2017 in music

Stringer

Vince Staples new album(Big Fish)is really really good.
I'm actually enjoying it more than the new Kendrick album. Very different sound to his previous release and I'm a fan of the shorter running time. A lot of rap/hip-hop albums are over a hour long for no reason.

Sweet Square

I'm actually enjoying it more than the new Kendrick album. Very different sound to his previous release and I'm a fan of the shorter running time. A lot of rap/hip-hop albums are over a hour long for no reason.
I'm not a huge fan of Kendrick(:nervous:) so no surprise I like it more than DAMN.

745 is my favourite tune so far, also loving the UK female vocals bits in the album.

Last edited:

Unlikely lad

Sufjan and Bryce Dessner's collaboration (along with another 2 guys), Planetarium has been out for a week or so, and it's absolutely brilliant.

Stringer

I'm not a huge fan of Kendrick(:nervous:) so no surprise I like it more than DAMN.

745 is my favourite tune so far, also loving the UK female vocals bits in the album.
Get him! Nah I'd agree actually. Like GKMC and DAMN but really hated TPAB. Borderline unlistenable to me.

Yeah that one is a standout as well as Bagbak, Homage and Yeah Right. The Kendrick verse and production on Yeah Right is insane.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
Two weeks ago or so King Gizzard & the Lizard Wizard released their second album this year, 'Murder of the Universe'. It contains a lot of narration on top of the tracks, but musically they still sound familiar both in terms of vocals and instrumentation, it's the old kraut-rocking, psyched-up garage but they actually start dipping their toes in more heavy stuff. Some tracks reminds me of stuff like 'Nuclear Fusion' from the preceding record while others lift riffs from other songs, the interlude 'Some Context' features the 'People-Vultures' riff off 'Nonagon Infinity', 'The Lord of Lightning' has the Mind Fuzz medley riff and so on. There's also a couple of "Nonagon Infinity" shouts across the record and 'The Balrog''s chorus is song in a similar way to the chorus from 'Trapdoor' off 'Paper Mâché Dream Balloon' from a few years ago. It's giving quite a lot of credence to the Gizzverse theory.

Oh and you can actually play the album up to 'Some Context' and put on 'Nonagon Infinity' from 'Mr.Beat' and play it all around to 'People-Vultures' and go into 'The Reticent Raconteur' and it doesn't sound weird. Mental fellas, these.

Stringer

So halfway through the year my favourite albums so far (in no particular order):

1. Slowdive - Slowdive
2. Father John Misty - Pure Comedy
3. Fleet Foxes - Crack Up (this one has grown on me massively)
4. Vince Staples - Big Fish Theory
5. Thunder Dreamer - Capture
6. Forest Swords - Compassion
7. Kendrick Lamar - DAMN
8. The XX - I See You

Last edited:

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I was a bit disappointed with Young Thug's album, had hoped for something less generic.
I quite like it but it does sound like one of those albums that I'll look back on in a few years and wonder why I liked it. Kind of Lil Wayne-ish at times. Some good tracks on there though, I do enjoy me some Young Thug.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
My fave albums so far are probably DAMN, SATURATION, Beautiful Thugger Girls and RTJ3 (I kind of count it as 2017). Haven't found too much this year compared to the same time last year.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Tyler's two new songs are f*cking quality. The beat on Who D.at Boi is insane and 911/Mr Lonely is so good.

The production on both is quality.

Last edited:

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Fleet Foxes' new album is just wonderful.

Going to try some of the other highly rated albums soon as I've barely hear anything this year other than a bit of pure comedy and perfume genius' new one.

robinamicrowave

Wanted to be bran, ended up being littlefinger
Supports
Man City
All the albums I've listened to this year, loosely ranked.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
Tyler's two new songs are f*cking quality. The beat on Who D.at Boi is insane and 911/Mr Lonely is so good.

The production on both is quality.
Both so so so good. Instant classics for me I can't stop listening. Just top stuff.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Wasn't impressed by The Shins' newest album when it came out but it has grown on me a bit since.

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
Didn't listen to much of 2017 music, but these two are finest of those I did hear.

Rahim AlHaj - Letters from Iraq: Oud and String Quintet

Emel Mathlouthi - Ensel

Nickosaur

Arcade Fire's album joins the Gorillaz album on the 'meh' shelf this year.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Weren't the Arctic Monkeys recording new stuff back in like October '16? Where's that got to :lol:

IhabX7

Didn't listen to much of 2017 music, but these two are finest of those I did hear.

Rahim AlHaj - Letters from Iraq: Oud and String Quintet

Emel Mathlouthi - Ensel
It's Ensen. Which means human in Arabic with a Tunisian (French influenced) dialect. Been wanting to check it out for a while.

LoveInTheAsylum

Stuff I've enjoyed this year:

I was most looking forward to a new Land Of Talk. I didn't like Inner Lover as the initial pre-release track, but hearing the live version completely flipped me. Hoping the rest grows on me like the previous album Cloak and Cipher did, but it still feels like her incredible sense of melody is missing - you can kind of hear it on This Time, but the previous albums had special moments in nearly every song. Really glad she's making music again, regardless.

