7
Sterling - 101.6
Aguero - 104.3
Firmino - 134.1
Jesus - 136.5
Rooney - 145.1
Morata - 162.3
Lukaku - 167
Lacazette - 190.9

Not very impressive at all.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Agreed:

Salah - 94.7
Sterling - 101.6
Aguero - 104.3
Firmino - 134.1
Jesus - 136.5
Rooney - 145.1
Morata - 162.3
Lukaku - 167
Lacazette - 190.9

They will both improve. Both are quality players who are not nearly playing to their full potential at the moment.

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
Agreed:

Salah - 94.7
Sterling - 101.6
Aguero - 104.3
Firmino - 134.1
Jesus - 136.5
Rooney - 145.1
Morata - 162.3
Lukaku - 167
Lacazette - 190.9

Rooney outperforming Morata, Lukaku and Lacazette. How embarrassing

Kane is completely ridiculous. I'd swap £90 mil and Lukaku for him right now.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Morata has scored 12 goals this season, of which 7 are from headers, this is a glaring deficiency in his game that he is so reliant on crosses to score. If he were my teams striker I would be very worried about his lack of goals from playing on the ground.

Furthermore, one would think that a striker supposedly filled with good technique, would score most of his goals with his feet. When it comes to the type of goals he scores and the quality of his hold-up play; he seems very much like a pure finisher rather than the so called 'all round' striker some have penned him as.

I think he's a good striker, but is lacking things in his play.

Nick7

They will both improve. Both are quality players who are not nearly playing to their full potential at the moment.
Agreed. Both good players. How good they will be is up in the air though. Interested to see what Lukaku's mental strength is like. Wonder if Morata can kick on and be a #1 striker consistently.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
That was worse than any Torres performance I've ever seen. Morata was horrendous. He cost us 3 point today.

Want to see Conte back Morata after that shit show now.
Lol

Don't get me wrong im not excusing Morata but you have a really selective memory if you think thats worse than anything Torres off all people produced.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
Agreed:

Salah - 94.7
Sterling - 101.6
Aguero - 104.3
Firmino - 134.1
Jesus - 136.5
Rooney - 145.1
Morata - 162.3
Lukaku - 167
Lacazette - 190.9

For strikers at new clubs yeah, surprised to see Lacazette that low. No peep from media about him under performing though.

Nick7

The wonders of penalties. Non of the other three are regular penalty takers like Rooney is.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Lukaku v Morata, the striker position is at a low ebb if they are the 2 best candidates available.

Perhaps all the strikers are just playing wide forward in this era.
Harsh but probably true. To think Drogba and Rooney were competing up front for these sides. Standards have dropped across the board when it comes to number 9 IMO.

Torres, RVP, Drogba, Rooney, Tevez were the CFs in 2008..

Lukaku, Lacazette, Morata, Firmino (who I do rate).. lots of works in progress compared to those guys and even at City.. Aguero is past his peak and Jesus is overrated

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Agreed. Both good players. How good they will be is up in the air though. Interested to see what Lukaku's mental strength is like. Wonder if Morata can kick on and be a #1 striker consistently.
This is where the mental game kicks in. Both are off form so it will see who has the stronger head game to recover and resume scoring.

ti vu

Indeed. Safe to say they have both underperformed somewhat this year.
Agreed:

Salah - 94.7
Sterling - 101.6
Aguero - 104.3
Firmino - 134.1
Jesus - 136.5
Rooney - 145.1
Morata - 162.3
Lukaku - 167
Lacazette - 190.9

This stat is not fair to someone like Lukaku and to some extend Morata. Their teams ain't overall attacking full stop and create countless chance every games. Sometimes you can feel Lukaku ain't fed enough. Lacazette stats is damning though knowing how Ozil is on form for a while now and Lacazette got a of a decent start earlier

Nick7

Harsh but probably true. To think Drogba and Rooney were competing up front for these sides. Standards have dropped across the board when it comes to number 9 IMO.

Torres, RVP, Drogba, Rooney, Tevez were the CFs in 2008..