Had no idea a new New Year album was coming out. Their previous ones felt patchy, but I've enjoyed this as much as any Bedhead album. Probably my most played / favourite release this year. Recent History is everything to love about the Kadane Brothers.

The new Guerilla Toss is a battle between my stupid dislike of synths & love of The Tubes. Think the great writing wins out. Love the video for The String Game so much, it adds to the track's obsessive quality.

I can't get over how great a track Mythological Beauty is. The rest somewhat pales in comparison, but does pick up from Great White Shark. Haley's a beautiful track.

Disappointingly didn't like any Two Inch Astronaut track nearly as much as the two pre-release singles. Still happy for any new music, love the sound & occasional amazing ear for melody. I'm convinced they'll eventually make one of my favourite albums.

Don't feel I've got a great handle on the new Imaad Wasif, but it's consistently enjoyable all the way through. Still expect Tom Waits to start singing on Far East, the start sounds distractingly like Big in Japan.

Almost didn't make it all the way through Ratboys' GN after the first few tracks washed over me a couple of times. Later started from Crying About the Planets one time & had that weird effect where one track makes the rest of the album click into place. Really like it now.

Alex G still feels like Ryan Adams to me where a lot of different sounds are aped without sounding distinct to him. I do love bits of his writing like the simple looped finish to the vocals on Proud - so great as the music changes underneath.

Out in the Storm is the most I've ever got into Waxahatchee, though I think it's pretty top heavy. Have had the first 3 tracks on repeat a lot. 8 Ball is great.

Cheer Accident sound more Canterbury/Camel than I ever thought they would, still not sure what to make of it, but have played it a lot.

The PC Worship is really mixed, I do love Help though. Bless American public access tv & whatever crazy show this is that's had some great bands play.

New Tara Jane O'Neil sounds really nice but I have to be in the mood for it to leave much of an impression. Sand is gorgeous, though.

Similarly the new Aimee Mann has some great tracks on it, but as an album I find it hard going. I loved the poppier sound of the first two albums that created a better balance, I think.

Some EPs:

Really happy they gave Shadow Expert a studio release as it was my favourite track from their Audiotree session. The rest of the EP's just as good, think they're all tracks they've had for a while.

Consistently enjoyable, Backlash is monstrous.

The last minute & a half of Fountain of Good Fortune perfectly bookends it. The title track opener is one of my favourites so far this year.

& some tracks:

Couldn't fully get into the new Chastity Belt, but I've played Complain over and over. Something about the detached/unhurried vocals over the deceptively rushed music makes it really tempting to sing along to.
Felt meh about a new Broken Social Scene until hearing Halfway Home, which got me really excited, only to find out it's the only track I like.
And I really like the Tancred track that for whatever reason was left off the album last year. Looking forward to new music.

Really excited for a new Ovlov, Alvvays & German Error Message.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Arcade Fire's album joins the Gorillaz album on the 'meh' shelf this year.
I used to love them but I've not even been interested in listening to their new album for some reason.

Nickosaur

Oh lord, Brand New have released their fifth album. Been 8 years since Daisy.

Nickosaur

The National's new album has been out a couple of weeks. Some of it is kinda different to their usual stuff but I really like it. LCD's new album is great too.

Wolf Alice's second album out today. Haven't had a chance to listen yet but critics rating it at 82 so far, which sounds promising.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
So halfway through the year my favourite albums so far (in no particular order):

1. Slowdive - Slowdive
2. Father John Misty - Pure Comedy
3. Fleet Foxes - Crack Up (this one has grown on me massively)
4. Vince Staples - Big Fish Theory
5. Thunder Dreamer - Capture
6. Forest Swords - Compassion
7. Kendrick Lamar - DAMN
8. The XX - I See You
Excellent taste sir. Great record.

Hullyback

Supports
Liverpool FC
You know you've finally gotten old when you either don't know who the current popular bands are, or you're at least aware of them but couldn't name a song. That time has come for me :( there's very little on my 3000+ saved song list that's post 2010 and that's pretty sad.

I think Arctic Monkeys are probably the most recent band I have most albums of and they're hardly new. I'm like them dudes off People just do nothing, I'm stuck in a certain period of time, the fact I have some UK garage makes it even worse.

Brown Toothpick

Supports
FC Barcelona
I used to love them but I've not even been interested in listening to their new album for some reason.
Album as a full project is underwhelming, especially after Reflektor. But there are some really good songs throughout it that you'd like.

hubbuh

Need to listen to full album but it's looking good.
First thing I thought after 5 seconds was Massive attack's Teardrop.

Manchester keeps doing some interesting things. Chunky is a big part of the music community there.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
Definitely gonna check out some Four Tet :) The Massive Attack comparison caused me to listen, and yeah, I'm very curious...

"Utopia" is only a month away :drool:

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Marxist bacon-hating kebab-dodging Tinder rascal
Scout
Listening to Slowdive's Slowdive for the first time and thinking it's pretty great. Definitely going to listen to their other albums now.