Lukaku, Lacazette, Morata, Firmino (who I do rate).. lots of works in progress compared to those guys and even at City.. Aguero is past his peak and Jesus is overrated
To be fair Drogba was at Guingamp at their age.

cyberman

Its very telling that when Lukaku underperforms he gets roasted but when Morata does they're both thrown under the bus .
Poor Lukaku! He doesn't get the "well they're all pretty average" breathers in his breakdowns

Bobski

Had this exact thought watching the game. Was always an assumption that you need a 25-goal-a-season striker to win the league. But when I think about it, there are fewer and fewer of these types of strikers at the top clubs these days.
Predictability is never a good thing for an attack. I loved our team in 06/07 with Saha up top and Giggs, Rooney and Ronaldo constantly interchanging positions behind them, none of them tied to feeding a one dimensional goalscorer. Much healthier set up to have that fluidity.

The death of traditional wingers(create first) is tied to lower level of out and striker of this era. The reverse true as well, game developed away from that pattern for the moment.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
This stat is not fair to someone like Lukaku and to some extend Morata. Their teams ain't overall attacking full stop and create countless chance every games. Sometimes you can feel Lukaku ain't fed enough. Lacazette stats is damning though knowing how Ozil is on form for a while now and Lacazette got a of a decent start earlier
Yep, good points. The overall performance of the team can't be ignored in both instances.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
He's actually played 1432. Lukaku has 1814
Rooney at his peak in 09/10, 10/11 and 11/12 played an average of 2,596 league mins. Suárez in 12/13 and 13/14 played an average of 2,960 league mins. Kane in 14/15, 15/16 and 16/17 played an average of 2,829 mins.

Across all of them - the undeniable elite strikers of that period in the PL - the average minutes played was 2,795. Morata is on track to play 2,560 mins.

In other words describing that as fairly limited playing time doesn't make any sense.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
Tonight's misses were inexcusable. They weren't even tough chances. They were chances I genuinely think I would score.

Don't know what Conte was playing at taking Hazard off and leaving him on.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Rooney at his peak in 09/10, 10/11 and 11/12 played an average of 2,596 league mins. Suárez in 12/13 and 13/14 played an average of 2,960 league mins. Kane in 14/15, 15/16 and 16/17 played an average of 2,829 mins.

Across all of them - the undeniable elite strikers of that period in the PL - the average minutes played was 2,795. Morata is on track to play 2,560 mins.

In other words describing that as fairly limited playing time doesn't make any sense.
He's obviously not a full time striker since his contemporaries have hundreds more minutes of playing time.

UnseenMaster

Supports
Chelsea
Lol

Don't get me wrong im not excusing Morata but you have a really selective memory if you think thats worse than anything Torres off all people produced.
Let me ask you one time question... Did Torres ever miss 3 1 vs 1 in a single game?

breakout67

Supports
Man City
He's obviously not a full time striker since his contemporaries have hundreds more minutes of playing time.
I think you might be missing something here. If multiple top managers have limited his game time, the fact that he doesnt get more game time is usually a mark against him.

Do you think all Conte needs to do is play him more and he'd have scored 15-20 goals by now? Why would a top manager not do that if it was so simple?

cyberman

If anything that stat tells us Lukaku is overplayed rather than having any game time advantage

Posh Red

Predictability is never a good thing for an attack. I loved our team in 06/07 with Saha up top and Giggs, Rooney and Ronaldo constantly interchanging positions behind them, none of them tied to feeding a one dimensional goalscorer. Much healthier set up to have that fluidity.

The death of traditional wingers(create first) is tied to lower level of out and striker of this era. The reverse true as well, game developed away from that pattern for the moment.
That's an interesting way of looking at it. I suppose there are traditional forwards out there such as Harry Kane and Robert Leeandoski but they are few and far between.

Slightly unrelated, but how do you think a striker like Kane would do for a club like city and how much do you think he would improve them? May sound like a daft question given Kane's record.

Last post for today anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:

Infra-red

The wonders of penalties. Non of the other three are regular penalty takers like Rooney is.
If you take penalties out of the equation, then Rooney does indeed drop two places to below Morata and Lukaku. Lacazette remains in last place though!